If you had a DSLR with 100% noise free ISO 100-6400 what would be your default?

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
Starshot
Contributing MemberPosts: 764
Like?
If you had a DSLR with 100% noise free ISO 100-6400 what would be your default?
May 1, 2012

Say your ISO 6400 was just as noise free as ISO 100, what would your default ISO be?

would it be 6400? 100? somewhere in the middle?

citizenlouie
Contributing MemberPosts: 664Gear list
Like?
Re: If you had a DSLR with 100% noise free ISO 100-6400 what would be your default?
In reply to Starshot, May 1, 2012

Then I'd pick whatever the ISO that'll give me a shutter speed either in 1/250" or 1/125" for most shots. If I need shallow DoF, then I'll pick the lowest ISO. ISO is not as important as aperture or shutter speed. The sole purpose of ISO is to give you flexibility to choose the other two for equivalent exposure.

Every digital camera has a base ISO, use that will give you the best DR, color saturation and IQ in general, so use the base ISO.

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seth73
Forum MemberPosts: 58
Like?
Re: If you had a DSLR with 100% noise free ISO 100-6400 what would be your default?

I would turn on the ISO automatic and set the shutterspeed i need or would be happy about faster shutterspeed with larger f-numbers... no default needed.

greetings

Norbert

jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,779
Like?
In reply to seth73, May 1, 2012

Yes... if it would be noise-free up to 6400, ISO wouldn't matter for 99.999% of all your pictures, would it?

You could just set ISO to automatic and forget about it... then concentrate on aperture or shutter speed choices. Never have to worry about ISO again.

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,637
Like?

ISO also impacts the dynamic range, so it's about trade offs. I set:

• Aperture for the desired DOF

• Shutter Speed necessary for a still subject, BIF, etc.

• ISO for the brightness, considering noise & DR

• adjust as necessary for the optimal exposure

Cheers,
Doug
--
http://www.pbase.com/dougj/birds_birds_birds
http://www.pbase.com/dougj

Roger99
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,797
Like?

Probably around 400 or 800 for daylight. Mostly 400. 100 would still get a solid look in but 6400 would be pretty handy for dusk and indoors. A default though? I would start at 400 and see where I went from there.
You still have to take into account shutter speed and stop.

Starshot wrote:

Say your ISO 6400 was just as noise free as ISO 100, what would your default ISO be?

would it be 6400? 100? somewhere in the middle?

-- hide signature --

The one serious conviction one should hold is that nothing should be taken too seriously.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it. -Aristotle
..oh, and I see by the lack of responses that I am right yet again.

Starshot
Contributing MemberPosts: 764
Like?
In reply to Doug J, May 1, 2012

and flash as well right?

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,637
Like?

Starshot wrote:

and flash as well right?

Yup, part of the plan, use as needed.

To answer your question, I'd like clean ISO 6400 for birding, providing there wasn't much of a hit in DR. However this is wishful thinking.

Cheers,
Doug
--
http://www.pbase.com/dougj/birds_birds_birds
http://www.pbase.com/dougj

MaxIso
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?

assuming DR wouldnt change either as there would be no noisy pixels replacing the good color ones, id always keep it at 6400, unless i needed a long shutter speed for things like running water.

Jeff Charles
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,711Gear list
Like?

Doug J wrote:

ISO also impacts the dynamic range, so it's about trade offs. I set:

• Aperture for the desired DOF

• Shutter Speed necessary for a still subject, BIF, etc.

• ISO for the brightness, considering noise & DR

Once you have set aperture and shutter speed, does the ISO you choose affect noise and DR?

-- hide signature --

Jeff

Jeff Charles's gear list:Jeff Charles's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix X100 RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
JoeDaBassPlayer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,583
Like?

I still shoot lower ISO since the higher ISO shooting lacks some DR and looks a bit more cooked.
--
Variance is Evil!

Bill Force
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,607
Like?
In reply to citizenlouie, May 1, 2012

+1

I think any rational person would pick the ISO that offered the best performance of all factors considered.
--

' You don't have to have the best of everything to get the best out of what you do have'.

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,018Gear list
Like?

It would not matter. The ISO would only be useful for determining the max and minimum light I could shoot in.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads