Update on left AF Point Issue - Nikon seems to solved it

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
voider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,722Gear list
Like?
Update on left AF Point Issue - Nikon seems to solved it
Apr 30, 2012

Hi,

according to my pro store Nikon has identified the problem. It seems to be a software problem which has been fixed on all future cameras. According to them this is why there was such a low delivery over the last weeks.

You can probably send your camera to Nikon and let them fix it quickly...if they ever make a press release about it is still unclear. I am also not sure if every camera or just a few had this problem since many posted examples with good results...
--
Visit http://www.voider.net

russbarnes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,088Gear list
Like?
Re: Update on left AF Point Issue - Nikon seems to solved it
In reply to voider, Apr 30, 2012

Nikon UK has mine right now. They say it has an AF Fault, encouraging at least, proving that half of crap that's been written on here about improper test targets and the like was utter guff. I suspect that a very large number of cameras have this issue and those recently who have said things like "tested on my 70-200 VRII no AF issues" "my 105 VR has perfect AF" have probably not tested with the right lens or conditions however.

russbarnes's gear list:russbarnes's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dominique Dierick
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,467Gear list
Like?

Well, if it is a software calibration of the AF sensor, it can explain the differences in cameras, but also that it won't get fixed with firmware updates.

-- hide signature --

My equipment: Nikon D3s, D800, EOS 450D
The ladies equipment: Panasonic LX5 and GH2 for video

Dominique Dierick's gear list:Dominique Dierick's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Marshal
Senior MemberPosts: 1,893
Like?
In reply to Dominique Dierick, Apr 30, 2012

Why wouldn't a firmware update fix it?

Seems to me they could just update the coding from a firmware update so the AF sensor is reprogrammed with the right calibration data.

Dominique Dierick
Like?
In reply to Marshal, Apr 30, 2012

Since not all cameras have the problem...
--

Fujifilm X100S
danidentity
Contributing MemberPosts: 737
Like?
In reply to Marshal, Apr 30, 2012

Because every AF sensor is slightly different from the factory. They get calibrated to all produce the same output, but that calibration data is different for every sensor. This is very common in most electronics that need calibration.

Marshal wrote:

Why wouldn't a firmware update fix it?

Seems to me they could just update the coding from a firmware update so the AF sensor is reprogrammed with the right calibration data.

diverroy
Contributing MemberPosts: 727
Like?
In reply to russbarnes, Apr 30, 2012

russbarnes wrote:

Nikon UK has mine right now. They say it has an AF Fault, encouraging at least, proving that half of crap that's been written on here about improper test targets and the like was utter guff. I suspect that a very large number of cameras have this issue and those recently who have said things like "tested on my 70-200 VRII no AF issues" "my 105 VR has perfect AF" have probably not tested with the right lens or conditions however.

-- hide signature --

Surely that is the point to test the camera with the lens that you will be using.

Why are you saying test with the right lens.What is the right lens.Every ones lenses will be different.One 105vr maybe ok but another not.

I do not have a problem with any of my lenses.Have I got the wrong lenses.Maybe I should change them for ones that don't work
Diverroy

AtomicPunk
Regular MemberPosts: 253
Like?

This very well could be fixed in FW because if the focus is fine with larger lenses like the 105 and 70-200, then the sensor itself is clearly not out of alignment because it would be out of focus for every single lens, not just certain ones. There could be something wrong with the focus algorithm used in the software with wide angle causing the issue. I'm not buying a hardware fix right now. Some people can say they sent their camera in and Nikon identified the problem and listed it as some type of AF issue. Read on because there are many posts about sending the D800 in and Nikon identifying the problem only to get it back and have the same issue, then they turn around and send it back in.

jonstatt
Regular MemberPosts: 412
Like?
Nikon have solved it?
In reply to AtomicPunk, Apr 30, 2012

There is NO evidence to suggest Nikon have solved it.

This pro dealer says that's why supplies have been slow? This bit is nonsense. Why still continue to ship out bad ones, just more slowly?!?! I only got mine last week and the serial number suggests its very new, and has the issue.

I have a fairly good theory as to why some cameras show it and some don't. It depends where within the DOF, the middle sensor is focusing for a given lens. The left sensor can still be off, but if it still falls within the DOF, the chances are the user will not notice it. That is the case for nearly all of my lenses, with the 50mm F1.4G lens being the one which by default, focuses right at the very edge of the DOF...meaning the left sensor will be outside, noticeble particularly as distance increases.

Also as focal length increases, DOF decreases. Yet, lenses like the 105DC F2, and 105VR F2.8, are absolutely fine. It "could" still turn out to be firmware.

russbarnes
Like?
In reply to diverroy, Apr 30, 2012

You haven't been following closely enough. The issues exhibit themselves primarily at 50mm or less, f/1.4 to f/3. That's why. Wide angle primes, 24, 35 to 50 1.4 and 24-70 to name just 4.

diverroy wrote:

russbarnes wrote:

-- hide signature --

Surely that is the point to test the camera with the lens that you will be using.

Why are you saying test with the right lens.What is the right lens.Every ones lenses will be different.One 105vr maybe ok but another not.

I do not have a problem with any of my lenses.Have I got the wrong lenses.Maybe I should change them for ones that don't work
Diverroy

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
ukat123
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?
Re: Nikon have solved it?
In reply to jonstatt, Apr 30, 2012

I got my (UK) D800 on Saturday, and because of the dozens of scary threads about AF issues, I spent (wasted) the whole of Sunday testing and shooting exclusively with the left and right AF points, with my 35G 1.4....

Good news, the AF, albeit quite slow with the 35G, is working very very well indeed. I don't even see the need for any AF fine tuning, contrary to when I was using the same lens on my D700 and D3S when I needed to put +8 of fine tuning.

I have not tested it with any other lens and this is my only lens at the moment.

As far as I can tell, the extreme left and extreme right AF points work perfectly well; just as well as the centre point.

That is what I can see.

I discussed with a pro photographer in my area who also tested his D800 with different lenses, and he had NO AF issue whatsoever neither.

I don't know if there is a batch issue or even if there is an issue or it is more people who do things they are not supposed to be doing.

Strange. Perhaps it is just a case of very few people who have problems and they are just a bit vocal on this forum which makes you believe there is a general issue. That is definitely not the case. That's the thing with internet. 10 people complain and it looks like 100000 people.

TOF guy
TOF guy MOD
Forum ProPosts: 11,185Gear list
Like?
Excellent news! The only missing detail now is ...

... the camera itself;)

So new firmware version coming soon?
--
Thierry

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +3 more
jonstatt
Regular MemberPosts: 412
Like?
In reply to ukat123, Apr 30, 2012

I am pleased you seem to have a good one!

It isn't people doing something wrong. I am just pointing my camera using the left sensor at something like a light switch, looking at the picture, and being horrified by what I see. But the only lens where this is extreme is the 50mm 1.4G. Using my 28-70 at 50mm, although then it is 2.8, has no problems.

I am going to try another 50mm lens and see what happens with that one....

When you tested your 35mm lens, you were testing at 1.4 from a good distance away right? None of the problems show up when you are within a couple of feet of the object. Testing from about 1.8-2.0metres away. Take a picture with the left sensor, and then flip to liveview and take the same picture. Then compare which is sharper...

alex111
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?

here are some of the people on this forum that have/had af issue:

alex111
ARB1
wl7
PLMSG
zoltrix79
russbarnes
shzygjrmdwg
Julian Vrieslander
inasir1971
PhillipAnthony
reginalddwight
CaptainObvious
nikoj
andrew_london
4horsemen
Adam Rogers
D800
studio460
tach32000
M Lammerse
handymanuk
Richard Spangler
jonstatt
mattr
Marc Heijligers
AdamBAdam
victor china
furfur local
the resolution
jplatanou
JMacedo
ocean7
Reimar
Livio Spallone

I do not thing its just a few, or some sort of hype!

ukat123 wrote:

I got my (UK) D800 on Saturday, and because of the dozens of scary threads about AF issues, I spent (wasted) the whole of Sunday testing and shooting exclusively with the left and right AF points, with my 35G 1.4....

Good news, the AF, albeit quite slow with the 35G, is working very very well indeed. I don't even see the need for any AF fine tuning, contrary to when I was using the same lens on my D700 and D3S when I needed to put +8 of fine tuning.

I have not tested it with any other lens and this is my only lens at the moment.

As far as I can tell, the extreme left and extreme right AF points work perfectly well; just as well as the centre point.

That is what I can see.

I discussed with a pro photographer in my area who also tested his D800 with different lenses, and he had NO AF issue whatsoever neither.

I don't know if there is a batch issue or even if there is an issue or it is more people who do things they are not supposed to be doing.

Strange. Perhaps it is just a case of very few people who have problems and they are just a bit vocal on this forum which makes you believe there is a general issue. That is definitely not the case. That's the thing with internet. 10 people complain and it looks like 100000 people.

russbarnes
Like?

So because your camera is working you have deduced that it's not a general issue. Definitely.

ukat123 wrote:

Dominique Dierick
Like?
Exactly the same as I experienced

AF tuning for 35 1.4 and 85 1.4 are 0 on my D800. They needed various tuning values on my D3s, D700 and D7000.

D.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X100S
Dominique Dierick
Like?

In a sense he is right. There are enough good working cameras around to be able to state it is not a general issue. Which does not exclude the fact there will always be cameras that do not work according to specs. That is clear from the people who have problems with their D800.

D.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X100S
russbarnes
Like?
In reply to Dominique Dierick, Apr 30, 2012

I qualify a general issue as something like half the cameras out there right now. I could easily believe the problem is at least that big. There are way too many people reporting the same fault for this NOT to be considered a general issue now in my view and I'm willing bet big Nikon know it too...

Dominique Dierick wrote:

In a sense he is right. There are enough good working cameras around to be able to state it is not a general issue. Which does not exclude the fact there will always be cameras that do not work according to specs. That is clear from the people who have problems with their D800.

D.

-- hide signature --

vincent__l
Regular MemberPosts: 323
Like?

This sweeping claim seems quite easy to validate. If there is even one D800 in the next batch, which has the AF issue, then the statement is invalid.

voider wrote:

Hi,

according to my pro store Nikon has identified the problem. It seems to be a software problem which has been fixed on all future cameras.

(emphasis added)

Dominique Dierick
Like?

Unfortunately, we will likely never know. Could be 50%, could be 5%. If the 30.000 cameras per month was a correct Nikon figure, worldwide there would be 1500 cameras with an issue in the second case. That can explain what we see/read on the net as well.

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X100S
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads