Dpreview's OM-D E-M5 Review, Second thread

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,478Gear list
Like?
Dpreview's OM-D E-M5 Review, Second thread
Apr 30, 2012
  • As the first from Richard Butler, as reached the limit, I though it was a good idea to start the second for some who have missed to post due to the limit, and also because the OM-D E-M5 deserves it

• The original thread is here:

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Hope R. Butler ...
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 30, 2012
  • I hope that the R. Butler did not bother with this second thread

-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 15,076
Like?

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

I hope that the R. Butler did not bother with this second thread

Then why should we ? ...

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to Detail Man, Apr 30, 2012

Detail Man wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

I hope that the R. Butler did not bother with this second thread

Then why should we ? ...

Just tough that, after all he owns the Patent of the thread

-- hide signature --

Richard Butler
dpreview AdminPosts: 1,997
Like?

I'll be reading, just to make sure I've not overlooked anything important.

Richard - dpreview.com

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: My reply to: hahahah ...

hahaha wrote:
Relax
Really?? Would you be happy if your GH2 get "Gold"?
Of course you would LOL
I have GH2 and 2 Pens, so I'm happy for Oly

Now, since you are a Panasonic fan, ambassador, or whatever, just tell them to > not to make another boring G camera. The only not boring Lumix G is GH2. > Period.
"LC1" m4/3 would get 'Gold', believe me LOL

• First I am not a Panasonic Fanboy, maybe only a Panny boy, not a fanatic one, I like both brands, just bough Panasonic first because the G1 was the first Micro 4/3 camera (before I had Olympus, and Nikons, and some Fuji)

• I am always relaxed, even if it don't seems

• I don't have the GH2, If I care about to have a camera with a Gold Award from Dpreview I would buy it, if I like the camera

• I still use cameras that had less than the GH2 79% Silver Award, the GF1 and G2, and I am still happy with them and with the lenses

• No worries

Aleo Veuliah wrote:
It is a good review, no doubt Dpreview is still the best

1% is really insignificant but can a camera to get the gold, and some people only > > care for the gold
The GH2 have 79%, 1% more and got gold also

To me does not matter much, I choose a camera based on the specs and good > > samples and good reviews, also the forums can help a lot
All the best,
Aleo

-- hide signature --

Timur Born
Senior MemberPosts: 3,964
Like?
In reply to Richard Butler, Apr 30, 2012

One correction from my side:

R Butler wrote:

When initiated from stills shooting modes, movies are always shot in Program mode, with the camera setting aperture, shutter speed and ISO with no user input. Focus is also switched to S-AF, with the Fn1 button performing an AF acquisition (regardless of what focus mode you're in or how you've configured the Fn1 button).

As far as I can tell this is not correct. In stills modes (PASM) movies use the same focus that was last set in Movie mode. So if AF-C was set in Movie mode you get AF-C in stills modes movie recording, too.

Furthermore the Fn1 button only performs AF acquisition when it is set to AEL/AFL and any other button that is set to AEL/AFL does the same. In stills modes it behaves nearly the same as a half-press shutter, with the exception that when shifting button hold from L-Fn to AEL/AFL (Fn1) the camera does a quick refocus once L-Fn is released.

I consider the AEL/AFL (Fn1) behavior in stills mode to be a firmware bug, because it should perform AEL just like in Movie mode. You can even engage AEL before recording, but cannot switch it off during recording (which is possible in Movie mode).

Last but not least, using AF-C focus offers three (3) different focus operations:

• Continuous focus without touching any buttons, which behaves like a mixture of "Full Time AF" and AF-C in stills modes.

• Quick focus when half-pressing the shutter (or AEL/AFL/Fn1 in stills modes movie recording).

• Smooth and slow focus when releasing "Focus Stop", either from L-Fn, from half-press shutter or AEL/AFL (in stills modes).

Here is a demonstration video of the different focus operations: http://youtu.be/AIpaQH8Fpp8

Clark666
Senior MemberPosts: 1,253Gear list
Like?
4/3s Lens Operations

Did you try the various 4/3s lenses on the E-M5?
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75673106@N00/

Clark666's gear list:Clark666's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS M Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Richard Butler
Like?
In reply to Timur Born, Apr 30, 2012

Timur Born wrote:

As far as I can tell this is not correct. In stills modes (PASM) movies use the same focus that was last set in Movie mode. So if AF-C was set in Movie mode you get AF-C in stills modes movie recording, too.

You're absolutely right. I mean, why wouldn't it?

Furthermore the Fn1 button only performs AF acquisition when it is set to AEL/AFL and any other button that is set to AEL/AFL does the same. In stills modes it behaves nearly the same as a half-press shutter, with the exception that when shifting button hold from L-Fn to AEL/AFL (Fn1) the camera does a quick refocus once L-Fn is released.

Actually, just testing it now, Fn1 continues to be focus acquire, even when Fn1 is set to D-O-F Preview or WB, for instance.

I consider the AEL/AFL (Fn1) behavior in stills mode to be a firmware bug, because it should perform AEL just like in Movie mode. You can even engage AEL before recording, but cannot switch it off during recording (which is possible in Movie mode).

Certainly one of those two factors is a bug.

Last but not least, using AF-C focus offers three (3) different focus operations:

• Continuous focus without touching any buttons, which behaves like a mixture of "Full Time AF" and AF-C in stills modes.

• Quick focus when half-pressing the shutter (or AEL/AFL/Fn1 in stills modes movie recording).

• Smooth and slow focus when releasing "Focus Stop", either from L-Fn, from half-press shutter or AEL/AFL (in stills modes).

Here is a demonstration video of the different focus operations: http://youtu.be/AIpaQH8Fpp8

I'll have to look into this further and maybe include it in my 'things to know about the E-M5' article.

Every time I think I've got my head 'round the way it works, there turns out to be another quirk. Thanks for the info.

Richard - dpreview.com

Pedagydusz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,360Gear list
Like?
Richard, why no Teleextender for video?

Richard, have you an idea of why the Digital Tele Extender feature works for stills and not for video?
--
Antonio

http://ferrer.smugmug.com/

Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Adobe Photoshop CS6
ppotka
Regular MemberPosts: 261
Like?
To Richard Butler on IBIS and continuos shooting

I have shot quite a few series without noticing degradation of IBIS performance inside series. Meaning: there has been no cases to make me suspect anything being wrong. Which means that I have not actually tested either. I will take a closer look to see if there is any pattern as I really have done so many series of shots (continuous-L + IBIS) for other reasons.
-p-
--
pekkapotka.com

Timur Born
Like?

R Butler wrote:

Actually, just testing it now, Fn1 continues to be focus acquire, even when Fn1 is set to D-O-F Preview or WB, for instance.

Seems like it depends on what you set to Fn1. When you set it to TeleConverter (digital zoom) it does not perform focus acquire anymore. Once I find time I will report the AEL/AFL behavior in stills modes as a bug.

Timur Born
Like?

R Butler wrote:

I'll have to look into this further and maybe include it in my 'things to know about the E-M5' article.

Every time I think I've got my head 'round the way it works, there turns out to be another quirk. Thanks for the info.

Which just reminds me. Take a look at AF-C + Tracking mode. Interestingly the Tracking box behaves differently to the three possible AF Stop/Acquire buttons. L-Fn turns it off, half-press shutter keeps it focused on the last object (or edge if the object moves out of frame), AEL/AFL/Fn1 acquires a new object for tracking (the one under the current AF spot).

The latter is an interesting conflict with the AEL behavior.

One thing I will send as suggestion/feedback to Olympus is to allow setting "Focus Stop" to Fn1/2 for those lenses that do not offer the L-Fn button (all of them). This seems important, because only "Focus Stop" allows to use smooth/slow focus without doing a quick focus (re)acquire) when the button is pressed.

Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,891
Like?
Does Olympus ME-1 work on EM-5?

I posted several weeks ago wondering if the Olympus ME-1 Eye Cup Magnifier (or ones made by Sony, Nikon, Pentax) will work/fit on the EM-5., but got no response. The Olympus website says it is for their DSLRs, but if it would work with the EM-5 then, I think, it would extend the VF a bit from the back of the camera and make it easier for people who use their left eye. Of course, it would also make the view larger since that is the main purpose. I posted again earlier today, but maybe no one saw it:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41380473

Maybe someone in this thread will take a look at the post linked to above and have an answer. Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

acahaya
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
P,ease include C-AF + Vivid + small AF Field is usable ...
In reply to ppotka, Apr 30, 2012

in your article about things to know aout the E-M5.
It was discussed here in several threads and it really makes a difference.
--
http://www.acahaya.com

acahaya's gear list:acahaya's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Richard Butler
Like?
In reply to Timur Born, Apr 30, 2012

Timur Born wrote:

R Butler wrote:

Which just reminds me. Take a look at AF-C + Tracking mode. Interestingly the Tracking box behaves differently to the three possible AF Stop/Acquire buttons. L-Fn turns it off, half-press shutter keeps it focused on the last object (or edge if the object moves out of frame), AEL/AFL/Fn1 acquires a new object for tracking (the one under the current AF spot).

The latter is an interesting conflict with the AEL behavior.

I'm not seeing that one. With FN1 set to AEL/AFL, in C-AF Tracking mode, with the shutter half-pressed it continues to track the subject. Pressing Fn1 lights up the AEL display box.

One thing I will send as suggestion/feedback to Olympus is to allow setting "Focus Stop" to Fn1/2 for those lenses that do not offer the L-Fn button (all of them). This seems important, because only "Focus Stop" allows to use smooth/slow focus without doing a quick focus (re)acquire) when the button is pressed.

That does sound useful.

Richard

Richard Butler
Like?
Re: To Richard Butler on IBIS and continuos shooting
In reply to ppotka, Apr 30, 2012

ppotka wrote:

I have shot quite a few series without noticing degradation of IBIS performance inside series. Meaning: there has been no cases to make me suspect anything being wrong. Which means that I have not actually tested either. I will take a closer look to see if there is any pattern as I really have done so many series of shots (continuous-L + IBIS) for other reasons.
-p-

I'll try to have a look this afternoon, too.

Richard - dpreview.com

Richard Butler
Like?
Re: Does Olympus ME-1 work on EM-5?
In reply to Henry Richardson, Apr 30, 2012

Henry Richardson wrote:

I posted several weeks ago wondering if the Olympus ME-1 Eye Cup Magnifier (or ones made by Sony, Nikon, Pentax) will work/fit on the EM-5., but got no response. The Olympus website says it is for their DSLRs, but if it would work with the EM-5 then, I think, it would extend the VF a bit from the back of the camera and make it easier for people who use their left eye. Of course, it would also make the view larger since that is the main purpose. I posted again earlier today, but maybe no one saw it:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41380473

Maybe someone in this thread will take a look at the post linked to above and have an answer. Thank you.

I really don't know, I'm afraid - I'm not familiar enough with how the ME-1 mounts. My guess would be no, because it looks like it'd cover the eye sensor. People from Olympus have suggested they were working on a deeper eye cup, though.

Richard - dpreview.com

Timur Born
Like?

R Butler wrote:

I'm not seeing that one. With FN1 set to AEL/AFL, in C-AF Tracking mode, with the shutter half-pressed it continues to track the subject. Pressing Fn1 lights up the AEL display box.

Of course this only happens in stills modes where the AEL/AFL does not perform AEL but focus acquisition (aka new tracking object in C-AF Tracking mode). Movie recording AF mode can also be set separately via Custom Menu A without having to change modes.

And since I got your attention, here is another question:

There's a high-speed viewfinder mode (Custom Menu section J, option 5), that doubles the rate of the viewfinder refresh to 120Hz. The result is lower resolution and faster battery drain than the Normal mode, but with a smoother and more frequent update, for if you're trying to shoot very fast-moving subjects.

Are you sure that it works at lower resolution and not just with a faster and less sophisticated interpolation algorithm (like nearest neighbor instead of bicubic)?

Here is what I found out about the EVF "Fast Mode":

• In "Normal" mode both the screen and EVF will push viewing levels whenever available light is too dark to display a +-0 EV or higher preview. This leads to noticeable stuttering and smearing in the EVF when you pan the camera around with shadow areas in view. As soon as you point towards a brighter light-source the stuttering vanishes. The E-M5 screen seems to be far less prone to this, while the X10 screen shows a similar behavior.

• Additionally in "Normal" mode you get up to +-3 EV exposure preview (no more, no less, regardless of time/aperture/ISO settings). Using -EV can help with the stuttering smearing, but obviously you could underexpose your images then.

• In "Fast" mode both the EVF and the screen do not push shadows/dark lit areas to +-0 EV anymore. Furthermore any setting higher than +1 EV exposure (compensation) has no effect on the preview of these shadow areas, while bright areas' preview is still affected by the full +3 EV range. As a result the EVF/screen image can get so dark that you can hardly make out things that you can easily see with your eyes. But the advantage is that there is no stuttering/smearing of shadow areas anymore.

• Additionally in "Fast" mode the interpolation algorithm of the EVF and screen are changed to a faster and thus less precise one. This will show in apparently less detail, jagged lines and flickering pixels where edges move due to camera motion.

• There is a menu option called "Live View Boost" that allows to turn off exposure compensation preview. Nevertheless shadows still get boosted to +-0 EV at "Normal" Frame Rate setting, so this doesn't really help with the stuttering/smearing.

Uncle Albert
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
Question for DPReview Dudes!
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, May 1, 2012

I'm glad you rated the EM-5 so highly, I think it deserves all the praise it gets. But it gets me to thinking -

I noticed your highest-rated camera is the Canon EOS-1D Mark IV with 89%. Has there ever been a camera that hits 100% on your scale, or 90%? If not, what would that camera look like? Is it possible to hit 100%? If 100% is an impossible goal, then should the cameras on the scale be bumped up 10%?

Just curious.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads