F770EXR ... stunning reach ... this blew my mind ...

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
KimberlyC
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,082Gear list
Like?
Re: the HS25 today ...
In reply to alexisgreat, May 3, 2012

i had been reading reviews on another sales site and the reviews were kind of low. Some will love something that others dislike. I am sure it is a capable camera.
--
-

KimberlyC's gear list:KimberlyC's gear list
Samsung EX2F Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D70s Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL3 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Silent Oracle
Senior MemberPosts: 2,913
Like?
Re: Struck a nerve...
In reply to Billx08, May 3, 2012

Billx08 wrote:

But not from me, unfortunately. I've got an arm-long list of PMs to reply to that have been languishing on the back burner for quite some time. I even got one particularly vile PM from BM (quite appropriate initials, eh?) bragging about how DPReview won't be able to keep him from returning.

LOL! He probably feels ten pounds lighter after the load he dumped today, poor guy.

I wonder what DPR is going to do if people like BS Jimbo and Photog Conrad keep returning with new screen names and attacking people? I think they have a limit; this is a business so to speak - and what they are doing is damaging to Amazon. And both of them keep promising to return with new screen names and keep up the attacks.

I would not want to be either of them once Simon reaches a full boil....that's for certain....

DC Alford
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,113Gear list
Like?
Re: Jada...
In reply to Silent Oracle, May 3, 2012

Jada wrote:

Dan, just look at this. Now you're attacking Tom. This goes into a loop of attacks - one after another.

No need for histrionics, just because I'm not coddling Tom doesn't mean I am attacking him(that goes for Kim as well btw).

We have a disturbed individual posting lists now of people he believes hate Kim in another thread. This is total madness. And if the poster is who he claims to be, then he is going to trot off to his blog and do some more character defamation.

Woe is me...to be hones Kim does a sufficient job "defaming" his own character right here at the FTF so I wouldn't worry about this lunatic doing harm to your friend via a blog attack. See how silly that sounds? Histrionics.

I'm saying - that everyone needs to quit attacking. NOW. Just stop.

If by quit attacking you really mean begin kissing all your friends' butts then...no.

I really found myself enjoying your B/W thread. But right now....this is miserable; whether you like someone or not - what does that have to do with photography? I sincerely wish that if you truly have an issue with Kim, Tom - and whoever else that you'd talk with them privately, and that goes for others here too.

I don't have a personal issue with Kim, he had a personal issue with me calling him out on being a blog salesman so he attacked me, I didn't coddle him for it & you got offended & here we are.

As for Tom you brought him up I didn't. I have no problem with Tom personally but I'm not going to smile sheepishly while I get my nose rubbed in it by you reiterating the hostile words Tom said to me in a post I graciously ignored.

This is a photography forum and this type of behavior is so disruptive. The moderators seriously need to step in at this point.

Disruptive to what? Kims EBITDA?

Dan.

DC Alford's gear list:DC Alford's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD950 IS Nikon Coolpix P3 +1 more
KimberlyC
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,082Gear list
Like?
Saturday night
In reply to Kim Letkeman, May 4, 2012

Is I believe the largest full moon of the year.
--
-

KimberlyC's gear list:KimberlyC's gear list
Samsung EX2F Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D70s Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL3 +2 more
The Eraser
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
Re: Struck a nerve...
In reply to Silent Oracle, May 4, 2012

Silent Oracle wrote:

Billx08 wrote:

But not from me, unfortunately. I've got an arm-long list of PMs to reply to that have been languishing on the back burner for quite some time. I even got one particularly vile PM from BM (quite appropriate initials, eh?) bragging about how DPReview won't be able to keep him from returning.

LOL! He probably feels ten pounds lighter after the load he dumped today, poor guy.

I wonder what DPR is going to do if people like BS Jimbo and Photog Conrad keep returning with new screen names and attacking people? I think they have a limit; this is a business so to speak - and what they are doing is damaging to Amazon. And both of them keep promising to return with new screen names and keep up the attacks.

I would not want to be either of them once Simon reaches a full boil....that's for certain....

Hi,

Please forgive me, but what exactly does all that have to do with Kim's photo of Saturn? Isn't this a photography website where we share photos and knowledge?

Who are the moderators here to control this stuff. Come on folks, lets talk photography please. Lots of good information to share here.

-- hide signature --

The Eraser

The Eraser
Like?
Re: So ... I just got the HS25 today ...

Can't wait to see what you can do with this camera Kim. BTW, do you shoot handheld, or do you use a special tripod?

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Unfortunately, it was not the HS30, so I will have to make do with JPEG.

Here's the little sucker beside the big dog ... captured in a fairly dark room with the F550 at 3200 ISO ...

-- hide signature --

The Eraser

Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,319Gear list
Like?
In reply to The Eraser, May 4, 2012

The Eraser wrote:

Can't wait to see what you can do with this camera Kim. BTW, do you shoot handheld, or do you use a special tripod?

I may try it both ways. We'll see ... but I often use an old cheap tripod and release with self timer. Seems to do the job.

I do have a much stronger tripod, which I need for the higher weight of the D7000 and 70-300VR, plus of course to resist the mirror. Of course, I prefer infrared release in mirror up mode these for that, but the better tripod still helps.

I have a hand held moon shot from the D7000 kit, and I quite like it. I'll give that a shot for sure as soon as the sun comes out for the weekend ...

Here's a moon shot from the F550 hand held ... not great, but not awful.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,348Gear list
Like?
Re: Perfect opportunity

To test full optical zoom vs 1.4x intelligent digital zoom vs 2.0x intelligent zoom.

You can use the best upsizing algorithm you have to see if you can get the full optical zoom image to match the detail of the other two, or test 15x optical +2 digital zoom vs 30x optical zoom or 22xoptical +1.4x digital zoom.
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Olympus E-520
The Eraser
Like?

Kim Letkeman wrote:

The Eraser wrote:

I may try it both ways. We'll see ... but I often use an old cheap tripod and release with self timer. Seems to do the job.

I do have a much stronger tripod, which I need for the higher weight of the D7000 and 70-300VR, plus of course to resist the mirror. Of course, I prefer infrared release in mirror up mode these for that, but the better tripod still helps.

I have a hand held moon shot from the D7000 kit, and I quite like it. I'll give that a shot for sure as soon as the sun comes out for the weekend ...

I do like this photo a lot. Did you do any post on it?

Here's a moon shot from the F550 hand held ... not great, but not awful.

Clearly tell the difference, but for a p&s, still not bad.

Have you ever tried capturing the space station with your locater app? Or does it even show the location of the Space Station?

-- hide signature --

The Eraser

Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to The Eraser, May 4, 2012

The Eraser wrote:

Have you ever tried capturing the space station with your locater app? Or does it even show the location of the Space Station?

That requires a lot of hardware ... but I did manage to capture the ISS as a smudge as it blew through a very small slice of the sky in about 30 seconds one night.

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2011/06/d7000-captures-iss-hand-held.html

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to alexisgreat, May 4, 2012

alexisgreat wrote:

To test full optical zoom vs 1.4x intelligent digital zoom vs 2.0x intelligent zoom.

You can use the best upsizing algorithm you have to see if you can get the full optical zoom image to match the detail of the other two, or test 15x optical +2 digital zoom vs 30x optical zoom or 22xoptical +1.4x digital zoom.

I don't think I'd check it that way. Basically shoot twice. One at full optical, and one at full smart digital. Then upsize in CS6 to see if I could beat the camera's result.

An amusing test and one I will try.

alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,348Gear list
Like?

Thanks, Kim! Bill seems convinced that the new Fuji algorithms will be hard to beat so we shall see. I think it would have been better to do it with upsizing RAW converted to TIFF, but that will have to wait for the HS30.
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Olympus E-520
HZP
HZP
Contributing MemberPosts: 752
Like?

Kim, can you post your 770 moonshot so we can see the difference between the 550 and 770?
Thanks.

patchotoole
Regular MemberPosts: 479
Like?
One question about the Fxxx series

Why in the name of god do fuji not put an infinity focus on them? It would make life so much easier.

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
Re: One question about the Fxxx series
In reply to patchotoole, May 4, 2012

patchotoole wrote:

Why in the name of god do fuji not put an infinity focus on them? It would make life so much easier.

Fuji camera with manual zoom has manual focus that you can set to infinity. You can even see the object kinda magnified while setting the focus manually.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to HZP, May 4, 2012

HZP wrote:

Kim, can you post your 770 moonshot so we can see the difference between the 550 and 770?

550 hand held

550 through 10x60 Oberwerks binoculars

770 tripod

Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to patchotoole, May 4, 2012

patchotoole wrote:

Just another in a long line of brain farts. I find that they have addressed many shortcomings in the handling of the F700 ... perhaps it just takes us asking to get this one addressed.

Perhaps they think fireworks mode is enough ...

Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, May 4, 2012

jcmarfilph wrote:

Fuji camera with manual zoom has manual focus that you can set to infinity. You can even see the object kinda magnified while setting the focus manually.

I'm pretty sure that he knows that "manual" means that we have full control. The question is only interesting when discussing the compact electronic zooms.

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?

Kim Letkeman wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

I'm pretty sure that he knows that "manual" means that we have full control. The question is only interesting when discussing the compact electronic zooms.

Though Fuji' implementation of MF ring is kinda PITA to use it is still an effective feature IMHO.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to jcmarfilph, May 4, 2012

jcmarfilph wrote:

Kim Letkeman wrote:

jcmarfilph wrote:

Though Fuji' implementation of MF ring is kinda PITA to use it is still an effective feature IMHO.

And to reiterate, the topic is the lack of an infinity setting on compacts with fully electronic zooms. Try to stay in point.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads