E7 coming soon?

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
yescooling
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
E7 coming soon?
May 1, 2012

I noticed that some people in the photography industry talked about E7 in casual occasions. They said E7 would be expected to come out around October this year. Does anyone hear or see anything regarding to the launch time of E7? I'm not a farseer, but definitely an enthusiast..XD

RoyGBiv
Senior MemberPosts: 1,956
Like?
it might be plausible...not expecting earth shattering innovation.
In reply to yescooling, May 1, 2012

yescooling wrote:

I noticed that some people in the photography industry talked about E7 in casual occasions. They said E7 would be expected to come out around October this year. Does anyone hear or see anything regarding to the launch time of E7? I'm not a farseer, but definitely an enthusiast..XD

I highly doubt there's going to be much innovation in the E-7, so it might be plausible. What else is going on in October that would help generate interest..some photography conference, or what not...

-- hide signature --

'I have no responsibilities here whatsoever'

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BPete
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?
Re: it might be plausible...not expecting earth shattering innovation.
In reply to RoyGBiv, May 2, 2012

I think that the future for 4/3 users will be a micro 4/3rd camera and 4/3 adapter with phase controlled focusing, ( and contrst focusing for micro 4/3) which will allow the 4/3rd lesnses to focus quickly
I'm not selling my great lenses just yet

BPete's gear list:BPete's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
yescooling
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
In reply to BPete, May 2, 2012

totally agree. The focus methods would be combined into M4/3, then 4/3 lens can be reborn with fast focus. That's why I keep getting cheaper lens from mover XD (some people just get rid of these due to move to other brands).

SHood
Senior MemberPosts: 3,899Gear list
Like?
McGillicuddy received secret package from Olympus
In reply to yescooling, May 2, 2012

I think it is safe to say a pro photographer would not be interested in the Tough camera previously mentioned. It is a large box too. This is either a lens and or new body.

http://www.damianmcgillicuddy.com/journal/2012/4/12/todays-teaser.html

And possibly a hint in his comments?

"I thought I'd also post an image that is a bit end of an era(ish)"

SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
MatijaK
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?
Re: E7 coming soon?

yescooling wrote:

Something is definitely up:

1) The mystery box
2) Robin Wong saying he'd rather wait for E-7
3) http://product.it168.com/detail/doc/473490/index.shtml

deleted_081301
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
In reply to MatijaK, May 2, 2012

If !! we do see an E7 it will be aimed and priced at the E5 end of the market .. and who right in the head would pay that sort of money for a dead system ....... surely an E700 would be a better idea

deleted_081301's gear list:deleted_081301's gear list
Olympus C-4000 Zoom Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1s Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +5 more
gdiver
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
In reply to deleted_081301, May 2, 2012

That, I would pre-order!

gdiver's gear list:gdiver's gear list
Olympus E-330 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1
MatijaK
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?

DickyUK wrote:

If !! we do see an E7 it will be aimed and priced at the E5 end of the market .. and who right in the head would pay that sort of money for a dead system ....... surely an E700 would be a better idea

I would. The E-5 wasn't worth the money, if you ask me. An E-7, on the other hand, that is a camera I'd buy immediately. There's plenty of people who feel the same way and have no use for a small E-700. My hands are average and I still had to buy a battery grip to be able to hold my E-3 properly - it was too small otherwise.

jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,043
Like?

While a m43 pro body that focuses quickly with 4/3 lenses (and handles them well) would sell tons more, if they can't make that yet, many of us wrong-minded folks would welcome an E7 in regular 4/3 form. I suspect they are working on both, but the m43 approach might not be ready yet.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

RoyGBiv
Like?
How can it be a "DEAD" system if they're rolling out bodies for it??

DickyUK wrote:

While I agree, there'd be a reasonably sized market for an e-700 concept (and who knows...maybe that's what the two walnut boxes represents...an e-7 and an e-700!) I think it's only FUD tactics to call it a dead system when 1) they're rolling out bodies for it, and 2) they're officially stating that it is a fully supported platform, and 3) it's obvious they don't have the technology to kill it yet.
--

RoyGBiv
Like?

BPete wrote:

I think that the future for 4/3 users will be a micro 4/3rd camera and 4/3 adapter with phase controlled focusing, ( and contrst focusing for micro 4/3) which will allow the 4/3rd lesnses to focus quickly
I'm not selling my great lenses just yet

It is definitely the future...at least some way to either incorporate PDAF or leapfrog it. I don't think it'd be in the adapter, though (well...possibly the drive motor, but not much else). Ultimately I suspect it will involve an on-sensor solution.

Staying afloat until that time is the here and now. If they had that technology within grasp, they'd have gone straight in that direction sooner. When the E-5 came out and everybody was loosing their heads over the "end" of 4/3, you could see that an e-7 was strongly likely, just given the challenges in developing/acquiring a suitable PDAF technology, or building a workable alternative.

-- hide signature --

mujana
Senior MemberPosts: 2,920Gear list
Like?
BPete

If that will be the case, then I' ll be moving to m4/3
(including selling my 4/3 lenses). Hoping Olympus
will produce comparable lenses for m4/3 (comparable
IQ / speed and reach).
Till then I'll also stick to my E5 and lenses.

mujana's gear list:mujana's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8
ClickRick
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?
Re: McGillicuddy received secret package from Olympus
In reply to SHood, May 2, 2012

I honestly do hope that the Olympus teaser and the nuts many journalist received from Olympus has to do with the introduction of new 43-system products.

RoyGBiv
Like?
Nuts...as in "yes, we're nuts!" :)
In reply to ClickRick, May 2, 2012

ClickRick wrote:

I honestly do hope that the Olympus teaser and the nuts many journalist received from Olympus has to do with the introduction of new 43-system products.

"You probably think we're nuts to be keeping this allegedly dead system going!"
--

ClickRick
Like?
Re: Nuts...as in "yes, we're nuts!" :)

Olympus is forcing us to step over to m43 or to another brand with their today marketing policy. I regret that.

Personally when I look to the 43-products, it is a marvelous phographic system. But some refinements, evolutionary or revolutionary like a 43 OM-D body is welcome. The same can be said about lenses and accesories. Let's not forget the Zuiko 43-lenses are belonging to the best. Some refreshment is needed. That's all. I'm not asking a knew camera model every six months.

I own an E-P2 with some m. Zuiko's and yes you can make beautifull pictures with it. But still it's a different phographic tool...I mean like the E-5 for instance and the sturdy 43-lenses. Putting mine 35 - 100 mm or 12-60 on mine E-P2 is more than one step backwards.

RoyGBiv
Like?
In reply to ClickRick, May 2, 2012

ClickRick wrote:

Olympus is forcing us to step over to m43 or to another brand with their today marketing policy. I regret that.

Personally when I look to the 43-products, it is a marvelous phographic system. But some refinements, evolutionary or revolutionary like a 43 OM-D body is welcome. The same can be said about lenses and accesories. Let's not forget the Zuiko 43-lenses are belonging to the best. Some refreshment is needed. That's all. I'm not asking a knew camera model every six months.

I own an E-P2 with some m. Zuiko's and yes you can make beautifull pictures with it. But still it's a different phographic tool...I mean like the E-5 for instance and the sturdy 43-lenses. Putting mine 35 - 100 mm or 12-60 on mine E-P2 is more than one step backwards.

I did exactly the same with my 35-100 & 12-60, and I agree.

I would agree...if you had to spend the money today, option 3 of going to another brand is pretty darn compelling. I would say Oly's forcing us to be more patient than we would like to be .

Their priorities have certainly been elsewhere. No doubt. But I would also say...rightfully so from a survivability perspective.

I do think having an e-7 out the door sooner than later is pretty important. The longer the e-5 is left as the dslr offering the more it will be considered the dead system.
--

dark goob
Contributing MemberPosts: 944
Like?

Wouldn't it be E-6?

Michael S.
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,391Gear list
Like?

Greetings!

yescooling wrote:

I noticed that some people in the photography industry talked about E7 in casual occasions. They said E7 would be expected to come out around October this year. Does anyone hear or see anything regarding to the launch time of E7?

Think about PHOTOKINA 2012 - coming up in September!

--
Michael S.
EUROPE; dpreview since 2001
NIKON NPS Member
(check equipment via profile)

http://www.pbase.com/bountyhunter

Michael S.'s gear list:Michael S.'s gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D800E Leica M Typ 240
ClickRick
Like?

I totally agree with your thought's. Maybe I'm a too enthousiastic photographer and a bit of a 'gear freak' as well to say that 43- and m43 can live a long side each other. Well, till there is a body that can work with both systems.

Greetings from a proud Olympus user since 1978!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads