Does the GX1 get much love?

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
BamaPanda
Senior MemberPosts: 2,127Gear list
Like?
Does the GX1 get much love?
May 1, 2012

Looking to upgrade from my EPL1 ..and have about made my mind up for the EP3 w/14-42 kit lens. It can be bought refurbished for 599.00 (619 in silver) @ Cameta.

A new EP3 w/14-42 can be had for 949.00 - 150.00 rebate = 799.00

The EP3 (refurb) fits my budget, but I still want the OMD ...

So then up pops the Panny GX1 ...NEW ...with the better sensor; no low light focusing issues and the kit 14-42 lens (not the power zoom) for 699.00.
http://www.adorama.com/IPCDMCGX1SK.html

So why is this camera not getting much love? It looks to have about all that the EP3 has, except for in body IS + many of the better qualities of the OMD. What am I missing?

Not sure about that lens, but I did read that it was as good or better than Oly's kit lens (12-42 Mk II R)

Comments?

Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,295
Like?
Re: Does the GX1 get much love?
In reply to BamaPanda, May 1, 2012

You're not missing anything, the GX-1 is an excellent and competent cam that owners ate too busy shooting to talk much about it.

It's no secret, my personal unit has a color cast problem I could never quite override, but I attribute that to sample variation. Despite this mild annoyance I wouldn't hesitate warmly recommending it to anybody, it's a great camera.

The size and ergonomics are perfect , the build is superb, operation is seamless, AF via touchscreen is absolutely brilliant.

I come from high end DSLRs and the GX-1 never left me wanting for better controls or more dials.
The sensor is excellent.

I wish the movie mode offered manual aperture control, which is a niggle for me, but certainly no deal breaker.

Mine almost never parts with the PL25/1.4 and I'm constantly amazed at the quality output I get out of this combo. You can check my previous posts, I'm not a great photographer but that will give you an overall idea of how the cam performs.

I think the GX-1 just didn't get as much hype as the GH-2 or E-M5, but for stills it's probably very close (if not as good) ...

I do have an E-M5 on order, but I'd better be a very serious upgrade in operation or it's going back to the store.

Marla.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BamaPanda
Like?
In reply to Marla2008, May 1, 2012

I guess the biggest plus Oly has is the ability to use a lot of legacy glass with it's built in IS.

For me, though ..I have to ask the question if I would actually go there. I have had my EPL1 for a while now ...ever with the idea to buy some old glass.

I have yet to make that leap.

Decisions; decisions ...hate them sometimes !

peter ny
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?

BarnaPanda,

I absolutely agree with Marla, though I don't experience the color-cast. I've shot with the GX-1 since January. I like both its build and image quality very much, as well as the way it handles and how easy it is to customize. I think it's a terrific camera, but of course you have to weigh what qualities are most important to you in deciding what to buy.

Peter

PGR streetshooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 969Gear list
Like?

It gets love from me. It's a great street machine with amazing IQ, especially with the Panny 20. AF is extremely fast and accurate.

Nuff said, I love it and don't care what else is available...except my GXR28 of course.
--
http://www.streetshooter.us

PGR streetshooter's gear list:PGR streetshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,747Gear list
Like?

BamaPanda wrote:

So why is this camera not getting much love? It looks to have about all that the EP3 has, except for in body IS + many of the better qualities of the OMD. What am I missing?

Not sure about that lens, but I did read that it was as good or better than Oly's kit lens (12-42 Mk II R)

Comments?

I think there is a lot of enthusiasm for the GX1... it's just sandwiched in between some excellent competition from the likes of the EP3, G3, EM-5, GH2, etc. I think the EM-5 discussion has sort of overwhelmed this forum lately, but the GX1 folks are out there.

Personally I was excited about the GX1 when it was released. I've been shooting a GF1 since January, 2010... and the GX1 seemed like the logical upgrade for me. Then the EM-5 appeared and it made me consider switching to an Olympus camera for several reasons:

• The LVF1 viewfinder is almost always attached to my GF1, so I might as well get a camera with a built-in EVF. The G3 is a bargain, but doesn't have enough external controls and buttons for me. The GH2 has a lot to love, but lacks IBIS.

• IBIS would be nice to have. I shoot a lot in low light with primes like the 20mm f/1.7 and 45mm f/1.8. It would be especially nice to have for the 45mm.

• The 5-axis IBIS steadycam effect for video. I have cared much for shooting video, but now that I have a toddler and another baby on the way...I'm shooting video much more. I hate the shaky handheld video look, but you can't always keep the camera on a tripod when shooting video of a toddler.The new IBIS looks like it offers a big improvement for handheld video.

On the other hand I know that I would just love the GX1. It's still a slimmer profile (even with the LVF2), and I just like the way my GF1 handles. I wish that I could own both, but I suppose I have to make a choice. Just a few years ago m4/3 was in its infancy and the big downside was a lack of options (especially in the lens department). Now we have some truly excellent options for cameras and lenses. Quite a bit of progress in a short period of time.

As far as the lenses go: The older Panasonic 14-45 kit zoom has a better reputation than the newer Panasonic 14-42mm, but I don't think you will see much difference between any of the m4/3 kit zooms without pixel peeping.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,051Gear list
Like?
Why would it not get much love?

It looks like a good camera. Solid but not weather sealed (but not many cameras are). No tilting lcd. No EVF, no IBIS and the 14-42x lens that would make the GX1 into a very compact package has a blur problem that Panasonic continues to ignore.

The GX1 with a normal 14-42 zoom lens is priced attractively compared to the main rival, the Olympus E-M5.

I got the E-M5 instead because I like to have IBIS, a tilting displsy, an EVF, a kit lens with 24mm-equivalent wide angle. I realize the price premium for this is large. But I don't believe I would have been unhappy with the GX1 if the E-M5 did not exist.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/ .

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,935Gear list
Like?
hush....Keep It a Secret....you're driving the price up

Damn you, keep it hush and don't scream about it...... GX1 is the best kept secret in m4/3 world, and I'm hoping to snatch one up on discount in the used market

But I agree with you that GX1 is an overlook camera. The main reason is that this forum is mainly dominated by past regular 4/3 shooters who have extensive experience with Olympus. Most of the top poster here are the same names I've seen from regular Olympus forum years ago. Since Panasonic quit regular 4/3 rather early, it never gather much fan based to convert to m4/3. Where as most Olympus has converted to m4/3.

Its not just GX1, but also:

• E-PM1 get more attention & love than GF3

• E-PL2 got more attention & love than GF2

• Pen1+2 got more attention & love than G2/G10/GH1 etc..

Only 3 Panasonic camera managed to claim some attention:

• the break-through GF1

• the video-centric GH2

• the top value G3

These 3 Panasonic aside, its is clearly an Olympus world. I don't mind it, as I prefer buying everything cheap 2nd handed and Panasonic are the best bargain on the used market.

BamaPanda
Like?
Focus assist light
In reply to 007peter, May 1, 2012

I note that the GX1 has an assist light ...just as does the EP3.

Is this the help that it gets in low light situations ..OR, is the low light performance more on par with the OMD ...sans the assist light ?

One of the most aggravating things about the EPL1 is focusing in low light. I know an assist light helps ..but to be able to focus quickly in low light without it would be even better.

From what I read ..the OMD does this. Can the GX1?

peter ny
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
Re: Focus assist light

I haven't tried the camera with the assist light turned off, but the camera's user manual indicates that it will be more difficult to focus in low light without the assist light. In any event, with the assist light turned on, the camera's focus is fast and reliable, at least in my experience with the 25mm f1.4, the 45mm f1.8, and the 14mm f2.5. Hope that helps.

Peter

007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,935Gear list
Like?
Re: Focus assist light, old GF1/2 has them too

BamaPanda wrote:

I note that the GX1 has an assist light ...just as does the EP3.

yeah...finally an Olympus with focus assist light. In my opinion, all camera should have one as it dramatically increase af speed in low light.

Is this the help that it gets in low light situations ..OR, is the low light performance more on par with the OMD ...sans the assist light ?

I have GF2 with a low light focus assist beam. If I cover the F.A.B with my finger, the camera really struggle to find focus. Uncover it, the focus is instant even under very dim light.

One of the most aggravating things about the EPL1 is focusing in low light. I know an assist light helps ..but to be able to focus quickly in low light without it would be even better.

Ep1, EP2, EPL1 are just terribly SLOW in low light AF. In fact, it was Olympus E-PL1 slow af + cheap plastic construction + low quality LCD that makes me completely dismissed m4/3 all together.

It wasn't until I came across someone a Panasonic GF3 on vacation that changed my mind about the m4/3. His GF3 that focus just as fast as my Canon T1i DSLR. I also appreciate the solid metal body and small size. Unlike Olympus E-PL1, all Panasonic LCD are top rated 3" 460K. I hated E-PL1's low quality LCD, the Panasonic 3" 460k is as good as my Canon T1i 3" 930K.

You should try them, any GF1/ GF2 / GF3 / GX1 are a beauty to hold and fast to perform (in low light) yet are usually cheaper than similarly equip Olympus.

Blue Orca
Regular MemberPosts: 115Gear list
Like?
I love my GX1 and GF1...

Never liked the look and the user interface on the Olympus bodies, but I do use lenses from both Panasonic (14-140, 14-42X, 20, 7-14) as well as Olympus (12mm/f2, 45mm/f1.8 and a FT 50mm macro.)

My prior camera was a compact P&S Canon G7, so I love the small form factor on the said Panasonic bodies and most MFT lenses, and I don't miss the EVF. I don't have many legacy manual focus lenses from my Nikon FH3 days, and I mostly shoot wide angle landscapes, group photos, or close-ups on inanimate objects, so I do not care the lack of IBIS on the Panny bodies, and am well served by the OIS on the Panasonic 14-140 and 14-42X lenses.

I was very impressed by the GF1 image quality and shooting performance when I switched from the Canon P&S. The 7-14 zoom was the primary reason I got onboard and continue to stay on the MFT bandwagon. I just love the improvements Panasonic made on the GX1. Now I bring the two cameras with me on vacation to save some lens switching time in the field.

At the end, do get the camera that you like and works for you. Don't let the fan fare or the volume of posts about a particular camera / brand distracts you. Good luck.

Blue

Blue Orca's gear list:Blue Orca's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
technotic
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?

I think it doesn't get talked about that much because they generally just work and few people have issues with them. It's a nice upgrade from the GF1 but not ground breaking. The EM-5 stole its thunder but it has advantages such as being smaller and WAY cheaper (for now at least) and not far behind in performance. If a camera does not get talked about a lot here then it's probably a good thing because nobody has found systemic problems with it and it's not overhyped - it just does what it says on the tin.

vincent filomena
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,104Gear list
Like?
The Magical G3 will love you MORE...
In reply to sean000, May 1, 2012

The G3 does it all

and has a stealth touch Flippy !

Vjim

vincent filomena's gear list:vincent filomena's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
BamaPanda
Like?
In reply to peter ny, May 1, 2012

peter ny wrote:

I haven't tried the camera with the assist light turned off, but the camera's user manual indicates that it will be more difficult to focus in low light without the assist light. In any event, with the assist light turned on, the camera's focus is fast and reliable, at least in my experience with the 25mm f1.4, the 45mm f1.8, and the 14mm f2.5. Hope that helps.

Peter

So ..what I am hearing is that with the assist light turned off, the GX1 would be pretty much in the same boat as my EPL1 using the kit lens.

That is OK ..I guess. It just throws me back to pondering a decision with new info.
Oly EP3 - 599/619 (refurb) ..Oly color & OBIS ..possibly overall speed.
GX1 - 699.00 (new) improved sensor.

I am determined to stay with m4/3, even with a low light focus issue. I am sure a Canikon DSLR would give me better low light focus ..but it is just a matter of time before there are no more issues like this. Hopefully by then I will have invested in a cache of nice lenses, and will never look back.

Thanks for all the input. This has been very useful.

PGR streetshooter
Like?

Of course it depends on the lens you use...

I use the 20mm and it will focus very fast in very low light if you find contrast.

The thing is, it needs just a little contrast. I don't use that light thing on any camera.
It's a great camera with a small footprint.

-- hide signature --
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,747Gear list
Like?
Re: The Magical G3 will love you MORE...
In reply to vincent filomena, May 1, 2012

vincent filomena wrote:

The G3 does it all

and has a stealth touch Flippy !

Vjim

heh... the G3 is without a doubt the best bargain among the Panasonics. I just wish that it had two more buttons on the back and an eye sensor

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
PGR streetshooter
Like?
Re: Not correct

The GX1 focuses better than any M43 camera under any lighting conditions.
I'm sure the new Oly GhAwD is better but I haven't tried it.
It's a great improvement over anything in m43 history.
--
http://www.streetshooter.us

Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,295
Like?
In reply to PGR streetshooter, May 1, 2012

Just for info, I have (and love) the GX-1, and briefly owned the E-PM1, which boasts the "latest" 12mp Oly sensor, same as E-P3, just before the new E-M5 sensor.
Well, the 16mp Panny is head and shoulders above the Oly sensor for IQ !

Better resolution/detail, sharpness, clarity, not even to mention noise, it's just waaayyy better in every department.

And yes, the GX-1 focuses like a charm under any lighting condition, just don't expect useful continuous AF and you'll be fine.

PGR streetshooter
Like?
In reply to Marla2008, May 1, 2012

Marla2008 wrote:

Just for info, I have (and love) the GX-1, and briefly owned the E-PM1, which boasts the "latest" 12mp Oly sensor, same as E-P3, just before the new E-M5 sensor.
Well, the 16mp Panny is head and shoulders above the Oly sensor for IQ !

Better resolution/detail, sharpness, clarity, not even to mention noise, it's just waaayyy better in every department.

And yes, the GX-1 focuses like a charm under any lighting condition, just don't expect useful continuous AF and you'll be fine.

Marla, Marla, Marla.... funny how that works. I actually find that the 20mm focuses faster on the GX1 then any other including the GH series. As far as IQ goes, I ain't no peeper but I do like to make large prints. Well.....I love this camera.....

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads