Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tgutgu
Senior MemberPosts: 3,150Gear list
Like?
Re: It is pretty clear...
In reply to BigBarney, Apr 29, 2012

BigBarney wrote:

radissimo wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-OM-D-Thirds-Interchangeable-Camera/product-reviews/B0073A1DWE/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I am not sure, initially I thought this guy is idiot or simply troll (I don't even believe he got an camera from Amazon UK), but reading it again, he made some valid points, and although certainly over-blowing the particular problems, all the problems are believable.... What do you think guys?

... that this guy is a troll. And it is equally clear that the one thing that all of us in this thread have done is to feed that troll.

Except, that he is right about many points.
--
Thomas

tgutgu's gear list:tgutgu's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +17 more
muddyfunster
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?
well it made me laugh....
In reply to radissimo, Apr 29, 2012

but i'm guessing there is an angry mob with blazing torches and pitchforks storming their way to his castle right now
--
the night is dark.....and full of terriers

CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,474
Like?
Re: TROLL! He's isn’t talking about his own experience...
In reply to Hen3ry, Apr 29, 2012

Hen3ry wrote:

…I would suggest -- he jumped on every negative he's seen (probably on this forum) and turned it into a major problem.

Look at his mention of the EVF stabilizer hum. He has promoted it to an "unbearable buzz". The kit lens is "horrible", corner sharpness "horrendous". Etc., etc. He really gives himself away when he complains that he EVF isn’t an SLR VF!

He's lying more than a pig in mud, it appears to me.

Amazon should take down something so obviously fake. It is supposed to be a "user" review. I don’t believe he is a user of the E-M5 although he certainly is a user in terms of taking advantage of a forum and misusing it.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

I tend to agree. First, I don't put much stock in user reviews because they tend to be so subjective as to indicate the person has little practical experience with the product or similar products. The person may know very little about how to properly set up and use a product, but will complain about things which more knowledgeable people can tell are user error/ignorance and not a flaw in the product.

I also find that user reviews tend to swing to far in one direction or the other (as this one has) in which either the product is perfect despite numerous flaws, or is totally useless because of a few flaws.

And yes, there are people who are paid to give either positive or negative reviews of a product, or will at least troll simply because as emotionally insecure fanboys of other products, they get some odd sort of satisfaction thinking they are discouraging people from buying a given product. You see it all the time when it comes to game consoles.

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.

http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/

http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

gollywop
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,424
Like?
Re: well it made me laugh....
In reply to muddyfunster, Apr 29, 2012

muddyfunster wrote:

but i'm guessing there is an angry mob with blazing torches and pitchforks storming their way to his castle right now
--
the night is dark.....and full of terriers

No, you're right. The LOL is the right response.
--
gollywop

-- hide signature --

Martin Ocando
Senior MemberPosts: 2,561Gear list
Like?
My 7D this, my 7D that

If is a real review, he obviously expected to find the 7D handling on the OM-D, which is not near, for obvious reasons.

Hey, the handling of my 60D was stellar. It fit like a glove in my hands. My G3 is like trying to shoot with a box of matches. But for the same reason I love it, and I sold my 60D + lenses + flash for my m43 kit. I'm happy as a clam.

Is it as comfortable as my Canon gear? Hell no. But fits in the 1/4 of the space needed for my older gear, and weights a tenth.
--
Martin Ocando
-------------------------

Martin Ocando's gear list:Martin Ocando's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +6 more
Tim in upstate NY
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,120Gear list
Like?
Re: Horrible EM-5 Amazon user review
In reply to tgutgu, Apr 29, 2012

tgutgu wrote:

No, it is not as stupid as it sounds and it isn't trolling at all. He has described almost all the quibbles I have myself, except that I have a silver body, from which paint does not peel off.

The ergonomics are as problematic as he describes, although I would not take them as so horrible. Left eye shooters clearly cannot feel absolutely comfortable using the camera. I have to turn my face slightly to squeeze my thumb in to operate the left dial. The grip is less than ideal and even with the landscape grip the camera does not feel perfect in hand.

The menu system is not well organized, pretty cluttered in my opinion. The direct access to functions I use often is omitted from the SCP for unknown reasons. I would like to have Mysets available in the SCP and also a direct possibility to access bracketing.

Battery life isn't stellar as well. To mount the flash requires to deal with three covers, indeed, not a stellar solution in my book.

All that does not make me returning the camera, as the advantages (performance, highlights displaying VF, IBIS,and some others), still make the EM-5 a nice camera. However, if Olympus would not stick to its dogmatic retro design and let some practical users look at their menu system before going to the market, they could have done much better.

On the other hand comparing the EM-5 with the NEX-7 and the X-Pro 1, it would not do the EM-5 justice to slam it, like the "reviewer" did.

The NEX-7 fits better in hand, but it has not so good and many lenses in the system and it has, yes!, the worst view finder, of all current mirrorless cameras. It has higher resolution than the EM-5's finder and is slightly bigger, BUT it shows strong flicker in details (I.e. tree branches) and strong moiree in structures like roof tiles. To me the finder is almost unusable. So the competition fails as well.

The ergonomics of the X-Pro 1 isn't better either. It feels large and clunky in hands, because it does not have a good grip either and no option to attach one. The view finder is worse than the EM-5 finder, and the optical finder is rather useless (lenses vignette the finder and you have the parallax problem). I don't see the point in this hybrid thing and that somebody would not prefer a through the lens finder image. The AF performance (hunt, hunt, hunt) is not state of the art.

So, if we look at the current mirrorless flagships (EM-5, NEX-7, X-Pro 1, GH2) the EM-5 is probably the best package, followed by the GH2. Had Olympus paid more attention to details in handling, the menu system and the shape of the grips, it would be a perfect camera. I omitted the Samsung product line here, because I haven't tried them at all. The Nikon 1 systemis to me no flagship product anyway, the same goes for Pentax Q and the K-01.

In summary, the "reviewer" put his fingers in the holes, where most people would see problems as well. His conclusion, is a bit too extreme, but he is clearly disappointed, not a troll.

. . . Yes he is too a troll and I just voted some negative feedback to his stupid rant at Amazon. Anyone else who is registered with Amazon ought to do the same.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
dotborg
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,373
Like?
It sounds to me like...

...one of the people here who really hate the E-M5 has parroted every negative comment he could find about the camera.

radissimo wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-OM-D-Thirds-Interchangeable-Camera/product-reviews/B0073A1DWE/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

I am not sure, initially I thought this guy is idiot or simply troll (I don't even believe he got an camera from Amazon UK), but reading it again, he made some valid points, and although certainly over-blowing the particular problems, all the problems are believable.... What do you think guys?

-- hide signature --
peevee1
Senior MemberPosts: 4,922Gear list
Like?

radissimo wrote:

He works for Canon.

YouDidntDidYou
Senior MemberPosts: 1,576
Like?
Amazon reviews are the most worthless on the internet

to be honest Amazon reviews are the most worthless on the internet for any product....
--
living life to the Four Thirds!
http://www.mftuser.com/

Patrick2968
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?

OMD, not that horrible. OMD is not a perfect camera but it is still the best choice in m4/3 at that moment.

richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,668Gear list
Like?
 richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +1 more
Kuppenbender
Senior MemberPosts: 1,799Gear list
Like?
The moral of the story is....

...given quite clearly towards the end of the review:

"I strongly suggest actually testing the camera out in store"

All the complaints (except the over-cooked jpegs and peeling paint) would have have been instantly obvious by picking up a demonstration model in-store.

Are the ergonomics about right? Is it significantly smaller than an entry DSLR? Is it a gentle hum or a whining/grinding noise? All these are to some degree subjective, as are the quirks and foibles of every camera.

Kuppenbender's gear list:Kuppenbender's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 27,824
Like?
Re: The moral of the story is....
In reply to Kuppenbender, Apr 29, 2012

Kuppenbender wrote:

...given quite clearly towards the end of the review:

"I strongly suggest actually testing the camera out in store"

All the complaints (except the over-cooked jpegs and peeling paint) would have have been instantly obvious by picking up a demonstration model in-store.

Sure, but that isn't something Amazon buyers usually do. They rather depend on honest user reviews, of which this is one. The trick is, I think, to read a number and for people to make their own judgement based on the fullness of the reviews. A 'this is the best camera ever' review really isn't to be taken seriously, this honest and detailed one is, but every purchase needs to understand that their own little foibles are not the same as everyone else's. Olympus fanboys trying to purge negative reviews do no-one any favours.

-- hide signature --

Bob

bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 27,824
Like?
In reply to Tim in upstate NY, Apr 29, 2012

Tim in upstate NY wrote:

. . . Yes he is too a troll and I just voted some negative feedback to his stupid rant at Amazon. Anyone else who is registered with Amazon ought to do the same.

A very committed troll if he would spend £1250 to buy a camera just to troll about it, don't you think? This review has the look of a considered piece by a genuinely disappointed buyer. Sure, not everyone will be disappointed, and many will be delighted, but everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Amazon buyers depend on reviews stating the good and the bad - mostly I would have thought that they are intelligent enough to weigh up counter reviews and come to their own judgement.

The trolls are the people trying to stamp out any negative comment by organising mass complaining campaigns against it. It seems that the mindset of using of Goebbels inspired methods for controlling information is so embedded amongst Olympus fanboys now that they don't even give a second thought to what they are actually doing.
--
Bob

Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,182Gear list
Like?
Raises valid points but they are way overblown.

First of all he is complaining about the black version although he doesn't say that. The grip on the silver version feels fine to me and I have no paint coming off.

It was stated before that this camera is not for left-eye shooters. I am a right-eye shooter and that clearly helps.

I too was struggling hard with the menu system because I'm used to the Canon menu system. Clearly the poster is unwilling to accept a different menu system. I have now configured the buttons to the functions I want most: focus point selection, ISO selection and WB selection. After struggling to get this set up the camera is a joy to use.

The noise is not up to the level of cameras with a larger sensor. It was foolish of the poster to assume it would be. There are no miracles in the camera business.

The hum from the IBIS can indeed be heard. If it is so loud the poster cannot stand it he must have superman's ears because it really is a faint noise. You mostly notice the noise when it stops (when the camera shuts down or when you turn it off).

The poster must have been very lucky with previous kit lenses and unlucky with the 12-50 because I don't think there is a significant difference. Sure the 12-50 is not nearly as good as the $1000 Canon 17-55IS f/2.8...

The OM-D E-M5 has been hyped a lot. It has been presented as a miracle camera with image quality to rival full-frame dslrs and what not. When you get the E-M5 with these unrealistic expectations it's normal to be very disappointed. I am thrilled with my E-M5 because it rivals or even exceeds the Canon 450D I used before. Finally, 5 years after the 450D there is a much smaller camera package that can replace my 450D. That's my expectation and the E-M5 has not disappointed so far.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/ .

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,380Gear list
Like?
Re: Raises valid points but they are way overblown.
In reply to Paul De Bra, Apr 29, 2012

Paul De Bra wrote:

It was stated before that this camera is not for left-eye shooters. I am a right-eye shooter and that clearly helps.

Huh? Did Oly come out and that? There is a reasonable expectation that a camera will work with either eye.

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
CedricL1984
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
Re: Revenge review
In reply to Triggr Happy, Apr 29, 2012

No, it's just a canon boy!
My guess is that he's a liar.

CedricL1984's gear list:CedricL1984's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,638
Like?
Re: Raises valid points but they are way overblown.
In reply to Paul De Bra, Apr 29, 2012

Paul De Bra wrote:

The noise is not up to the level of cameras with a larger sensor. It was foolish of the poster to assume it would be.

If he saw some of the crazy posts made on this forum though from people saying it was as good as FF cameras then I think he can be forgiven.

The poster must have been very lucky with previous kit lenses and unlucky with the 12-50 because I don't think there is a significant difference. Sure the 12-50 is not nearly as good as the $1000 Canon 17-55IS f/2.8...

The 12-50mm "kit" lens is about $500.
The Panasonic 14-42mm kit lens is about $120.
The Canon 18-55mm kit lens is about $170.
The Nikon 18-55mm kit lens is about $180.
The Sony 18-55mm kit lens is about $200.
The Sony NEX 18-55mm kit lens is about $300.

When you consider those prices it probably doesn't make sense to say to compare the 12-50mm to other kit lenses. Maybe comparing it to other $500 lenses would make more sense.

The OM-D E-M5 has been hyped a lot. It has been presented as a miracle camera with image quality to rival full-frame dslrs and what not.

Yeah, the fanboys have brought this guy's bad review on themselves since they convinced him and others the expect so much.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 12,638
Like?
This is the sort of thing that gave birth to the popular expression

This is just the sort of thing that gave birth to the popular expression: Get a life!

This thread filled with anger, gnashing of teeth, and accusations is actually pretty amusing in a study of strange, obsessive human behavior sort of way.

It is just some guy writing his opinion about an inanimate object, an object that before long will be passé and uninteresting to all of you when the next big thing comes along. Why do you need for everyone to have exactly the same opinion as you?

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads