60mm Test Shots

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
kennethfong
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
60mm Test Shots
May 1, 2012

Got a new 60mm after my 18-200mm and went for some tests around the garden... I've deliberately shot them using wide open aperture, just to see would they be any good with the F4 and beyond... but due to time constraint couldn't get myself a re-shot at F4 despite my intent of doing so...

kennethfong
Like?
Re: 60mm Test Shots
In reply to kennethfong, May 1, 2012

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kennethfong
Like?

Ya, gotta mention I did process them thru some basic sharpenings too, in case you need to know...

And here're some sample shots using the same 60mm on my dog for animal portrait shots...

kennethfong
Like?

Finally just comparing the 60mm to my closeup 18-200mm, i think both are really good lens, just that the 60mm magnifies the detail much better esp at macro closeup level (of course it's a macro lens lol)....

and this is shot using my 18-200mm:

Geoff-san
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?

Lovely photos. Thankyou for sharing these.

The bokeh this lens produces is shown to good effect. It is a highlight of the lens from my point of view, though I am unlikely to buy one in the near future.

Geoff.

Geoff-san's gear list:Geoff-san's gear list
Pentax Optio W20 Samsung NX10 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
jj74e
Senior MemberPosts: 1,633
Like?
In reply to Geoff-san, May 1, 2012

wow that last shot makes the 18-200mm seem really quite sharp!

did you also edit the color of these, or were those JPEGs aside from the sharpening you did? thanks for sharing

kennethfong
Like?
In reply to jj74e, May 1, 2012

thanks guys...

JJ74e,

yes, adjusted the color saturation a bit in few of the pics....

kennethfong
Like?

none of the pics are straight from the NX200's jpg, all processed from RAW... personally don't quite rely on the result of jpg i've got straight from the cam.... ... serious jpg quality omission from Samsung...

Thomas Wieser
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?

The 60mm lens really shows nice bokeh!

Thomas

Thomas Wieser's gear list:Thomas Wieser's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +3 more
TJL LTFF
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074Gear list
Like?

Lovely shots, all. Thanks so much for sharing.

TJL LTFF's gear list:TJL LTFF's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 20mm F2.8 Pancake +5 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,073Gear list
Like?

kennethfong wrote:

Got a new 60mm after my 18-200mm and went for some tests around the garden... I've deliberately shot them using wide open aperture, just to see would they be any good with the F4 and beyond... but due to time constraint couldn't get myself a re-shot at F4 despite my intent of doing so...

Love the bokeh on this shot. I find the 60mm f/2.8 very sharp even wide open.

The 18-200mm isn't all that sharp, especially at the edges, but is great as a general purpose lens for the range. I imagine it would be great for video too, and focus is really very fast.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,073Gear list
Like?

kennethfong wrote:

Finally just comparing the 60mm to my closeup 18-200mm, i think both are really good lens, just that the 60mm magnifies the detail much better esp at macro closeup level (of course it's a macro lens lol)....

At this level the 18-200mm shot looks great. It is nice to have such a lens to get a shot of anything without changing lenses. I agree though, the 60mm is definitely the better lens at 60mm, but this is a great shot. I found that my 18-200mm is fairly sharp at 100mm as well.

Eric
--

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA +6 more
kennethfong
Like?
In reply to viking79, May 1, 2012

Tks Eric...

I think you're speaking from experience on both 60mm and the 18-200mm, and I think I would agree that you nailed it down with your point... although I've just gotten this 60mm for couple of weeks, but from what you mentioned it really just strikes me that the more quality and useable shot-2-shot on the 60mm is growing more than what i gathered from the 18-200mm... e.g. if i were to shoot some x amount of pics with both lenses, the ones that i feel satisfied have somewhat better odds with the 60mm...

That 18-200mm shots that I posted... that's probably the only few out of so many photos that i think is useable for those kind of shots (except landscapes)...

Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
In reply to viking79, May 1, 2012

viking79 wrote:

kennethfong wrote:

At this level the 18-200mm shot looks great. It is nice to have such a lens to get a shot of anything without changing lenses. I agree though, the 60mm is definitely the better lens at 60mm, but this is a great shot. I found that my 18-200mm is fairly sharp at 100mm as well.

Eric
--

imagine this being shot with a 60mm instead. even better.

kennethfong
Like?
In reply to Ariston, May 1, 2012

haha Ariston, didn't have that 60mm yet during that time... so i've nothing to grumble about but I do have some regrets how i wished i could have the 60mm with me at that time :)....

PDM
PDM
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,074
Like?

The 60 macro shots looks very good. Love the color and bokeh from the lens. I went for the 85/1.4 as I need more speed for indoor portraits.

Ariston
Senior MemberPosts: 2,401
Like?
In reply to PDM, May 1, 2012

PDM wrote:

The 60 macro shots looks very good. Love the color and bokeh from the lens. I went for the 85/1.4 as I need more speed for indoor portraits.

I struggled a bit with the 60mm for lowlight indoors, although it worked extremely well with a flash unit. the 2 stop difference is really a lot and despite the lack of OIS on the 85mm, I find it easy to use under lowlight with no flash. ISO 800 is a marvel with the 85mm and still can be great at 1600.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads