Hope GH3 to be a real improvement over GH2.

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
Condor
Senior MemberPosts: 1,768
Like?
Hope GH3 to be a real improvement over GH2.
Apr 30, 2012

I really hope that GH3 ends up objetivly been a real 2 years technologicall advance and improve over GH2 benchmark.

The things I really need to at least still equal or better are ( just based in our very especific family needs and preferences):

• "Multiple Aspect Ratios", since we just shoot 16:9. Making GH2 the by far best m43 16:9 and probably also 3:2 camera in the present.

• The by far best video ouput of any present m43 real hybrid camera , not taking into account even the improved hacked ouput and options.

• 160 real lower base ISO, hopefully lower.

• Real high ISOs denominations.

• The best m43 camera for obtaining more and best details of either macro or distant subjects and for the wide shots crops we used to so frequently do, not mentioning ours two fingers dig-in in our Ipads and Iphones..

• Grip as part of the original price of the camera. I don't want to be naively cheated by paying the half of best GH2 body's price for some additional weight and bulkiness separated unit.

• Built-in pop-up flash, but hopefully with a 45 degrees to the roof tiltable position.

• Hot shoe, for when I need my Oly 36R.

• Real and usable C-AF Tracking.

• The best output/price/features of their own version lenses, which so far work better with their own brand bodies, as the alternative brand does also.

• Sensor sizes (MAR). Don't want a smaller size sensor just to artificially produce better looking first sight images, and which would reduce Extra Zoom Conversion options.

About things to be added.

I like weather sealling, but not if eventual new weather sealled lenses would produce lower quality ouputs or be more expensive than present versions.

Ed

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
FFS
FFS
Senior MemberPosts: 1,757
Like?
From the video side...
In reply to Condor, Apr 30, 2012

I just would like to have a higher data throughput sensor, allowing higher frame rate and more crisp video. I want to duplicate Peter Jackson's 'Hobbit'.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403720,00.asp

Panasonic stated that it would be incremental upgrade, for still pics wider DR and less noisy high ISO are safe bets that will make the upgrade from GH2 to GH3.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,314Gear list
Like?
Well, if dpreview is right about the OM-D
In reply to Condor, Apr 30, 2012

thyan let's also hope Panasonic really uses this sensor as efficiently as possible. Because IF the Oly uses the same sensor as the GX1 than they show us that sensortechnology is not the problem, it is Panasonic making not the best of it.

I have a GH2 and I am happy. I have to say that weathersealing and usable ISO6400 plus (and it is a big one) IBIS in the Oly are tempting.

Now, Gh3 won't get IBIS I am sure. So in order to be really tempting, they would need to come up with:

• 20-24 MPIxel sensor with the same characteristics as the current Oly one. Same DR and noise (tough I know). But very nice for landscaping on large prints

• Weathersealing

• Good sports BIF shooting, so much better than Oly currently

• Sony like EVF with very hig refreshs but not at the cost of resolution

• Better movie

• Much better JPEGs

• In body HDR

• MF peaking

• Keep the swiveling screen, it is excellent

• 9 FPS and superslomo like Nikon V1

Things like that are need and high MPixelcount would be the first thing they could drop for my taste. Not that important, but nice everstill. Now, I am pretty realistic so I am sure I won't by the GH3 and will have to wait for the GH4 (which will be called GH5).

May be the G5 that is coming up will show us what we are heading for.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Condor
Like?
Re: Well, if dpreview is right about the OM-D
In reply to Jorginho, Apr 30, 2012

Jorginho wrote:

As far as I understand, no present m43 camera beats GH2, the closer is Panny G3.

So, why should it be better than any Oly camera?

Ed

Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,332Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jorginho, May 1, 2012

I've really only got 2 significant gripes about the GH2: the finder "lag" during burst shooting, and relatively poor C-AF (compared to my various current and previous DSLRs). If Panasonic can fix those 2 things, I'll be standing in line. But since camera makers have to offer multiple "improvements" in new models, here are a few more thoughts:

I wouldn't mind a second control dial. Add one in front of the shutter release, like on Canon DSLRs.

"Better" EVF: brighter in bright sunlight, faster refresh rate, more accurate color

The JPEG engine from the GX-1. This is probably a no-brainer. I generally shoot raw, but better jpegs for quick image sharing would be nice.

An ISO of 100, or even 50.

The other things below are fine, thought not terribly important to me, EXCEPT for the higher resolution. I'd much rather have better DR and high-ISO performance than more resolution.

Jorginho wrote:

Now, Gh3 won't get IBIS I am sure. So in order to be really tempting, they would need to come up with:

• 20-24 MPIxel sensor with the same characteristics as the current Oly one. Same DR and noise (tough I know). But very nice for landscaping on large prints

• Weathersealing

• Sony like EVF with very hig refreshs but not at the cost of resolution

• Better movie

• Much better JPEGs

• In body HDR

• MF peaking

• Keep the swiveling screen, it is excellent

• 9 FPS and superslomo like Nikon V1

Things like that are need and high MPixelcount would be the first thing they could drop for my taste. Not that important, but nice everstill. Now, I am pretty realistic so I am sure I won't by the GH3 and will have to wait for the GH4 (which will be called GH5).

May be the G5 that is coming up will show us what we are heading for.

-- hide signature --

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
Re: Hope GH4 to be a real improvement over GH3.
In reply to Condor, May 1, 2012

People, unable to make good photos with GH2 wait for GH3.
Same people, unable to make good photos with GH3 wait for GH4.
Same people, unable to make good photos with GH4 wait for GH5.
Same people, unable to make good photos with GH5 wait for GH6.
Same people, unable to make good photos with GH6 wait for GH7.
Same people, unable to make good photos with GH7 wait for GH8.
Same people, unable to make good photos with GH8 wait for GH9.
They should try a Hello Kitty cam ...

Condor
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, May 1, 2012

Knallberto wrote:

Same people, unable to make good photos with GH3 wait for GH4.
Same people, unable to make good photos with GH4 wait for GH5.
Same people, unable to make good photos with GH5 wait for GH6.
Same people, unable to make good photos with GH6 wait for GH7.
Same people, unable to make good photos with GH7 wait for GH8.
Same people, unable to make good photos with GH8 wait for GH9.

I really hope this guy didn't burn his 2 neurons with such a mental effort.

Ed

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: Hope GH3 to be a real improvement over GH2.

Condor wrote:

I really hope that GH3 ends up objetivly been a real 2 years technologicall advance and improve over GH2 benchmark.

The things I really need to at least still equal or better are ( just based in our very especific family needs and preferences):

• "Multiple Aspect Ratios", since we just shoot 16:9. Making GH2 the by far best m43 16:9 and probably also 3:2 camera in the present.

• The by far best video ouput of any present m43 real hybrid camera , not taking into account even the improved hacked ouput and options.

• 160 real lower base ISO, hopefully lower.

Liked

• Real high ISOs denominations.

Liked

• The best m43 camera for obtaining more and best details of either macro or distant subjects and for the wide shots crops we used to so frequently do, not mentioning ours two fingers dig-in in our Ipads and Iphones..

• Grip as part of the original price of the camera. I don't want to be naively cheated by paying the half of best GH2 body's price for some additional weight and bulkiness separated unit.

Liked

• Built-in pop-up flash, but hopefully with a 45 degrees to the roof tiltable position.

• Hot shoe, for when I need my Oly 36R.

• Real and usable C-AF Tracking.

• The best output/price/features of their own version lenses, which so far work better with their own brand bodies, as the alternative brand does also.

• Sensor sizes (MAR). Don't want a smaller size sensor just to artificially produce better looking first sight images, and which would reduce Extra Zoom Conversion options.

About things to be added.

I like weather sealling, but not if eventual new weather sealled lenses would produce lower quality ouputs or be more expensive than present versions.

Ed

Let's see what Panasonic means, when they said Photokina is going to be very important for them, don't know if they said that only about the GH3 and the new weather sealed f/2.8 zooms, and the G5, or if there is another surprise on other products

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
SF Photo Gal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,054Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, May 1, 2012

I wish they'd add a second input jack. I'd like to be able to use an external mic AND a remote shutter release. I'd also like an earphone jack, and tethering, and for god sakes, isn't it time to add wireless flash?????

SF Photo Gal aka Queer Chick
Canon 1DsIII & 5DII/Panasonic GH1-GF1-LX3

SF Photo Gal's gear list:SF Photo Gal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +8 more
Condor
Like?
In reply to Bob Meyer, May 1, 2012

Bob Meyer wrote:

I've really only got 2 significant gripes about the GH2: the finder "lag" during burst shooting, and relatively poor C-AF (compared to my various current and previous DSLRs). If Panasonic can fix those 2 things, I'll be standing in line.

It seems that finder lag and C-AF are indeed the main differences with DSLRs.

Now, my question is. What wiil happen when the first m43 camera equals those 2 DSLRs performances? Would it mean the start of the end of them? And If that's the case. Would any brand really dear to do that?

But since camera makers have to offer multiple "improvements" in new models, here are a few more thoughts:

I wouldn't mind a second control dial. Add one in front of the shutter release, like on Canon DSLRs.

"Better" EVF: brighter in bright sunlight, faster refresh rate, more accurate color

The JPEG engine from the GX-1. This is probably a no-brainer. I generally shoot raw, but better jpegs for quick image sharing would be nice.

Since we do not shoot RAW, any JPEG improvement is wellcome.

An ISO of 100, or even 50.

I like that for better details output for our crops, and for our Ipads and Iphones unevitable digging-in.

Ed

Anders W
Forum ProPosts: 15,550Gear list
Like?

Condor wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

As far as I understand, no present m43 camera beats GH2, the closer is Panny G3.

On what grounds do you consider the GH2 superior to the E-M5 for this kind of shooting?

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Condor
Like?
In reply to Anders W, May 1, 2012

Anders W wrote:

Condor wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

On what grounds do you consider the GH2 superior to the E-M5 for this kind of shooting?

I did not mention E-M5 at all, since nobody has tested E-M5 vs GH2 for BIF output.

If you find that test anywhere in the web, please post it immediately to allow all of us to know if there is a new m43 benchmark.

Until that occur, GH2, which nobody has tried to avoid to be compared in real world conditions as handheld , is objectively present benchmark.

If you are not sure, ask any of the real world experienced birders in this forum as LTZ740.

But so far, the E-M5 vs GH2 same 100-300 long lens handheld 300mm output (tested in FTU), showed that GH2 provides better and more details than E-M5.

Ed

Jon Schick
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,186Gear list
Like?

The only areas where I can honestly say the GH-2 holds me back on occasion are:

(1) continuous shooting both in terms of AF and clearing the buffer

(2) white balance and JPEG quality which lags behind the competition (it would be nice to feel that I don't always need to shoot raw)

I'd always be up for better IQ, in particular dynamic range where the Olympus really seems to perform very well indeed. Don't have a problem with the noise levels from the GH-2 at higher ISOs, but a really clean ISO100 would be lovely.

Other than that, there's an awful lot to like about the GH-2, and personally the handling and grip work better for me than the OM-D. Ditto the menu system.

That said, I prefer the OM-D build quality and am sure Panasonic will have to up their game in this area - they know how to do it with their other cameras eg GF-1, GX-1. The GH-2 feels, by comparison, a little disappointing - but haven't experienced any issues in practice (in over a year).

Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs
Bob Meyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,332Gear list
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, May 1, 2012

While there is some truth in what you suggest, there is also sometimes value in the new features or capabilities of newer models. With DSLRs, I generally upgraded only every 2 or 3 generations (e.g., EOS 20D --> 50D, skipping the 30D and 40D).

And I"ll skip the GH3 if it doesn't offer any significant advantages. But if it really does offer a dramatic improvement in C-AF and focus tracking, that's a legitimate advance that can improve one's pictures, in certain shooting situations.

Knallberto wrote:

snip

-- hide signature --

Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image, or the way the lens renders out-of-focus points of light. Bokeh is not the same as depth of field (DOF).

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +12 more
Alan_W1
Contributing MemberPosts: 614
Like?

For me personally, i don't require much of an upgrade over my gh2, as it seems clear to me that m43 will not replace my dslr anyway {for the foreseable future.......with regards to af-c/ tracking}}, and the gh2 is pretty damn good for my general photography and video {although i wish i could disspence with the need for ND's, for video}.

The main frustration i have with the gh2 is the previous mention of ND's, and although the ETC feature of the gh2 is a wonderful feature, it would be great if the future gh3 had a less extreme magnification ratio in the 720p format {for super tele users}, or a variable magnification ratio....assuming that is even possible.

Apart from that, i would see little need to upgrade my gh2, if any improvements are relatively minor.........and only visible in 100% crops/ studio setting enviroments etc.

I may need to upgrade my dslr though, although a new shutter and general service may do the job instead.

Anders W
Like?

Condor wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Condor wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

I did not mention E-M5 at all, since nobody has tested E-M5 vs GH2 for BIF output.

Well you said that no present MFT camera beats the GH2 for BIF. That statement excludes the possibility that the E-M5 does so although we do not know it yet.

If you find that test anywhere in the web, please post it immediately to allow all of us to know if there is a new m43 benchmark.

No, I do not know of such a test. But I know of some reasons why the E-M5 might (we do not know yet) turn out to be superior for this purpose, such as higher frame rate, faster AF readout in AF-C (240 Hz), better sensor (which improves AF accuracy due to lower noise), and claims to improved tracking capabilities.

And yes, I already know that some reviewers, such as Robin Wong, have found the AF-C/tracking performance of the E-M5 disappointing, although we do not know how they have "tested" it (Robin Wong says himself that he is unexperienced with AF-C/tracking) and the "test" does not seem to involve a comparison with any other camera.

Until that occur, GH2, which nobody has tried to avoid to be compared in real world conditions as handheld , is objectively present benchmark.

If you are not sure, ask any of the real world experienced birders in this forum as LTZ740.

I think you might have meant to refer to LTZ470 rather than LTZ740.

But so far, the E-M5 vs GH2 same 100-300 long lens handheld 300mm output (tested in FTU), showed that GH2 provides better and more details than E-M5.

Do you have a link to this comparison?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +18 more
Condor
Like?

Anders W wrote:

Condor wrote:

Well you said that no present MFT camera beats the GH2 for BIF. That statement excludes the possibility that the E-M5 does so although we do not know it yet.

Well, at least in my professional field of work, a benchmark stills been it until a new product proves to be the new one. It is not a responsibility of the official and so far for so long time real world" tested and present benchmark* to prove the contrary.

No, I do not know of such a test. But I know of some reasons why the E-M5 might (we do not know yet) turn out to be superior for this purpose, such as higher frame rate, faster AF readout in AF-C (240 Hz), better sensor (which improves AF accuracy due to lower noise), and claims to improved tracking capabilities.

Well, and again in my professional field, if we were going to take decisions on what it "might"... it wouldn't be a real professional field in fact . Maybe just a hobby or respectable activity

And yes, I already know that some reviewers, such as Robin Wong, have found the AF-C/tracking performance of the E-M5 disappointing, although we do not know how they have "tested" it (Robin Wong says himself that he is unexperienced with AF-C/tracking) and the "test" does not seem to involve a comparison with any other camera.

So, then you are saying that Robin Wong test that you brought to this thread doesn’t help to prove a new benchmark…. For me neither. Ergo, present 1 and half old official benchmark stills the same.

I think you might have meant to refer to LTZ470 rather than LTZ740.

You are right. My problem is that based and all the objective independent information, comments and conclusions we all have always received from LTZ470, it worth more than 470 to me.

But if you want to know, this was his answer when I asked him about the E-M5 I knew he preordered:

LTZ470 wrote:

I cancelled both units I had ordered...waiting on the GH3... just didn't wow me ...maybe later I will pick one up...

Thanks for your answer.

Yes it seems that this nice unit did not replace GH2 as present m43 benchmark.

Ed

It is not me the one who has to provide evidence to prove that a new BIF m43 benchmark exists.

If you are desperate to prove that, you do it.

And please not with ridiculous insignificantly statistical 1% differences between two at least 1 and half years of technological difference products.

And not when the real equivalent configuration of one of them cost almost twice than present benchmark ( if you really buy all the separated parts that the other one already come with ). Be professional please.

Ed

Anders W
Like?

Condor wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Condor wrote:

Anders W wrote:

Condor wrote:

Well, at least in my professional field of work, a benchmark stills been it until a new product proves to be the new one.

So what is your professional field of work?

It is not a responsibility of the official and so far for so long time real world" tested and present benchmark* to prove the contrary.

As far as I can see, the claim of yours that I originally reacted to doesn't use the word "benchmark". However, it excludes the possibility that the E-M5 beats the GH2. Hence I asked you how you could know that.

As to benchmarks, you apparently use the word to denote an object of some kind, in this case a camera. In my professional field of work, the objects under observation never prove anything. The people who observe them do. As it seems, noone has yet reported a satisfactory (in your opinion) test of the GH2 versus the E-M5 for the purpose of shooting BIF. Consequently, we do not yet know whether the GH2 beats the E-M5 for that particular purpose or not.

Well, and again in my professional field, if we were going to take decisions on what it "might"... it wouldn't be a real professional field in fact . Maybe just a hobby or respectable activity

In my professional field, we take the "mights" (otherwise known as hypotheses) very seriously in that they determine what we find it important to test.

But if you want to know, this was his answer when I asked him about the E-M5 I knew he preordered:

LTZ470 wrote:

I cancelled both units I had ordered...waiting on the GH3... just didn't wow me ...maybe later I will pick one up...

I didn't ask you what LTZ470 answered when you asked him if he had bought the E-M5 (one of several reasons being that I already knew). As far as I can tell, his answer merely tells us that the E-M5 didn't "wow" him, not on what basis he arrived at that conclusion. What we do know is that he hadn't, at that point (about three weeks ago), tested the GH2 and the E-M5 side by side for any purpose, let alone for the specific purpose of shooting BIF.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41192661&changemode=1

It is not me the one who has to provide evidence to prove that a new BIF m43 benchmark exists.

Where did I say that you had to provide such evidence? I merely asked (in my original post) for the basis of your exaggerated claim. In the passage right above, I asked you for a link to the FTU test you are talking about. With regard to the latter, I merely note that you are not willing to provide it.

If you are desperate to prove that, you do it.

I am not desperate about anything and have no idea why you think I am.

And please not with ridiculous insignificantly statistical 1% differences between two at least 1 and half years of technological difference products.

I am afraid that you mix up the extent to which a difference is statistically significant with the magnitude of the observed difference. While the two are related, they are not the same thing. It appears that you are also mixing up the performance difference between two products with their age. While the former can sometimes be explained by the latter, they are not the same thing either.

And not when the real equivalent configuration of one of them cost almost twice than present benchmark ( if you really buy all the separated parts that the other one already come with ).

It appears you are mixing things up here too. How much of a performance difference there is between two products is one thing. Whether that difference is worth the price difference to someone is another question (where the answer is likely to vary from one person to another).

Be professional please.

Trying my best. Not sure about you.

Condor
Like?
In reply to Alan_W1, May 1, 2012

Turning back to the original purpose of this thread, which is what would you like that coming GH3 to have and to keep and improve from GH2 to be a real new benchmark in m43 market.

My question now is:

What do you think the price would be?

I mean for the all in one product, not $1000 for the main part, and then $ 300 for the rest to complete it.

Ed

guybie
Contributing MemberPosts: 646Gear list
Like?

This is a message i posted a few times before:

I know it has come up a few times, but can anyone tell me if the E-M5 is better for BIF??

It's the only thing i dislike on my GH2, also frustrating when my friends have 10 good shots while i'm amready "happy" with one.

I know it hast to do with CDAF - PDAF, but was hoping the E-M5 could do a better job.

I always have to prefocus on a subject at aprox the same distance and then hoping the bird is still there...

I really hope there will be an improvement for this problem with GH3.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads