Thoughts about the Sony CLM-V55 monitor

Started Apr 30, 2012 | Discussions
chlamchowder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,068Gear list
Like?
Thoughts about the Sony CLM-V55 monitor
Apr 30, 2012

Recently, the rear LCD screen on my a580 broke. The backlight would come on, but nothing would display no matter what I did. I attempted to take the camera apart to reconnect cables, but after wasting a ridiculous amount of time making sure the connections from the main board to the LCD were good, the problem persisted. The warranty had expired, and Sony charges a flat fee of around $300 for repairs. That flat fee doesn't cover display parts or excessive wear, so I decided to put in an extra $99 to get the external monitor, which I could continue using with future cameras (and other products). Here are some observations about how it works with the a580, in case anyone is looking to buy one:

1. It works well in live view and normal (ovf) mode, but only the central 4:3 portion of the screen is used. This is true even if you set the camera to capture 16:9 images and engage live view mode. The entire screen also isn't used during video recording, although video playback nicely fills the screen.

2. Image review is nicely done, with the image filling up as much of the screen as possible. However, magnifying to check focus becomes a two step kludge. Hitting the magnification/AEL button normally goes down to pixel level, but to get to pixel level with the CLM-V55, the 1:1 pixel option must also be set on the monitor. However, if that option is set, you won't see the entire image on zooming back out. You end up having to deal with two sets of controls, which is very inconvenient.

3. Peaking isn't that useful. It only works if there are high contrast edges, and many subjects aren't that high in contrast. For accurate manual focus, simply magnifying the live view feed still does a better job.

4. The screen is big and heavy. With a small lens (like the 50mm f/1.7) mounted on the camera, the camera feels slightly unbalanced. I also feel like I'm attracting an unnecessary amount of attention when using that big screen.

5. The swivel mount is very nice. And guess what? There aren't any cables going through it...:)

chlamchowder's gear list:chlamchowder's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Nikon D600 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +8 more
Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads