This Is My Camera

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 25,231Gear list
Like?
This Is My Camera
May 1, 2012

This is my camera. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My camera is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My camera, without me, is useless. Without my camera, I am useless. I must trigger my shutter true. I must shoot steadier than my peer who is trying to outshoot me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My camera and myself know that what counts in this life is not the shutters we click, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the exposures that count. We will expose with consideration...

My camera is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my lens element clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before Askey, I swear this creed. My camera and myself are the defenders of my expression. We are the masters of our sensors. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until photographs are perfection, and there are no dust motes to clone away.

I have to say, I wanted to adapt to the things the Pens required of one, and it wasn't difficult. But it's really nice to have the immediacy of two dials with the OMD, and not to have to think, even subconsciously, about the detachable EVF when stuffing it in a pocket or bag. Along with all the rest, that is.

It's just another camera, one of hundreds. But this one IS mine.

Still getting acclimated with the new files and such. Here's a few - please join in and show what you've been doing as you get up to speed with it.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +17 more
Bob Tullis
Like?
???
In reply to Bob Tullis, May 1, 2012

What happened to the EDIT function?

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: ???

Bob Tullis wrote:

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

It will come when things went to normal, DPR had a problem on the first server, then changed to the second, but they said there is no data loss, what happens now is that with the edit, and a time lapse, but soon it will be all fixed

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Agitprop
Regular MemberPosts: 314
Like?
Re: This Is My Camera

Beautiful images, Bob.

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?

Good images all, but liked more the black and white ones, first and second are the favorites

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, May 1, 2012

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Good images all, but liked more the black and white ones, first and second are the favorites

There are issues in these, but it's a start.

BTW, Aleo, whenever I've recently seen your latest work I've just not had the time or mindset to comment. Outstanding is what often comes to mind when I regard your wide landscapes - I just thought it should be said while I have the wits about me.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

AoxoA
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?

You are not embarrassing the camera Bob, that's for sure.

I loved the creed, although it did flash me back to that day in boot camp when I spent 8 hours in the San Diego sun screaming...

This is my rifle, this is my gun...

This is for killing, this is for fun... all the while up/down up/down with said weapon.

heh

AoxoA

AoxoA's gear list:AoxoA's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
panos_m
Senior MemberPosts: 1,199
Like?

Bob Tullis wrote:

Currently DPR forums live one hour to the past :). Wait one hour for the time counter to become zero and then you will have your usual 20 minutes to edit your posts :).
I like your images and especially the processing :).
--
Panagiotis

Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,293
Like?
In reply to panos_m, May 1, 2012

Bob, your images are excellent and your text inspiring. Cameras are just objects, but they truly matters to some of us.
You certainly made a great use of yours.

Now I wish I could get excited about the E-M5 in the mail (I'm not), and stop thinking about the X Pro...

Marla.

Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
You're an amazing photographer Bob

. . . Those first thee are stunningly good.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Reybabes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,465
Like?
Re: You're an amazing photographer Bob
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, May 1, 2012

Bob - great images... and a wonderful and creative narrative expressing how you feel about your craft, art... and camera.

I too am bonding with my OMD out here in the Wild West of America.

I'll speak for myself here... but I've been searching for so long for The One, I actually started believing there was such a thing.

Great shots.

Rey

-- hide signature --

The best things in life aren't things...
http://500px.com/reyspadoni

cosmoxl
Contributing MemberPosts: 581Gear list
Like?
nice!

I enjoyed your photos very much

P.S. didn't Askey leave DPR some time ago?

cosmoxl's gear list:cosmoxl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more
LincolnB
Senior MemberPosts: 3,616Gear list
Like?

Very clever post. Thanks for that!

I think I'll upgrade to something or other once I've exhausted my little G2! Still have a ways to go ...

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +4 more
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,836Gear list
Like?
Re: too much GAS?
In reply to Marla2008, May 1, 2012

How many new cameras do you have?

Panny GX1 and others.
Oly OM-D (possible buyer's remorse?)
Sony NEX7.
Now you are thinking about the X Pro 1?

Hey dude, you definitely have a serious case of GAS?

Regards.

Marla2008 wrote:

Bob, your images are excellent and your text inspiring. Cameras are just objects, but they truly matters to some of us.
You certainly made a great use of yours.

Now I wish I could get excited about the E-M5 in the mail (I'm not), and stop thinking about the X Pro...

Marla.

-- hide signature --

Like others here, I suffer from chronic GAS.
Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
a few hundred nautical miles SW : 17º 52S, 149º 56W

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +6 more
dcassat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
Marla, I think you may change your mind...
In reply to Marla2008, May 1, 2012

Marla2008 wrote:

Marla.

Marla, I think your experience with the other Oly you played with may have soured you on the OMD?

I certainly understand how that might be possible. Until the last few days I'm not sure I would try to change your mind but NOW, the OMD is the real deal and certainly worthy of extra consideration and an attempt at a change of heart...?

The Oly interface will not get in your way as the small issues that were apparent should be handled differently and make a much better experience for the end user. I haven't fallen into this group until now but I think the OMD really is bound to be a great camera and you might consider falling in love with it! I know I can provide about five tips that make the Oly much more usable as everyone else that's used it extensively knows.

You are a .JPG shooter and THIS camera will not disappoint you. Now repeat that over and over

-- hide signature --

Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,843Gear list
Like?

Bob Tullis wrote:

it will appear 1 hour after you posted

love frame 2 BTW

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

-- hide signature --

Riley

any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
dcassat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
Congratulations on the new tool!

I look forward to your posts and photos ALWAYS and now... well... the writing adds to the experience.

You still see things that I do not. Dang!

Signed humbly, the student.

-- hide signature --

Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,893Gear list
Like?
In reply to AoxoA, May 1, 2012

AoxoA wrote:

This is my rifle, this is my gun...

This is for killing, this is for fun... all the while up/down up/down with said weapon.

I don't think killing is for fun. This is just the kind of brainwashing the US army/marines etc. has to nail in the head of those soldiers who will go around the world harming other people who weren't even attacking them.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +18 more
Diane B
Forum ProPosts: 20,475
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, May 1, 2012

As an aside and not in defense, but I believe the 'fun' was not referring to the rifle AIR from hearing this over the years.

Diane
--
Diane B
http://www.pbase.com/picnic
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38647240@N00/

.Sam.
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,008Gear list
Like?
beautiful

the images... and specially the poem

-- hide signature --

.Sam.
E-M5/GF1+20+45 & Pentax K20D - ist* DS - ZX-5 - LX
Photos: http://www.flickr.com/shadzee/
Pentax Resources: http://pentaxsearch.com/

.Sam.'s gear list:.Sam.'s gear list
Sigma DP2 Pentax *ist DS Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads