Black out camera name with tape WHy?

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,368
Like?
Re: Black out camera name with tape WHy?
In reply to DUSTY LENS, Apr 30, 2012

DUSTY LENS wrote:

Could be they are afraid of having their expensive cameras stolen .

Yeah, because without the brand name showing nobody would ever guess it was expensive camera gear. I'm not sure what else it's supposed to be mistaken for however, but as long as it gives the owner a warm fuzzy...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,368
Like?
Re: Respect
In reply to Bruce McL, Apr 30, 2012

Bruce McL wrote:

Respect for their clients, not exposing them to advertisements on their wedding day.

Respect for themselves, believing that giving away free advertising to camera manufacturers is for losers.

I wonder if such people also remove/cover up the emblems on the vehicle they drive also?

Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Apr 30, 2012

People are a lot more likely to ask questions about high performance gear of any type. If you drove to a wedding in a Ferrari most of the guys there would ask you about it. Drive up in a Honda Accord and nobody will say a thing. I have never seen a professional photographer drive up in a Ferrari.

It is the same thing with camera gear. Photographers with high end gear probably get real tired of people asking about it while they are trying to work.

Mark B. wrote:

I wonder if such people also remove/cover up the emblems on the vehicle they drive also?

Patrick T. Kelly
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,055Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dave Lively, Apr 30, 2012

I've actually seen only one person with the brand of his camera taped over. He said he did it because his brand was the most popular with thieves but since I used a Pentax I was probably safe.
--
Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

rowlandw
Regular MemberPosts: 325Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bruce McL, Apr 30, 2012

Did they tape over the lenses too? (unless they using 3rd party lenses)

rowlandw's gear list:rowlandw's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Canon EOS 5D +4 more
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,087
Like?
In reply to digitalshooter, Apr 30, 2012

I've seen this before. It's just silly. Most are just objecting to giving "free advertising." Frequently these are the same guys who don't want to be photographed, but work as photographers.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,247
Like?
The olympics have an official urinal?
In reply to ZorSy, Apr 30, 2012

All sorts of humor lurking in that one.

Amongst other things...

ZorSy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,004Gear list
Like?
Re: The olympics have an official urinal?
In reply to TrapperJohn, Apr 30, 2012

TrapperJohn wrote:

All sorts of humor lurking in that one.

Amongst other things...

Yes, I know it is ridiculous. LOCOG is spending big making sure they are the real Big Brother, just announced "black boxes" on IP networks (as Icy would say "black means boring..." and in this case is rather right not a nutcase which really surprised me). But this is the article being repeated over and over:

Fans in the crowd won't be allowed to upload snippets of the day's action to YouTube – or even, potentially, to post their snaps from inside the Olympic Village on Facebook. And a crack team of branding "police", the Games organisers Locog have acknowledged, will be checking every bathroom in every Olympic venue – with the power to remove or tape over manufacturers' logos even on soap dispensers, wash basins and toilets.

Of course, I am expecting that the tape will be white to match...nevertheless, would like to see the official "Locog stamp of approval" on the bottom of the same urinals, just as a public opinion voting method.....

Can't wait these 88 days till LOG2012 to start and all the debacle caused by petty little bureaucrats unreveals - 1000s sport people wearing Nike, while Adidas paying big to have competitors logos taped over....JUST IMAGINE the army of officials running at the opening ceremony armed with tape dispensers: PRICELESS (ops, silly me, that's Mastercard slogan, Visa is an official partner)

cheers

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D7100
Cy Cheze
Senior MemberPosts: 2,028
Like?
To avoid fanboy disruption of the ceremony

The black tape was necessary to prevent fans of other brands from trolling the wedding with catcalls, disgruntled noises, and rude outbursts on sight of the cameras.

"Hey. Aren't you guys pros? Why you using that kiddie brand? Didn't the bride's dad have enought money to hire a team with brand X?"

"This couple is doomed. The photos will be crummy, just like everything shot with brand X."

"Humph. A real wedding photographer would use only brand X!"

"Version ii? I heard that version iii was much better!"

"Hey, I got a camera too. Can you tell me what lens I should get?"

"What? Those look like the cameras Studio B listed on e-Bay last month. You guys must really be scraping for bargains. Is business slow?"

tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,040
Like?
to slow down dumb *ss question from the guests

What camera do you use? Which is best, Nikon or Canon? How many megapixels? Did you know DPreview tested your camera and it came out second? How come it's 2 years old.

Kind of nips it in the bud when you can't even tell the brand . ..

Pedagydusz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,203Gear list
Like?

Just a couple of days ago, a poster was asking how to make his/her gear unobtrusive. One answer, by a photographer that seemed to know what he was saying, wrote that taping over the brand/model logo of the camera was the way to go.
Perhaps that is the reason - to make the photographer unobtrusive!
--
Antonio

http://ferrer.smugmug.com/

Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Adobe Photoshop CS6
richardplondon
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,212Gear list
Like?
In reply to Pedagydusz, Apr 30, 2012

Pedagydusz wrote:

Perhaps that is the reason - to make the photographer unobtrusive!

The best way to be obtrusive , IMO, would be to skulk around in ninja gear, peeking from behind pillars and walking on tippytoe. Everyone's alarm bells go off straight away if they suspect someone is trying to get away with something unnoticed.

Perhaps the best way to be unobtrusive , is to wear one of those eye-searing bright yellow high-visibility vests - what I call a fluopeasant jacket - and stand in everyone's way measuring things every so often and muttering to yourself distractedly. After a very few minutes you are invisible, because you are discounted, because you are classified with the infrastructure... like a streetsign or a lamp. Something not to be tripped over, at best. That's how people are wired: the obvious is never front-of-attention for long.

Of course the vest may not be so easily ignored in the middle of a wedding reception, or on the beach, or ...

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?

digitalshooter wrote:

Was at a wedding last night and the pro photog and his staff all had the name brand of their cameras blacked out with tape.

WHy do you think?

Some people used to do that in the 60's with their Nikon F's

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
CFynn
Like?

DUSTY LENS wrote:

Could be they are just a little bit Crazy .

Probably they just want people to think they are beta testing some brand new DSLR which nobody is supposed to know about.

Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
CFynn
Like?

They are shooting with Sony cameras and don't want people to know

CFynn
Like?
In reply to Patrick T. Kelly, Apr 30, 2012

Patrick T. Kelly wrote:

I've actually seen only one person with the brand of his camera taped over. He said he did it because his brand was the most popular with thieves but since I used a Pentax I was probably safe.

Ouch!

jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,779
Like?
In reply to Braxton7, Apr 30, 2012

Watch out, bridesmaids! It's those camera guys!

jon404
Like?
Re: Maybe they don't want to get involved . . .
In reply to Glen Barrington, Apr 30, 2012

I think you're right. To avoid distractions, like "My brother has a Canon, he says it's better than your Sony."

However -- it may backfire. Like, "Hey, black duct tape. That's so cool. My brother put some on his Canon, he says it makes him look like a pro."

jon404
Like?
In reply to CFynn, Apr 30, 2012

Maybe respect for an anti-oriental bride -- bad enough being drenched with rice, having to eat sushi at your reception, and then being photographed by Japanese cameras.

jon404
Like?
In reply to CFynn, Apr 30, 2012

Back then, was there a reason?
Wouldn't have been theft, didn't pros back then lust after medium-format gear?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads