After all, the OM-D sensor is Panasonic and ..

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,466Gear list
Like?
After all, the OM-D sensor is Panasonic and ..
Apr 30, 2012
  • After all, my logical opinion (and some others) was right the OM-D sensor is Panasonic (same as on G3)

Dpreview text:

" The camera is built around a 16MP Four Thirds sensor, which all out testing suggests may well be the same one seen in Panasonic's DMC-G3 . This can only be seen as a welcome step forward, as it's a much newer and more capable sensor. The sensor is combined with the company's latest, TruePic VI processor, which appears to bring the usual Olympus magic to the JPEGs. The company claims improved dynamic range and, with an newer sensor and better processing, it's reasonable to expect better performance in terms of noise. And, since dynamic range is the range between highlights and a specified noise level, this would be considered a boost in dynamic range."

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: After all, the OM-D sensor is Panasonic and ..
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 30, 2012
-- hide signature --

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
-- hide signature --

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Opss, sorry no edit ... And a Gold 80%
  • Sorry for the other empty posts, click on the Enter instead of the back, and also no edit, but what I want to say is I was glad to see the 80% and Gold on a Micro 4/3 camera

• Well done Olympus

-- hide signature --

Photo Grapher
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Re: After all you were right Aleo

After all you were right Aleo

If Olympus made sensors, I don't mind to have a Panasonic with an Olympus sensor, and the contrary that is Olympus with Panasonic sensor should be no problem to the Olympus users assume this (talking about the many posts about the OMD sensor)

The important is the image quality

-- hide signature --

Perfection is achieved, not when you have nothing more to add, but when you have nothing more to take away

The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the greatest intention

Photo Grapher's gear list:Photo Grapher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
Anfy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,381
Like?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=41192514

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

• Sorry for the other empty posts, click on the Enter instead of the back, and also no edit...

-- hide signature --

Viva la evoluciĆ³n!

Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

• After all, my logical opinion (and some others) was right the OM-D sensor is Panasonic (same as on G3)

Dpreview text:

" The camera is built around a 16MP Four Thirds sensor, which all out testing suggests may well be the same one seen in Panasonic's DMC-G3 . This can only be seen as a welcome step forward, as it's a much newer and more capable sensor. The sensor is combined with the company's latest, TruePic VI processor, which appears to bring the usual Olympus magic to the JPEGs. The company claims improved dynamic range and, with an newer sensor and better processing, it's reasonable to expect better performance in terms of noise. And, since dynamic range is the range between highlights and a specified noise level, this would be considered a boost in dynamic range."

Richard is probably just guessing, like the rest of us. The E-M5 sensor can very well be based upon the G3 sensor, but especially the base ISO (raw) DR seems to have been improved quite a bit.

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to Steen Bay, Apr 30, 2012

Steen Bay wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

Dpreview text:

Richard is probably just guessing, like the rest of us. The E-M5 sensor can very well be based upon the G3 sensor, but especially the base ISO (raw) DR seems to have been improved quite a bit.

Yes they have done a good job, but I think Dpreview is not guessing, they just can not say It is a Panasonic sensor, maybe they are not allowed

-- hide signature --

acahaya
Contributing MemberPosts: 996
Like?

Dpreview text:

"The camera is built around a 16MP Four Thirds sensor, which all out testing suggests may well be the same one seen in Panasonic's DMC-G3*. "

Aleo,
this is the same old text as in the preview, nothing new here.

Presonally i couldn't care less who designed and who builds the sensor ... as long as i like its performance, which i do.

But "suggests may well be" has a slightly different meaning than "we know that it is" and i'm sorry to say that it proves nothing, we are all still guessing.

-- hide signature --
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to acahaya, Apr 30, 2012

acahaya wrote:

Dpreview text:

"The camera is built around a 16MP Four Thirds sensor, which all out testing suggests may well be the same one seen in Panasonic's DMC-G3*. "

Aleo,
this is the same old text as in the preview, nothing new here.

Presonally i couldn't care less who designed and who builds the sensor ... as long as i like its performance, which i do.

But "suggests may well be" has a slightly different meaning than "we know that it is" and i'm sorry to say that it proves nothing, we are all still guessing.

Yes they have not made a real statement that it is ... I like the performance also, but with so much conversation about it, I am on the mission to discover it

If it is Panasonic like I think, only show the good job Olympus have done

-- hide signature --

krishtr
Regular MemberPosts: 174
Like?

Regarding the sensor, I would still wait for DXO numbers. If its indeed the G3, the numbers should be exactly similar. The RAW output from EM-5 seems to be much ahead of G3 and hence my reservations. I did not see any specific tests on the DPR review page that concurs with this assertion.
--
Krishnan
E510, 11-22, 50mm, 14-42, 40-150
EP2, VF2, 14-42, 45/1.8, 20/1.7
Pre-ordered EM-5
Considering PL 25/1.4

Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,404Gear list
Like?

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

• Sorry for the other empty posts,

Well, you're up to 411 so far this week! (sorry, couldn't resist ;))

All the best

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
In reply to krishtr, Apr 30, 2012

krishtr wrote:

Regarding the sensor, I would still wait for DXO numbers. If its indeed the G3, the numbers should be exactly similar. The RAW output from EM-5 seems to be much ahead of G3 and hence my reservations. I did not see any specific tests on the DPR review page that concurs with this assertion.

DXO is better for this, true ... but the RAW output can be better due to the processing engine. but I am not a guru on this ...

Anyway it is good to see they have done a good job on the image quality

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,715Gear list
Like?
I don't buy it.

After the dcraw analysis, this can't be a G3 sensor.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,715Gear list
Like?

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

krishtr wrote:

DXO is better for this, true ... but the RAW output can be better due to the processing engine. but I am not a guru on this ...

Yes, but as pointed out the difference can't be huge. You can't extract over 1 full stop DR just by cooking the same data the other camera gets.

Anyway it is good to see they have done a good job on the image quality

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- "You are taking life too seriously if it bugs you in some way that a guy quotes himself in the .sig quote" - Ricardo

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: I don't buy it.
In reply to Raist3d, Apr 30, 2012

Raist3d wrote:

After the dcraw analysis, this can't be a G3 sensor.

-- hide signature --

What makes you say that ? Can not the good processing engine be responsible for the different results ? I think it is that, but let's continue the mission

BTW, your name, Ricardo, is a Portuguese, Italian or Brazilian right ?

-- hide signature --

Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: As usual with humor :) but I explain Brian
In reply to Brian Mosley, Apr 30, 2012

Brian Mosley wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

• Sorry for the other empty posts,

Well, you're up to 411 so far this week! (sorry, couldn't resist ;))

All the best

Brian

True Brian, but I don't care much about that, I think yesterday was 450 ... I am working at home now on remote assistance and some other things, I have time to have an eye here and there

I really like to communicate here on this forum, and see all that is said and enjoy much to see and comment images, it is much better than facebook and other places, at least to me

But soon, I hope I have to do some professional photography for a catalog, and then I will be not here so much and the number is going to decrease, for a good reason, I need really to do more photography than working on computers

The errors here on posting, were in fact due to error on hitting the enter, and my cat is responsible also, he was here and passed trough the keyboard, and there is still no Edit ...

-- hide signature --

stimmer
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,137
Like?
Nope, it's not..

They said that in their preview a long time ago.

Even if it was (and it's not), Olympus changed so many things that it's performing entirely differently. Then you throw in the image processor on top of that.

But Ricardo is right. Even with the improved electronics surrounding the sensor, image processor, there's no way to get that much dynamic range improvement.

Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,191Gear list
Like?
So, you're guessing...

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

..., but I think Dpreview is not guessing, ...

... that Dpreview is not guessing... what a lot of guesses

Just kidding

You may be right, but you may be wrong! Only Olympus and Panasonic know who make the OM-D sensor, and maybe another manufacturer knows too

-- hide signature --
Aleo Veuliah
Like?
Re: Nope, it's not..
In reply to stimmer, Apr 30, 2012

stimmer wrote:

They said that in their preview a long time ago.

Even if it was (and it's not), Olympus changed so many things that it's performing entirely differently. Then you throw in the image processor on top of that.

But Ricardo is right. Even with the improved electronics surrounding the sensor, image processor, there's no way to get that much dynamic range improvement.

Maybe ... but

"The sensor is combined with the company's latest, TruePic VI processor, which appears to bring the usual Olympus magic to the JPEGs. The company claims improved dynamic range and, with an newer sensor and better processing, it's reasonable to expect better performance in terms of noise. And, since dynamic range is the range between highlights and a specified noise level, this would be considered a boost in dynamic range."

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads