F770EXR ... stunning reach ... this blew my mind ...

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 32,319Gear list
Like?
F770EXR ... stunning reach ... this blew my mind ...
Apr 30, 2012
 Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,723Gear list
Like?
Re: F770EXR ... stunning reach ... this blew my mind ...
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Apr 30, 2012

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Full story ...

Fantastic shot and PP of Saturn. That is humbling stuff from a little pocket camera.

One thing that struck me whilst I was struggling mightily to get focus on birds in the Cape is that all these little cameras should have an infinity setting so that the camera defaults to infinity and when its half pressed, it just sets the exposure. That would be a lifesaver.

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2012/04/f770exr-review-part-14-astrophotography.html

-- hide signature --

S100 (MIA), S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11 (Retired), F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
painterdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,785Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wellington100, Apr 30, 2012

F770 jpeg from back yard.

Did you process a RAW for the Saturn shot ??
g
--
http://skylightvistas.weebly.com/index.html

painterdude's gear list:painterdude's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D90 Nikon D800E
DC Alford
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,113Gear list
Like?

You forgot this part: "...and after you read the "full story" be sure to clink on one of the retail links from my blog to buy your very own F770...."

Isn't that about right Kim?

Dan.

DC Alford's gear list:DC Alford's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD950 IS Nikon Coolpix P3 +1 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to painterdude, Apr 30, 2012

painterdude wrote:

F770 jpeg from back yard.

It's a nice shot ... I noticed it as soon as you posted it. But JPEG smears too much surface texture for my taste.

Did you process a RAW for the Saturn shot ??

Both my moon and Saturn images are processed from RAF using my trick:

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2012/04/automated-raf-exif-hack-for-those-who.html

LR4.1 RC2 actually has native support for the F770EXR, but I am having trouble getting LR4 to pass images to CS6 beta for further processing ...

The moon needed more processing that Saturn, as the terminator is too abrupt and to bring some of that back also brought a lot of noise in the sky. I needed Topaz Denoise 5 to clean the sky and had to mask it away on the moon to retain the texture and craters.

Anyway ... this camera really has some chops.

Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?
In reply to DC Alford, Apr 30, 2012

DC Alford wrote:

You forgot this part: "...and after you read the "full story" be sure to clink on one of the retail links from my blog to buy your very own F770...."

Trust you to throw an off topic insult into a thread designed to show what a Fuji camera can actually do, unlike so many recent negative threads in which you do support the OP.

The lunatic fringe is on a quest to crush our souls with mediocrity, all the while insulting us all for not following some made up and rather fluid behavioral rules and of course constantly dredging up the ancient past in order to support their paranoid fantasies ... this you seem ok with, given that you support them all the time.

But you can't just look at a really cool image and say "that's really cool" ...

KimberlyC
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,082Gear list
Like?

Kwap...that is amazing! I may just get one sooner than later!

Thanks for the celestial show.
--
-

KimberlyC's gear list:KimberlyC's gear list
Samsung EX2F Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D70s Nikon D7000 Olympus PEN E-PL3 +2 more
Billx08
Forum ProPosts: 11,373
Like?
***** Conrad Lives *****
In reply to DC Alford, Apr 30, 2012

DC Alford wrote:

You have been assimilated. Resistance is futile.

The Eraser
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?

Hi,

Here is one I took with my Fuji F500exr. Honestly, I was not real impressed with it, that is why I am wanting more reach (zoom). I have included actual size photo for you to view.

Yours appears pretty similar to mine with a tad bit more focus, but it is so hard to capture Saturn with these pocket camera's.

Thanks for sharing the image, but I think we both can do better with more zoom.

TE

Kim Letkeman wrote:

Full story ...

http://kimletkeman.blogspot.ca/2012/04/f770exr-review-part-14-astrophotography.html

-- hide signature --

The Eraser

DC Alford
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,113Gear list
Like?
Stunning reach indeed...

Kim wrote:

Trust you to throw an off topic insult into a thread designed to show what a Fuji camera can actually do, unlike so many recent negative threads in which you do support the OP.

I'm not buying it(literally), the truth is your thread was designed as a teaser to draw curious people to your blog & it's retail links, more so than it was to "show what a Fuji camera can actually do...".
I have no problem with that as long as you are up front about your intentions.
Why does it bother you so much for me to state the obvious?

The lunatic fringe is on a quest to crush our souls with mediocrity, all the while insulting us all for not following some made up and rather fluid behavioral rules and of course constantly dredging up the ancient past in order to support their paranoid fantasies ... this you seem ok with, given that you support them all the time.

This is a ragged script thrown together as an attempted diversion, lurking behind a semi-humorous facade with the only intention being damage control.

But you can't just look at a really cool image and say "that's really cool" ...

It is a very cool image, I was just afraid I'd get my pockets picked if I stuck around long enough to say it.

"stunning reach..." Exactly!

Dan.

DC Alford's gear list:DC Alford's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD950 IS Nikon Coolpix P3 +1 more
Kim Letkeman
Like?
Re: Stunning reach indeed...
In reply to DC Alford, May 1, 2012

DC Alford wrote:

I'm not buying it(literally), the truth is your thread was designed as a teaser to draw curious people to your blog & it's retail links, more so than it was to "show what a Fuji camera can actually do...".

Grow up Dan. You've been tiresome for months ... your latest Conrad-induced frenzy is just more of your trolling crap.

I have no problem with that as long as you are up front about your intentions.
Why does it bother you so much for me to state the obvious?

Maybe because you are the puerile exit point of an alimentary canal.

This is a ragged script thrown together as an attempted diversion, lurking behind a semi-humorous facade with the only intention being damage control.

Yawn. You are a child who seems to be staggeringly envious of people who can write something cogent and who do not spend their time tearing others down. I critique technical issues on a technical forum. You whine, bitch and moan like a little child about things that are beyond your own abilities.

It is a very cool image, I was just afraid I'd get my pockets picked if I stuck around long enough to say it.
"stunning reach..." Exactly!

Again, try acting like an adult. You don't have to click on anything you see. You can look at the images, read the stories, and then pout all day long at your inability to either shoot or write. Waaaa waaaa waaaa .... good one, Dan.

alexisgreat
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,348Gear list
Like?
Re: yet another reason to always buy a camera that has RAW mode
In reply to Kim Letkeman, May 1, 2012

I was about to ask you about using RAW over Jpeg for astro, Kim. Any ideas on how to get rid of the blurriness? Use a tripod maybe?
--
http://Alex_the_GREAT.photoshop.com

alexisgreat's gear list:alexisgreat's gear list
Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Olympus E-520
Billx08
Like?
In reply to alexisgreat, May 1, 2012

alexisgreat wrote:

I was about to ask you about using RAW over Jpeg for astro, Kim. Any ideas on how to get rid of the blurriness? Use a tripod maybe?

Nah, that won't help deal with atmospherics. Follow the ancient wisdom. Get closer. Zoom with your feet.

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?
In reply to Billx08, May 1, 2012

Billx08 wrote:

alexisgreat wrote:

Nah, that won't help deal with atmospherics. Follow the ancient wisdom. Get closer. Zoom with your feet.

You would only need to "zoom with your feet" if your feet are shaky right Bill?

-- hide signature --

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,723Gear list
Like?

Billx08 wrote:

alexisgreat wrote:

Would jumping help?

-- hide signature --

S100 (MIA), S6500, S5, F300, F200, F70, F11 (Retired), F31 (deceased), Z5, V10, D40, EX1

happy snapper uk
Contributing MemberPosts: 563Gear list
Like?
In reply to The Eraser, May 1, 2012

In my opinion these shots are not a very good advert for any camera

happy snapper uk's gear list:happy snapper uk's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Fujifilm X10 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +3 more
Billx08
Like?
In reply to Wellington100, May 1, 2012

Wellington100 wrote:

Billx08 wrote:

alexisgreat wrote:

Would jumping help?

That should get you close enough with a P510 and most of the way with Fuji's bridge cameras, but for assured success, you'd want to do a hop, skip and a jump.

Stephen 06
Senior MemberPosts: 1,569
Like?
Re: Stunning reach indeed...
In reply to DC Alford, May 1, 2012

DC Alford wrote:

I'm not buying it(literally), the truth is your thread was designed as a teaser to draw curious people to your blog & it's retail links, more so than it was to "show what a Fuji camera can actually do..."/

Kim wrote:

Sorry, but one can't help Dan for thinking the way he has. It was far from insulting. Actually, I admire the way that he has expressed his views with pure brash honesty. It was quite liberating actually....more so than I can say about you in your response.

• Why can't you give a proper honest response, rather than go off in a rant with some fancy words and attack the messenger?

• What plausible excuse have you for you that you can't start and give us the "whole story" on the thread here?? It would have taken you 2 seconds to copy and paste "the full story" here from your blog.

• As a test, I copied and pasted your "full story" into the response here to see what it would look like for me to read, and it fine to me for the forum members to read it all here.

• So basically, I see no excuse not to have this thread started and finished here. It's plain obvious that once again you have used DPR as a launch pad to promote and to get traffic to your blog for whatever reasons. Dan gave one of them.

BTW...I deleted it again in case you hammmered me over copyright issues.

-- hide signature --

Stephen

Kim Letkeman
Like?

Billx08 wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

Billx08 wrote:

alexisgreat wrote:

Would jumping help?

That should get you close enough with a P510 and most of the way with Fuji's bridge cameras, but for assured success, you'd want to do a hop, skip and a jump.

Little known fact: Ancient Greeks invented the Olympic high jump and then the pole vault while trying to photograph Saturn with a Fuji compact. They too felt that the lens was just a bit short for the task.

Kim Letkeman
Like?
blurriness
In reply to alexisgreat, May 1, 2012

alexisgreat wrote:

You must have missed the point where I said that this is much greater than a 100% view. I stair stepped it considerably to make visible what was a spec on the original image. What remains amazing is how well those few pixels render as an obvious planet with rings. A high level of pixel integrity for a 1/2" sensor.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads