New X-100 owner

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions
Frederico70x7
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
New X-100 owner
Apr 29, 2012

Just bought an X-100 last Friday (April) and it already has firmware 1.21. Given that this new update was announced on April 5, mine must have left factory very recently. Should I assume it won't ha e the sticky aperture blade issue?

To excited now and am looking for accessories, e.g. Carrying case, fitted case, wrist strap etc. Any suggestions?

Frederico70x7's gear list:Frederico70x7's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +20 more
Quash
Contributing MemberPosts: 632
Like?
Re: New X-100 owner
In reply to Frederico70x7, Apr 30, 2012

I know that some local Fuji distributors update the firmware of cameras received from Japan prior to shipping to retail.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mtwinkles
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?

I also purchased my x100 last week and it came with 1.21. This was directly from Amazon.com so I doubt they would have opened the box, upgraded the firmware, and factory sealed the box again.

Frederico70x7
Regular MemberPosts: 163Gear list
Like?
In reply to mtwinkles, Apr 30, 2012

Let's cross fingers and hope for the best!

For those unfortunate owners, how long since you'd used the camera did the SAB problem occurred? Or it could happen in new camera?

Frederico70x7's gear list:Frederico70x7's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +20 more
pkincy
Contributing MemberPosts: 797
Like?

I don't think there is a pattern.

Some have it soon and others (me) after quite a time. My X100 will be back tomorrow and it is about a year old and has gotten a lot of use.

Perry

mickcivic
Contributing MemberPosts: 550Gear list
Like?
In reply to pkincy, Apr 30, 2012

Very interesting.

How many clicks do you suppose you had on your X100 when it developed the SAB problem?

Was it under warranty when the problem developed?

Also, any insight into how the warranty process works when you initiated the repair with Fuji would be nice.

I just bought a 2nd hand x100, under warranty with the original proof of purchase and I'm curious what the warranty process is if I ever need to use the warranty.

Thanks!

pkincy wrote:

I don't think there is a pattern.

Some have it soon and others (me) after quite a time. My X100 will be back tomorrow and it is about a year old and has gotten a lot of use.

Perry

mickcivic's gear list:mickcivic's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Najinsky
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,597
Like?

Frederico70x7 wrote:

For those unfortunate owners, how long since you'd used the camera did the SAB problem occurred? Or it could happen in new camera?

Exposure 3,234 was the first I can say with certainty that had a SAB issue. It presents itself as an exposure issue, but there are a number of non-SAB related exposure traps with the X100:

• Using spot metering through the OVF where parallax errors will meter a different spot than you see (Fuji advise against using spot metering with the OVF).

• Shutter speed limit at wider Apertures (1/1000s at F2, 1/2000 at F2.8)

• Auto ISO (possibly invoked with AutoDR) leading to above limit

So if you have a single shot with an exposure issue, it could be a regular metering error (a user error which can happen with any camera), or the above issues which don't indicate SAB.

For me, exposures 3,234 , 3,235 and 3,236 had exposures inconsistent with the recorded EXIF shooting information (3,235 was more overexposed even though the EXIF showed it had received less exposure than 3,234) and was the first conclusive sign that I had SAB. I'd had exposure issues before this, but only on single shots that could theoretically have been user error, so while it may have occurred earlier, I can say with with certainty it had occurred by 3,234/5.

I've had it more frequently since, but for the last month I've tried shooting in Program Mode (both Aperture and Shutter set to A) and the issue has stopped occurring. My best guess on this is the firmware uses a different metering technique in Program mode than it does in Aperture mode.

The following firmware behaviour would explain it, although it is sheer guess work:

Program mode probably first chooses an Aperture that is also suitable for focussing, sets this and then focuses and meters. The Aperture fails to close to the correct size, but as this happens before metering, the metering chooses the correct shutter speed for the actual (stuck/true) aperture. The exposure would be good, but the true Aperture size may not be that indicated in the EXIF.

Aperture mode probably meters with a default Aperture (also chosen for focusing) and then calculates what the required shutter speed should be for your chosen Aperture. The Aperture fails to close to the chosen Aperture, but metering has already occurred and so too much light enters during the exposure time for the previously calculated shutter speed.

If this turns out to be true, some people who mostly shoot in Program mode may have the issue without realising it.

However, it also means the issue could be fixed in firmware, albeit with a slightly slower operation in Aperture mode. This wouldn't be a true fix in that the Aperture would still be failing to close to the selected setting, but it might be a lifeline to prevent ruined exposures for those who get the issue on a 2nd hand unit or when the issue happens outside of warranty.

-Najinsky

IKB
IKB
Senior MemberPosts: 2,186Gear list
Like?
In reply to mickcivic, Apr 30, 2012

About 400 shots each time.

1. Call Fuji service, tell them what the problem is.
2. They send you a pre-paid transport box.
3. Post the camera to them.
4. Wait a few days for the fixed camera to return. Turn around is under a week.

-- hide signature --

Malcy

IKB's gear list:IKB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX2 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
TDK74055
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to Frederico70x7, May 1, 2012

Frederico70x7 wrote:

I received my X100 05/2011 and the SAB problem showed up in 08/2011 after about 1200 exposures. After Fujifilm NJ replaced the lens assembly in late 08/2011, it has over 6000 exposures in all types of conditions, rain, fog, cold, heat, humidity with no problems so far and hundreds of great photos. The X100 is a great travel camera. I've gotten some surprisingly good photos shooting from a fast moving tour bus through dirty tinted windows with only minimal PP of WB & removal of color cast due to the tinted windows. My experience is that the X100 AF is fast enough for my needs. I'm not a pro photographer, just enjoy capturing good photos during our travels. The X100 can be frustrating at times, but every once in a while it captures a scene in a way that no other camera I have used could duplicate.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads