Good Macro lens for Nex7 ... food photography

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
Suiteki
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
Good Macro lens for Nex7 ... food photography
May 1, 2012

Hello,

I'm not very impressed by what I've seen until now from the Sony 30mm f/3.5 macro.

I take food photography for my blog and have a great interest in Nex 7 but which lens for macro (the borrowed Nikon D200 I used frequently, unfortunately does'nt work any more, repaired two times, the screen issue has not been fixed by nikon...).

Could anyone help me (I don't absolutely need x1 magnification as I'm not a "bee'eyes photographer), either showing here Sony 30mm pics f/3.5 with good sharpness and DR, or telling about other lenses better for my needs with Nex 7.

You can see here the kind of picture I use to publish
http://www.gourmet-vegetarien.com/pudding-recette-vegetarienne-gourmet/
http://www.gourmet-vegetarien.com/recette-vegetarienne-poivrons-farcis/
http://www.gourmet-vegetarien.com/repas-vegetarien-recette-morilles/

or see also the one in my pdf about "Italian Pizza secrets" that you can download.

Thanks for helping !!!

Philippe

Leica X1 Nikon D200 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,570Gear list
Like?
Re: Good Macro lens for Nex7 ... food photography
In reply to Suiteki, May 1, 2012

For web-sized images, you don't really need the ultimate in image quality. IMO even a P&S would be fine. The important thing is the lighting.

I think the NEX 30mm lens could be great as a food lens, as it has a wider angle of view than most macro lenses.. or even the kit zoom with a close-up lens attached when needed.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amuro
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?

Here are what I know although I'm not an expert in any sense.

To make small subject look really big you will need the lens in 16-35mm range - and with the crop factor you really need something like 16mm or 24mm primes. There is SEL16 and Sigma 19mm as well as SEL24 but the last one cost bomb.

For normal food photo however people use the fast 50mm you can afford.
Of course there's always the tilt-shift option if the money is no issue...
--
---
people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

amuro's gear list:amuro's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 +10 more
gowebgo
Regular MemberPosts: 119
Like?

I have Minolta manual macros.

Rokkor 50mm QF with 1:1 adapter from ebay in nice leather case £60 mint.
Rokkor 35-70 macro from ebay £15 mint.

Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?
Carl Zeiss 50/2 Makro-Planar in ZF.2 or ZE mount

Go for the best.

Suiteki wrote:

Hello,

I'm not very impressed by what I've seen until now from the Sony 30mm f/3.5 macro.

I take food photography for my blog and have a great interest in Nex 7 but which lens for macro (the borrowed Nikon D200 I used frequently, unfortunately does'nt work any more, repaired two times, the screen issue has not been fixed by nikon...).

Could anyone help me (I don't absolutely need x1 magnification as I'm not a "bee'eyes photographer), either showing here Sony 30mm pics f/3.5 with good sharpness and DR, or telling about other lenses better for my needs with Nex 7.

You can see here the kind of picture I use to publish
http://www.gourmet-vegetarien.com/pudding-recette-vegetarienne-gourmet/
http://www.gourmet-vegetarien.com/recette-vegetarienne-poivrons-farcis/
http://www.gourmet-vegetarien.com/repas-vegetarien-recette-morilles/

or see also the one in my pdf about "Italian Pizza secrets" that you can download.

Thanks for helping !!!

Philippe

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
botw
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
In reply to gowebgo, May 1, 2012

My SEL 30 is plenty sharp. It's gotten a bad rap for some reason, but is an amazing little lens. The DR should be a factor of your sensor more than the lens.

botw's gear list:botw's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +10 more
botw
Regular MemberPosts: 230Gear list
Like?
In reply to botw, May 1, 2012

I'll upload some more samples tonight, but here's a quick one (iso 3200 on my Nex-5n):

botw's gear list:botw's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +10 more
loofaerau
New MemberPosts: 22
Like?

Some of the best Macro with a NEX I've seen has been with an Elmarit-R 60mm or a Summicron 40mm.

Suiteki
Like?
In reply to seachicken2000, May 1, 2012

@ seachicken

Thanks but ... anyway I'd like best quality image because I also take other pictures and like photography ...
I still have to be convinced by Sony 30 mm !!!

Suiteki
Like?
In reply to amuro, May 1, 2012

@ Amuro
Thanks for your good ideas !

Perhaps the 50mm would be a good option, although hard to find ... but I know that I want it if I go for Nex 7 !

According to Sel24 Carl Zeiss, very expensive but I'm living in Argentina and use to take pictures of countryside, so I could use it for that purpose and also as you suggest, for food photo. But in this case, wide angle for food photo, I think I'll loose DOF, don't you think so?

Cheers !

Philippe

Suiteki
Like?
In reply to gowebgo, May 1, 2012

@ gowebgo

Thanks, beautiful pics and good suggestion, but as I'm living in Argentina, it's difficult for me to find that kind of vintage lenses ...
Cheers!

Philippe

Suiteki
Like?
In reply to botw, May 1, 2012

@ botw
I'm waiting for other posts as you offer, thanks !

Yes, perhaps DR has to do with the sensor, but if you have "bad cristal", you'll never enjoy the quality of your sensor ... and your pics could convince me about the quality of the 30mm cristal ... until now, I stay with doubt ...
Best regards!

Philippe

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,907Gear list
Like?

This isn't a macro shot, per se, but the 50 can be used to shoot food dishes pretty nicely. For example, our homemade ravioli:

I prefer the Zeiss 24/1.8. And, it can get to within 6 inches of the food for very detailed macro=like shots. I am more into whole dishes of food and it works great for that.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,366
Like?

I do not own the Sony 30mm macro, but my understanding is that it was created for such purposes as food photography.

Most samples I could see of food photography with this lens were quite fine. Here is a bunch you may have missed:

http://www.flickr.com/search/groups/?w=1812096%40N23&m=pool&q=food

Other than this but still AF, the Sigma 30mm E-mount could work with a close-up lens attached for shortening the MFD.

If you still are not convinced and AF does not scare you, the Sigma 28mm MiniWide II or better the Sigma 24mm SuperWide II could be good solutions. They both are sharp and can focus very close. They also are very nice for landscape or even street photography.

I think a long FL macro lens with a strong magnification ratio is not what you need... You need a short distance focusing lens, with a relatively wide angle of view but almost no distorsion. This means between 20 and 35mm...

Unless, of course, you intend to shoot your plate from the neighbour's table...

Cheers,

Marc

Letsgokoulos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,366
Like?
In reply to Letsgokoulos, May 1, 2012

I forgot to add that I do not work for Sigma...

Marc

Jonathan_Whiteman
Contributing MemberPosts: 792Gear list
Like?
What about a cheaper option for lenses you already have?

A good lens would be better but I just spent about $20 at Amazon on a cheap set of 67mm screw on close up lens adapters for the 18-200mm from Polaroid. Metal ring, 4 in a pack, carrry case - quality seems OK. Hand held they seem to do an OK macro job for playing with my NEX-5. The samples below are hand held and indoors (and taken just for this post) so not set up for great results. I'm thinking of spending "real" money on a set of Tiffens for my Sigma 30mm but I'll see how quickly I hit the limit on these Polaroid first. These are pretty much my first shots so I expect a lot of improvement with practice.

Note that weird smudges on the second shot are the scratches you see in the first shot on the watch crystal - it gets a hard life...

18-200mm at 32mm with +4 Polaroid Close Up lens

18-200mm at 185mm with +10 Polaroid Close Up lens

nick_webster
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,652
Like?
Just about anything

To be honest any of the old manual focus macros will produce stunning results, at pretty much any aperture, and certainly at the apertures you will use for food photography. Get a cheap adpater and Bob's your uncle, cheap good quality macro

I'd ignore those who tell you need to spend lots of money on the more recognised "quality" brands as in my experience and from what I've seen on these forums over the years, that just isn't true,

Nick

Bill McClung
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,364
Like?
I Also Recommend the Sony/Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 Lens

For your use, I think it would be perfect. Just keep it at f/2.0 or higher for maximum sharpness (f/4.0 - f/5.6 seems to be the sharpest range for my copy).

It's not a true macro lens, but it really lets you get up-close-and-personal and that 24mp sensor in your NEX-7 provides outstanding "cropability".

Some samples from my NEX-7 with that lens:

And, here is a good example of the extreme sharpness and "cropability" of the lens:

This is the original image (cropped about 10%) Note the small kiosk toward the bottom-right:

And, this is the kiosk area, cropped from the original image:

-- hide signature --

Bill McClung (a.k.a. 'NC BILL')
Image galleries at http://www.pbase.com/nc_bill

NEVER BE AFRAID TO TRY SOMETHING NEW.
REMEMBER, AMATEURS BUILT THE ARK.
PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC!

Lng0004
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602
Like?

From the samples shown, I don't think you even need a macro lens. Just one with a short focus distance. Most of my food shots are taken with a Rokkor-X 50/1.4 without any cropping.

Donovan Driver
Forum MemberPosts: 52Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lng0004, May 1, 2012

Tokina 90mm AT-x aka "Bokina" is my vote or the Minolta 50mm Rokkor QF.
--
DDriver

http://www.flickr.com/photos/driverdriver
http://www.flickr.com/photos/educatingfire

Donovan Driver's gear list:Donovan Driver's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads