16mm + uwa sharper than sigma 10-20

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
mrnike
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
16mm + uwa sharper than sigma 10-20
Apr 30, 2012

Hello guys,

More than a month ago I ordered a sigma 10-20mm to use with my nex 5n. I used it for a month and I was not too happy with the sharpness in the corners. I sent it back and started to use my 16mm + uwa adapter and I must say quality is better than on sigma. Perhaps I had a bad copy of sigma but I'm not ordering another one for now.

I have a few shots I took yesterday here:

What do you think? I am happy with the corners

EWR72
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?
Re: 16mm + uwa sharper than sigma 10-20
In reply to mrnike, Apr 30, 2012

They look good to me. I´m thinking about getting the wide-angle adapter to go with the 16mm. I have the Sigma 10-20mm on my DSLR and it´s been okay but I bought the NEX to go ultra-light when travelling and I think the combination of the 16mm plus UWA looks very promising. If you have any more photos post them up as I´d be glad to see them:)

EWR72's gear list:EWR72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP1s Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 350D +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bill McClung
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,364
Like?

Beautiful HDR shots! Since I retired, I miss my frequent trips to the UK.

I have the Sony 16mm and the fisheye adapter. That combination does VERY well (see link below). But, I have heard so many great comments about the WA adapter, I guess I'm going to have to get one. The price certainly is right. Thanks for posting.

http://www.pbase.com/nc_bill/image/141579512

-- hide signature --

Bill McClung (a.k.a. 'NC BILL')
Image galleries at http://www.pbase.com/nc_bill

NEVER BE AFRAID TO TRY SOMETHING NEW.
REMEMBER, AMATEURS BUILT THE ARK.
PROFESSIONALS BUILT THE TITANIC!

mrnike
Like?
In reply to EWR72, Apr 30, 2012

as requested a few more exaples of 16mm + uwa adapter.

I've got others on my website http://www.69drops.com if you want to see more

thanks

EWR72
Regular MemberPosts: 298Gear list
Like?

Excellent. Thanks a lot for posting these. I´ll check out your link. It´s great to see some photos of Lonson again. I remember I bought my first digital camera back when I was living there. A Nikon coolpix 4300 for 200 pounds (half price sale). I even got a massive 256MB card that cost about 40 pounds back then! One of my favourite photos I took was a b&W of the Gherkin building. Once again thanks for the images.
Definately going to purchase the UWA converter lens.

EWR72's gear list:EWR72's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP1s Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 350D +3 more
Bruce Itschner
Forum MemberPosts: 76Gear list
Like?

Beautiful Photos. I also find the 16mm with the uwa to do an excellent job. Its a nice two lens setup for walking around.
--
Bruce Itschner

Bruce Itschner's gear list:Bruce Itschner's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 +5 more
Knallberto
Senior MemberPosts: 5,478
Like?
WHY

do you not show REGULAR photos for comparing?

Sharpening 10x make each photo sharp till last edge. Same with (unnatural) HDR.

geminihc
Forum MemberPosts: 92
Like?
Re: WHY
In reply to Knallberto, Apr 30, 2012

could you tell us what aperture you used? i also use the 16mm + UWA alot and i almost always get very soft blurry corners if f2.8 is used. i have to use f8 or above to get decent shots

Gomez Garcia Gonzalez
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?

Really cool images. I think the HDR works really well for those scenes. I too have this lens combo but haven't been able to get the corner sharpness you have here, any tips?!

Gomez Garcia Gonzalez's gear list:Gomez Garcia Gonzalez's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +2 more
PDavis
Regular MemberPosts: 441Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gomez Garcia Gonzalez, Apr 30, 2012

I just bought this combo - looking forward to using it on my 5N. Selling my Sigma 10-20 (and my a55 for that matter!)

I'm ok with corner softness at wide apertures...the way I use it wide open makes that a non-issue...the edges are not important in those cases.

When I'm doing landscapes, I always stop down to f/8 anyway for greater DOF. Crop a little if necessary.

You will find it hard to get anything on a crop body that wide that looks really good in the corners. Maybe the Tokina 11-16 or Sigma 8-16 I've heard. But for the price, size and weight, the 16mm does the job (from what I've seen...will know first hand soon!)

PDavis's gear list:PDavis's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +3 more
Smiert Spionam
Contributing MemberPosts: 530
Like?
In reply to PDavis, May 1, 2012

Corners on the 16, alone or with the adapter, are pretty wretched at f/2.8, and only really acceptable at f/8 (across most of the frame, f/5.6 is probably better, but f/8 has better corners). Still, it's not really notably worse than any but the very best of the wide zooms (the Sigma 8-16 and the Tokina 11-16 are probably the best), which aren't exactly stellar corner to corner, either. I find the 16 to be very usable, and the adapter has very little effect on overall quality.

These shots are meaningless for comparison, though. They're so heavily overcooked that they could be from anything. Glad you enjoy them, though.

Lng0004
Senior MemberPosts: 2,602
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, May 1, 2012

No it doesn't.

Knallberto wrote:

Sharpening 10x make each photo sharp till last edge.

verybiglebowski
Senior MemberPosts: 2,746Gear list
Like?
In reply to Knallberto, May 1, 2012

Knallberto wrote:

Sharpening 10x make each photo sharp till last edge.

Great news, I can sell all my lenses and keep the kit one. 10 x sharpening and no difference between Zeiss and Holga! Thanks for the tip.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/viktor_viktor/
http://verybiglobo.blogspot.com/

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 12,558Gear list
Like?
In reply to mrnike, May 1, 2012

mrnike wrote:

Hello guys,

More than a month ago I ordered a sigma 10-20mm to use with my nex 5n. I used it for a month and I was not too happy with the sharpness in the corners. I sent it back and started to use my 16mm + uwa adapter and I must say quality is better than on sigma. Perhaps I had a bad copy of sigma but I'm not ordering another one for now.

I have a few shots I took yesterday here:
What do you think? I am happy with the corners

Thank you for sharing your art work. They are nice shots with nice tone mapping. It is fairly excessive, but works well with these shots. Nice work!

However, I can't tell anything about the corners resized this small and the title of this post is misleading.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7 Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +7 more
Phil
Contributing MemberPosts: 697Gear list
Like?

Nice job on the photos. I have the 16mm also with the wide angle adapter. I have found it really pretty good for landcapes at f8. The extreme corners aren't the best with this lens but it really is just the very tips of the corners on my lens that are noticeably softer. Thanks for sharing, your website has some geat work there also.

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
mrnike
Like?
In reply to Phil, May 1, 2012

Thanks to everybody that liked my image.

I'd like to point out that sharpening was done in Lightroom and was not excessive. I always set it to 20 which is not much at all.

I'm sorry if the title was misleading but i just wanted to talk about my experience regarding the sharpness of the lens i had (sigma 10-20) comoared to the e mount wide angle.

Perhaps i should be posting 100% crops as these images are a bit small to actually discuss about corners. Will do this once back home.

Thanks

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 20,211Gear list
Like?

If you could, maybe pull some samples out without any tone-mapping or HDR applied.

BTW - don't take some comments above to be criticism of your artistic work - the HDR/tone mapped look can be done very well, and some of your scenes above work extremely well with that technique of post processing. The reason some are asking for non-processed samples is because it allows one to actually review the lens' performance without any other influence. As soon as tone-mapping is applied, the contrast of the edges has been adjusted, the colors adjusted, the sharpness has altered, details become more bold, etc - and it becomes very difficult to assess the lens' actual performance.

So just for the sake of your original title, and those who really want to see what the 16mm lens and UWA converter are capable of, some 100% crops or even some resized originals would be very useful.

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +22 more
mrnike
Like?
In reply to zackiedawg, May 1, 2012

Thank you Justin. I understand now...

I will post the originals (before tonemapping) later today.

mrnike
Like?
In reply to geminihc, May 1, 2012

geminihc wrote:

could you tell us what aperture you used? i also use the 16mm + UWA alot and i almost always get very soft blurry corners if f2.8 is used. i have to use f8 or above to get decent shots

I used f8 and a tripod
I dont usually use f2.8 for this type of photos.

I will try to find something i used f2.8 and post it here

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads