D3200 Focus Speed

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
justmeMN
Senior MemberPosts: 1,388
Like?
D3200 Focus Speed
May 1, 2012

DRP's preview of the Nikon D3200 states in part:

"Having exclusively used mirrorless cameras for the past few months, it's nice to use even the D3200's small optical viewfinder again. Its autofocus isn't as fast as some of its recent mirrorless rivals (especially with the kit lens), when performing a single AF acquisition,..."

I'm surprised. Is there something about high-MP that slows down autofocusing?

To be honest, I thought that all DSLRs focused faster than mirrorless cameras.

Nikon D3200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tbolt47
Senior MemberPosts: 1,396Gear list
Like?
AF Speed
In reply to justmeMN, May 1, 2012

I would expect it to be as quick as the D3100, but mirroless camera AF over the last few years have got a lot quicker, which is good as contrast detect being more accurate means we are not too far away from getting rid of the DSLR (when they perfect the electronic view finder anyway).

Tbolt47's gear list:Tbolt47's gear list
Olympus E-620 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
Re: AF Speed
In reply to Tbolt47, May 1, 2012

DPR are notably vague about numbers and well they don't really have any at all.

They've also missed some very obvious AF problems on some makers/models..I'd look elsewhere for AF information if I'm being quite blunt about it.

Imaging resource usually post AF speeds and they test them in their reviews, I've found them a reasonable indicator over the years (take not lenses vary etc)

On the other hand speed is one area, accuracy is another I'd put a lot more weight on accurate AF than break neck speeds.

Rolfens
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tbolt47, 2 months ago

Maybe we will "get rid" of DSLRs when their lens offerings (including lenses from Sigma, Tamron, etc) will be have equivalents - quality and performance-wise - for mirrorless, and at similar prices.

Rolfens's gear list:Rolfens's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,264Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rolfens, 2 months ago

I find very little difference between the focus speed of my Nikon 1 and my D3200 - even when using the same lenses - except in low light where the D3200 snaps on quicker.

The D3200 is not a tardy camera though and is perfectly good for most situatuions.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
DigitalPhilosopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 632
Like?
In reply to Sonyshine, 2 months ago

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

On the other hand speed is one area, accuracy is another I'd put a lot more weight on accurate AF than break neck speeds.

Very true.

Sonyshine wrote:

I find very little difference between the focus speed of my Nikon 1 and my D3200 - even when using the same lenses - except in low light where the D3200 snaps on quicker.

That's the whole point. Differences between camera levels are revealed when the light disappears - both in terms of AF performance and of image quality. In sunlight, even a compact camera can produce vivid, contrasty, sharp images - and its AF will be fast and accurate. Try it in a dark club, and you'll see a heck of a lot more difference.

-- hide signature --

Check my blog for reviews, tips & tutorials:
Amateur Nikon

Follow me on Pinterest

Twitter: @amateurnikon

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads