Black out camera name with tape WHy?

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
MaxTux
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
here's from someone who does it...
In reply to digitalshooter, May 1, 2012

I've seen very few comments from someone who actually does it.

I do it for a very simple reason: I just don't feel acting like a walking billboard. I feel no obligation whatsoever to advertise the suppliers of the products - be it cameras, clothing, and so on - that I happen to use. I have no issue with those that feel otherwise, and I see no reason why they should object to my views and actions.

Which makes it, as somebody above said, surprising to find so many negative comments on such an innocent and harmless habit.

MaxTux

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JamesRL
Senior MemberPosts: 2,327Gear list
Like?
Re: here's from someone who does it...
In reply to MaxTux, May 1, 2012

I see this happen on commercials and TV shows where they try to get product placement and fail to get any $$. They cover the logo to avoid giving away something for free that they had tried to sell.

JamesRL's gear list:JamesRL's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +6 more
digitalshooter
Forum ProPosts: 14,095Gear list
Like?
actually, those with me inquired to me since they knew I liked
In reply to jerome_munich, May 1, 2012

photography. So I can only imagine how many may have asked, whereas if it were not covered they would know.

I think it can go either way, in reality though, with it covered maybe he is doing what he wants: to have folks ask him so he can hand out a card.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

PS: all posts are just my opinion!

digitalshooter's gear list:digitalshooter's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
digitalshooter
Like?
agree profit is profit for a theif (nt)
In reply to Mark B., May 1, 2012
-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

digitalshooter
Like?
Your right now that I think of that (nt)
In reply to YoHahnMD, May 1, 2012
-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

digitalshooter
Like?
Thanks for your perspective as a doer (nt)
-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

YoHahnMD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,954
Like?
Re: here's from someone who does it... I say 'BS'!

MaxTux wrote:

I do it for a very simple reason: I just don't feel acting like a walking billboard. I feel no obligation whatsoever to advertise the suppliers of the products - be it cameras, clothing, and so on - that I happen to use. I have no issue with those that feel otherwise, and I see no reason why they should object to my views and actions.

Which makes it, as somebody above said, surprising to find so many negative comments on such an innocent and harmless habit.

MaxTux

Like a piece of tape is going to stop people from asking questions about the cameras hanging around their neck!

Who is kidding who here?

-- hide signature --

Vote NoBama for Ex-President in 2012

Ermac
Regular MemberPosts: 397
Like?
Re: Black out camera name with tape WHy?

digitalshooter wrote:

Was at a wedding last night and the pro photog and his staff all had the name brand of their cameras blacked out with tape.

WHy do you think?

-- hide signature --

Thanks,

Digitalshooter

They're there to take pictures not advertise the brand of thier gear.
--
I brake for animals.

Cy Cheze
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028
Like?
Camera names always blacked out at interfaith weddings

The groom's family were reform Canonites.

The bride's were all orthodox Nikonians.

You can't leave the camera names unexposed without inciting a feud.

MissingLinkie
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?
Re: Respect
In reply to Mark B., May 1, 2012

Mark B. wrote:

Bruce McL wrote:

Respect for their clients, not exposing them to advertisements on their wedding day.

Respect for themselves, believing that giving away free advertising to camera manufacturers is for losers.

I didnt tape it, i used a dark black marker, and you have to get REAL close to see it.
reason? Its much more relaxing when ppl with cams are around me,
when i travel around the world in a group. (and i travel alot)

I wonder if such people also remove/cover up the emblems on the vehicle they drive also?

good thinking YES... i drive a fast Audi quattro limo,
and i got to much attention like:
-how fast is it?
-how quickly to 100mph??
-mine is faster (lol... nice joke :P)
-or worst: CAN I DRIVE A MOMENT ??

Now, i only get contacted by a "insider" telling me:
-ahh, they stole your emblemes??
-you can order them you know that..??
lol

-- hide signature --

This is just my RAW avatar....

GarageBoy
Contributing MemberPosts: 857
Like?
Re: Black out camera name with tape WHy?

It makes smug non pros feel more "pro"

Seriously, any dpreviewer can recognize a Canon/Nikon/Olympus/Pentax if they saw one... you're not fooling anybody, or hiding anything

Bruce McL
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092
Like?
In reply to MissingLinkie, May 1, 2012

MissingLinkie wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Bruce McL wrote:

Respect for their clients, not exposing them to advertisements on their wedding day.

Respect for themselves, believing that giving away free advertising to camera manufacturers is for losers.

I didnt tape it, i used a dark black marker, and you have to get REAL close to see it.
reason? Its much more relaxing when ppl with cams are around me,
when i travel around the world in a group. (and i travel alot)

I wonder if such people also remove/cover up the emblems on the vehicle they drive also?

good thinking YES... i drive a fast Audi quattro limo,
and i got to much attention like:
-how fast is it?
-how quickly to 100mph??
-mine is faster (lol... nice joke :P)
-or worst: CAN I DRIVE A MOMENT ??

Now, i only get contacted by a "insider" telling me:
-ahh, they stole your emblemes??
-you can order them you know that..??
lol

A friend "debranded" his mid 1980's Mustang for similar reasons, with good results.

I'm thinking about inking in the white Nikon on my camera as well. But it's my first Nikon, and it's still very new. It may take me a while to completely debrand it. I did black out the "Nikon System 1" on the neck strap, and the Nikon writing on the lens cap. That's way too much advertising.

I don't even like seeing "North Face" on the back of people's jackets.

richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,064Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bruce McL, May 1, 2012

Bruce McL wrote:

I don't even like seeing "North Face" on the back of people's jackets.

I don't mind that. So long as they are facing South RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
citizenlouie
Contributing MemberPosts: 635Gear list
Like?
Re: Camera names always blacked out at interfaith weddings
In reply to Cy Cheze, May 1, 2012

Classic Shakespearean tragedy. Maybe the photographer is a Pagan Sonyan.

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +4 more
Lancaster
Junior MemberPosts: 35Gear list
Like?

MaxTux wrote:

Okay, this thread has finally shaken me out of the tree.

I also do this, although not at weddings, but in war zones, humanitarian disasters and as a matter of habit at home.

I cannot speak for why the wedding photographers who were the example that started this thread were doing but I, and many people like me, do it to stop people from grabbing stuff from around the neck that might get them a year's income in some back-of-beyond hellhole.

From about the late 80's to a few years ago I spent most of my time as a journalist/shooter/relief worker in just about every disaster area there's been around the world and no matter my job I always carried a camera. http://www.thedisastertourist.com

I first saw blacked out camera logos etc in the Great Ethiopian famine. But in addition to hidden logos, the cameras the pros were carrying in Ethiopia also appeared to be quite beat up with bare metal showing, scraps of duct tape here and there, and nothing like a logo or brand name showing on gear, bags or clothing. It looked like they were shooting with years out of date dirt cheap consumer junk.

And the reason was, and still is, that desperate people as well as the out and out criminals, are far more likely to bash you over the head for a glittering new camera than one that looks like it is has been kicking around in a run down pawn shop for 20 years.

The argument that savvy people will always be able to recognize a high end camera no matter how much tape might be true if they have enough time to get a look. But by scuffing things up (I've seen some shooters use sandpaper to beat up the camera and lens bodies to make them look bad) , things like using a bit of dirty string to tie a lens cap to a lens, obliterating the logo, etc, and keeping all your gear in nondescript bags, (even to the extent of putting photo gear in a plastic shopping bag) you can reduce your radar signal to stealth levels and hopefully avoid a grab and run.

I've seen high end camera equipment for sale in every makeshift refugee market from Kosovo to East Timor and it is almost always in good shape. I cabn't recall ever seeing any old scuffed up stuff.

I was with a good friend in Kabul in 2003 when he bought a then new, and still pristine, Nikon D1 with its silly yellow neck strap off a street thief for $200. In Mogadishu during the civil war I saw an 80 thousand dollar Sony Beta-Cam that had been grabbed off the shoulder of an ABC News cameraman and sold for $500. And there were many more examples.

While I don't go to war zones nearly as often I still keep my equipment in stealth mode. I live in a city of a million people that is infinitely safer than Baghdad but there are areas where I just know that I would loose a camera to some Oxycontin desperate thug if a wandered around with a dorky Nikon neck strap screaming to the world that I had something worth stealing.

And I continue to do it for another reason. The resort towns of Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper are just about in my backyard. I am frequently there with my gear and so too are many thousands of tourists, some with amazingly high end photo gear.

If you walk around with your Logos set to Flash on High and your lenses gleaming with camera store freshness you are going to be checked out like a newly hired stripper strutting down a runway.

There is something really offensive and rude about the way some people with pro-consumer cameras will stare at your cameras. They are clearly doing a mental social status totaling up routine to see if you rank higher or lower than they and their gear.

With frayed duct tape ends curling off my camera body, my junior high-school book bag carrying my lenses, and my self made shoulder strap to keep my unidentifiable black lump of a camera down low on my right hip I can drift past invisibly.

Now, I see from many of the posts here that a lot of people think the whole idea of gear camouflage is silly and some really seem to get quite upset about the idea.

That's fine. I am not here to say that what I and others do should be some sort of standard. I do say, however, that there are good and sufficient reasons for doing it for some people in some cases, and I have tried to explain mine.

-- hide signature --

Rick Grant
Calgary

Lancaster's gear list:Lancaster's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot S120 Nikon D90 Nikon D7000 +3 more
gkreth
Senior MemberPosts: 2,955
Like?
Loved the post about Yousuf Karsh
In reply to Lancaster, May 1, 2012

Great post; thanks.

Went to your site; loved the piece about Yousuf Karsh.

Greg

Lancaster wrote:

MaxTux wrote:

I also do this, although not at weddings, but in war zones, humanitarian disasters and as a matter of habit at home.

I cannot speak for why the wedding photographers who were the example that started this thread were doing but I, and many people like me, do it to stop people from grabbing stuff from around the neck that might get them a year's income in some back-of-beyond hellhole.

From about the late 80's to a few years ago I spent most of my time as a journalist/shooter/relief worker in just about every disaster area there's been around the world and no matter my job I always carried a camera. http://www.thedisastertourist.com

I first saw blacked out camera logos etc in the Great Ethiopian famine. But in addition to hidden logos, the cameras the pros were carrying in Ethiopia also appeared to be quite beat up with bare metal showing, scraps of duct tape here and there, and nothing like a logo or brand name showing on gear, bags or clothing. It looked like they were shooting with years out of date dirt cheap consumer junk.

And the reason was, and still is, that desperate people as well as the out and out criminals, are far more likely to bash you over the head for a glittering new camera than one that looks like it is has been kicking around in a run down pawn shop for 20 years.

The argument that savvy people will always be able to recognize a high end camera no matter how much tape might be true if they have enough time to get a look. But by scuffing things up (I've seen some shooters use sandpaper to beat up the camera and lens bodies to make them look bad) , things like using a bit of dirty string to tie a lens cap to a lens, obliterating the logo, etc, and keeping all your gear in nondescript bags, (even to the extent of putting photo gear in a plastic shopping bag) you can reduce your radar signal to stealth levels and hopefully avoid a grab and run.

I've seen high end camera equipment for sale in every makeshift refugee market from Kosovo to East Timor and it is almost always in good shape. I cabn't recall ever seeing any old scuffed up stuff.

I was with a good friend in Kabul in 2003 when he bought a then new, and still pristine, Nikon D1 with its silly yellow neck strap off a street thief for $200. In Mogadishu during the civil war I saw an 80 thousand dollar Sony Beta-Cam that had been grabbed off the shoulder of an ABC News cameraman and sold for $500. And there were many more examples.

While I don't go to war zones nearly as often I still keep my equipment in stealth mode. I live in a city of a million people that is infinitely safer than Baghdad but there are areas where I just know that I would loose a camera to some Oxycontin desperate thug if a wandered around with a dorky Nikon neck strap screaming to the world that I had something worth stealing.

And I continue to do it for another reason. The resort towns of Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper are just about in my backyard. I am frequently there with my gear and so too are many thousands of tourists, some with amazingly high end photo gear.

If you walk around with your Logos set to Flash on High and your lenses gleaming with camera store freshness you are going to be checked out like a newly hired stripper strutting down a runway.

There is something really offensive and rude about the way some people with pro-consumer cameras will stare at your cameras. They are clearly doing a mental social status totaling up routine to see if you rank higher or lower than they and their gear.

With frayed duct tape ends curling off my camera body, my junior high-school book bag carrying my lenses, and my self made shoulder strap to keep my unidentifiable black lump of a camera down low on my right hip I can drift past invisibly.

Now, I see from many of the posts here that a lot of people think the whole idea of gear camouflage is silly and some really seem to get quite upset about the idea.

That's fine. I am not here to say that what I and others do should be some sort of standard. I do say, however, that there are good and sufficient reasons for doing it for some people in some cases, and I have tried to explain mine.

-- hide signature --

Rick Grant
Calgary

jerome_munich
Contributing MemberPosts: 736
Like?
Thank you.

Lancaster wrote:

MaxTux wrote:

(...)

Thanks to both of you for two excellent posts.

And there is something I should have said earlier: I have taped off the brands of my camera and other gears for the past 35 years. I never use the manufacturer's strap. I don't wear obviously branded clothing and I removed the tags of my car.

It is more discrete and, most of all, I don't want to be a walking billboard.

MaxTux
Regular MemberPosts: 359
Like?
even better
In reply to gkreth, May 1, 2012

gkreth wrote:

Went to your site; loved the piece about Yousuf Karsh.

today's suggested reading (on the same site):
Amid the Ruins – A Poor Kind of Journalism
MaxTux

GarageBoy
Contributing MemberPosts: 857
Like?

Lancaster wrote:

+1

These are the same guys who make sure they have their cameras on their necks while roaming B&H/Adorama

Cameras as a status symbol/fashion accessory... ::sigh::

leekil
Forum MemberPosts: 71
Like?

I asked a friend about this last week. She has a blacked-out (black body) Nikon FM. She said that without it being blacked out, people will look up at the logo on the prism, which affects the pictures she gets on the street.

She also said the M9-P had the red dot removed by Leica for similar reasons.

Lee

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads