understanding exposure on d7000

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
crs-collectibles
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?
understanding exposure on d7000
Apr 30, 2012

I am using a d7000 with the 70-300 vr lens. I had the exposure set to matrix, af-c 9 point. It seems like when the subject is near the exposure seems ok, but when the subject is far away it seems the exposure is over-exposed. Should I be using different exposure setting for different distance?

Thanks.

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Nightwings
Forum ProPosts: 10,352
Like?
Here you go
In reply to crs-collectibles, Apr 30, 2012

No so much exposure as atmospheric conditions ... easily corrected with one click in CaptureNX2 ... or Photoshop

-- hide signature --

Nikon AF - One Shot ..... One Kill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PrasadIndi
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Re: Here you go
In reply to Nightwings, Apr 30, 2012

Cool... could you explain how can this be done in LR3?

Nightwings wrote:

No so much exposure as atmospheric conditions ... easily corrected with one click in CaptureNX2 ... or Photoshop

-- hide signature --

PrasadIndi's gear list:PrasadIndi's gear list
Nikon D3100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
crs-collectibles
Like?

That looks better. What click would that be? I was playing around with it in viewnx2 and it seemed to make a difference when I changed the exposure which led me to think it was an exposure issue.

Thanks.

Nightwings
Like?

crs-collectibles wrote:

That looks better. What click would that be? I was playing around with it in viewnx2 and it seemed to make a difference when I changed the exposure which led me to think it was an exposure issue.

Thanks.

CaptureNX2 has an adjustment called "Auto Levels" .... found under Ajust ---> Light. To be used with caution as it sometimes goes balistic giving undesirable results. Viewnx2 has no such function (that I am aware of). You have to play with the brightness/contrast. In your case, in viewnx2 I applied -30 brighness and +30 contrast and got a similar correction.... infact it's even more pleasing then my posted correction.

-- hide signature --

Nightwings
Like?
In reply to PrasadIndi, Apr 30, 2012

PrasadIndi wrote:

Cool... could you explain how can this be done in LR3?

It's not, I don't think there is an Auto Levels equivalent...that I know of; this is why they want you to buy CS5...etc. Although I can do auto levels in my near decade old copy of photoshop 7 .... certainly PS elements has it.

But here is a quick and dirty edit in LR4

-1ev
+95 contrast
+56 whites
-51 blacks

OR something less convoluted

+7 whites
-83 blacks

-- hide signature --

Island Golfer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,573
Like?

Photoshop Elements 9 does the exact same thing with one-click of "auto levels". I just tried it. If the Dpreview upload was functioning (which it too frequently doesn't), I would have posted it.
--
truview

Ray Soares
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,064Gear list
Like?
Re: understanding exposure on d7000

To cut haze use a CPL filter!.

And / or in PP just increase a bit your structure (middle tone contrast) or contrast.
Best
--
Ray Soares

See my pictures at http://www.pbase.com/raysoares

Ray Soares's gear list:Ray Soares's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +1 more
fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ray Soares, Apr 30, 2012

Watch three videos at testcams.com called "does Nikon D7000 overexpose"

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
crs-collectibles
Like?
In reply to Nightwings, May 1, 2012

Nightwings wrote:

crs-collectibles wrote:

Thanks.

CaptureNX2 has an adjustment called "Auto Levels" .... found under Ajust ---> Light. To be used with caution as it sometimes goes balistic giving undesirable results. Viewnx2 has no such function (that I am aware of). You have to play with the brightness/contrast. In your case, in viewnx2 I applied -30 brighness and +30 contrast and got a similar correction.... infact it's even more pleasing then my posted correction.

-- hide signature --

Thanks I'll try that. When I tried, I got it to look fairly decent (I liked it) by changing exposure to -1.1 and contrast to +24.

crs-collectibles
Like?
In reply to Ray Soares, May 1, 2012

Ray Soares wrote:

To cut haze use a CPL filter!.

And / or in PP just increase a bit your structure (middle tone contrast) or contrast.
Best
--
Ray Soares

See my pictures at http://www.pbase.com/raysoares

Thanks, I didn't even think about using the cpl filter I had. It didn't look that bad on the lcd screen. Got to learn to look at that more.

Rob801
Forum MemberPosts: 74Gear list
Like?
In reply to crs-collectibles, May 1, 2012

Here's one with "auto enhance" in Aperture. I think it looks very close to the results Nightwings second post (which looks slightly different than the first one... at least the water). I'm not sure why the file is so small... I'm still struggling a little with getting the actual size file up and downloaded on DPR.

I use the Auto Enhance quite a lot (maybe too much) on my RAW photos.

Rob801's gear list:Rob801's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads