Panny 20mm on OM-D: AF speed?

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions
modafoca
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Panny 20mm on OM-D: AF speed?
Apr 29, 2012

It'd be great if some of you chime in who have used the Panny 20mm on the new OM-D. Seems the only knock on this wonderfully rated lens is AF speed. Is it better on the OM-D or am I an idiot and the body can't make a difference with AF speed on a lens? Thanks!

DekHog
Regular MemberPosts: 247Gear list
Like?
Re: Panny 20mm on OM-D: AF speed?
In reply to modafoca, Apr 29, 2012

Good you should ask this, as I just tried mine this morning! I wasn't really expecting anything different from my PL2, but the reality is that it's much, much quicker - not in the same league as the kit lens, but I'm actually happy with the 20mm now for focus speed, and I never thought I'd say that - I was nearly pulling the trigger on a 25mm, but have changed my mind now......

DekHog's gear list:DekHog's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kenw
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,183Gear list
Like?
In reply to modafoca, Apr 29, 2012

modafoca wrote:

Is it better on the OM-D

Better than on what? I think it really depends on what camera you are comparing to.

or am I an idiot and the body can't make a difference with AF speed on a lens?

No, you certainly aren't an idiot! The body can make a difference for sure, but there seems to be diminishing returns with certain lenses. The 20/1.7 seems faster on my GH2 and OM-D than it did on the G1. Apparently it was very slow on the earliest Olympus bodies, but I don't have those to compare. On the GH2 and OM-D it is certainly still slower than say the 25/1.4 or 14/2.5.

So yes, the bodies can make lenses focus faster (typically because of a faster sensor read out) but they can only make them so fast (because the focus motor only moves so fast for a given lens).
--
Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +25 more
modafoca
Like?
In reply to kenw, Apr 29, 2012

Thanks to both of you. I'm happy to see the 20mm performing better on the OM-D. If anyone else is using the Panny 20 on the OM-D please let us know. I am considering it vs the much cheaper (and available) Panny 14, which I know has faster AF but isn't near as good in low light, at least according to reviews. Maybe the OM-D can also help the Panny 14 in low light but, in the end, the f/1.7 vs f/2.5 is a decent difference, I know...

modafoca
Like?
In reply to modafoca, Apr 30, 2012

Anyone else?

Gunsmoked
Junior MemberPosts: 37
Like?

I don't have an OMD yet, but I do have an E-PL1 and an E-P3. The difference with the 20 f1.7 between them is amazing. From a clunky, slow, and noisy lens... I was not happy with... ( E-PL1) ,... NOW transformed to a lens I am quite happy with (E-P3).
It should be EVEN BETTER on the OMD.
So yes... a newer body changes the focus speed and usability.

I also have the PL 25 f1.4. I bought it because I was not happy with the 20. I intended to sell the 20. If I had known the vast difference in function the 2 bodies would make with the 20... I would have not bought the PL 25 f1.4. Bodies do make that much difference! Sigh...

It also does not have the rattlesnake problem the 25 has, which can be quite annoying. And of course it is also smaller and less expensive. On the newer bodies, it is.. of course not as fast as the newer lenses, but it is quite fast enough now for me!!!
The difference is so slight.

I have also found that (on my copies at least), it locks focus more reliably than many of my other lenses, so it does not hunt as much, making it even faster in use.
The 20 f1.7t is not however as good for video, if you do much of that.
Just my 2 cents worth...
Blessings,
Dan

Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
In reply to Gunsmoked, Apr 30, 2012

Gunsmoked wrote:

I don't have an OMD yet, but I do have an E-PL1 and an E-P3. The difference with the 20 f1.7 between them is amazing. From a clunky, slow, and noisy lens... I was not happy with... ( E-PL1) ,... NOW transformed to a lens I am quite happy with (E-P3).
It should be EVEN BETTER on the OMD.
So yes... a newer body changes the focus speed and usability.

I also have the PL 25 f1.4. I bought it because I was not happy with the 20. I intended to sell the 20. If I had known the vast difference in function the 2 bodies would make with the 20... I would have not bought the PL 25 f1.4. Bodies do make that much difference! Sigh...

It also does not have the rattlesnake problem the 25 has, which can be quite annoying. And of course it is also smaller and less expensive. On the newer bodies, it is.. of course not as fast as the newer lenses, but it is quite fast enough now for me!!!
The difference is so slight.

I have also found that (on my copies at least), it locks focus more reliably than many of my other lenses, so it does not hunt as much, making it even faster in use.

. . . I've used the 20/1.7 on both my E-M5 and E-PL3 but haven't done any careful comparisons. It is quite fast on the E-M5 and probably a little faster than on the E-PL3 but the difference must be rather small.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
g2van
Contributing MemberPosts: 660
Like?
In reply to DekHog, Apr 30, 2012

Yes I confirm that: faster on OMD than EPL2. On EPL2 amybe half the time it will focus once and be spot altho slower; the other half the time it will focus back and forth then confirm. On OMD the focus is just spot on and faster. I did a casual test on near/far and bright/dark subjects. Now I'm really glad I held onto the 20/1.7 -- it's a great sharp lens and it's the smallest lens for me that would make it a quick grab take anywhere kit that can fit into a jacket pocket easily.

DekHog wrote:

Good you should ask this, as I just tried mine this morning! I wasn't really expecting anything different from my PL2, but the reality is that it's much, much quicker - not in the same league as the kit lens, but I'm actually happy with the 20mm now for focus speed, and I never thought I'd say that - I was nearly pulling the trigger on a 25mm, but have changed my mind now......

Marc
Regular MemberPosts: 231Gear list
Like?

Have a look at this video:

http://youtu.be/ICfJNokJhMo?t=31s

Marc's gear list:Marc's gear list
Canon PowerShot S30 Canon EOS D30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 28-105mm f/4.0-5.6 USM +10 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,146Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marc, Apr 30, 2012

Thank you, Marc
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,058Gear list
Like?
Quick enough for me.

I cannot compare with this lens on any other camera, but in my opinion the 20mm (on my new E-M5) focuses quickly, but not quite as fast as the kit lens.

All in all I'm very happy with the 20mm because of how small it is and how incredibly sharp.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/ .

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
modafoca
Like?
Re: Quick enough for me.
In reply to Paul De Bra, Apr 30, 2012

This is all very helpful...thanks again everyone...

mister_roboto
Regular MemberPosts: 295
Like?
Re: Quick enough for me.

I have the 20mm, and went from E-P2 to E-M5.

The auto focus is faster... but not really all that much, it's still slow to AF like on the Pen 1+2. I imagine it AF about as fast on the E-M5 as it does on the E-P3.

It's one of those lenses I wish would get a MkII treatment and get the internal focusing treatment like the 14mm f/2.5, I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads