Olympus OM-D E-M5: The best camera ever

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
IcyVeins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,342Gear list
Like?
Olympus OM-D E-M5: The best camera ever
May 1, 2012

This title formerly belonged to the Sony NEX-7 but the E-M5 has made history as the first sub-$1000 camera to earn an 80% score from DPR - and a gold star as well. This camera is so good it transcends reality, relegating the Nikons and Canons of the world to "Canon fodder." This camera is the ultimate photo machine and is available at a very reasonable price point considering that it is THE BEST CAMERA EVER.

IcyVeins's gear list:IcyVeins's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sixpm
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
Re: Olympus OM-D E-M5: The best camera ever
In reply to IcyVeins, May 1, 2012

Could be but not quite, as one missing major function is the manual focus zoom aid for Leica manual lenses is no longer supported as in the EP3/EPL3.

Sixpm's gear list:Sixpm's gear list
Sony RX1R Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robbster
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?

IcyVeins, you crack me up, but in a good way Enthusiasm abounds in your posts!

I'm sure you'll get the usual range of responses to your post, and while I may not quite go so far on the OMD EM5 as you state, I DO still have one on order (since Feb!), so am a believer in the capability Olympus has built into the EM5 to the point of putting money in play.

Canon fodder, good one! Hope folks just enjoy vs. getting all snippy.

All the best...
--
Create the future or live someone else's. Choose wisely!

Robbster's gear list:Robbster's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 +9 more
Barry Fitzgerald
Forum ProPosts: 29,888
Like?
In reply to Robbster, May 1, 2012

Predictable review score ie EVF camera = Gold award
Saw that a mile away

Leaving that aside strip it down and ignore the super fast fps (locked AF and exposure)

For the £1000 cost it looks horribly overpriced IMO

IcyVeins
Like?
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, May 1, 2012

Barry Fitzgerald blithely dismissing the best camera of all time.

Saw that coming a mile away

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
Barry Fitzgerald
Like?

IcyVeins wrote:

Just break it down I'm not dismissing it but it's really a £600 odd camera maybe a tad more if you add the weather sealing.

It's competing with semi pro DSLR's so competition is tough here.
No onboard flash (major blunder)
Fast fps is just a number with locked AF and metering not that useful
Focus by wire MF another throwback from the 90's

Rest of the camera is some retro appeal thing that doesn't even look like an OM camera anyway. Fairly bog standard most of the spec.

Sure the sensor looks good (let's wait for more reliable sources for DR testing)

Nobody says it's "bad" but hell DPR gold awards are given away like Candy at a shop. I for one would like to see them take the gloves off a bit more at times.

ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,004Gear list
Like?

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

IcyVeins wrote:

Just break it down I'm not dismissing it but it's really a £600 odd camera maybe a tad more if you add the weather sealing.

It's competing with semi pro DSLR's so competition is tough here.
No onboard flash (major blunder)
Fast fps is just a number with locked AF and metering not that useful
Focus by wire MF another throwback from the 90's

Rest of the camera is some retro appeal thing that doesn't even look like an OM camera anyway. Fairly bog standard most of the spec.

Sure the sensor looks good (let's wait for more reliable sources for DR testing)

Nobody says it's "bad" but hell DPR gold awards are given away like Candy at a shop. I for one would like to see them take the gloves off a bit more at times.

+1 but AUD$600-700.Pen is struggling at $425 kit in major stores (Kmart, Target)... DPR got carried out by the retro-look--is-in...IMO

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Sante Patate
Senior MemberPosts: 3,371
Like?
In reply to ZorSy, May 1, 2012

My favourite camera of all time was my OM film SLR, so I would love this to be great. And it looks pretty good - not up to the standard of the D7000, eg, but better than the NEX-7 - and so very attractive if size and weight are high priorities.

The problem is the uncertain future of Olympus as a company, and the wisdom of buying into a system from a company with an uncertain future. Olympus shares were selling at 2835 yen a year ago, and today they are at 1260; for comparison Nikon was 1560 yen a year ago, and today is 2366. Whatever DPR thinks, the real gold award has gone to the V1, the D800 and the D4.

Patrick T. Kelly
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,055Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sante Patate, May 1, 2012

Sme years ago a poster solicited input on what the perfect DSLR would be. An Olympus owner poste, "It's here now. It's the Olympus."

One can always count on the misplaced passion of the Olumpus crowd.
--
Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,252
Like?
No, the best small camera ever

I've had an opportunity to use some higher end DSLR's: 5DII, D700, and they will do things that the EM5 won't do as well with. DR is better, not by a huge amount, but better. More headroom for PP, though I'm just beginning to play with EM5 RAW in PP, and it's improved over earlier efforts. DOF - that's been hashed to death, but they can cut it thinner. That works against you with long telephoto and close macro, but long tele isn't a FF strong suit. Anyway, that's what I noticed.

As of today, the performance gap between smaller sensor and large has closed, in terms of practical, useable benefits. The larger sensors are better, but it's becoming academic, or the improvement falls into the 'very seldom used' category.

NEX7... impressive body performance, but the other pieces have some shortcomings. If Sony would turn out a good selection of native glass for NEX (they're working on it), maybe add a battery grip so it would handle better with Alpha glass (a bit clumsy), maybe add IBIS, a real shortcoming in a small body that's hard to hold steady, they could match or exceed the EM5 in overall useability and capability. Right now, at least in my opinion, the EM5 is the better complete package.

I'm having a ball with this EM5, but the best camera ever? Hardly. Terrific for its size, great for the price, but somehow, out in the field, I doubt it would keep up with, say, a D800 equipped with good glass.

Then again, I neither have the funds for a D800 and brace of lenses, nor the inclination to carry that much gear around. Not when I have this option.

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,024Gear list
Like?

IcyVeins wrote:

This camera is so good it transcends reality, relegating the Nikons and Canons of the world to "Canon fodder." This camera is the ultimate photo machine and is available at a very reasonable price point considering that it is THE BEST CAMERA EVER.

Oh, is it time for the daily IcyVeins troll already?

chopsteeks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?

Trolling gone badly...

Please list camera better than OMD at this price range ...

Otherwise...got to work on that trolling brah !!

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

Predictable review score ie EVF camera = Gold award
Saw that a mile away

Leaving that aside strip it down and ignore the super fast fps (locked AF and exposure)

For the £1000 cost it looks horribly overpriced IMO

Barry Fitzgerald
Like?
In reply to chopsteeks, May 1, 2012

chopsteeks wrote:

Trolling gone badly...

Please list camera better than OMD at this price range ...

Otherwise...got to work on that trolling brah !!

Lots of choices out there a D7000 is both cheaper and can actually do stuff like wireless flash and has a real viewfinder. And it has a fast fps that can AF and meter (rather than a big number stuck on a box to impress folks)

I can in part see the appeal of the Olympus to starved DSLR users who have nowhere to run. But for a grand it's a high price to pay for a retro experiment that isn't really even that impressive bar the decent sensor job.

Olympus are always one step behind they hit 16mp and APS-C hits 24mp

Not that it matters, but the asking price isn't realistic

JoeDaBassPlayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583
Like?

It is decent. I see too many issues with IQ for me to bother with it. It also lacks Focus Peaking which is a real deal breaker.
--
Variance is Evil!

IcyVeins
Like?
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, May 2, 2012

The D7000 is $1200 so it's at a higher price point than the E-M5. Bottom line is the E-M5 is the best sub-$1000 camera on the planet.

I like how you claim the asking price isn't realistic, but when asked to name better cameras at that price you could only come up with one camera, and it costs $200 more. Where is the D7000's touch screen? Where is it's flip-out display? Where is it's IBIS? Where is it's in-camera panorama feature? Where are its ISO settings above 6400? Where is it's 425g weight and 1.7' thinness?

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,627Gear list
Like?
Second only to the OM-2, of course. :)
In reply to IcyVeins, May 2, 2012
 Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Robbster
Regular MemberPosts: 255Gear list
Like?
Re: No, the best small camera ever
In reply to TrapperJohn, May 2, 2012

Nice post, Trapper, the point on gap closing between DSLR and best mirrorless is spot on. Not that they are EQUAL, but that the gap has closed to the point where many fairly demanding folks can be well served by the best mirrorless with the huge benefit of a much smaller/lighter kit.

Further, I'm right with you on the Sony analysis, I just could not put my money into a system with such severely limited native lens options as NEX format, despite the appeal of the fine and larger APS-c sensor and excellent video.

Well reasoned, and backed by personal experience

Looking forward to arrival of my EM5 shortly...
--
Create the future or live someone else's. Choose wisely!

Robbster's gear list:Robbster's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 +9 more
Barry Fitzgerald
Like?
In reply to IcyVeins, May 2, 2012

IcyVeins wrote:

The D7000 is $1200 so it's at a higher price point than the E-M5. Bottom line is the E-M5 is the best sub-$1000 camera on the planet.

I don't live in the USA so the OM-D is £999 (yes they've ripped off uk buyers again, convert the currency on that one) D7k is cheaper at around £860 odd (cashback also in the UK as well drops it under £800)

BTW Olympus should get a currency converter because $999 is around £632, even adding 20% VAT you're nowhere near £999. Looks like Dick Turpin now works for Olympus..it's daylight robbery.

IcyVeins
Like?
In reply to Barry Fitzgerald, May 2, 2012

Okay I'll admit that for US $1560 or so the E-M5 would be overpriced and I agree that it is unfair to the U.K. buyers but in the U.S. $999 vs $1199 for a D7000 is a no-brainer, especially since I prefer the mirrorless camera size in the first place and I don't shoot extreme sports that demand a DSLR.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,252
Like?
You'll love it
In reply to Robbster, May 2, 2012

Gawd, it's sweet - Get the 45 1.8, it's worth every cent, and not that expensive.

And Sony does have lenses on the way, so don't count them out.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads