Maybe breaking into the upper scale club..

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
Craig
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,512
Like?
Maybe breaking into the upper scale club..
May 1, 2012

A friend of mind got me a photography job which will be taking pictures of about 250 members of this exclusive golf club, and I mean exclusive in my area. It will also include taking candids at their kick off cocktail party for the year.

They are using the pictures for their members brochure I guess. Plus I may be selling the images to individuals who may want them.

This is huge since I will get some really nice exposure and hope i will catch a few weddings down the road from it or other events that may come up..

This could be a great break in getting known by the upper scale club if you know what I mean. To join its like $150k then big yearly dues.

Craig
Like?
Re: Maybe breaking into the upper scale club..
In reply to Craig, May 1, 2012

Oh yeah, when I agreed to do the job, after a few emails etc. I had a bad feeling come over me, I just realized I had a wedding that day. I could not believe it, I got so sick about it.

Then the wheels started turning and I figured out if I could get another photographer to finish off about 2 hours of the reception I would be good to go.

So I did and it should work since I will have already done most of the important shots anyways. I could not let this gig go by..

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 18,741
Like?
I'm confused

Are you assigned to take 250 individual portraits of golf club members, plus assigned to take photos at a cocktail party?

The chances of getting 250 golf club members to follow some sort of schedule to have their portrait takenon the same day is pretty slim.

But overall, congratulations and good luck. This could turn out wonderfully.

BAK

JimP101
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?

Craig wrote:

Oh yeah, when I agreed to do the job, after a few emails etc. I had a bad feeling come over me, I just realized I had a wedding that day. I could not believe it, I got so sick about it.

Then the wheels started turning and I figured out if I could get another photographer to finish off about 2 hours of the reception I would be good to go.

So I did and it should work since I will have already done most of the important shots anyways. I could not let this gig go by..

If you don't mind me saying so it sounds as if you are trying to justify abandoning a very important job (the wedding), so that you can make some more money on another job. Are the couple completely happy with your plan? Don't forget, to them it is the most important day of their lives. I'm sure your stand-in photographer will do a good job, but do the couple have complete confidence in him and what if he does get it wrong? I do hope that you have persuaded the couple this is the best course of action.

Jim

Biggs23
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,467Gear list
Like?
In reply to JimP101, May 1, 2012

JimP101 wrote:

Craig wrote:

If you don't mind me saying so it sounds as if you are trying to justify abandoning a very important job (the wedding), so that you can make some more money on another job. Are the couple completely happy with your plan? Don't forget, to them it is the most important day of their lives. I'm sure your stand-in photographer will do a good job, but do the couple have complete confidence in him and what if he does get it wrong? I do hope that you have persuaded the couple this is the best course of action.

Yeah, this sounds like a potential disaster unless it's handled very carefully.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
lbuclk=
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,508Gear list
Like?
Agreed. n/t
In reply to Biggs23, May 1, 2012

Biggs23 wrote:

JimP101 wrote:

Craig wrote:

Yeah, this sounds like a potential disaster unless it's handled very carefully.

-- hide signature --

28 years as a freelancer,(news,magazine, wedding photography) camera equip. over the years: Practica MLT, Canon A1, Minolta 9xi, 7xi, Dimage Z1,Fuji 5200,Canon S2,Pentax K100D,Olympus 380,Canon SX 10, Canon 40D ( http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Buckl/ )
http://issuu.com/Lbuck

lbuclk='s gear list:lbuclk='s gear list
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Craig
Like?
In reply to Biggs23, May 1, 2012

Yes I do have to handle it carefully. Not exactly sure how to tell her, but.

I am meeting with her next week to go over the details so I will have time to figure out how to tell her. I plan on compensating her with something extra, plus to reassure her she will get an excellent job.

I don't think I have 250 portraits to do.. thats a lot.. I guess there will be about 250 present and 40 or 50 new members need theirs taken. What I am more interested in is not the monetary amount for the job its the future work I believe I will get from it..and believe me I need it.

Craig
Like?
Re: I'm confused
In reply to BAK, May 1, 2012

answered above.

slowhands
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,470Gear list
Like?
food for thought

While I've assisted photogs who ended up double booked on a date, it's generally good practice to consult one's calendar, ALWAYS. That;s one reason many photogs only offer their lower priced packages if booked within 30 (pick a number) days of the event...meaning they don't already have something else booked that day.

If you already have a proven assistant / associate / second shooter and your confident they can wrap up the wedding reception with the style and coverage your couple expects and contracted for, then you are on better ground than if you have to bring in someone new (to you) and qualify their abilities.

Is the exclusive club an opportunity? Sure, possibly.
Do you have experience marketing to this social level?
You mentioned hope for future weddings.

Do you have examples of wedding photography of the level this group might be interested in?

Do you have the confidence and attitude to be able to interact with this level, yet still be "in control" and able to direct these individuals to get the best shots?

Do you have an understanding (on the average) how much time it takes you to pose and shoot a portrait? I use "5 minutes" as a rough number...that's 12/hour, although I have pushed Father/Daughter dance couples and others thru at a much faster rate.
Do you have a time constraint?

Do you have any idea WHY the photographer who previously did their work isn't this time?

slowhands's gear list:slowhands's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 350D Canon EOS 7D
BAK
BAK
Forum ProPosts: 18,741
Like?
Re: I'm confused
In reply to Craig, May 2, 2012

I've shot lots of quick portraits.

75 lawyers over a couple of days.

75 bankers over a couple of days.

In both cases, the portraits were a work requirement that the subjects had to fulfil. So there was no need to convince them.

In both cases, there was a nice place where I could set up lights, conveniently located for the subjects.

All the lawyers had secretarie who were very well trained at keeping their bosses on schedule, and everyone got a reminder a week before, allowing scheduling of hair, makeup, etc., and the choosing of the right clothes.

And a reminder the afternoon before, so they would dress according to both insructions and their own tastes.

As for the bankers these were all mid-level men and women, gathered from across the country and meetings in large groups for some sessions and small groups for other sessions.

Because everyone had been told there was going to be picture taken, everyone was dressed well.

And I had a senior exec from head office who would fetch me three at a time, just calling them out of the sessions, with the power / authority to do this.

In both cases, the subjects and I did not have much time to get to knoweach other, establish a relationship, and make arrangements to take pictures at their weddings, the weddings of their siblings, or the weddings of their children.

I note that it is very hard to undo a poor reputation; make sure the replacement guy knows how to do a bouquet shot, and which women should be in it.

BAK

artistguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 547
Like?
In reply to Craig, May 2, 2012

Your times are too tight.....

Did a wedding on Saturday, Bride was 25 minutes late (not unusual), 8 guests from out of town got lost on their way so were 40 minutes late (Bride decided to wait for them). Did the formals then moved to the reception (5 miles away), guess what? The same 8 guests got lost on the way again (rumour was they went to book in to their hotel and freshen up!) So the reception started one hour and twenty minutes late. Result, left at 7.30pm when we were booked until 5pm.....

And another thing....anyone else getting frustrated by ministers/registrars insisting on no flash during the ceremony (from the official photographers) and watching 80 guests flashing away throught the whole thing!

slowhands
Like?
In reply to artistguy, May 2, 2012

and another thing ....flashes at ceremonies

Some ministers will gently advise the attendees about flash distraction ... please don't early in the service (especially if you as the official photog bring up the topic at the rehersal or whenever you meet him)

However, I see no reason to lose sleep over guests taking pics. It's their friends getting married and they are happy for them (or are budding photogs too). You should focus on getting THE shots with your professional experience and gear.

It's the bargan video guy who irritate me more.

lbuclk=
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,508Gear list
Like?
Short, but very well stated. n/t
In reply to slowhands, May 2, 2012

slowhands wrote:

and another thing ....flashes at ceremonies

Some ministers will gently advise the attendees about flash distraction ... please don't early in the service (especially if you as the official photog bring up the topic at the rehersal or whenever you meet him)

However, I see no reason to lose sleep over guests taking pics. It's their friends getting married and they are happy for them (or are budding photogs too). You should focus on getting THE shots with your professional experience and gear.

It's the bargan video guy who irritate me more.

-- hide signature --

28 years as a freelancer,(news,magazine, wedding photography) camera equip. over the years: Practica MLT, Canon A1, Minolta 9xi, 7xi, Dimage Z1,Fuji 5200,Canon S2,Pentax K100D,Olympus 380,Canon SX 10, Canon 40D ( http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Buckl/ )
http://issuu.com/Lbuck

lbuclk='s gear list:lbuclk='s gear list
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
artistguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 547
Like?
In reply to slowhands, May 2, 2012

You misunderstood my comment, the registrar says to me, the official photographer, NO flash, then ignores the 80 or so guests flashing away. I'm just thinking the registrars/ministers shouldn't try to inhibit the photograher if they're not willing to tell everyone else not to use flash during the ceremony. Fair enough in times gone by, but these days it's a free for all apart from the official photographer who has to obey the 'rules'.

slowhands
Like?
In reply to artistguy, May 2, 2012

Generally the official professional has access to positions to shoot the ceremony from good angles where the attending friends and family do not, plus you get to re-pose portions of the ceremony if you so choose.

When discussing with a couple, I "ALWAYS" tell them I might not get the best shot of their "kiss", and may need to restage it following the ceremony...do they mind? Generally the bride "catches on" well before the guy. And yes, I do get the ceremony shot too.

Something I saw and am trying... a nice ribbon to separate the front section of the pews with the wedding party and family for the after-ceremony shots... and will the other guests please remain behind the ribbon so we can complete this quickly and head to the reception. It puts the guest cameras well behind me for at least that segment of the day.

Again, dSLR pop up / P&S flashes won't do all that well during the ceremony from the typical distances anyway. Just be sure to deliver SOLID images and remain professional.

crescent
New MemberPosts: 11
Like?
In reply to Craig, May 3, 2012

Craig wrote:

I don't think I have 250 portraits to do.. thats a lot.. I guess there will be about 250 present and 40 or 50 new members need theirs taken. What I am more interested in is not the monetary amount for the job its the future work I believe I will get from it.. and believe me I need it .

You better be vary very carefull. In the level you want to reach they can smell desperation. And if anyone finds out you acted unprofessionally (dumped a prior commitment) you will get the big black list. Just throwing freebies at a bride to placate you running out the door (at the last minute) has trouble written all over it.

Craig
Like?

I don't know why I bother posting anything here.. a few good people..

69chevy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,330
Like?

You will get it sorted.

Good luck with the new opportunity.

leecamera
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
In reply to Craig, May 4, 2012

mmm...

2 clients on one day can spell disaster. Never done it, never will...

What if one over-runs, or your time safety margins get too tight...?

I have a regular billionaire client and I shoot many of his parties and special events. The crowd is full of other billionaires and highly successful types. How many referrals do I get...? How many requests for prints from guests...? Not nearly as many as you might think so don't necessarily think because you are shooting for a rich crowd your potential client base will be better.

I hope it all works out - I really do, but the trade for it becoming too tight is not one i'd make.

Biggs23
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,467Gear list
Like?
In reply to artistguy, May 4, 2012

artistguy wrote:

You misunderstood my comment, the registrar says to me, the official photographer, NO flash, then ignores the 80 or so guests flashing away. I'm just thinking the registrars/ministers shouldn't try to inhibit the photograher if they're not willing to tell everyone else not to use flash during the ceremony. Fair enough in times gone by, but these days it's a free for all apart from the official photographer who has to obey the 'rules'.

Eh, it's not really that big of a deal. Their flashes are so small and ineffectual that they aren't worth worrying about.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads