Feeling left out Pentaxians?

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
tessl8d
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
Re: Feeling left out Pentaxians?
In reply to ayewing, May 2, 2012

@awewing:

Even if it's just a rumour, I love the thought that people are looking forward to something so basic and that it now has the potential of being considered 'new'.
Diversity is a great thing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
To Sum up Mose Allison !
In reply to JohnBee, May 2, 2012

I'm not discouraged, no I'm not discouraged, but I'm getting there !

wll

wll
wll
Like?

Both taken at the Earth Day Fair in Topanga Canyon a couple of weeks ago.

Used NEX 5n and the Kit lens 18-55mm.

wll

wll
wll
Like?
OOOPS wrong Forum !
In reply to wll, May 2, 2012

wll wrote:

Both taken at the Earth Day Fair in Topanga Canyon a couple of weeks ago.

Used NEX 5n and the Kit lens 18-55mm.

wll

Wheatfield
Senior MemberPosts: 6,297
Like?

johnbee wrote:

For some of us, this is all very familiar. The sight of other manufacturers bringing forth the goodies while us Pentaxians sit on the sidelines watching. - Anyone care to share their feelings on this?

Sure.
What the heck are you talking about?
And if you are that unhappy, change systems.

FarHagh
Regular MemberPosts: 451
Like?
In reply to tessl8d, May 2, 2012

tessl8d wrote:

Should Leica owners also be feeling left out?

A Leica owner is immune to any negative feeling at all, just like a Porsche driver.

-+-+-+-
Farhad

Jlow34
Contributing MemberPosts: 708
Like?
In reply to awaldram, May 2, 2012

awaldram wrote:

My tools do what I want I'd rather expand my capabilities than replace like for like whilst watching over my shoulder for the next fad.

Ditto.

I'd rather spend $5 on an ebook from Craft & Vision. (I have no relation to them, have learned a lot from those little books).

spqr_ca
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?

No, I haven't really seen much that would make me feel that way. The K-5 still sports the best APS-C sensor and I'm not in the lens market right now, so there's nothing anyone else is doing that would make me interested. In fact, the gear I have been acquiring isn't even brand specific, it's lights, backdrops, stands, etc.

So, my camera is top of class and performs like it, so I can think about other things instead. Case in point, I did actually consider the Nikon D800 very briefly and then realized that it didn't really make sense, so I dropped that money on a top of the line iMac and a second 27" display instead. Money far better spent, IMHO.

I think Pentax is now faced with a bit of a problem: it's going to be hard, very hard, to make a compelling upgrade to the K-5. It's a good problem to have, but it's still a problem...

spqr_ca's gear list:spqr_ca's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
Myari
Regular MemberPosts: 441
Like?
In reply to spqr_ca, May 2, 2012

spqr_ca wrote:

I think Pentax is now faced with a bit of a problem: it's going to be hard, very hard, to make a compelling upgrade to the K-5. It's a good problem to have, but it's still a problem...

I beg to differ. Many improvements are possible. Even without thinking, from top of my head in a spit second,

(1) AF could be improved (and number of cross points)
(2) Continuous shooting can be improved.
(3) Video needs to be improved
(4) Improvements to jpeg engine (especially how reds are handled).

(4) There are many other features (wifi, network connectivity to upload photos directly online, tethering, two card slots, electronic first shutter curtain, focus peaking, incamera panoramas and multi-shot NR modes)

I am sure this list can be made 10 times bigger by others

hikenhi
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?
In reply to Myari, May 2, 2012

One idea that I've thought, yet I've never heard this idea anywhere else. Building WiFi technology into the camera that allows it to be functional from a smart phone using a custom app to control the camera. Maybe take pictures, then some video, maybe a time lapse, and review them wirelessly from the smart phone? I know that the WiFi could go a lot further than the infared controler and the playback on a smart phone is a lot sharper than a 3" LCD.

hikenhi's gear list:hikenhi's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +5 more
spqr_ca
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?
In reply to Myari, May 2, 2012

Myari wrote:

Yes, likely by people who haven't taken any pictures... Nothing you listed was compelling. Sure, they would be improvements, but compelling enough to push someone to upgrade from a K-5? Not so sure.

spqr_ca's gear list:spqr_ca's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,748Gear list
Like?

spqr_ca wrote:

Myari wrote:

Yes, likely by people who haven't taken any pictures... Nothing you listed was compelling. Sure, they would be improvements, but compelling enough to push someone to upgrade from a K-5? Not so sure.

Agreed for the first time since going digital the limiting factor in my photography is me.

I new camera wont fix that

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
13thBagel
Contributing MemberPosts: 933Gear list
Like?
L-O-L !!

Spot on... I always enjoy your posts...

13thBagel's gear list:13thBagel's gear list
Pentax Q7 Pentax K-3
MaxIso
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?

spqr_ca wrote:

Myari wrote:

yea ide have to agree. those r conveniences but definately not enough to spend $1500 on u know. the k5 is so good its hard to make it better without a large hardware upgrade like FF. video is the only real change that could be justified but that is not a huge concern for photo purists.

if it was, people would just keep their k5, and buy a gh2 for half the price of the next pentax.
hey maybe the next pentax will have 16 stops of DR??

ET2
ET2
Senior MemberPosts: 3,772Gear list
Like?
In reply to MaxIso, May 2, 2012

MaxIso wrote:

Why would that be a compelling reason to "upgrade" then? The best LCDs have DR of around 9 stops. Print films have dynamic range of 7 stops.

CMOS sensors already have more dynamic range that can be displayed on LCD/Prints

If you properly expose photos, a camera with 11 stops of dynamic range will work just as well as 20 stop DR camera. The final display/presentation (i.e LCD screen, print, etc) is limited to 9 stops.

Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,992Gear list
Like?
In reply to ET2, May 2, 2012

The desire for more and more features, is a double edged sword! It makes the user interface expand in complication, increases the costs of develpment and manufacturing, each new feature can introduce new problems within the system.

I'd rather they just inproved the basic functions and spent more money on quality control across the board. And instead of increasing costs, cut the costs of the camera bodies so more people can afford them. This will benefit the Pentax community more than over burdened cameras, no we need more reliable hardware, cheaper to buy with proven interface design, allowing some hooks into the system so perhaps so 3rd parties can develope things like tethering, wireless monitoring for the articulated screen and vidoe folks and such like..

Brent
--
Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
peje
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
In reply to ET2, May 2, 2012

ET2 wrote:

MaxIso wrote:

Why would that be a compelling reason to "upgrade" then? The best LCDs have DR of around 9 stops. Print films have dynamic range of 7 stops.

CMOS sensors already have more dynamic range that can be displayed on LCD/Prints

If you properly expose photos, a camera with 11 stops of dynamic range will work just as well as 20 stop DR camera. The final display/presentation (i.e LCD screen, print, etc) is limited to 9 stops.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html

12 stop DR camera vs 14 stop DR camera . Can you see the difference on your LCD screen ?.

peterb2
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?

Well I do like my k-r but I don't feel 100% satisfied with it. Am still looking to see what Pentax will offer us next (if they are planning on offering any new cameras).

My k-r actually seems a step back compared to my old DS2 in regards to build quality (some of the buttons and knobs have been giving me trouble). I also feel the images feel a bit more "digital" compared to my DS2 if that makes any sense at all. Maybe that is just in my head.

So I am still waiting to see what is coming next....

-Peter

Edvinas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,808Gear list
Like?
In reply to peje, May 2, 2012

peje wrote:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/5DIII-D800/index_controlled-tests.html

12 stop DR camera vs 14 stop DR camera . Can you see the difference on your LCD screen ?.

nice

-- hide signature --

Edvinas

Edvinas's gear list:Edvinas's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +3 more
Edvinas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,808Gear list
Like?

awaldram wrote:

Agreed for the first time since going digital the limiting factor in my photography is me.

I new camera wont fix that

Not everyone is shooting landscapes and other static objects in good light. Some are taking pictures of moving objects like children (so good AF is a must) and por light (so flash is important). For people needing this often K-5 is the limiting factor.

-- hide signature --

Edvinas

Edvinas's gear list:Edvinas's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads