HX20v vs Lumix ZS3

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
Michael Kalm
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?
HX20v vs Lumix ZS3
May 1, 2012

Apples to oranges, and unfair, but I had fun anyway!

My HX20v arrived today, and I fired it right up and shot some comparison shots with the pocket camera it will be replacing, the Lumix ZS3. Here are the comparisons with some comments.

Although these were my last shots, I'll start with them - a view of downtown Salt Lake City at night.

These next two were macros of clockworks within a glass sphere. It looks like the ZS3 chose to focus on dust on the sphere rather than the clockworks themselves.

Difference in the flash between the two cameras.

Some Color Differences.

Some color and clarity differences.

And now for the dramatic difference in zoom reach. (I know. I know. If it wasn't dramatic, I'd be demanding my money back!)

-- hide signature --

65 on the outside, 18 on the inside

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 (Lumix DMC-TZ7) Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 31,905Gear list
Like?
Re: HX20v vs Lumix ZS3
In reply to Michael Kalm, May 1, 2012

Sony wins there Michael
--
Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 6D +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LSHorwitz1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,952
Like?
In reply to ASR45, May 1, 2012

What a fantastic comparison for those of us with ZS-3s who are contemplating the purchase of the Sony HX20V.

The improvements in reach, low light gathering and detail, and general image quality are extremely impressive. My Sony HX20V was just ordered!

Thanks for doing the work here Michael. It directly answered my desire to see the two compared.

As a NEX7 and alpha 77 owner, I do not need much "arm-twisting" to be convinced that Sony knows how to do great cameras, but the ability to directly compare these is wonderful nonetheless, and pushed me over the line from "thinking about it" to "doing it"!

Thanks again,
Larry

superstar905
Senior MemberPosts: 1,078
Like?
In reply to LSHorwitz1, May 1, 2012

Wow, count me in that group. Thanks very much!

LSHorwitz1 wrote:

What a fantastic comparison for those of us with ZS-3s who are contemplating the purchase of the Sony HX20V.

The improvements in reach, low light gathering and detail, and general image quality are extremely impressive. My Sony HX20V was just ordered!

Thanks for doing the work here Michael. It directly answered my desire to see the two compared.

As a NEX7 and alpha 77 owner, I do not need much "arm-twisting" to be convinced that Sony knows how to do great cameras, but the ability to directly compare these is wonderful nonetheless, and pushed me over the line from "thinking about it" to "doing it"!

Thanks again,
Larry

Moef
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
In reply to superstar905, May 2, 2012

Nice photo compare, thanks...

Looks like the Sony is an overall better cam. More detailed & sharper photos, much less noise, better colours.

-- hide signature --

Moef

Jarola
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?
In reply to Moef, May 2, 2012

Thanks for time you put into this comparison. I am leaning toward the HX20v but the images still seem a bit smudged. Is the HX20v a big improvement over the HX9v as far as the smudging goes?

Thanks

superstar905
Like?
In reply to Jarola, May 2, 2012

Smudged??

Jarola
Regular MemberPosts: 272
Like?
In reply to superstar905, May 2, 2012

smeared?

Jinwons
Senior MemberPosts: 1,043
Like?
In reply to Jarola, May 2, 2012

I'm curious on that too. Is there any in-depth comparison review of HX9V vs HX20V?

And I know OP already stated it's apple to orange. But winning three years old ZS3 doesn't tell much for HX20. Panny has very potent ZS15, ZS20 now, so real question is how HX20V stacks against them and also Canon SX260.

Red2112
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to Jinwons, May 2, 2012

Yeah, I'm really curious about how the HX20V compares to the ZS20/15. I recently bought the ZS2 after considering the SX260, ZS15, and HX9V.

superstar905
Like?
In reply to Jinwons, May 3, 2012

I think you are right but the ZS3 is widely regarded as one of the compacts that produces great pictures, and I know I love mine.

However I would like to see a comparison also. As I've mentioned in other threads, the ZS20 interests me too.

Jinwons wrote:

I'm curious on that too. Is there any in-depth comparison review of HX9V vs HX20V?

And I know OP already stated it's apple to orange. But winning three years old ZS3 doesn't tell much for HX20. Panny has very potent ZS15, ZS20 now, so real question is how HX20V stacks against them and also Canon SX260.

sparkle1103
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,652
Like?
In reply to Michael Kalm, May 3, 2012

The HX20 wins hands down. Every shot is superior with the HX20

Janice
--
In Loving Memory of
Sparkle

July 4, 1993 to August 14, 2011

superstar905
Like?
In reply to sparkle1103, May 3, 2012

Very true.....in this set. However as was pointed out quite rightly to me in the Panny forum, my ZS3 produces much better outdoors and macro shots than what is show here.

sparkle1103 wrote:

The HX20 wins hands down. Every shot is superior with the HX20

Janice
--
In Loving Memory of
Sparkle

July 4, 1993 to August 14, 2011

minzaw
Regular MemberPosts: 445
Like?
In reply to superstar905, May 3, 2012

My ZS3 did produce better than your defective ZS3 or User error or something is NOT right/

attached several ZS3 shots with trusty TZ7 (ZS3) or even TZ3 (ZS1 ) produce better pictures than posted.

Always carry 3(LX+ZS) for all my travels including Theatre anesthetic inductions demo for teaching to trainees/nerve block stills and videos with ZS3

Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,376Gear list
Like?
shot with a a Zs1 ( TZ6 )
In reply to Michael Kalm, May 3, 2012

-- hide signature --

All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marti58/

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +24 more
superstar905
Like?
Re: shot with a a Zs1 ( TZ6 )
In reply to Marti58, May 3, 2012

Now these shots are much more representitive of the ZS3 ....... I think I let my hopes for a replacement that has everything I wanted cloud my judgement.

telefunk
Regular MemberPosts: 197
Like?
In reply to superstar905, May 4, 2012

The TZ30 is clearly enferior to the TZ8 and even the TZ7. See DPReview studio comparison tool or this one DKamera: http://www.dkamera.de/testbericht/panasonic-lumix-dmc-tz31/bildqualitaet.html

LesterH
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Re: HX20v vs Lumix ZS20
In reply to superstar905, May 8, 2012

I did this unscientific comparison - ZS20 was set in IA and HX20V was set in IA +

Nexusbrz
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
Re: HX20v vs Lumix ZS20
In reply to LesterH, May 9, 2012

the dog photo, taken on the HX20V is terrible. completelly messed up, when looking at 100%. full of watercolor / oil painting effect. does not happens on the ZS20.

yet, color balance seems way better on the HX20V

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads