Looking more and more at Nikon stuff....

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
TrojMacReady
Senior MemberPosts: 8,364
Like?
that shoul read...
In reply to TrojMacReady, May 1, 2012

Stflbn wrote:

So, is there some other alternative Sony photo product related forum that's more actively moderated? If not... it would not be difficult to establish.

Dyxum for example. You'll find that some of the Dpreview posters wear completely different masks on different forums, depending on how well the forums are moderated. Least moderated to most moderated: SAR -> DPReview -> Dyxum. With the first showing their real colours.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gionni Dorelli
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?
Re: Looking more and more at Nikon stuff....
In reply to sybersitizen, May 1, 2012

sybersitizen wrote:

Gionni Dorelli wrote:

Just saying... some thoughts of a Pro user, yet with a bit of humor.

Top ten responses with a bit of humor:

1) That's nice.

2) What's a Nikon?

3) I enjoy potato chips. Just sayin'.

4) Wake me up if anything important is posted.

5) Silly me... here I am looking at my photos lately.

6) Did somebody say something? I really wasn't paying attention.

7) I'm calling the cops on you. Pro users are not allowed to buy Sony.

8) Good job! It's an established fact that Nikon has no drawbacks whatsoever. None. Zilch.

9) (For advanced readers only.) If a tree falls in the forest and it's photographed with a Nikon, does the image have noise?

10) Naivete is so cute... you'll eventually learn that CANOKONYPENOLY is the best brand out there. Anything else is a waste of time.

Loved it!
tanks!

Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 12,824
Like?
Re: That's how it starts...
In reply to Gionni Dorelli, May 1, 2012

Gionni Dorelli wrote:

the problem with posts like mine, is that most of the people the should not be interested in it,

Ding ding ding ! We have a winner !

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 12,824
Like?
Re: NoSuch Thing....
In reply to Ray Maines, May 1, 2012

Ray Maines wrote:

I hope you'll be as happy with Nikon and all of their silly ergonomic issues and impossible to actually buy accessories as most of us are with Sony and all of their arrogant ways and total lack of accessories.

• Dennis

-- hide signature --
cyainparadise
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,577
Like?
Et, tu Amateur?
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, May 1, 2012

What is wrong with you and CFynn? If you and CFynn, would look at my post and the post I replied to, you would see that nowhere did I mention 'professional'. I wish some people on this forum (and this planet) had a little more sense of humor, rather than taking everything at face value. This world would be a lot better.

Amateur Sony Shooter wrote:

Apparently there are two ways to define "pro": by occupation or by ability & achievement. If someone is making living doing photographic tasks, even if s/he is an assistant or backup shooter, that person is pro already. Much like a young grad from cooking school and start working in a restaurant. OTOH, there are those accomplished photographers who's work constantly get published and sold through various channels, to me they are "pro" as well. Personally I am in none of those but will always aim towards later category. Photo is my "serious" hobby, in addition to my other hobbies (whisky tasting, audiophile, interior design, etc.). Cheers!

Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,303Gear list
Like?
Re: Et, tu Amateur?
In reply to cyainparadise, May 1, 2012

I can't say for CFynn, but I certainly didn't have any intention to provoke you, at all. If my wording in any way make you feel that way, please forgive me, and don't worry about it. It just a conversation carried to a different path then original post. Lately there are lots of posts about "Nikon" and "Sony ISO" (heck, I even had a thread there too) that got so many people cranked up. Time to enjoy nice spring and taking some photos. Cheers!

cyainparadise wrote:

What is wrong with you and CFynn? If you and CFynn, would look at my post and the post I replied to, you would see that nowhere did I mention 'professional'. I wish some people on this forum (and this planet) had a little more sense of humor, rather than taking everything at face value. This world would be a lot better.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 7D Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +11 more
jmtdallastx
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
insecurities....?
In reply to Ionian, May 1, 2012

not at all. if he wants to go Nikon then let him. when i was younger i used Canon. thru college i had a Nikon. now i use Sony. guess what? my pictures on my wall - i can't tell which camera took the picture! all i'm saying is.. LET HIM!

the hindenberg explosion picture.. do you know what camera took that?? who gives a crap. when i saw that picture, all i can think of is how scary it must be if you were a passenger. now? i'm thinking the photographer was at the right place at the right time to take that picture.

in the end 99% of the general public does not really cares what camera you're using, its really how good the picture is!

jmtdallastx's gear list:jmtdallastx's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
trainerKEN
Regular MemberPosts: 287
Like?
In reply to two_stanley, May 1, 2012

two_stanley wrote:

Whew! Thanks for the heads up... Now I can continue on with my life knowing that you are looking at Nikon stuff.

I can finally get some closure and sleep tonight.

Gionni Dorelli wrote:

Just saying.

yeah, really. I don't understand why people feel the need to start a threads/discussions like this. It's like high school again. It's like they are looking for people to either plead with them to stay or people to say "Hey! I'm with ya!! Let's GO!!"

NPPhoto
Senior MemberPosts: 1,084
Like?
In reply to trainerKEN, May 1, 2012

It's all about being in a support group. e.g.

Hi, I'm Gionni. I am looking at Nikon stuff.
Hi, Gionni. Wellcome to the support group.

trainerKEN wrote:

two_stanley wrote:

Whew! Thanks for the heads up... Now I can continue on with my life knowing that you are looking at Nikon stuff.

I can finally get some closure and sleep tonight.

Gionni Dorelli wrote:

Just saying.

yeah, really. I don't understand why people feel the need to start a threads/discussions like this. It's like high school again. It's like they are looking for people to either plead with them to stay or people to say "Hey! I'm with ya!! Let's GO!!"

-- hide signature --

Nick P

Guido FORRIER
Senior MemberPosts: 1,341
Like?
In reply to NPPhoto, May 1, 2012

i am selling some old stuff on ebay in the hope i can buy a wide angle lens of good quality for the sony A900 ....... but i see that i can buy a brand new zeiss 25mm 2,8 in Nikon mount for 800€ .

ok there s the zeiss/sony 24 mm but that lens is damned heavy in weight and euro's .

C Zeiss make a bunch of very good lenses for Canon and ....NIKON ! there is stil an M42 mount Zeiss 25mm on the market . I can use it on the sony with adapter but also on a Nikon .....

if i had the money i bought an nikon 800 E .... i am tempted to sell the sony gear when i hear or see nothing new from sony (replacing the A900) .

So... i only stay with the (very good ) Sony because i will not burn some savings to buy a new system .
kindly,
guido

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 16,144Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, D800 is better
In reply to Gionni Dorelli, May 1, 2012

Gionni Dorelli wrote:

D800 is the best Dslr out there at the moment. Period.

I think you're right but it's way out of my price range.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
PeteC21
Regular MemberPosts: 426Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gionni Dorelli, May 2, 2012

Me too! I've looked at Nikon, and Canon.

I have an a580, 16-105, 70-300G, M50 f/1.7, M100 f/2.8 Macro RS, Tokina 11-16, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 II, and Sony HVL-42.

I've also picked up an NEX-5N w 18-55, 16, Wide Angle Converter, Fisheye Converter, Sigma 30 f/2.8, and Tamron 18-200.

I've considered keeping the NEX-5N as a travel/light weight kit, everything fits in ONE small/medium sized bag and selling off the a-mount gear for Nikon or Canon. However, when I look at what I'd probably get selling it off and purchasing the Nikon/Canon gear new I would not have nearly as much flexibility.

After reading a number of threads about the shortcomings of the a77 I start getting the trade-in itch but when I run the numbers it just doesn't work for me.

For now, I'm looking forward to getting out this Spring/Summer and using what I have, getting better with what I have, and hoping that in the next 12 months more of Sony's offerings will be available and reviewed and I can make an easy upgrade decision, ie, a77 v 2.1 w great IQ and high ISO, or maybe an affordable FF.

PeteC21's gear list:PeteC21's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +9 more
Biggs23
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,467Gear list
Like?
In reply to tbcass, May 2, 2012

Gionni Dorelli wrote:

I strongly disagree. I believe that honor would go to the Nikon D4.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
ejw07
Regular MemberPosts: 338Gear list
Like?

I just left Nikon.. to many Issues to list specially with the 800 waitng is not for me 2 mths no way. Sold my D700 got the Fuji X pro1 and picking up the A77 but looking for a good prime lens for Macro../ all round to use..any ideas..
--
EJ

ejw07's gear list:ejw07's gear list
Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
dodgebaena
Regular MemberPosts: 234
Like?
Re: Don't look. You should buy some. (NT)

Gionni Dorelli wrote:

I may well do that. That is why I'm looking...;)

Owned Nikon for 20 years till 2004.
Not scared of doing it again.

Owned Canon since the 5D1 came out but switched to Sony last December due to the glowing potential of SLT (on paper) esp for video. It helped that the a65 had the little extras such as tilt screen.

Have been disappointed at the problems I'm having with flash photography (see my other threads), the noise at ISO1600 (my bread and butter is available light Event photography), and the inconsistent write speed.

Not afraid to switch brands again; however, I think mirrorless is the way to go and the Olympus E-M5 loks very promising, esp now that tyhere are claims that ISO1600 approaches APS-C noise quality.

dodgebaena
Regular MemberPosts: 234
Like?
In reply to PeteC21, May 2, 2012

PeteC21 wrote:

Me too! I've looked at Nikon, and Canon.

I have an a580, 16-105, 70-300G, M50 f/1.7, M100 f/2.8 Macro RS, Tokina 11-16, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 II, and Sony HVL-42.

I've also picked up an NEX-5N w 18-55, 16, Wide Angle Converter, Fisheye Converter, Sigma 30 f/2.8, and Tamron 18-200.

I've considered keeping the NEX-5N as a travel/light weight kit, everything fits in ONE small/medium sized bag and selling off the a-mount gear for Nikon or Canon. However, when I look at what I'd probably get selling it off and purchasing the Nikon/Canon gear new I would not have nearly as much flexibility.

After reading a number of threads about the shortcomings of the a77 I start getting the trade-in itch but when I run the numbers it just doesn't work for me.

For now, I'm looking forward to getting out this Spring/Summer and using what I have, getting better with what I have, and hoping that in the next 12 months more of Sony's offerings will be available and reviewed and I can make an easy upgrade decision, ie, a77 v 2.1 w great IQ and high ISO, or maybe an affordable FF.

I'm on the same boat as you! a65, Nex5N, 16-50, sigma 10-20, 2x43AM, Metz 50 AF-1, and a boatload of Minolta AF lenses. I'm waiting to see how things pan out for the summer and I'l see what I can get for my stuff. might start with testing the market on craigslist. But Nikon and Canon is not for me (I had 5D1, 5D2, 40D, 60D, L lenses) since I think what works for me is mirrorless and light, i.e., the new E-M5

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 16,144Gear list
Like?
In reply to Biggs23, May 2, 2012

Biggs23 wrote:

Gionni Dorelli wrote:

I guess it boils down to which is more important to you, high iso or high res. Since high iso isn't as important to me I'll go with the high res D800.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
Gionni Dorelli
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?
In reply to tbcass, May 3, 2012

tbcass wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

Gionni Dorelli wrote:

I guess it boils down to which is more important to you, high iso or high res. Since high iso isn't as important to me I'll go with the high res D800.

+1

-- hide signature --
TomvL
Contributing MemberPosts: 549
Like?
In reply to Gionni Dorelli, May 3, 2012

Brilliant post!

78 replies to
"Looking more and more at Nikon stuff.... Just saying."

Just a piece of information and so much speculation coming from this.

Don't tell my wife but sometimes I look at other, euh camera's too.

Biggs23
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,467Gear list
Like?
In reply to tbcass, May 3, 2012

tbcass wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

Gionni Dorelli wrote:

Actually there's a lot more to it than that. It's not just high ISO vs. high resolution, it's also build quality, AF accuracy, advanced wireless support via the WT5 or ethernet, ergonomic advantages, among other things. I'm not saying the D4 is the right choice for everyone, it's definitely not, but when you put it beside the D800 the D4 will walk away the winner for the majority of uses. Stating unequivocally that the D800 is the best dSLR available at the moment is... short sighted at best and willfully ignorant at worst.

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads