D4 - best walk around lens for a Disney Vacation

Started Apr 29, 2012 | Discussions
khambhatta
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
D4 - best walk around lens for a Disney Vacation
Apr 29, 2012

My D4 just arrived & I will be in vacation at Disney for a week. I am contemplating taking my D4 along and wanted to know which lens/lenses would be the best to bring along.

Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SRS_Photography
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
Re: D4 - best walk around lens for a Disney Vacation
In reply to khambhatta, Apr 29, 2012

300 mm f2.8 is the best....

SRS_Photography's gear list:SRS_Photography's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
craigbyfive
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

I just purchased a P7100 to walk around Disney. I will take one SB-800 with it and try not to carry D4 into park. If I do bring an SLR into the park, I will use 24-120vr.

Ubiquity99
Regular MemberPosts: 138
Like?

I wouldn't consider a D4 with any lens to be good for walking around.

LD_50
Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?

This really depends on what type of photos you're after and whether you're interested in maintaining best possible image quality or prioritizing portability.

Good portability and focal lengths, lesser image quality:
-- 24-120 f4 or 28-300

Good image quality and focal lengths, less portability:
-- 24-70 f2.8
-- 70-200 f2.8 VRII

Best image quality and portability, less focal lengths:
-- Primes (35, 50, 85, etc)

Rupert Pupkin
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
In reply to Ubiquity99, Apr 29, 2012

I would think considering the camera is a little heavy taking a 35mm F2.0

Event_shooter
Contributing MemberPosts: 973
Like?
In reply to Rupert Pupkin, Apr 29, 2012

I would NEVER take a D4 to a theme park. #1 it's too heavy to lug around for 8-12 hours.

1. 2 security issues with soo many people, breakage etc. #3 you will get better shots with a point and shoot because it's impossible to shoot a HUGE camera while going down a roller coaster.

I bought a Panasonic Lumix and I will hold those pictures up against and D4 for walk around shots.

Bill Fagan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,947
Like?

I carry the old trinity- 17-35, 28-70 and 80-200 AFS's in a Mini Trekker. I'm over 55 yo and have no trouble over two or three 15 hour days. I also carry an SB-910, but use it mostly during the day for fill. Can't really use flash indoors anywhere. I also carry a tripod strapped to the bag. If I had to pare the kit down, I would leave out first the strobe, then the 17-35, then the 80-200 most reluctantly. I have the older 24-120 and only find it acceptable on film. I might swap the tripod for my GM5541 monopod, but the tripod is really nice to have.

Deleted-pending
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665
Like?
D4 : PERFECT CAM for Disney World !!!
In reply to LD_50, Apr 29, 2012

I would only go with Stellar prime lenses such as :

AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR (excellent to catch Goofy in action)
AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR (in case of...)
AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II (this one is great for mickey & minnie)
AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D IF-ED if the other lenses are too long.

Dont forget to grab " a bunch" of cheapo

24mm 1.4 AF-G lenses for the fast attractions and 3 extra D4 bodies to catch several view points of this incredible mesmerizing unique event !

Oh yes, you MUST own the last Ipad and Iphone to stay connected with all your D4 cameras if you really want to get the real job done, like a pro.

PS : Like Bill Fagan suggested very wisely, you must bring the heaviest (and most expensive) tripod your store owns : Disney Land is a busy-action packed place ! You'll need also a few sand bags to steady your tripod. Last but not least, try to look like a pro : green Domke jacket and Sunglasses are a must. Set your camera to the highest shutter speed to catch every single frame of this event.

Hosh
Regular MemberPosts: 403
Like?

50/1.4

khambhatta wrote:

My D4 just arrived & I will be in vacation at Disney for a week. I am contemplating taking my D4 along and wanted to know which lens/lenses would be the best to bring along.

-- hide signature --

Banff / Canada
http://fiftymillimetre.com/
D3 + 50/1.4D (all you really need)

LD_50
Regular MemberPosts: 178
Like?
Re: D4 : PERFECT CAM for Disney World !!!
In reply to Deleted-pending, Apr 29, 2012

FTH wrote:

I would only go with Stellar prime lenses such as :

AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4G ED VR (excellent to catch Goofy in action)
AF-S NIKKOR 400mm f/2.8G ED VR (in case of...)
AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II (this one is great for mickey & minnie)
AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D IF-ED if the other lenses are too long.

Dont forget to grab " a bunch" of cheapo

24mm 1.4 AF-G lenses for the fast attractions and 3 extra D4 bodies to catch several view points of this incredible mesmerizing unique event !

Oh yes, you MUST own the last Ipad and Iphone to stay connected with all your D4 cameras if you really want to get the real job done, like a pro.

PS : Like Bill Fagan suggested very wisely, you must bring the heaviest (and most expensive) tripod your store owns : Disney Land is a busy-action packed place ! You'll need also a few sand bags to steady your tripod. Last but not least, try to look like a pro : green Domke jacket and Sunglasses are a must. Set your camera to the highest shutter speed to catch every single frame of this event.

I assume this was meant to be funny? Patronizing? Both?

I don't see the point of criticizing someone's choice of camera for an event. Yes the D4 is large but not prohibitively so in my opinion.

InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,020Gear list
Like?
In reply to LD_50, Apr 29, 2012

LD_50 wrote:

Good portability and focal lengths, lesser image quality:
-- 24-120 f4 or 28-300

Good image quality and focal lengths, less portability:
-- 24-70 f2.8
-- 70-200 f2.8 VRII

I agree. I personally would take a 24-120.

But the D4 is such a huge monster of a camera for vacation snaps, to be honest, as some people have not-so-subtly alluded to.

-- hide signature --

Ridicule is not C&C nor is it being helpful nor "stating your opinion"

If you write more posts than take pictures, are you a photographer, or something else?

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
khambhatta
Like?
In reply to craigbyfive, Apr 29, 2012

Thanks. I do own a Lumix DMC TZ10 which i will anyway carry. I also own a D300, which i will now sell since i have the D4. I am really interested in good quality pictures & I will not have a problem lugging around the heavier kit a bit.

khambhatta
Like?

I also forgot to add, that in most probability, after this inputs from here, I will go for a 24-70 2.8.

Bruce Bracken
Regular MemberPosts: 312
Like?
135 f/2 DC

Taking size and weight into consideration for a full day of theme park exploration, with an already large D4 body size, with many of the attractions being too far away for the typical 24-70 walkaround, I think the 135 f/2 DC would be great for a touch of reach, and brilliant with the image and bokeh, in the event you are captuing "portrait" type images of the many people around.

Maybe bring a 1.7x TC if needing extra reach.

Hope you have a fun trip!

David H Dennis
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?

This isn't quite the same as Disney, but I went to the South Florida Fair a few months ago with my D300 and 24-70 f/2.8 lens and came up with these pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2804610147946.2130551.1039394005&type=3

The D4 is, if my memory serves, about half a pound heavier than the D300, so the weight's pretty similar. I found the camera and lens so much fun to use and handle that I was happy to spend the entire evening (4+ hours) there with them.

Biggest adventure was having to use manual focus on the roosters! The autofocus was completely baffled by their cages. One thing I really love about the 24-70 is that no matter how you focus it, it's a true joy. Autofocus is super fast and the focus ring is velvety smooth.

The only time I noticed the size and weight was when I stopped to eat and didn't have any good place to put the camera and lens! (The food was terrible, by the way.)

I loved the versatility of the zoom and was quite surprised I didn't miss my previous lens, an 18-200 VR, more( ). I didn't miss the additional range and I loved the incredible sharpness of the new lens (I had just bought it a week or so before these were taken).

I think you'd find similar conditions at Disney so I would definitely endorse the lens for use there. However, it will be wider with the D4 since there crop factor is 1 instead of 1.5. Time will tell how much of a difference that will make when I get my D4 (up for delivery Monday-Tuesday!)

D

( ) That lens had some problems and I had to send it to Nikon for cleaning/adjustment.

David H Dennis's gear list:David H Dennis's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II
pw-pix2
Regular MemberPosts: 122
Like?

With my D3s I would have the 24-70/2.8 mounted and the 14-24/2.8 in the bag. If I was thinking I'd need anything longer, I'd akso put the 70-200/2.8 in the bag.

But really the 24-70/2.8 is all you'd likely need for a day out like that.

Even if you just took a 50mm or a 35mm, you'd just make some different pictures, they'd still be good and they'd still be a record of your day out, but you'd choose different opportunities.

I'm assuming that the people who suggested a 300/2.8 and longer were being funny.

-- hide signature --
Shaun432x
Regular MemberPosts: 343Gear list
Like?
In reply to pw-pix2, Apr 29, 2012

24-70 f2.8

Shaun432x's gear list:Shaun432x's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon Coolpix 8800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Nikon D60 +17 more
dbl00buk
Regular MemberPosts: 188
Like?
In reply to Shaun432x, Apr 29, 2012

I live 3 miles from Disney and often used various combos on many outings. I also want the best IQ I can get without feeling like a packhorse. I really like the D700 with 28-300 and 24-70 2.8. I've used the 28-300 with surprisingly excellent results (must have lucked out with a great copy). I shoot raw, convert w/NX2, go to Lightroom, and result with a very nice Mouse day!

P.S. Bring lots of water, lather with good sunscreen, use the best walking shoes you own.....enjoy!

barnicle
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?

A very good choice indeed. I have found that to be the lens that remains on my camera the most when I am there.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads