7D IQ vs. Orig 5D

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
summitphotographer
Regular MemberPosts: 233
Like?
7D IQ vs. Orig 5D
Apr 30, 2012

Which camera delivers superior image quality? Not content to upgrade to 5D III, but considering 7D, Thoughts?
--
Summit County Photog

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
five5pho
Regular MemberPosts: 375Gear list
Like?
Re: 7D IQ vs. Orig 5D
In reply to summitphotographer, Apr 30, 2012

for low iso shots, i much rather prefer the full frame look and the files of the 5d1
However the 5d, clearly shows its age.
--
http://www.pahountis.gr

five5pho's gear list:five5pho's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?

summitphotographer wrote:

Which camera delivers superior image quality? Not content to upgrade to 5D III, but considering 7D, Thoughts?

This is not a well posed question. For shallow DOF, the 5D is better. For reach, the 7D is better. To get similar shots, you need different lenses, etc.

EvokeEmotion
Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?

Sold my 7D, kept my 5D. 7D has fantastic ergonomics, a joy to hold and use. 5D feels old and clunky but one look at the images and I'll gladly put up with the 5D's terrible LCD, AF, shutter lag, power switch placement, lack of Live View, etc.

--
Summit County Photog

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
summitphotographer
Like?
In reply to EvokeEmotion, Apr 30, 2012

Thanks for the replies, have plenty of glass to do the range I need with either camera, just looking to know if the extra MP of the 7D and the upgraded AF yields improved IQ over the original 5D given the same subject.

Evoke- what do you like better about the 5D images?

Thanks

EvokeEmotion wrote:

Sold my 7D, kept my 5D. 7D has fantastic ergonomics, a joy to hold and use. 5D feels old and clunky but one look at the images and I'll gladly put up with the 5D's terrible LCD, AF, shutter lag, power switch placement, lack of Live View, etc.

--
Summit County Photog

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

alien3333
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,476
Like?

FF always better than Crop in terms of image quality, with better bokeh, and "mood" in the image. Also 5D classic 12MP is the best 12MP one can get ...

-a

--
Summit County Photog

summitphotographer
Like?
In reply to summitphotographer, May 1, 2012

Anyone else?
--
Summit County Photog

IDIV
Junior MemberPosts: 43
Like?

My experience with owning both at the same time is summed up like this:
5D - Much better IQ. (Colour, noise, just beautiful images!)
7D - Much better everything else (speed, focus, ergonomics, rear screen etc)

The 7D was much nicer to use, but I wanted to use the 5D for everything because of the IQ.

The speed of the 7D meant it could capture some shots the 5D could not.

What I really, really wanted was a 7D with a 5D sensor. The 5DII turned out NOT to be that camera. I had to buy a 1D IV to get that, but it now seems the 5DIII is pulling that trick.

rpiotr01
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?

I don't have 7D, just original 5D so I can't compare the two.

I love the look of 5D photos, nice and smooth. But the 7D is just a better overall package if you're ok with the crop factor. The original 5D really is little more than a light-proof box with rudimentary AF and a great but old sensor. It's very plug-and-play - put a lens on and shoot. There's not much of a menu to learn, nothing is complicated at all. For a lot of people there is something appealing about that. The "vibe" of the 5D, so to speak, is to just take it slow, take your time, the image is all that matters.

7D has more resolution, much better AF, better ergonomics and better everything else. I think it's more well-rounded and a better choice overall.

qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,335Gear list
Like?

It really depends on what you shoot. For landscape, studio and portrait, 5D1 still generates better files, smoother rendition, natural sharper and look more popup. For actions, sports and wildlife 7D is your choice.

By the way, I own 60D (shares the sensor from 7D), 5D1 and 5D2.

--
Summit County Photog

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
EvokeEmotion
Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?

Excelllent skin tone rendition. 7D seems more punchy, not quite Disney like, but I prefer that produced by the 5D. Also, picture is sharp at pixel level. I dread to look at 7D images at 100%. Never seem as sharp as those produced by the 5D. Maybe I had a bad copy.

Thanks for the replies, have plenty of glass to do the range I need with either camera, just looking to know if the extra MP of the 7D and the upgraded AF yields improved IQ over the original 5D given the same subject.

Thanks

EvokeEmotion wrote:

--
Summit County Photog

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

EvokeEmotion's gear list:EvokeEmotion's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +9 more
qianp2k
Like?
In reply to EvokeEmotion, May 1, 2012

No, you're not alone. 5D1 is one of the sharpest at per-pixel level. My 60D just cannot match to 5D1 at 100% cropped level. 5D1 files are also look creamier and better in color rendition.

You can view 100% cropped size in http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7843305573/photos/1691180/canon-eos-5d_img_0119_cropped?inalbum=5dvsothers ( by clicking original size link).

EvokeEmotion wrote:

Excelllent skin tone rendition. 7D seems more punchy, not quite Disney like, but I prefer that produced by the 5D. Also, picture is sharp at pixel level. I dread to look at 7D images at 100%. Never seem as sharp as those produced by the 5D. Maybe I had a bad copy.

Thanks

EvokeEmotion wrote:

--
Summit County Photog

-- hide signature --

Summit County Photog

-- hide signature --
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
summitphotographer
Like?
Thank You
In reply to qianp2k, May 1, 2012

Thank you for all your replies. Makes me feel good about my Old 5D, gues I was getting a little envy on more MP's and improved body, but don't want to spring for a 5Dupgrade until it has more MP's and not thinking I want to switch to Nikon- though tempting. Also, would like to ad video. If someone had said IQ is the same between 7D and 5D with just a crop being the difference, I probably would have made a switch. Also intrigued by some of the Micro Four Thirds cameras, but thats also a new glass investment. Thanks again.

cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 671Gear list
Like?

Having just upgraded to FF from a 7D, I would say that FF has a quality that no APS-C sensor camera can ever capture, now matter how high its MP or how good its QE/SNR. In daylight, the image quality of FF will always have a quality that a 7D couldn't match, no matter what FF body we're talking about. If you take shots of birds or baseballs, though, the extra reach of the 7D could be useful. I love the 7D, but it's no 5D in terms of image quality.

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D810 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +8 more
Faintandfuzzy
Senior MemberPosts: 3,328Gear list
Like?
Easy

--
Summit County Photog

Here's some info to compare:

7D benefits:

Larger and higher rez LCD
HD Video shooting
Live view
Faster and more accurate AF
Better weather sealing
Better build
100% viewfinder coverage
Higher frame rate
Built in dust removal
Higher resolution
Equal DR
Built in level
Equal or better high iso noise
More lenses to choose from
Micro AF Adjust

5D benefits:

It's fullframe

So, you can pretty decide from that list what is important to you. Yes, the 60D has less of the 7D qualities like build and FPS, etc, but you get the idea.

A couple of things to consider....if you like ultra shallow DOF shots all the time....with the eyes in focus but the nose blurry, then it's easier with the 5D....although it can be done with an APS-C camera as well.

A few people will try to exaggerate the high iso benefits. Keep this in mind...if you are using the 7D in a low light situation where you are at 3200 iso and f2.8 with 1.15 second.....a FF user to match the shutter speed and DOF would need to be at f5 and iso 8000 to 10,000. Now with that in mind, the 7D easily beats a 5D2 when comparing 3200 vs 10000.....and the old 5D can't even go above 3200....so it would be game over anyway.

Other post nonsense theories about "per pixel sharpness" which is of course not relevant when comparing cameras and the prints they produce.

I've produced comparison prints from the 5D, 5D2 and 7D (along with the D700, my Mamiya RB67, and others). With the 5D and 7D, when comparing 16x24 prints and 20x30 prints, the 7D prints simply looked more detailed and more natural. The 60D would be the same in this regard.

Don't bother buying an old relic simply because a few people are romantically attached to it for no other reason than it was the first FF DSLR they could afford on the used market.

Faintandfuzzy's gear list:Faintandfuzzy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Olympus E-10 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 +10 more
Faintandfuzzy
Like?
Oh...
In reply to Faintandfuzzy, May 1, 2012

....and the 7D shines in landscape shots. The 5D pales in comparison in large print. It just runs out of steam.

Canon PowerShot G3 Nikon Coolpix 950 Olympus E-10 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 +10 more
qianp2k
Like?
Re: Oh...

Do you have any 7D landscapes you can share with us to show its shininess? I print to 30x20" and my 5D photos show clarity and sharpness clearly over my 60D photos.

Faintandfuzzy wrote:

....and the 7D shines in landscape shots. The 5D pales in comparison in large print. It just runs out of steam.

-- hide signature --
Le Kilt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,662
Like?
Re: Easy

Faintandfuzzy wrote:

--
Summit County Photog

7D benefits:

HD Video shooting
Live view
Better weather sealing
Better build
100% viewfinder coverage
Higher frame rate
Built in dust removal
Higher resolution
Equal DR
Built in level
Micro AF Adjust

5D benefits:

It's fullframe

So, you can pretty decide from that list what is important to you. Yes, the 60D has less of the 7D qualities like build and FPS, etc, but you get the idea.

A couple of things to consider....if you like ultra shallow DOF shots all the time....with the eyes in focus but the nose blurry, then it's easier with the 5D....although it can be done with an APS-C camera as well.

A few people will try to exaggerate the high iso benefits. Keep this in mind...if you are using the 7D in a low light situation where you are at 3200 iso and f2.8 with 1.15 second.....a FF user to match the shutter speed and DOF would need to be at f5 and iso 8000 to 10,000. Now with that in mind, the 7D easily beats a 5D2 when comparing 3200 vs 10000.....and the old 5D can't even go above 3200....so it would be game over anyway.

But with the 5D you would most likely shoot at f/2.8 and might prefer less DOF, which of course the 7D can't give you if your lens doesn't open further.

Other post nonsense theories about "per pixel sharpness" which is of course not relevant when comparing cameras and the prints they produce.

I've produced comparison prints from the 5D, 5D2 and 7D (along with the D700, my Mamiya RB67, and others). With the 5D and 7D, when comparing 16x24 prints and 20x30 prints, the 7D prints simply looked more detailed and more natural. The 60D would be the same in this regard.

Prints are important (I usually print around 24x36"), but so is screen viewing today. Many photos are never printed but viewed on a screen in Full HD or other, allowing to zoom in to see detail. Who hasn't showed their photos to friends or customers on a screen, sometimes zooming in to reveal small details...? ...and noise in a blue sky is unwelcome.

Don't bother buying an old relic simply because a few people are romantically attached to it for no other reason than it was the first FF DSLR they could afford on the used market.

Agreed, buy it because it produces great photos. Curiously enough I was always happy with the IQ of the 5D and am not always with the 7D. I replaced the 5D with a 5D2 which is fab too. I could well be romantically attached to the 5D, I was happy to sell it to someone I know who still produces great pics from it

I do love the qualities of my 7D, and it's fabulous with a long lens on it for the action and wildlife shots, but it does have that little bit of extra noise even at low iso - this will be of little matter to those who don't have a 5D/5D2 to compare it to.

P.S. The lenses and their cost can be a big issue when choosing/switching between formats.

qianp2k
Like?
In reply to Le Kilt, May 1, 2012

If you follow threads in this forum, Fuzzy is well known as a 7D fanboy. He never own and experience (playing a few hours is not counted) 5D and 5D2 but he took every chance to bash 5D/5D2. He has not yet to post his 7D landscape photos to show how it's better than 5D according to him. As you said with fast prime lenses and special lenses such as TS-E, 15mm f/2.8 fisheye, there are no counterpart from APS-C counterpart. I will challenge Fuzzy to post a 7D portrait in 100% crop for example as I did, or even downsampling to the same 12.8mp.

Le Kilt wrote:

Faintandfuzzy wrote:

--
Summit County Photog

7D benefits:

HD Video shooting
Live view
Better weather sealing
Better build
100% viewfinder coverage
Higher frame rate
Built in dust removal
Higher resolution
Equal DR
Built in level
Micro AF Adjust

5D benefits:

It's fullframe

But with the 5D you would most likely shoot at f/2.8 and might prefer less DOF, which of course the 7D can't give you if your lens doesn't open further.

Prints are important (I usually print around 24x36"), but so is screen viewing today. Many photos are never printed but viewed on a screen in Full HD or other, allowing to zoom in to see detail. Who hasn't showed their photos to friends or customers on a screen, sometimes zooming in to reveal small details...? ...and noise in a blue sky is unwelcome.

Agreed, buy it because it produces great photos. Curiously enough I was always happy with the IQ of the 5D and am not always with the 7D. I replaced the 5D with a 5D2 which is fab too. I could well be romantically attached to the 5D, I was happy to sell it to someone I know who still produces great pics from it

I do love the qualities of my 7D, and it's fabulous with a long lens on it for the action and wildlife shots, but it does have that little bit of extra noise even at low iso - this will be of little matter to those who don't have a 5D/5D2 to compare it to.

P.S. The lenses and their cost can be a big issue when choosing/switching between formats.

-- hide signature --
Faintandfuzzy
Like?
In reply to Le Kilt, May 1, 2012

Le Kilt wrote:

Faintandfuzzy wrote:

--
Summit County Photog

7D benefits:

HD Video shooting
Live view
Better weather sealing
Better build
100% viewfinder coverage
Higher frame rate
Built in dust removal
Higher resolution
Equal DR
Built in level
Micro AF Adjust

5D benefits:

It's fullframe

True, you may prefer less DOF...but I find the opposite to be true in most situations.

I don't have noise in my blue skies. Not sure why anyone would. I didn't even have noise in blue skies with my old 10D and D30....and the camera nowadays have far less noise than those old cameras.

Agreed. All of these cameras are quite capable of producing stellar results. My point for landscape work is that some people think because a camera is FF, it has haigher resolution than an APS-C camera with higher MP count. Case in point, despite what some like to claim, the resolution measurements between the 5D and 7D show a clear advantage in resolving power in favor of the 7D. This isn't open to question as it's a fact.

I've posted comparison tests here at DPReview between the Nikon D700 and the Pentax K-x....both 12mp, one FF and one an APS-C camera. In my tests, I confirmed that when processing raw files, there was no difference in a 16x24 print at iso 1600....and barely any at 3200. It just isn't an issue. I also posted a comparison that compared raw output from the 5D2 and 7D. At 16x24 and iso 100-800, no one could see a difference....no one. At base iso they were identical. Funny how some will them claim the old 5D outresolves the 7D. I guess that would mean they claim the 5D outresolves the 5D2 as well.

Regards,

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads