OM-D?

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
cxsparc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,346
Like?
Re: Speaking of tripods...
In reply to Just Having Fun, May 3, 2012

@Justhavinfun: Going through this thread, I can't help but notice that each of your posts has a condescending, patronising tone. Maybe you might think about that.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
Re: Speaking of tripods...
In reply to cxsparc, May 3, 2012

perhaps she's not having fun ???

cxsparc wrote:

@Justhavinfun: Going through this thread, I can't help but notice that each of your posts has a condescending, patronising tone. Maybe you might think about that.

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,194
Like?
deadly combination of negativity and non-Nex user

cxsparc: @Justhavingfun: Going through this thread, I can't help but notice that each of your posts has a condescending, patronising tone.

Thanks CxSparc for clarifying what had vaguely been feeling. Will add it's kind of forum litter for anyone such as JustHavingFun to post extensively on a Nex forum who has never owned a Nex. Easy to see if you consider the childish-attention-getting-absurdity, of any of us Nex owners going on to one of the specialty Micro Four Thirds forums. And repeatedly and exhaustive "informing" those folks of specifications and laudable aspects of some camera they don't have, or detailing our imaginations and speculations about how unsuitable their cameras would be for us.

I'm not saying JustHavingFun is dumb, or is a bad person, or doesn't take good pictures, or doesn't know anything about their Alpha camera. Am just frightened as to how hard it would be to pick through and find informative posts on a Nex forum, if it was endlessly full of information about non-Nex cameras, composed by non-Nex owners.

Why have a forum named after one line of cameras, if the posts in it are not largely confined to reports from people who actually use that line of cameras. I say largely because it would be overly sensitive to complain about occasional non-jarring comments from non-Nex owners here, on any topic. But a rainfall of by-definition-ill-informed, negative, thread-diluting nattering, from someone who doesn't even own a Nex and thus has no possible unique insights, reduces the pleasure of the forum for the vast majority of readers. Not saying such posts should be illegal or are an outrage against humanity, they're just on the average needlessly reducing the quality and desirability of the forum.

DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,789Gear list
Like?
Re: deadly combination of negativity and non-Nex user
In reply to RussellInCincinnati, May 3, 2012

What's worse is that people who push other cameras (Just Having Fun) in here seek a false neutrality, that is, they seek to establish "mutual respect" for their camera system in a foreign forum, while letting their own home forums trash our camera, often participating in such trashing, and trashings elsewhere.

Don't let their even tone and supposed, "can't we just respect each others cameras," here fool you into thinking that they mean well. They are not saying the same elsewhere, and on balance they are actually being aggressive, not by any means neutral nor respectful. They just say what best suits the situation to further their aims.

Earlier on in this thread I posted a response to Just Having Fun spelling out what my particular ethics are when it comes to behavior in their forum. In case nobody got it, this phenomenon was what that was in reference to. I was hoping that Just Having fun's better nature would take over and see that this is not the place to push her camera system of choice... but I don't think she cares.

Or rather, I think she cares more for other motives.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
Re: deadly combination of negativity and non-Nex user
In reply to DtEW, May 3, 2012

frankly I have never understood why anyone would post in the forum dedicated to a camera system they weren't using. Its just weird - - -I chose the NEX system and I did it after researching and and making a decision as to what I wanted and what was important to me.

Why would I go over and post in the 4/3 forum?

The only reason that would make any sense for this type of behavior would be if the person were doubting their choice and felt the need to some how convince the people who made a different choice that they were wrong as a way to feel better about their own bad choice

really sick if you ask me

-- hide signature --

NEX-7 & Sigma 30mm f/2.8
NEX-5 & 18-55 OSS
And a spare black 18-55

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
DVSteve
Contributing MemberPosts: 910
Like?
Re: OM-D?
In reply to dka91, May 3, 2012

dka91 wrote:

Fair enough, you are clearly an example of someone who would need and use it.

It doesn't mean there are some who dont need it but make assertions that they do.

Add me to the list of someone who absolutely needs it as well. However, on the flipside, most people who argue against weathersealing are doing so in a fairly limited scope, that being rain. I live in the desert. Most of my outings in the warmer months involve hiking or backpacking in extremely dusty conditions. The Oly sealed cameras are quite effective against dust and grime, along with their sealed lenses. I also travel quite a bit & oftentimes to very rainy places. I won't stop shooting just because it is raining. I also always bring cameras along when skiing, kayaking & mountain biking. So, in my case, weathersealing is a must.

I do actually take the 5n with me skiing because it fits handily in a jacket pocket. I only have the kit zoom as there is no other standard zoom yet available. I'm not impressed with the lens whatsoever & absolutely hate the camera. But, the sensor is simply fantastic. Still debating on dumping the 5n for the EM-5.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/

nzmacro
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,737Gear list
Like?
Ahhh nope do you

Just Having Fun wrote:

I noticed you either you don't read what people post or can't comprehend what they post.

It is funny that you repeat what others say and act like they never said it. LOL!

Maybe get some testing done. I am only trying to help.

nzmacro wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

Just a few of my "sports" lenses. Pretty small compared to the bigger ones..

You are talking about small zooms there.

Lets try this again. Those are small zooms.

Now your turn fro reading : Have you ever lifted and hand held a 400mm F/2.8 ??.

Do you know the most stabilised item for a lens besides small zooms are a tripod or monopod ??. We were discussing large lenses.

Why insist on trying to tell us that peaking is not that great compared to IBIS. Where on earth do you tie the two together to make a point. I do know what I use.

On the Panasonic G2 with the Panny lenses I turn OIS off.

On the NEX I have no use for IBIS, it would be turned off. So........ at the end of the day I use OIS 0%, I would use IBIS 0% but I use focus peaking 100%. If the OMD had peaking I would be interested.

Why are you over here trying to peddle the OMD in the NEX forum. Can't you read the forum titles ??. Not just one post about it, but also trying to tell us we are taking our shots wrong as well and how it would us, maybe for you but thats a different story. You even try telling a pro sports shooter how to go about it. Gees us.

Danny.
http://www.birdsinaction.com

http://www.macrophotos.com/g2macro

Worry about the image that comes out of the box, rather than the box itself.

nzmacro
Like?
Agreed Marty
In reply to Marty4650, May 3, 2012

Marty4650 wrote:

In an odd way, you actually helped me make my point.

In my post I started out on the right foot by saying "tripods work great."

But then, as you pointed out, my generalizations were wrong. When I say "no one buys" or "everyone wants" I was projecting my own wants on everyone.

You demonstrated that people have various and divergent motives for wanting a smaller camera, and you are right.

Some people prefer to carry around a 8 kg tripod, because it actually does the best job of stabilizing a camera, and some other people would rather leave their tripod at home.

So... isn't it better to have IS (either on your camera body or built into your lens)?

You can always switch it off, those times you don't want it.
And you can always switch it back on, those times you do.
Just like 100 other features your camera has.

When you switch it off, it is just like you never had it. So everyone can choose whichever stabilization method they prefer.

Even Panasonic, Nikon and Canon give you this choice by offering IS lenses.
NEX, NX and X-1 Pro do not.

Marty

I'm all for having something, either IBIS or OIS for sure. Theres not too many of us that don't have a use for it and the majority that get new cameras demand it. I completely understand that. We generally use higher shutter speeds Marty and thats the end of stabilisation. I'm going on 60 and don't plan on hand holding the larger lenses, too heavy now days :). BTW, I forgot about Alupang in here who also uses a 300mm F/2.8, so theres at least 5 of us in the same boat.

All the best Marty and yep include something in the camera or lens. I just don't think that guys like justhavingfun understand the issue. Heck I might end up with the Oly yet as an upgrade for the m4/3.

Danny.

nzmacro
Like?
Nice shot Ed
In reply to edwardaneal, May 3, 2012

edwardaneal wrote:

shot hand held, no tripod, no oss or ibis. Nikon D200 & 10.5mm f/2.8

1.5 second exposure @ f/2.8

if you find ways to brace yourself you can often get shots you wouldnt think were possible

Llove the wide angle and the lighting. Very nice since we are going on winter here. Want to swap !!

All the best Ed, nice shot.

Danny.

Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
I guess you do! LOL
In reply to nzmacro, May 3, 2012

nzmacro wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

First I say...

Pretty small compared to the bigger ones..

Then you keep saying...

I have tried to tell you they are small compared to the big sports lenses. The first step is admitting you have a problem understanding things! LOL. Seek help!

btw, it is really funny that here in the NEX forum we consider these white lenses "small". In the other mirrorless forums they ae considered GINOURMOUS.

Just Having Fun
Like?
The reality here in this forum.

In the Alpha forum it is a lot different. People discuss the good and the bad aspects of the cameras and lenses. Here for some reason anyone who does not "agree" that NEX is perfect in every way, gets assulted with total nonsense. Often it turns personal like your post.

Just Having Fun
Like?
Personal attacks

I noticed you like to make things personal and go after the poster and not the posts. You never add to the discussion. Do you not want people to know the truth?

Just Having Fun
Like?
Clueless
In reply to edwardaneal, May 3, 2012

edwardaneal wrote:

frankly I have never understood why anyone would post in the forum dedicated to a camera system they weren't using. Its just weird

Huh, I just counted numerous posts by people who were comparing NEX to other systems they were considering. They don't own a NEX.

Should we put at the top of the forum...

IF YOU DON'T OWN a NEX GO AWAY!!!

You guys really think differently here!

dka91
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
M4/3 forum is the same..if not worse[nt]

Nt Nt.

dka91's gear list:dka91's gear list
Samsung NX10 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
nzmacro
Like?
How do you find your NEX JHF

Just Having Fun wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

Just Having Fun wrote:

First I say...

Pretty small compared to the bigger ones..

Then you keep saying...

I have tried to tell you they are small compared to the big sports lenses. The first step is admitting you have a problem understanding things! LOL. Seek help!

btw, it is really funny that here in the NEX forum we consider these white lenses "small". In the other mirrorless forums they ae considered GINOURMOUS.

Corr blimey its like trying to get blood from a stone.

HAVE YOU LIFTED AND HAND HELD A 400mm F/2.8 ?????????????

I use m4/3 as well and I know all about the size of lenses on different bodies. Those lenses are small, what part of that don't you understand.

Why push IBIS in here. Maybe you would like to tell me how to use my camera and lenses also.

Have you setup and configured focus peaking for what you use ?????? Thats another question in case you miss it.

What NEX do you use ????? Oops thats another question.

Shall I hold my breath until you answer.... don't worry about that one, i already know the answer and I'm turning blue.

Danny.

dka91
Contributing MemberPosts: 624Gear list
Like?
Re: OM-D?
In reply to DVSteve, May 3, 2012

DVSteve wrote:

Add me to the list of someone who absolutely needs it as well. However, on the flipside, most people who argue against weathersealing are doing so in a fairly limited scope, that being rain. t.

I hope you didn't perceive me as one of those, I certainly appreciate weather sealing (without needing it myself) almost sort of like FPS, but it is one of those features people love to quote...but then use it scarcely

Still debating on dumping the 5n for the EM-5.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nvsteve/sets/

Hmm well, having changed systems a little, I think one thing I learnt...is to try not to change systems lol, unless of course you have funds that permit you to. Otherwise you will find you keep changing (and spending), but eventually each system will bring out the feature you like in another system (Id hope lol some never do :D), so I would a expect a weather sealed NEX coming, its whether you can wait for it...or not.

dka91's gear list:dka91's gear list
Samsung NX10 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +2 more
RussellInCincinnati
Senior MemberPosts: 3,194
Like?
JHF, you can do things to avoid "personal attack" vibes

JustHavingFun: Here for some reason anyone who does not "agree" that NEX is perfect in every way, gets assulted with total nonsense

JHF, such over-the-top, overly broad, absurdly untrue statements about Nex forum contributors, such as the one I have copied here verbatim, invite criticism of your style as being insulting and condescending. After which criticism, you don't seem to mind claiming to be "assaulted".

For example, your statement above implies that, for example, that there are a whole bunch of Nex forum contributors that think that the "Nex" is perfect in every way. Implying that those folks are happy that the Nex 3's don't allow remote control or ISO 100, they love the non-standard tripod mount surfaces on the Nex 5's, they're overjoyed at the lack of fast, super sharp eMount Sony primes, they love the lack of flash sync on any Nex. You further imply that whenever "someone" as brave and honest as you heroically mentions that the emperor has no clothes (somehow thinking that us Nex owners know less than you do about what the Nex has or hasn't), they get personally attacked.

I think you raise plenty of good points. I also think that a way too high a fraction of your good points are about non-Nex cameras, where sometimes you use the flimsiest of reasons to try to connect your ideas with a Nex. Hence I find a lot of your posts are not evil or wrong, I just think they're mis-posted into the wrong forum. They belong in some more general forum where broader view, multi-camera comparisons are expected.

I and several others also complain about your tone, which to put most simply, does not seem to be exactly the tone you would dare to use if (1) we were all standing around in a circle talking, and we were all of relatively similar weight and physical condition and (2) you had the slightest interest in being friends with anyone in your audience.

Which we all do at times, indulge in some of the anonymity of the Internet, to be a bit less carefully polite than we must be in for example our daily workplaces. But you and any of us who indulge in unusual condescension (for example entreaties that we must "study more about it", as if the only thing keeping us from agreeing with your opinions is our lack of technical knowledge) can expect to get flak. Which has more to do with defending a nice tone for the forum, than for assaulting or victimizing you.

DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,789Gear list
Like?
Re: Personal attacks

Just Having Fun wrote:

I noticed you like to make things personal and go after the poster and not the posts. You never add to the discussion. Do you not want people to know the truth?

You should quote or address to let people know who are you talking to. It's a common courtesy so that people aren't left wondering, nor waste time unnecessarily responding to you.

Assuming you are talking to me, I'll just note that you're now obviously a politician who is hoping to convince by false assertion. I take back what I said about you initially, you have been demoted to troll. You chose to ignore anything you didn't have a response for, and now you are pretending to others that it wasn't said, hoping that others who aren't really following the entire multi-page thread don't check back to see that you're full of it.

Also, bravo for truly descending into the depths of a intellectually-dishonest politicial with, "do you not want people to know the truth?"

Sounds great. Except for anybody involved in the thread who has seen though the course of of your involvement that it's your euphemism for, " I will evangelize on the OM-D as often as possible, try to marginalize any relative advantage and exaggerate any relative shortcoming of the competitiion. Oh, and I will also do it in their home forum while outright trashing them in my home forum. "

That's your "truth".

Tell me, the OM-D has a small sensor. The truth is that you don't have as much DoF control. Have you included that in your "truth"? Nope. The OM-D has awkward controls and many people are having problems with both the grip and the strap stud. Many are claiming that you need to spend more money on the grip. Not part of your "truth". A lot of people are turned off by the fact that it is a retro-looking camera that hums. Not truth, right? A 0.5x crop factor that makes it hard to obtain any sort of wide angle with legacy lenses? Nearly useless tracking focus? Nothing that you would at all mention in your "truth".

Perhaps I should go to m43 and let them know my "truth" as well? I'm sure they'll really appreciate it.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
pabloban
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
Re: The reality here in this forum.

Totally agree with you!

I am both Oly E-P1 and NEX 3 and 5N user. I like the strong sides of both cameras and use them in according situations.

I have no problem saying that the E-P1 sucks in regards of DR or noise, but I love it for it's IBIS and great colors for instance. On the other side, I love my 5N because it is light, has a good grip a huge DR and so on.. however, I really hate it because of the lacking IBIS, awful colors and the stupid way of switching between HDR JPEG and RAW...

However, a lot of strange people here are absolutely blind and deaf to any kind of criticism of their bellowed marvelous NEX cams... And then you read stuff like "we don't want IBIS, cause you don't need stabilization on wider lenses and the longer native lenses are stabilized" (yeah... one stabilized f/1.8 and other around f/4, no thank you) or "I rather use high ISO instead of having any lens stabilized"... etc..

Oh well... the NEX adopters are just a strange bunch... mostly consisting of NOTphotographers, but rather untalented P&S up-graders or ex FF users who are just used to using grainy high ISO and probably never even tried a camera with IBIS so they don't know to appreciate the awesomeness when you put just about ANY lens on your camera and the picture is sharp in low light @ low ISO...

Oh and btw... YES, I DO INTEND TO BUY THE OM-D M5 for myself.

pabloban
Forum MemberPosts: 94
Like?
Re: Personal attacks

God oh God...

Someone is taking something too seriously...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads