Who needs slightly smaller cameras?

Started May 1, 2012 | Discussions
Lee Jay
Forum ProPosts: 43,976Gear list
Like?
Who needs slightly smaller cameras?
May 1, 2012

What able-bodied adult needs cameras that are slightly smaller than a dSLR (like 4/3 and NEX cameras, for example) when a 53-pound 8-year-old can spend 3 hours shooting nearly 1,000 shots with a 5D, 24-105L and 1.4x TC?

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon ELPH 500 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,004Gear list
Like?
Weaklings, that's who
In reply to Lee Jay, May 1, 2012

you just got me on the right foot about that one. In other post I replied how I just had a big back surgery, something few years ago one would spend months in cast, bolted to bed - today, they get you up the next day after the surgery....either way, for someone who had to undergo it and never whined about camera weight, particularly talking 100grams difference, I can only NOT have understanding when one complains about this "extra weight" as a burden.
Nothing but the society of weaklings and pansies ...

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ABA DABA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,954
Like?
Re: Weaklings, that's who
In reply to ZorSy, May 1, 2012

I have the age(old) and a weak back and still don't want a smaller camera.I usually have a D-300 over each shoulder when out shooting.
--
ABA DABA

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
Re: Who needs slightly smaller cameras?

Good move - dump the old camera on the kid, keep the new gear for yourself. Like it.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Lee Jay
Like?
In reply to Deleted1929, May 1, 2012

sjgcit wrote:

Good move - dump the old camera on the kid, keep the new gear for yourself. Like it.

Hey! That's my top-of-the-line camera. I was shooting with my 20D.

Canon hasn't made what I wanted, so I've just kept the old (but great) stuff.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Canon ELPH 500 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Lee Jay
Like?
In reply to ZorSy, May 1, 2012

ZorSy wrote:

Nothing but the society of weaklings and pansies ...

My son had that in his hands and around his neck for 3 hours. At the end, I asked him if it was heavy. He said "not really". So I gave him my 20D + 2x TC and 70-200/2.8L IS and asked him if it was heavy. He held it up for a little while, played with it for moment, and gave me another "not really". His school backpack easily weighs three times as much.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

jonrobertp
Forum ProPosts: 10,680Gear list
Like?

The point about wt. of camera gear is TOTALLY missed in this thread. Boys will be boys..and some like toys heavy, others don't.

Heavy is for weights in the gym. Or a tractor. Cow.

Light is for ease of use. Like paper money vs a dozen large coins. Like a fashion model vs a linebacker.

There are plenty of heavy cams and other items available for ppl who prefer that. And thankfully a few new units for ppl who have other interests.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Minos82
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?

He may not be climbing about 1580 meters over a 6.5km track and then descending it back in a single day with his school backpack... Just saying...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Taranaki

Lee Jay
Like?
In reply to jonrobertp, May 1, 2012

jonrobertp wrote:

Light is for ease of use.

My Elph is about 100 times harder to use than my 5D.

The keyboard on my phone is about 100 times harder to use than my full-sized keyboard.

My full-sized phone handset is about 100 times easier to hold than my cell phone.

Small and light is about ease of transport . Properly-fitting is about ease of use , and my hands aren't getting any smaller.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay
Like?
In reply to Minos82, May 1, 2012

Minos82 wrote:

He may not be climbing about 1580 meters over a 6.5km track and then descending it back in a single day with his school backpack... Just saying...

Yep...ease of transport , not ease of use:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=41383453

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Minos82
Like?

Yeah and?
I never mentioned ease of use???

This being said, ease of use is non-existent when you have to leave the camera behind because you're not shooting from the window of your SUV...

Lee Jay
Like?
In reply to Minos82, May 1, 2012

Minos82 wrote:

This being said, ease of use is non-existent when you have to leave the camera behind because you're not shooting from the window of your SUV...

My wife came close to throwing her P&S out the window when trying to shoot from the window of a moving car. So I gave her the 5D and never heard another complaint.

Small cameras are just a pain.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Docno
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,034Gear list
Like?

Yes, my FF Sony a900 is easier to use (and still takes better images) than my NEX. But if I'm going to be trudging about all day in the tropical heat with a camera around my neck or on my back, I know which one I want it to be. (Hint: it starts with 'N') [It's only if I go to a new and special destination that I'll take 'big boy' along]

-- hide signature --

Galleries: http://picasaweb.google.com.au/glennjude

Sony a900, a700; CZ135mm, CZ24-70mm, SAL70-300mmG, 50mm F1.4, 100mm F2.8 macro, KM17-35mm, CZ16-80mm, KM11-18mm, SAL18-250mm

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
Minos82
Like?

ljfinger wrote:

Minos82 wrote:

My wife came close to throwing her P&S out the window when trying to shoot from the window of a moving car. So I gave her the 5D and never heard another complaint.

Small cameras are just a pain.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

I think we're all interested with your private life.
Save us some electrons, thanks.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,252
Like?
lots of reasons

The big iron draws a lot of attention. That may be nice for the gearhead who craves attention and wants to be mistaken for a 'pro', but some of us prefer the low profile of a smaller camera. No one seems to notice it, while carrying around a large dslr and large lens seems to get you the hairy eyeball from quite a few people. You just about have to hit someone over the head with a mirrorless cam to get them to notice it.

I've walked into 'no pro cameras' events with the security people not even giving a little Pen equipped with the ever so sharp PL25 1.4 lens so much as a second glance, while they hassled the guy with the D70 and kit zoom. Sadly for dslr owners, that's becoming more prevalent.

The large camera rigs interfere with your other activities. In comparison to the mirrorless cams, they're bulky, and demand your attention almost constantly, especially if you have a lens of any length on. Perhaps that's not a problem if you want to devote the entire day to shooting photos, but if you're in a group, it can get a bit annoying to those around you.

With current technology, the larger setups are 'better', but most of that falls into the academic debate or very seldom used category. The best current mirrorless setups give up little or nothing to the larger APS cams, when used under typical photographic circumstances. Besides, these little micro systems are just plain cool.

The advantages of the mirrorless cams come down to convenience. What has changed is, you aren't sacrificing IQ or capability for that convenience any more. The best camera is the one you have with you. You're much more likely to have a mirrorless cam with you, because they're a lot less imposing on whatever else you're doing.

Example: I took my newly acquired EM5 and family to the Rolex 3 Day Event, an equestrian competition. It all came home when I passed some poor soul lugging a D700 and an obscenely large lens. I don't doubt they got some great shots, but the little guy did pretty good. With two very active daughters to keep track of, I wouldn't have bothered with the full dslr setup. That's not noise on the horse's hindquarters, it's specks of dirt being thrown up by the hooves. The 45 1.8 prime is one sharp lens.

Starshot
Contributing MemberPosts: 764
Like?

I agree completely.

I LOVE pocket cameras because they're pocketable and still take good pics.

But these mirrorless cameras, I mean maybe the tech is good for autofocus... but otherwise what's the point? Awkard to hold and too big to pocket.

iMac, therefore iAm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,336
Like?
Heavy gear can have benefits...

Given my propensity to hike in the desert to do landscape photography, carrying a backpack, tripod, water, etc, requires being in good shape. My photography interest got me to start going to the gym so that I can better handle the physical demands. As a result, in my mid 40s' I'm in far better shape than I've ever been in my life - I could kick 25 year old me's behind.

-- hide signature --

Some cool cats that can use your help
http://www.wildlife-sanctuary.org

Even if you can't donate, please help spread the word.

coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,653
Like?

ljfinger wrote:

My Elph is about 100 times harder to use than my 5D.

The keyboard on my phone is about 100 times harder to use than my full-sized keyboard.

My full-sized phone handset is about 100 times easier to hold than my cell phone.

Small and light is about ease of transport . Properly-fitting is about ease of use , and my hands aren't getting any smaller.

I agree 100%.

Lee Jay
Like?
Re: lots of reasons
In reply to TrapperJohn, May 1, 2012

TrapperJohn wrote:

The big iron draws a lot of attention. That may be nice for the gearhead who craves attention and wants to be mistaken for a 'pro', but some of us prefer the low profile of a smaller camera.

I couldn't care less who notices me.

I've walked into 'no pro cameras' events with the security people not even giving a little Pen equipped with the ever so sharp PL25 1.4 lens so much as a second glance, while they hassled the guy with the D70 and kit zoom. Sadly for dslr owners, that's becoming more prevalent.

Any event that bans my cameras doesn't get my dollars.

The large camera rigs interfere with your other activities.

Not any more than any other camera that has to go in a bag or over your shoulder.

With current technology, the larger setups are 'better', but most of that falls into the academic debate or very seldom used category. The best current mirrorless setups give up little or nothing to the larger APS cams, when used under typical photographic circumstances. Besides, these little micro systems are just plain cool.

Mirrorless cameras still don't have reasonably useful tracking autofocus, and most have either no viewfinder at all, or an EVF that's near useless for moving subjects. For me, that's giving up most of the reason to have a camera.

As for "cool", it sounds like you're the one craving attention. I couldn't care less how either I or my cameras looks to others.

The advantages of the mirrorless cams come down to convenience. What has changed is, you aren't sacrificing IQ or capability for that convenience any more.

You are sacrificing massive capabilities, as stated above.

The best camera is the one you have with you.

No it's not. The best camera to have with you is the one best suited to the job at hand.

You're much more likely to have a mirrorless cam with you, because they're a lot less imposing on whatever else you're doing.

No, I'm much more likely to have my pocket cam with me. A mirrorless and a dSLR are the same in that way (have to carry a bag either way).

Example: I took my newly acquired EM5 and family to the Rolex 3 Day Event, an equestrian competition. It all came home when I passed some poor soul lugging a D700 and an obscenely large lens. I don't doubt they got some great shots, but the little guy did pretty good. With two very active daughters to keep track of, I wouldn't have bothered with the full dslr setup.

That's you. I carried 10 pounds of dSLR gear all over Disney with my wife and 5-year-old for 6 straight days, no problem whatsoever.

That's not noise on the horse's hindquarters, it's specks of dirt being thrown up by the hooves. The 45 1.8 prime is one sharp lens.

And one short lens. What did you carry for 400mm-equivalent?

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

brent collins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,907
Like?
Re: lots of reasons

After shoulder surgery I was VERY limited to what I could carry and the E-PL2 was a perfect camera to bridge the gap from crappy point & shoot to the 7D. So good in fact that I tend to grab it for more day to day shooting than I do the 7D.

Many people have various reasons for wanting smaller lighter gear and lots more have the skills to get results as good or better than others using a monster DSLR.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads