Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,749Gear list
Like?
Re: Remember... its a kit lens, not an upgrade lens
In reply to mfbernstein, Apr 30, 2012

mfbernstein wrote:

texinwien wrote:

The 'Movie Kit' w/ 12-50mm lens is, I think, aimed at the amateur who finds video capabilities important. It's a reasonable walkaround lens with, perhaps, somewhat gimmicky movie-related features (plus weatherproofing).

Maybe, but anybody seriously interested in movies would still go with a GH2, even with all the E-M5's other features. The GH2 simply has a better implementation, and the GH2 hack makes it's the most versatile video shooter this side of $10k.

I definitely fall into the serious still photographer, but amateur video shooter category. I often forget that my Panasonic GF1 can even shoot video, but I try to make videos of my toddler every now and then. With the GF1 I use a tripod and manual focus to get video that certainly won't wow anyone but is perfectly nice for home movies of the kids. The problem is that it's difficult to follow a toddler around with a tripod, so I need a camera like the EM-5 that can give me more of a steadycam effect when shooting handheld video.

For still photography I'd probably be better off keeping the Panasonic 14-45mm kit lens, but for video the 12-50's power zoom would be nice. For carrying around, maybe the Panasonic 14-42mm X pancake lens with powerzoom would be what I need.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Just Having Fun
Senior MemberPosts: 3,869
Like?
Re: IBIS and continuous shooting
In reply to rrr_hhh, Apr 30, 2012

rrr_hhh wrote:

It is current practice to shoot with burst when you fear camera shake...

With the E-M5 you use "anti-shock". It delays the shot a little until after the shutter is pressed. You can define how long the wait is too.

I like that idea more that fast continuous shooting.

TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,193
Like?

You have it exactly correct. I don't want to do long bursts but in tricky situations I do take a couple of consecutive shots. It would be good to know if this is a good idea or bad idea on the camera.

rrr_hhh wrote:
I think that s not what bother Terry, but that part of the review :

However, we found that the IS performance was considerably poorer when used with continuous shooting, so don't expect it to be there to hold your hand in low-light situations.

It is current practice to shoot with burst when you fear camera shake : the blurr is more likely to appear than on the first shot and shooting several frames increases the probability to get at least a good one.

This part of the review surprised me too. It seems to indicate that when shooting in burst mode at 4 fps or even 3.5 fps, the IBIS is less effective than in single shot mode

Louis_Dobson wrote:

On the 4fps setting you can switch IBIS on or off. The default is switched off. Even more confusing you switch a setting to "off" to switch it "on". Japanese double negatives strike again!

TEBnewyork wrote:

A little bit perplexed about IBIS and continuous shooting not being effective.

I typically set my camera on continuous to have burst available if I need it. If I set the Oly to continuous but I'm regularly only shooting one, two or three frames is the IBIS working like in single shot or much less effective?

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

-- hide signature --
TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,193
Like?
In reply to Just Having Fun, Apr 30, 2012

That is exactly what I don't want to do. I don't want a delayed shutter. I want just a couple of shots. Even worse is a delayed shutter between each shot.

Just Having Fun wrote:

rrr_hhh wrote:

It is current practice to shoot with burst when you fear camera shake...

With the E-M5 you use "anti-shock". It delays the shot a little until after the shutter is pressed. You can define how long the wait is too.

I like that idea more that fast continuous shooting.

-- hide signature --
micksh6
Senior MemberPosts: 2,550Gear list
Like?
C-AF and vivid colors
In reply to Richard Butler, Apr 30, 2012

It was reported that continuous autofocus reliability improves if vivid colors are selected. And setting highest contrast, sharpness and saturation probably helps too. That is for C-AF without tracking.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41259401
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41294319
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41311462

I suppose this happens because JPEG settings are used on image that AF algorithm works on.
Richard, do you think you could test that?

Thanks for review.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,858Gear list
Like?
Thanks Team

Looks really good for the future of micro. Not so much for 4/3rds, but I'll still hope that they are developing technologies in Micro that will filter up to a 4/3rds mount camera.

Oh, and come on 150!

Cheers,
Seth
--
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

-- hide signature --

wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
Just Having Fun
Like?
Huh?????
In reply to TEBnewyork, Apr 30, 2012

TEBnewyork wrote:

That is exactly what I don't want to do. I don't want a delayed shutter.

The delay is 1/8th of a sec. You continuous shooting with create shots with a LONGER delay.

Anyway, you coudl do 3 fps and still get a couple off in 1 second.

dneilson2
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Re: Dpreview's E-M5 Review

Mr. Butler....THank you so much for this information. I pre-ordered E-5 wondering if I was making a mistake. The NEX-7 was VERY tempting. Mr. Butler, I so appreciate your skills and information. Well done! THANK YOU!

Just Having Fun
Like?
Wow, DPR issues
In reply to Just Having Fun, Apr 30, 2012

DPR won't let me fix my post, oh well.

I prefer the anti-shock. Others may not. The good news is the E-M5 has IBIS unlike the NEX (they do have the 50mm F/1.8 with OSS) and the Panasonics.

sean000
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,749Gear list
Like?
Re: 4 new things I learned in review

rrr_hhh wrote:

sean000 wrote:

assaft wrote:

So I guess that the formula for selecting the minimum shutter speed before raising the ISO is: min{1/35eq_focal_length,slow_limit_value}

This is a tad disappointing. The only time I typically use Auto ISO is when I am photographing my moving toddler. It doesn't help me if the camera selects a shutter speed that is too slow to stop action. That's generally okay since I can just use Manual mode to to specify both aperture and shutter speed... letting the camera select the ISO, but then you lose the ability to dial in exposure compensation. It's better than my Panasonic GF1, which doesn't allow use of Auto ISO in M mode. Auto ISO is a completely useless feature to me on that camera.

How hard is it to let photographers select the shutter speed threshold for AutoISO? My six year old Nikon D200 allows me to do that. It's a simple programming issue. Just because I want the camera to automatically select the ISO sometimes, doesn't mean I want it to select the shutter speed as well.

You need to read the review attentively. You can set the limit you want for auto ISO and in manual mode too. There is only one restriction : when using a wide angle lens it won't allow you to set that limit under the slow synch speed you have set. Usual slow synch speed is 1/60, but if you want to be able to go lower, you can change it. I don't see where your problem is ? If you want to freeze movement, the minimal Shutterspeed of 1/60s will be your friend.

1/60s is too slow to freeze fast movement. It will freeze slow movement, but not fast. At least not without flash...but I'm talking about shooting without flash. This is why it is nice to have control over that minimum shutter speed: You can choose 1/60s for subjects that aren't moving quickly, and kick it up to 1/120s for subjects that are moving faster. If you're outdoors shooting really fast subjects, you might want to use 1/500s. Fortunately you can just use Auto ISO in manual mode to set the shutter speed and aperture you want, but you don't get exposure compensation.

If you want 1/30 change the slow synch limit and you'll be able to go that low or may be even down to 1/15 (but movement then won't be frozen. If you want T least 1/120, you can set the low ISO to that limit as well.

At least it is what I understand when reading the DPreview review and taking the two previous posts in account.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

I'm confused... why does the flash sync speed matter if you aren't using flash? I guess this is why I am frustrated by both Panasonic and Olympus when it comes to AutoISO. I've been shooting with Nikon DSLRs since 2004 and AutoISO is so dead simple on them: AutoISO is available in any mode and you can set the maximum threshold as well as the minimum shutter speed.

Maybe I am misunderstanding this discussion, so I will re-read the review and the part of the manual that deals with AutoISO.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +13 more
Richard Butler
dpreview AdminPosts: 1,964
Like?
Re: Dpreview's E-M5 Review

rrr_hhh wrote:

Another thing I'm missing is the resolution charts and measures in lph, I have seen the crops in the 13. raw section, but it is not as complete as what you used to offer. Will there be an update or is the review already definitively completed ?

Since my aging 5d is not available for scene comparisons, these are among the only way to compare both cameras (or other older camera models).

It would seem I've completely failed to upload the resolution page. That's embarrassing.

It should now be there (you may need to refresh your cache if the pull-down menu gets confused).

Richard - dpreview.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads