Color correction on the ZS15

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,716Gear list
Like?
Color correction on the ZS15
Apr 30, 2012

This probably applies to the ZS20 as well.

Anyhow, my ZS15 seems to over-emphasize greens and yellow-greens and does so with most of the WB settings, even Custom WB. In other respects, I really like the camera. Other than WB adjustments (except on AWB) there are no color adjustments. And your color mode choices are Standard, Viviid, B&W, and Sepia.

So I decided to try creating a color filter in one of my editors. I dug out my MacBeth Color Checker and took a Custom WB shot of it, and along with some outdoor shots that have fluorescent green grass and leaves, I worked up a filter. Even with the Custom WB, the shot of the Color Checker showed too much green in the neutrals along the bottom edge.

The filter is quite successful. I had compared the results from the ZS15 against a Canon SX230HS and comparing the out of camera results to the actual scene, the Canon's greens were a little too toned down, and the ZS15's over-the-top. The filter gets the greens closer to reality and neutral colors lose the greenish cast they had. The alternative is to go back to the Canon which is a little closer to reality and not so jarring SOOC. Plus, the Canon has internal controls for sharpening, contrast, saturation, and color.

Of course, this means running all my ZS15 shots through the filter and then saving the filtered images with an F suffix.
--
Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 (Lumix DMC-TZ6)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Erik Ohlson
Forum ProPosts: 12,227
Like?
Re: Color correction on the ZS15
In reply to GeraldW, Apr 30, 2012

GeraldW wrote:

This probably applies to the ZS20 as well.

Anyhow, my ZS15 seems to over-emphasize greens and yellow-greens and does so with most of the WB settings, even Custom WB. In other respects, I really like the camera. Other than WB adjustments (except on AWB) there are no color adjustments. And your color mode choices are Standard, Viviid, B&W, and Sepia.

So I decided to try creating a color filter in one of my editors. I dug out my MacBeth Color Checker and took a Custom WB shot of it, and along with some outdoor shots that have fluorescent green grass and leaves, I worked up a filter. Even with the Custom WB, the shot of the Color Checker showed too much green in the neutrals along the bottom edge.

The filter is quite successful. I had compared the results from the ZS15 against a Canon SX230HS and comparing the out of camera results to the actual scene, the Canon's greens were a little too toned down, and the ZS15's over-the-top. The filter gets the greens closer to reality and neutral colors lose the greenish cast they had. The alternative is to go back to the Canon which is a little closer to reality and not so jarring SOOC. Plus, the Canon has internal controls for sharpening, contrast, saturation, and color.

Of course, this means running all my ZS15 shots through the filter and then saving the filtered images with an F suffix.
--
Jerry

Very interesting.

I actually found my ZS19 to be slightly "toned down " and have resorted to "Vivid" setting.

For just the odd "White Balance" problem - [I've had ONE, in early morning] - I would just open my Jpeg in the PSE8 "raw" processor, and adjust the white balance. My PP "skill level" falls far short of what you did

-Erik

-- hide signature --

DP Review Supporter.

'He who hesitates is not only lost - he's miles from the next Exit.'
http://www.flickr.com/ohlsonmh/ ohlsonmh@yahoo.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shadeaux
Regular MemberPosts: 156
Like?
In reply to Erik Ohlson, Apr 30, 2012

Just to confuse the issue, I'm finding the colors with the ZS20 to be almost perfect. I'm not having to do much processing at all. I think some of this is personal preference; I like a bit more color than some people. If I use the vivid setting it's almost too saturated. I occasionally use the 'happy' setting in IA mode....now that over saturates everything, definitely not "normal" looking, but it makes for an interesting picture.

Braxton7
Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shadeaux, Apr 30, 2012

I've only played with mine a little bit but I like the colors fine so far.

Braxton7's gear list:Braxton7's gear list
Olympus E-410 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +7 more
peter42y
Senior MemberPosts: 2,108Gear list
Like?
In reply to Braxton7, Apr 30, 2012

interesting topic.
I have the sx 220 hs that is exactly the 230hs without GPS.

curiously I find the pictures colors a bit blueish, greenish , sometimes, not always.
Color is a bit off.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/hHyCYP5WHrQ2Mboy1aYodVUwssPPOzHhFuXWuJCUf4E?feat=directlink

peter42y's gear list:peter42y's gear list
Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-T1
peter42y
Like?
In reply to peter42y, Apr 30, 2012

For some reason I cannot modify the message.
Here is another picture of the same monument from wikipedia.
The wikipedia picture does look much better than my shot.

Please comment ( My picture compared with the wiki picture ).

peter42y
Like?

It looks I am out of luck. Not only I was unable to change my message.., but the link to the wikipedia picture did not show up. Here is a link to the wikipedia entry.

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pra%C3%A7a_Afonso_de_Albuquerque

Realll
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?

I've found that images of TZ25 are some kind oversaturated. I use Faststone Viewer and just decrease saturation settings on 10-15 points and pictures color become more precise. Now I compare images of my FZ 38 and TZ25 and in half of cases TZ25 is even better! I didn't think it is possible. Next step is to compare low light shots of TZ25 and FZ38!

Realll's gear list:Realll's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads