UGH! What happened to my NEX-5n Yesterday!?!?

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions
Zader
Regular MemberPosts: 177
Like?
UGH! What happened to my NEX-5n Yesterday!?!?
Apr 29, 2012

Took my NEX-5n (with flash and DIY bouncer from that one thread) along with my 18-55 kit to my nephews party.

Everything was going pretty fantastic until it was time to cut the cake. With the flash (and bouncer) up, and around the long end (30-55mm range), I started snapping pics (pretty quickly, one after the other). Oddly, after a few snaps, the camera was no longer taking photos when I would press the shutter button!

I believe my technique was correct, I half pressed to (centre) focus, box turned green, and I proceeded to press the shutter button. No picture! After a couple of presses, it would snap, though the problem would start again after a few more. Anyone know what I might have done wrong?

I have attached one of the few photos I got in that specific situation to get an idea of the conditions and EXIF (A priority). This was after pressing the shutter at least 5 or 6 times.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mswlogo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029
Like?
Re: UGH! What happened to my NEX-5n Yesterday!?!?
In reply to Zader, Apr 29, 2012

My guess is it was still buffering out the images to SD card.

How fast and full is your SD card.

You might get the pics off and reformat it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
BlackArrow
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?

At some point the flash will have to recharge and this is why you cannot take photos for a short period. Check the manual, there was some indication on the lcd showing when it is charging.

BlackArrow's gear list:BlackArrow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
SandyKHo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,503Gear list
Like?
In reply to mswlogo, Apr 29, 2012

I agree...it sounds like it was buffering. What class of card do you have? If it's an older, say class 2 or 4, maybe you just need a faster card. And if you are shooting RAW you can't get many shots before it has to write to the card which slows it down.
--

God gave us an incredible world. See it, hear it, Touch it, taste it, smell it, PHOTOGRAPH IT!

SandyKHo's gear list:SandyKHo's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-5N Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO +12 more
GingerBread
Regular MemberPosts: 365Gear list
Like?
In reply to SandyKHo, Apr 29, 2012

Eithering buffering or flash recharging/flash overheating issue. You need a pro flash if you are going to shoot at a high frame rate, and even then you can overheat the flash and literally melt it unless it automatically shuts itself down long enough to cool.
--
Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +2 more
Zader
Like?

mswlogo wrote:

My guess is it was still buffering out the images to SD card.

How fast and full is your SD card.

You might get the pics off and reformat it.

SandyKHo wrote:

I agree...it sounds like it was buffering. What class of card do you have? If it's an older, say class 2 or 4, maybe you just need a faster card. And if you are shooting RAW you can't get many shots before it has to write to the card which slows it down.

Thanks for the replies. I have a class 10 16GB Dane-Elec Pro200x (30mb/s read, 20mb/s write) and I was shooting JPEG, so I doubt it was a buffering issue.

BlackArrow wrote:

At some point the flash will have to recharge and this is why you cannot take photos for a short period. Check the manual, there was some indication on the lcd showing when it is charging.

I wasn't aware of the flash recharging issue, that's probably what it was as I've only noticed the issue using the flash. Goes to show I should have read the manual. I'll take a look at it to see what the indicator looks like.

GingerBread wrote:

Eithering buffering or flash recharging/flash overheating issue. You need a pro flash if you are going to shoot at a high frame rate, and even then you can overheat the flash and literally melt it unless it automatically shuts itself down long enough to cool.
--
Ging

Would the HVL-F20S solve the issue?

darkref
Contributing MemberPosts: 661
Like?

This happened to me today.

It turned out the timer was on.

Zader
Like?

For anyone reading this thread in the future, the orange ball next to the flash icon on the LCD will be blinking when the flash is recharging.

When it stops blinking, you're good to take another photo.

mu55
Senior MemberPosts: 1,248Gear list
Like?
In reply to Zader, Apr 30, 2012

Definitely the flash recharging, especially as you were bouncing, it needs to output alot more power than it would if shooting directly.

I find it to be quite a good little flash in terms of recharge speed.

-- hide signature --

mu55's gear list:mu55's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-XS1
twald
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?

Was the green focus dot on? Were you focusing at the minimum focus distance? There have been several complaints about the 5N locking up after unsuccessfully trying to focus on something nearer than the minimum focus distance. It has happened to me on a few occasions. When it happens the green focus dot in the lower left corner of the LCD remains on. My remedy was to halfway remove the lens to break the electrical contacts and then re-install it.

twald
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?
In reply to twald, Apr 30, 2012

From your description, it does seem like it was the flash recharging, as others have pointed out.

Zader
Like?
In reply to twald, Apr 30, 2012

twald wrote:

Was the green focus dot on? Were you focusing at the minimum focus distance? There have been several complaints about the 5N locking up after unsuccessfully trying to focus on something nearer than the minimum focus distance. It has happened to me on a few occasions. When it happens the green focus dot in the lower left corner of the LCD remains on. My remedy was to halfway remove the lens to break the electrical contacts and then re-install it.

This case was definitely the flash recharging. But what you mention has happened to me before, especially with my SEL55210 (1 metre MFD). I usually just turn the camera off and back on, though your remedy seems a little quicker. Thanks.

Fredy Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,235
Like?

The same thing happened to me a few months ago outside without a flash. I thought there was something wrong with it and I would have to take it for repair. Did all the right things like taking out the battery etc. Nothing worked. Walked back to the car and just as a last ditch effort tried again and it worked and I have never had the problem again. Maybe the camera had heated up or something as I had taken a lot of photos in a short period of time and have heard of this happening taking video.
--
fredyr

swixtwix
Regular MemberPosts: 265Gear list
Like?
In reply to Fredy Ross, May 1, 2012

That's happened to me also... in my case it was user error. Somehow the camera was put into timer mode... DOH!

swixtwix's gear list:swixtwix's gear list
Sony Alpha 7
Chris_Downunder
Contributing MemberPosts: 604Gear list
Like?
In reply to darkref, May 1, 2012

And oddly enough it happened to me the other day when I was taking photos in complete darkness with the flash. Somehow I set the focus mode to spot and it couldn't focus on the subject as it wasn't focussing on the same place as the focus assist lamp. It just wouldn't fire. It wasn't until I got home and looked at the settings that I worked it out. Set it back to centre focus and the camera and flash worked fine.

Probably a good idea to keep all these points in mind when this sort of thing happens again. It's bound to be one of them.

Chris

Chris_Downunder's gear list:Chris_Downunder's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads