Dont buy a 'first generation' product ...

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions
drummerman
Regular MemberPosts: 297
Like?
Dont buy a 'first generation' product ...
Apr 29, 2012

Whilst it seems curlish to call the OM-D first gen considering Olympus'es experience, it is nevertheless a foray for the company into new territory rather than an evolution of previously used one.

For that reason I would not buy this model but wait for a MKII or at the very least wait until some of the inevitable problems have been ironed out with firmware updates. I would advise the same for any totally new model of any make.

regards

gulffish
Senior MemberPosts: 2,169Gear list
Like?
Re: Dont buy a 'first generation' product ...
In reply to drummerman, Apr 29, 2012

Different strokes!
--
Kirk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,567Gear list
Like?
What, no thank you?

It's the first adopters who provide the cautious the information they need to make their purchasing decisions.

You're welcome.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?

drummerman wrote:

Whilst it seems curlish to call the OM-D first gen considering Olympus'es experience, it is nevertheless a foray for the company into new territory rather than an evolution of previously used one.

For that reason I would not buy this model but wait for a MKII or at the very least wait until some of the inevitable problems have been ironed out with firmware updates. I would advise the same for any totally new model of any make.

Yes drummerman, now we know how you think about this. It's risky living at the edge, no?

I can't help think that if everybody were just like you in this case we wouldn't have entered digital imaging at all by now. We would all just wait for somebody else to make it happen, lol.

Really, your message is of great value for all cowards; now they can think they aren't cowards but very rational. You can even pity folks being early adopters, slowly shake your heads (slowly!, we don't know what happen to a man shaking his head fast) and feel wise.

Jonas

Jason Edwards
Senior MemberPosts: 2,679
Like?
If everyone thought like you.......

there would be no 2nd generation.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

My opinion is just as intelligent and invited as yours is. Consider that.

I think you are trolling. You are in a technology forum for photography. With opinions like yours, we wouldn't be reading your "opinion" on a computer screen now would we, as we would all be sending each other papyrus scrolls on carrier pigeons.

What are your qualifications. Are you an engineer for Olympus? Panasonic? Etc?

Most of the tech in the EM-5 is evolved from current tech. It is pen innards in a new body with a vastly improved and redesigned IS. It's the new stuff that is exciting and makes people desire this camera. If I wanted to buy a previous gen camera, I would do that. I can almost guarantee you that the II is going to have something "new". So with your logic, do I wait for III? V?

So please, unless you are contributing, do everyone a favor and write it down on your first gen IPad instead, ie your spiral notebook.

dpalugyay's gear list:dpalugyay's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
drummerman
Like?
In reply to dpalugyay, Apr 29, 2012

Lol, fair enough.

I'm not trolling by the way but at a grand a pop I'd much rather you do all the 'road testing'.

But I am all the way behind you of course

regards

John Koch
Regular MemberPosts: 444
Like?
Re: If everyone thought like you.......
In reply to Jason Edwards, Apr 29, 2012

Jason Edwards wrote:

Wrong. If suckers stopped being guinea pigs for ill-tested products, manufacturers would do more alpha and beta testing. Some might even read buyer reports and figure out ways to make stuff better.

It is true, though, that the is no reward to "perfect" stuff that sells for under $500, yields a profit margin under 10%, is obsolete in one year, and whose buyers are mainly chumps impressed by megapixel count. Might pricey Leicas therefore have higher buyer satisfaction? Or is any high-priced good assured of higher buyer satisfaction simply because the buyers can't swallow the idea that they over-paid?

lsrmz
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?

Okay.

Oh wait, I already bought it.

Lori

Jason Edwards
Senior MemberPosts: 2,679
Like?
In reply to John Koch, Apr 29, 2012

Your wrong. You can test stuff all you want but you will never make it perfect. And unless its perfect in every single way, you will have people complain and call others suckers for buying something they want. There are just too many variables.

Jason

John Koch wrote:

Jason Edwards wrote:

Wrong. If suckers stopped being guinea pigs for ill-tested products, manufacturers would do more alpha and beta testing. Some might even read buyer reports and figure out ways to make stuff better.

It is true, though, that the is no reward to "perfect" stuff that sells for under $500, yields a profit margin under 10%, is obsolete in one year, and whose buyers are mainly chumps impressed by megapixel count. Might pricey Leicas therefore have higher buyer satisfaction? Or is any high-priced good assured of higher buyer satisfaction simply because the buyers can't swallow the idea that they over-paid?

ttan98
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000
Like?
Re: I believe in waiting for the design to settle down..
In reply to Bob Tullis, Apr 29, 2012

before buying it. On top of that you get a better quality camera.

2 very good examples are, firstly E-PL1 has too many irritating short falls, e.g. focusing in low light, slow focusing speed, blurring at certain speeds, etc, E-PL2 and subsequent models at least solved the first 2 annoyances. The other example is NEX 3, the interface is a real annoyance, NEX C3 and 5N are real improvements on the NEX3 and 5 in term of user interface and slight improvement in image quality.

muddyfunster
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?

i definitely would avoid the first production run of a new Nikon camera, and anything new off Sony
--
the night is dark.....and full of terriers

thinkfat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,184Gear list
Like?
Uh, what?

Yeah, the OM-D is a "foray into new territory" for Olympus. How, exactly? For the 5-axis IBIS? I'm not getting this idea. The OM-D is a top notch camera, and a beautiful one, too. But it is not a disruption to everything Olympus did with digital cameras before.

-- hide signature --

Everybody loves gadgets, until they try to make them
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thinkfat
http://thinkfat.blogspot.com

thinkfat's gear list:thinkfat's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM +10 more
Lights
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,378Gear list
Like?
Re:I know you're right but....

It's sooooo difficult.

Not that I bought an OMD, but did just buy a brand new model Sigma 19mm sight unseen.

I've often heard never buy a brand's first model, maybe the second, maybe the third...but after that the expediters start doing their work to make things cheaper.

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,089Gear list
Like?
This is what warranties are for

Might even make an exception and go for the extended this time around, because there is new tech in there that has not yet stood the test of time.
--
Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
drummerman
Like?
In reply to Jason Edwards, Apr 29, 2012

No problem and I hope you enjoy it. By the way, nobody called anyone 'sucker' ...

Every new product needs its crash test dummies.

Personally, I'd rather wait a few months and in the unlikely event the product is perfect ... save myself a few pennies in the process but there will always be some which can't wait and have to be first for whatever reason.

My original post merely reflect how I do things but appreciate not everyone will agree.

regards

Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,089Gear list
Like?
on the other hand
In reply to Art_P, Apr 29, 2012

I bought a 12-60 from the first run... held together until last fall before needing service. It was a later batch that had the faulty SWD motor- probably someone looking to shave costs.
--
Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,167Gear list
Like?

I suspect most issues for new products are because of manufacturing issues, especially if it involves new techology.

It probably takes as much effort to develop efficient and cheap ways of making it as it does to develop the techology in the first place.

And if the product proves very popular it will take time to perfect the QC procedures and still be able to ramp up production.

Jonas B
Forum ProPosts: 14,596
Like?

drummerman wrote:

Lol, fair enough.

I'm not trolling by the way but at a grand a pop I'd much rather you do all the 'road testing'.

But I am all the way behind you of course

Fair enough, right back at you.

I wish I hadn't been that harsh in my first reply. I know I shouldn't take part of threads like this one.

Jonas

Brian Mosley
Forum ProPosts: 20,406Gear list
Like?
First generation products I still use...

Let's see, Olympus E-400, Sony R1 (never got a second generation version! lol), Panasonic LX1, Olympus E-P1...

Sold my Sigma DP1 and Panasonic G1... can't always get it right, but it's fun when you do

Don't be such a wuss, do your research and trust your judgement!

Brian
--
Join our free worldwide support network here :
http://www.ukphotosafari.org/join-the-ukpsg/
UK, Peak District Local Olympus Safari Group : http://snipurl.com/bqtd7-ukpsg
Keep up with me here : http://twitter.com/alert_bri

Brian Mosley's gear list:Brian Mosley's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads