A former nikon users first 24 hours with the 5D III

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
mbresle
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
A former nikon users first 24 hours with the 5D III
Apr 30, 2012

It's funny, I never saw myself going to Canon after shooting Nikon for the last (and my first) five years. I got noticed enough to be published in several magazines and newspapers around the world and be asked to partake in a few gallery shows focused on burlesque. I love my D300, but this year came the time to upgrade with the idea of continuing the performance photography that I do, the head shots and portraits I take, and also getting into weddings (wish me luck on that one).

Oh, and I got married last year and hired a photographer who shoots Canon. As I vacillated back and forth between the D800 and 5DIII, one thing stuck out in my head: the way Canon renders color and skin tones versus my Nikon. I was capital A-amazed. All of his photos looked incredibly rich (he gave me the raw files so I knew what I was looking at) without editing.

I've been shooting with the 5DIII for just over 24 hours now including a christening today and I have some initial thoughts.

1) Holy cow this thing is amazing! It is at least as clean at ISO 12800 as my d300 at 1600 or maybe even 800!

2) Gorgeous color rendition. Out of camera, the raw files from my d300 were life like, but nowhere near as rich as these seem to be so far. The screen on the camera has damn near perfect color reproduction so that I can pretty much hold it up to a tree or a dress and see very little difference. The files on my computer have a vibrance my nikon is missing.

3) Detail is excellent and I must give props to the 24-105L and 85 1.8 on that one as part of it. It is definitely nice having f/4 have the DOF of f/4 and not f/5.6 like APS-C, but the detail in the files is astounding. I neither want nor need 50-75MB files. The detail and dynamic range I see at is an impressive step forward from both 12mp to 22mp and for 5 years development.

4) Wickedly fast autofocus. My D300 is no slouch, but my 5dIII is making it look that way. The zone autofocus is nice and I find myself enjoying the way zone AF is implemented. With that, the choice of single point and single point spot is nice. Getting used to using the wheels to choose my autofocus point more quickly is a pain, but again, it's part of learning a new system.

5) I REALLY MISS SPOT METERING LINKED TO MY AUTOFOCUS POINT. It's going to take me a while to figure out how best to meter even when just shooting basic portraits. Also the fuller coverage of a system this size on an APS-C sensor, but then I knew what I was getting myself into regardless of the company I ended up going with.

6) It feels like my D300- perfect in my hand. A solid weight, a good size, similar button placement

7) Quiet mode and live view are excellent, need to experiment more with LV because it is so much crisper than on the D300

Additionally, I have to say the 85 1.8 is an AMAZING LENS. It really has the feel of the Nikon 1.4d, and that is a hell of a compliment. I must say it is lovely having that field of view of an 85 with the actual magnification of an 85 and not a 50 (and yes I know on nikon's crop it is technically the fov of a 75mm lens). The 24-105L is great at f/4 and gets better from there, but I still feel the need to pick up a 35mm down the line.

Overall, this is a great camera! So far I am incredibly satisfied and can't wait to master the system and regain the ability to easily make the shots I see in my head without thinking about what my hands are doing.

Thank you for indulging my initial thoughts.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D300 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
alien3333
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,476
Like?
Re: A former nikon users first 24 hours with the 5D III
In reply to mbresle, Apr 30, 2012

mbresle wrote:

It's funny, I never saw myself going to Canon after shooting Nikon for the last (and my first) five years. I got noticed enough to be published in several magazines and newspapers around the world and be asked to partake in a few gallery shows focused on burlesque. I love my D300, but this year came the time to upgrade with the idea of continuing the performance photography that I do, the head shots and portraits I take, and also getting into weddings (wish me luck on that one).

Oh, and I got married last year and hired a photographer who shoots Canon. As I vacillated back and forth between the D800 and 5DIII, one thing stuck out in my head: the way Canon renders color and skin tones versus my Nikon. I was capital A-amazed. All of his photos looked incredibly rich (he gave me the raw files so I knew what I was looking at) without editing.

I've been shooting with the 5DIII for just over 24 hours now including a christening today and I have some initial thoughts.

1) Holy cow this thing is amazing! It is at least as clean at ISO 12800 as my d300 at 1600 or maybe even 800!

2) Gorgeous color rendition. Out of camera, the raw files from my d300 were life like, but nowhere near as rich as these seem to be so far. The screen on the camera has damn near perfect color reproduction so that I can pretty much hold it up to a tree or a dress and see very little difference. The files on my computer have a vibrance my nikon is missing.

3) Detail is excellent and I must give props to the 24-105L and 85 1.8 on that one as part of it. It is definitely nice having f/4 have the DOF of f/4 and not f/5.6 like APS-C, but the detail in the files is astounding. I neither want nor need 50-75MB files. The detail and dynamic range I see at is an impressive step forward from both 12mp to 22mp and for 5 years development.

4) Wickedly fast autofocus. My D300 is no slouch, but my 5dIII is making it look that way. The zone autofocus is nice and I find myself enjoying the way zone AF is implemented. With that, the choice of single point and single point spot is nice. Getting used to using the wheels to choose my autofocus point more quickly is a pain, but again, it's part of learning a new system.

5) I REALLY MISS SPOT METERING LINKED TO MY AUTOFOCUS POINT. It's going to take me a while to figure out how best to meter even when just shooting basic portraits. Also the fuller coverage of a system this size on an APS-C sensor, but then I knew what I was getting myself into regardless of the company I ended up going with.

6) It feels like my D300- perfect in my hand. A solid weight, a good size, similar button placement

7) Quiet mode and live view are excellent, need to experiment more with LV because it is so much crisper than on the D300

Additionally, I have to say the 85 1.8 is an AMAZING LENS. It really has the feel of the Nikon 1.4d, and that is a hell of a compliment. I must say it is lovely having that field of view of an 85 with the actual magnification of an 85 and not a 50 (and yes I know on nikon's crop it is technically the fov of a 75mm lens). The 24-105L is great at f/4 and gets better from there, but I still feel the need to pick up a 35mm down the line.

Overall, this is a great camera! So far I am incredibly satisfied and can't wait to master the system and regain the ability to easily make the shots I see in my head without thinking about what my hands are doing.

Thank you for indulging my initial thoughts.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mikegoat
Regular MemberPosts: 404Gear list
Like?
I agree with your assessment
In reply to mbresle, Apr 30, 2012

I have always been a Canon shooter for quite a while, now with a new 5DIII and lots of glass. For performance work, I wanted a single, fast focus, high ISO capable camera and the new 5DIII sure fits that bill for me. I too shoot a lot of burleseque so stage lighting and movment are alwaus the challenges. I even got rid of my Mark IV to lighten the load and am so far ecstatic. I will look forward to your work. And mine!

 mikegoat's gear list:mikegoat's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,832
Like?
Re: A former nikon users first 24 hours with the 5D III
In reply to mbresle, Apr 30, 2012

You summarized the quality of the usability of the 5D-III very well. I think too many of the gear-heads on this forum who might pick and poke at your analysis - but that does not matter. The camera performs beautifully.... the only reason I am bypassing the 5D-III after using one for a day is that it is (except for focus), only a minor upgrade from my 5D-II and, so far with limited information, I think the 1DX is probably a better choice for my needs.
--
tony
http://www.tphoto.ca

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tigertails99
Regular MemberPosts: 456
Like?
Re: A former nikon users first 24 hours with the 5D III
In reply to mbresle, Apr 30, 2012

Nice write up, looking forward to some pics.

Waiting for the hoard of should have bought D800 posts.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
iwannabesedated
Contributing MemberPosts: 985Gear list
Like?
Re: A former nikon users first 24 hours with the 5D III
In reply to mbresle, Apr 30, 2012

mbresle wrote:

A former nikon users first 24 hours with the 5D III

Welcome to DPR! Again! -iwbs

 iwannabesedated's gear list:iwannabesedated's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?
Re: A former nikon users first 24 hours with the 5D III
In reply to mbresle, Apr 30, 2012

Please post some comparisons. Not direct ones but portraits with the Nikon and then with the 5D3, so that we can see what are you talking about.

You are comparing the 5d3 to the D300, which is not quite fair to Nikon. I can tell you that I can see more vibrant color, etc., going from Canon crop to Canon FF. On the other hand, skin tones do not seem to change much.

Would you post links to some of your published pictures (if possible)?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
abracadabenhotmailfr
Contributing MemberPosts: 634
Like?
And you joined today?
In reply to mbresle, Apr 30, 2012

Just wondering..... I wanted to check your gallery or website to see how good you are... But didn't see anything but a profile created on april 30 with this only post.

.........

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
7DVancouverite
Contributing MemberPosts: 533
Like?
Re:
In reply to abracadabenhotmailfr, Apr 30, 2012

Right....he's new so OBVIOUSLY he must be bashing the D800...seriously swallow your tongue....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mbresle
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Re: And you joined today?
In reply to abracadabenhotmailfr, Apr 30, 2012

flickr.com/mattyb83 or http://www.mattbreslerphoto.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mbresle
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
Re: And you joined today?
In reply to mbresle, Apr 30, 2012

on flickr, i have to have you listed as a friend to see the burlesque i talked about because of my day job.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ak1999
Contributing MemberPosts: 524
Like?
Re: A former nikon users first 24 hours with the 5D III
In reply to mbresle, Apr 30, 2012

mbresle wrote:

1) Holy cow this thing is amazing! It is at least as clean at ISO 12800 as my d300 at 1600 or maybe even 800!

The sensor in D300 is very noisy.

I got a D90 which have same sensor as D300 on a package deal before and sold it right away after I checked some pictures that I thought they were shot at ISO 1600 but they turned out to be ISO400 pictures.
The EXMOR sensors like those in D7000/D5100 are much better.

3) Detail is excellent and I must give props to the 24-105L and 85 1.8 on that one as part of it. It is definitely nice having f/4 have the DOF of f/4 and not f/5.6 like APS-C, but the detail in the files is astounding. I neither want nor need 50-75MB files. The detail and dynamic range I see at is an impressive step forward from both 12mp to 22mp and for 5 years development.

Keep in mind that you are jumping from APS to 35mm sensor size.
I will suggest getting new 24-70mm.

The 24-105mm is a decent all-around performer but it does not have color and contrast of the better Canon L lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ArabiaSandStorm
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
Re: And you joined today?
In reply to mbresle, Apr 30, 2012

Believe me, showing your work is not enough, some one now is checking your history since birth sometimes I feel many posters here are ex-CIA agents.

Seriously, when reading your post I get the feeling that you were impressed more by the move from crop to FF than Nikon to Canon. I am interested in real life d800 vs 5DM3 (and Nikon vs. Canon in general). I purchased two 5DM3 kits so far and both were returned, one due to lens problem and the other due to light leak "non-issue", I have an order with Amazon for the "enhanced" 5DM3 version. I have invested in Canon glass, many of which can't find in Nikon camp (MP-E65, 8-15 FishEye, ...)

But during the last couple of weeks, especially after Canon's bad handling of the "non-issue" light leak, converting ideas start to creep into me, but I am holding back as I will lose a lot (financially and in glass variety/quality). I believe Canon had planned it this way as they are most certain that current base of users will not switch just because Nikon had a better body.

Now if Nikon introduced a campaign where they trade-in my Canon glass if I purchased one of their pro bodies, likelihood of switching will be above 90%...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
abracadabenhotmailfr
Contributing MemberPosts: 634
Like?
Re: And you joined today?
In reply to mbresle, Apr 30, 2012

thx for sharing.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
octane2
Contributing MemberPosts: 670
Like?
Re: A former nikon users first 24 hours with the 5D III
In reply to mbresle, Apr 30, 2012

Welcome aboard, and, great to hear you're having a good time with your new system.

Thank you, also, for reinforcing my belief that Nikon (Sony) skin tones are off. I've shot weddings with a second photographer shooting Nikon; I had to work so hard on his images that were chosen for the album, to match the clean, true-to-life skin tones out of my 5D and 5D Mark II. The shots out of his Nikons (processed in CaptureNX 2) were so radioactive bronze compared to the neutral/true-to-life skin tones out of Digital Photo Professional for the Canon systems.

The pictures had to be worked on extensively in Photoshop to try and draw the warmth out of them and return them to some semblance of normalcy and consistency for the final album.

It is the one and only reason I will never switch systems: skin tones.

Cheers.

Regards,
H

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,779Gear list
Like?
I switched a few months ago
In reply to mbresle, Apr 30, 2012

And I have to agree with most of what you are saying - I don't have a 5d3 for AF speed comparison - but for skin tones the canon is a lot better for me than the Nikon (I owned the D700 most recently but also shot with the D300 for a couple of years and have worked with the D3x at times).

Despite looking worse by numbers the Canon files seem to be more malleable as well in post, whereas Nikon seem to always work better the same way.
--
James
http://photos.jamestux.com
http://photos.flickr.com/jamestux
http://blog.jamestux.com

 JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
GaryJP
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,081Gear list
Like?
Re: And you joined today?
In reply to ArabiaSandStorm, Apr 30, 2012

No. Trolling behaviour would be posting an appreciation of Canon in the Nikon forum

It's really not a difficult concept.

Or starting to go after this guy for actually daring to like a Canon in a Canon forum. As you can already find in this thread.

ArabiaSandStorm wrote:

Believe me, showing your work is not enough, some one now is checking your history since birth sometimes I feel many posters here are ex-CIA agents.

-- hide signature --
 GaryJP's gear list:GaryJP's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 II G1 X II Canon EOS-1D Mark III +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jan pawlak
Regular MemberPosts: 410
Like?
Re: And you joined today?
In reply to GaryJP, Apr 30, 2012

DOF f/4 is the same for FF format and for APS-C format.

jp

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jrahadi
Regular MemberPosts: 240Gear list
Like?
Canon Skin Tones
In reply to octane2, Apr 30, 2012

I prefer Canon skintones.

@octane2: I shared your view & experience, except that I prefer Nikon colours for non-people subjects such as landscapes.

octane2 wrote:

Welcome aboard, and, great to hear you're having a good time with your new system.

Thank you, also, for reinforcing my belief that Nikon (Sony) skin tones are off. I've shot weddings with a second photographer shooting Nikon; I had to work so hard on his images that were chosen for the album, to match the clean, true-to-life skin tones out of my 5D and 5D Mark II. The shots out of his Nikons (processed in CaptureNX 2) were so radioactive bronze compared to the neutral/true-to-life skin tones out of Digital Photo Professional for the Canon systems.

The pictures had to be worked on extensively in Photoshop to try and draw the warmth out of them and return them to some semblance of normalcy and consistency for the final album.

It is the one and only reason I will never switch systems: skin tones.

Cheers.

Regards,
H

 jrahadi's gear list:jrahadi's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,779Gear list
Like?
Re: A former nikon users first 24 hours with the 5D III
In reply to octane2, Apr 30, 2012

octane2 wrote:

Thank you, also, for reinforcing my belief that Nikon (Sony) skin tones are off.

I agree, but that's all Nikon! Look at the skin tones that Sony get from the same sensor and it's massively different, I preferred the A900 to the D3x and the Sony version was the "crippled" sensor (12 bit output instead of 14).

The pictures had to be worked on extensively in Photoshop to try and draw the warmth out of them and return them to some semblance of normalcy and consistency for the final album.

It is the one and only reason I will never switch systems: skin tones.

Cheers.

Regards,
H

 JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads