Wrong Forum. Clear the air?

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions
nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,880Gear list
Like?
Wrong Forum. Clear the air?
Apr 29, 2012

Perhaps we could discuss this, as it seems to be a common and sometimes heated topic. Hopefully we can keep it civil and productive.

Facts: “Nikon Talk” is poorly named. After clicking on the forum title it's very easy to miss the fine print that reads, “Welcome to the Nikon Talk Forum, the place to discuss Nikon compact digital cameras.” There are forums that are specific for Nikon DSLR's as well as “Nikon SLR Lens Talk.”

My opinions: I simply don't care where anyone posts anything. I believe that if you answer a post but not to address the subject, you're either posting to help or hurt. When I let someone know they posted in the wrong forum, it's just to help. I put myself in the OP's position. Let's say I made this easy-to-make mistake. Now I might get one or two replies from people who probably have more knowledge about compact cameras than my DSLR (if I get any replies at all.) There's no doubt in my mind that I would appreciate having someone keep me from making the same mistake again.

Even if the post is just to show off a photo with the OP's new D700, it's still in the “Nikon compact camera” forum and few here will care to comment. He can get more (and more relevant) comments in the D700 forum. Whatever the OP posts about, I doubt very much if he would post here knowing that the forum is relative to compact cameras.

I usually have better things to do, but when I check in and see someone made an error, I think my time is well spent to steer that person in the right direction. Lets face it, this isn't Grand Central Station – most any time there are five days worth of posts on the first page. It's easy to pick out the one or two who failed to read the fine print. But I don't usually have the time to complement them on the photo, critique it, and politely explain that they are welcome here anytime but they might want to consider the appropriate forum next time. I'm not rude, but “to-the-point” may seem rude to some people. That's your issue, not mine.

I will continue to let people know they are not in the best forum for their subject. My opinion is that it's hurtful to just ignore the post and allow the OP to wonder why no one cares to reply.

-- hide signature --

Larry
http://www.pbase.com/fernley

I'm experimenting with Quantum Physics and I just discovered that I can completely destr

Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ehazera
Senior MemberPosts: 1,947
Like?
Re: Wrong Forum. Clear the air?
In reply to nevada5, Apr 29, 2012

Two simple adjustments will solve the problem.
1. Rename the forum.
2. Appoint a forum moderator.
Failure to do this will doom us forever.
Long live Photonet.com.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
epo001
Regular MemberPosts: 339
Like?
In reply to nevada5, Apr 29, 2012

The forums are poorly named but even if the names were changed many people would still blindly click on the first thing saying "Nikon" even if it was "Nikon compact talk".

The real issue are those who think telling people they have have posted to the wrong forum is itself some kind of problem. That is what turns a civil "try elsewhere" into some kind of idiotic "who are you? how dare you tell others what to do?" exchange.

The Nikon forums aren't as bad as, say, the Fuji forums but the SN ratio here is pretty poor, it's how DPR is. The most civil (and pointless) forum is the Leica one, no new toys to obsess over but hordes of retired dentists showing their mediocre snapshots to each other. Do the Canon forums have this problem?

DPR value page impressions and seem to want the forum names the way they are.

One technical fix which might work is to have a mandatory menu at the top of new posts which require you to select the forums area you are posting to, thus even if you post in Nikon Talk you would select "I want to talk about Nikon compact cameras".

In brief, nothing will happen, people will mis-post, and if you try to correct them others will get snotty about it. It is the way DPR is.

jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,085
Like?
In reply to epo001, Apr 29, 2012

epo001 wrote:

The real issue are those who think telling people they have have posted to the wrong forum is itself some kind of problem. That is what turns a civil "try elsewhere" into some kind of idiotic "who are you? how dare you tell others what to do?" exchange.

Having just recently started perusing the Nikon Talk forum (occasioned by a P7100 purchase), I haven't yet seen the "how dare you" exchanges, but I can see how they might start. The OP concedes that his "to the point" advice on which forum to go to can seem rude to some, but that that's not his problem. Well, fine and dandy, but it does make this a less pleasant place to visit. Worse, and not that I've seen the OP do this, is when people who do take time to answer an off-topic question are also told that this is not the right forum for offering this advice. Again, it just creates an unfriendly, seemingly confrontational environment. Yes, I know there are other forums to visit, and I will; just thought I'd mention it as part of clearing the air.

toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,071
Like?
In reply to jrtrent, Apr 29, 2012

Sometimes when somebody posts a DSLR-related question here and I respond with "Welcome to the Nikon Talk Forum, the place to discuss Nikon compact digital cameras" which is, in fact, the truth, a large percentage of thread starters say "woops, my bad, thanks for the headsup".

A small percentage get all PO'd at me (or others who might reply as I did) saying "hey, nobody told me!".

An even smaller percentage of others go into attack mode at those of us who point out the thread starter might have more luck on a forum dedicated to the question they asked.

IOW, it's sort of a microcosm of reactions from the range of personalities we have here. Everyone's going to take anything that anybody says differently.

jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,085
Like?
In reply to toomanycanons, Apr 29, 2012

toomanycanons wrote:

Sometimes when somebody posts a DSLR-related question here and I respond with "Welcome to the Nikon Talk Forum, the place to discuss Nikon compact digital cameras" which is, in fact, the truth, a large percentage of thread starters say "woops, my bad, thanks for the headsup".

That's good. When I first read your usual response, I wondered now many might miss the operative word "compact," and just think, "What's he trying to say? I do want to discuss Nikon digital cameras."

A small percentage get all PO'd at me (or others who might reply as I did) saying "hey, nobody told me!".

An even smaller percentage of others go into attack mode at those of us who point out the thread starter might have more luck on a forum dedicated to the question they asked.

IOW, it's sort of a microcosm of reactions from the range of personalities we have here. Everyone's going to take anything that anybody says differently.

I think differences in wording might also evoke different reactions. Compare this response from nevada5:

subject title: A better forum for your question?

post: You'll get some responses here in "the place to discuss Nikon compact digital cameras" but you would likely do better posting in one of the Nikon DSLR forums. Good luck.

with this slightly different verion, also from nevada5:

suject title: Wrong forum

post: This is "the place to discuss Nikon compact digital cameras." The forum for the D700 is here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1021

or this one from you, in response to the subject title "So many choices could really use some advise":

My "advise" is to ask your questions in the proper forums. Really.

The first comes across as a friendly, helpful re-direction; the second could be easily misinterpreted; that one example of yours, if you weren't trying to be belittling, would probably require things the internet doesn't provide (vocal inflection, facial expression) to come across as intended.

brianj
Forum ProPosts: 12,465Gear list
Like?
In reply to nevada5, Apr 30, 2012

At least you nikonians have more than one forum, we poor samsungites have just one forum for all types of camera, and its a real mess.

Oh to be as lucky as you.

Brian

brianj's gear list:brianj's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
jimb2
Regular MemberPosts: 123
Like?
In reply to nevada5, May 1, 2012

Nevada,

Your reply to the person asking about cleaning his DSLRs was perfect. You pointed him to the right forum, your tone was clearly helpful (even humorous!), and it was awesome. My hat is off to you!

nevada5
Like?
In reply to jimb2, May 1, 2012

jimb2 wrote:

Nevada,

Your reply to the person asking about cleaning his DSLRs was perfect. You pointed him to the right forum, your tone was clearly helpful (even humorous!), and it was awesome. My hat is off to you!

When I have the time, it's always a pleasure. If I'm in a hurry - well, keep your hat close by.

-- hide signature --

Larry

I'm experimenting with Quantum Physics and I just discovered that I can completely destr

lmtfa
Contributing MemberPosts: 821Gear list
Like?
Re: Wrong Forum + Off Topic (See Rules)
In reply to nevada5, May 1, 2012

One of the biggest complainers of "Wrong Forum" rule and yet you break two posting rules. Not even a mea culpa but a justification of your attitude.

"Off Topic - Please keep all non-photography-related messages to the Off Topic forum. Off Topic messages (considered those not directly related to digital photography) may be moved to the Off Topic forum or deleted if posted in one of the main forums. Repeated posting of Off Topic messages in the wrong forums can lead to a ban."
--

(i)lmtfa added to amino acid for molecular biological studies

lmtfa's gear list:lmtfa's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
Augustin Man
Senior MemberPosts: 2,934Gear list
Like?
In reply to lmtfa, May 1, 2012

lmtfa wrote:

One of the biggest complainers of "Wrong Forum" rule and yet you break two posting rules. Not even a mea culpa but a justification of your attitude.

"Off Topic - Please keep all non-photography-related messages to the Off Topic forum. Off Topic messages (considered those not directly related to digital photography) may be moved to the Off Topic forum or deleted if posted in one of the main forums. Repeated posting of Off Topic messages in the wrong forums can lead to a ban."
--

I'm sorry that I can't share your point and let me explain why: for me "Off Topic" or better "Open talk" means general issues, like "Which sensors are the best?" or "Photography, more technique or more art?" etc.,etc., but this is a problem of the NIKON forums (e.g. without any significance for Samsung forum members); probably it exists also for other cameras with multiple forums, but that we can't know for sure...

Probably I'm wrong, but that's how I see the subject.

Happy shooting,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Olympus SP-810 UZ Nikon Coolpix P510 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
phred14
Regular MemberPosts: 174Gear list
Like?
In reply to ehazera, May 1, 2012

There's another solution... Give up.

Change the description of this forum to allow "general Nikon talk," exactly what people think it's for when they see the list without reading the description. Then create a new forum, "Nikon Compacts" or something like that. Of course I have no idea how any of this would be implemented within DPReview's ways of doing business.

phred14's gear list:phred14's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P10 Nikon Coolpix P7100 +1 more
nevada5
Like?
In reply to lmtfa, May 1, 2012

lmtfa wrote:

--

Please feel free to point out an example of where I complained. Once again, the intent is important (helping, or hurting). I believe that steering someone in the right direction is helping. When you posted here (quoted above) what was your intent?
--
Larry

nevada5
Like?
In reply to phred14, May 1, 2012

phred14 wrote:

There's another solution... Give up.

Change the description of this forum to allow "general Nikon talk," exactly what people think it's for when they see the list without reading the description. Then create a new forum, "Nikon Compacts" or something like that. Of course I have no idea how any of this would be implemented within DPReview's ways of doing business.

Of course you're right - but DPR doesn't seem interested in changing the description of the forum. I have requested this twice and others have stated they have as well.
--
Larry

lmtfa
Contributing MemberPosts: 821Gear list
Like?
In reply to nevada5, May 3, 2012

nevada5 wrote:

lmtfa wrote:

--

Please feel free to point out an example of where I complained. Once again, the intent is important (helping, or hurting). I believe that steering someone in the right direction is helping. When you posted here (quoted above) what was your intent?
--
Larry

Anyone can click on your name and see at least 6 chastising members. My intent was for you to follow your own advise. Next time someone posts a question maybe you will think twice before you insult them. Like, answer their question and then point out the correct forum.

-- hide signature --

lmtfa's gear list:lmtfa's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads