Feeling left out Pentaxians?

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,920
Like?
Feeling left out Pentaxians?
May 1, 2012

For some of us, this is all very familiar. The sight of other manufacturers bringing forth the goodies while us Pentaxians sit on the sidelines watching. - Anyone care to share their feelings on this?

sfa1966
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,169Gear list
Like?
Re: Feeling left out Pentaxians?
In reply to JohnBee, May 1, 2012

johnbee wrote:

For some of us, this is all very familiar. The sight of other manufacturers bringing forth the goodies while us Pentaxians sit on the sidelines watching. - Anyone care to share their feelings on this?

Well, I've not seen a camera from anybody yet that would adequately replace my K-5 and DA Limited primes. Happy to sit on the sidelines and keep watching.
--
Cheers,
sfa

A very limited photographer ...

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Qwntm
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,421Gear list
Like?
Not really, K-5 is hard to beat!

johnbee wrote:

Hmmm. I sold my 5DII and Canon lenses because the last $2% of IQ was not anything I was missing, and I'm not missing the weight and size. So anything like the 5DIII or D800 makes me smile and laugh in the knowledge I've been there, done that and don't need it.

And on the "smaller" side of things, I look at the new Olympus OM thingie and say to myself I'd rather have the little bit bigger K-5 and have a pro camera with an APS-C sensor.

The Fuji X Pro-1 was interesting, until I bought one and returned it. Nice camera, nothing that inspires me more than the K-5 though.

So for right now, I'm good, and optimistic about the future K-5 replacement or Pentax FF.

Hey if you need the latest and greatest or bragging rights that you have a lot of money to spend without really knowing what your doing or buying then Pentax just aint your brand!

Qwntm's gear list:Qwntm's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Pentax K-3 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-E2 +14 more
chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,021
Like?
In reply to sfa1966, May 1, 2012

Hey, we did get a price increase on lenses!

jthommo101
Regular MemberPosts: 374Gear list
Like?

sfa1966 wrote:

johnbee wrote:

Well, I've not seen a camera from anybody yet that would adequately replace my K-5 and DA Limited primes. Happy to sit on the sidelines and keep watching.

+1

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
sfa

jthommo101's gear list:jthommo101's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D
Rich C
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?

My K-5 is still new to me. Besides, nothing has been released recently that would make me want to become a Canikonformist.

RPulley
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?

johnbee wrote:

For some of us, this is all very familiar. The sight of other manufacturers bringing forth the goodies while us Pentaxians sit on the sidelines watching.

Personally, I prefer the sidelines from last Saturday over worrying about what another brand is doing:

The K5 still rocks.

Ray

Ivan Gordeli
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?

johnbee wrote:

One doesn't have to "sit on the sidelines". To me the point of photography is taking pictures rather than following the news about your favorite brand or its competitors.

As for taking pictures I do have everything I need: My K-5 and some lenses. And I'm not planning to upgrade, since I have the tool that does the job.

I perfectly understand though, it is also fun to follow Pentax or other brands news, I just look at it from the perspective that these news have nothing to do with the art of photography and are only interesting from the point of view of history of technology development.

Another point I'd like to make is my K-5 is still the newest camera in that class, neither Canon nor Nikon offered anything in that range recently. Most probably they will and probably Pentax will do the same around the same time as it was the case before. But then again it's interesting to me only from the point of view of technology evolution and not photography.

Ivan Gordeli's gear list:Ivan Gordeli's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF)
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,605Gear list
Like?
Nope. K-5 is great (n/t)
-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

FarHagh
Regular MemberPosts: 451
Like?
In reply to chiane, May 1, 2012

chiane wrote:

Loved this one! You see, some were right that it would soon be forgotten

-+-+-+-
Farhad

MaxIso
Contributing MemberPosts: 621
Like?

sfa1966 wrote:

johnbee wrote:

--
Cheers,
sfa

lol i cant agree more. my first and only dslr(t) is an a33, bought last fathers day. i own 4 lenses, a 1.4 tc and a shutter remote. i could care less who i shoot with, i want what is going to produce. countless hours of research shows me the k5 is unmatched in apsc IQ, even better than many FF.

i will b getting my k5 in a couple months, unless something better comes out before. i like shooting with primes, and i love shooting in low light, something the k5 does well. ive looked at the D7000 as well as it has full manual video, but i love all the pentax primes i can buy at camera shops in my town. old pentax glass here is as low as $30 in perfect condition.

im doubting the op of this thread isnt a troll from the sony group, one more reason im happy to not shop sony again.

JohnBee
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,920
Like?
In reply to FarHagh, May 1, 2012

FarHagh wrote:

chiane wrote:

Loved this one! You see, some were right that it would soon be forgotten

-+-+-+-
Farhad

I haven't had a belly laugh in a long time!
That was totally worth posting!

hikenhi
Regular MemberPosts: 498Gear list
Like?
No...but...

I just purchased my first prime lens, 3 Days ago. I bought the smc Pentax FA 50mm F1.4, used and in good shape for $175. I'm now starting to understand the advantage of the primes when your focusing more on the shot, and less on the FOV—I think this is going to be my new strategy for walk-around shooting and events that I'm hired for like weddings where it's more spontaneous. I next plan on buying the smc Pentax FA 31mm F1.8 Limited, then the smc Pentax D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR. All of the lenses that I buy from here on out are going to be FF compatible, because I know that Pentax has intentions of developing a FF DSLR, and I know in about 4-5 years, I should be in the market for it. But, I think that it could be some time before I get those next two lenses because I'm most likely not going to find those two particular lenses used and at unbelievable prices like what I paid for the FA 50 1.4, or even more unheard of and almost 2/3rd of MSRP cost, my like-new DA* 50-135 2.8, that I also recently snagged for $600. So to answer your question, no, I'm not one bit at all disappointed that Pentax is not releasing a new DSLR this year. I see it more as an opportunity to gather other more nice lenses to compliment my K-5 as I prepare to make the shift towards a potential FF Pentax DSLR, and not a sad moment.

hikenhi's gear list:hikenhi's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-7 Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +5 more
Stephenhampshire
Contributing MemberPosts: 842Gear list
Like?

For me, the K5 is all the camera I need at the moment, I have only had it for 6 months. I would like to see more native Pentax lenses and am looking forward to the DA-L 50mm F1.8

i'm more annoyed about lack of support from Tamron, always liked their lenses and there are some desireable ones that are not in K mount.

-- hide signature --

Everything changes

Stephenhampshire's gear list:Stephenhampshire's gear list
Samsung TL350 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +13 more
tessl8d
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
In reply to Stephenhampshire, May 1, 2012

Should Leica owners also be feeling left out?

mike703
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,815
Like?
Re: No...but...
In reply to hikenhi, May 1, 2012

that third shot is a real beauty
Your new prime lens obviously suits you...

Best wishes
--
Mike
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/mikeward

Brentliris
Senior MemberPosts: 2,992Gear list
Like?
JohnBee is left out!

I guess you have pan brand gear lust syndrom, no place to call home. Obviously. I don't need to try and convert the lost at sea. Find your footing with a set of tools you like and understand forget about "goodies".

Brent
--
Reflections, understandings, discoveries and intimations..

Brentliris's gear list:Brentliris's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K200D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
epsilon sigma taph
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?

No way l feel left out of the Canikon herd. I'm open to using any camera that suits me better. At the moment it's the Sonys but only because they have EVFs. My friend uses all the best Pentax gear and when l see his shots l'm convinced it is the best in the business for IQ. There's only one thing keeping me from buying the K5 and that is no EVF.

13thBagel
Contributing MemberPosts: 918Gear list
Like?
In my perfect world...

... the K-7 would have been today's K-5 and I'd have been enjoying it for the past four-ish years instead of two.

BTW... I got one of the GPS thingys the other day on a whim. It's a bit fiddly, but WOW... is that little gadget neat. May sound nuts, but when enabled I'd almost swear it helps micro focus my 'factory default focused' branded lenses (K-5 w/fw 1.13 & AF fine adjustment disabled).

Please do not use my 'BTW' comment to hijack this thread. I have the greatest respect for the OP. His very early exploration and demonstration of the K-7/K-5's dynamic range and pp noise reduction tipped me toward buying a K-5... with absolutely no regrets.

...my 2 cents...

Cheers... M

hayslip
Contributing MemberPosts: 985
Like?

johnbee wrote:

Left out about what? Did I miss some sort of news announcement?

Peace - Roger Hayslip

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads