R3000, InkJetCarts refill tutorial; Give me a break!!!

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions
wjwncpro_Ds
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,984
Like?
R3000, InkJetCarts refill tutorial; Give me a break!!!
Apr 28, 2012

Ready to fill and install my InkJetCarts in my R3000, so I go to InkJetCarts website for a pdf or document tutorial but all they have for a tutorial is a (6) part video (59min 46sec). Now you would think that this must be a very informative video, I mean, (6) parts (59min 46sec) or maybe this must be a tough thing to do and they need 6 parts to cover all the cr_p that could happen when trying to refill or replace ink carts.

After watching and wasting 29 minutes to actually get to were they show hot to refill the carts (set your alarm and take a nap) part of the video, you get about 2 minutes of video that actually matters. Then you waste another 20 minutes to get to the part about resetting the carts. That took about 1 minute to explain. The one doing the video must have been on drugs or something cause after he filled up the cart he explains that you have to blow into the top port. For five minutes you can hear him (I said, hear him, not see him) trying to blow into the cart before he finally gives up and uses the syringe to blow air into it. I was ready to take drugs!!!

The tutorial was more about the R3000 then it was about filling and resetting the carts.
Let me give InkJetCarts a little tip;

I already own a R3000, and I know how good it prints. It also comes with instructions on how to install there OEM carts. All I needed to know was how to refill and reset your carts, a 3 minute video or 2 page pdf would have worked.
Give me a break!!!

jtoolman
Senior MemberPosts: 4,603
Like?
Re: R3000, InkJetCarts refill tutorial; Give me a break!!!
In reply to wjwncpro_Ds, Apr 28, 2012

Ross Hardy owner of Inkjetcarts if a genius when it comes to printers and everything about them. However video production is not his gig. I agree with your comments.

WHen it comes to initially filling of the carts, you need to really utilize the vacuum method. Later on you simply add ink through the ink port with a syringe and needle.

DO NOT let the prime chamber to empty out. Let me explain. Often the chip will indicate that there is ink left in the cart and will ready empty well after the priming chamber has been renedered empty. SO, top off ALL your carts when any one is about 20%, reset them all and replace them.

No to do the initial fill. Use a 50cc or larger syringe with about 35 cc of ink loaded with no sir in the syringe. Without a needled installed, insert the tip of the syringe into the fill hole by twisting it into the cart. You must have a total seal. Make sure the vent plug is also securely in place. With the syringe in a vertical orientation, pull back on the plunger almost to the top and slowly let go. The vacuum created with allow ink to replace it in the cart. Repeat until no more ink with go into the cart. The prime chamber should be about 75% full with just a bit of air in it. There is NO NEED to blow into the cart. Unless you love the taste of ink.

Resetting is just as the video says. Short out the two round ternimals.

Keep in mind that the build in battery will eventualy die and that will be the end of that cart.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mr. Cool
Regular MemberPosts: 496Gear list
Like?
 Mr. Cool's gear list:Mr. Cool's gear list
Nikon D7100
Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,836
Like?
One of best R3000 refill videos

only 5 minutes long....

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.11/category.53650/.f

And she looks a lot better than Ross!

Bob P.

wjwncpro_Ds
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Apr 29, 2012

Thanks jtoolman;

I got through the important parts of the video and everything worked out fine. I was just ranting that it took almost an hour of very boring video to explain what you just did in three paragraphs...

jtoolman wrote:

Ross Hardy owner of Inkjetcarts if a genius when it comes to printers and everything about them. However video production is not his gig. I agree with your comments.

WHen it comes to initially filling of the carts, you need to really utilize the vacuum method. Later on you simply add ink through the ink port with a syringe and needle.

DO NOT let the prime chamber to empty out. Let me explain. Often the chip will indicate that there is ink left in the cart and will ready empty well after the priming chamber has been renedered empty. SO, top off ALL your carts when any one is about 20%, reset them all and replace them.

No to do the initial fill. Use a 50cc or larger syringe with about 35 cc of ink loaded with no sir in the syringe. Without a needled installed, insert the tip of the syringe into the fill hole by twisting it into the cart. You must have a total seal. Make sure the vent plug is also securely in place. With the syringe in a vertical orientation, pull back on the plunger almost to the top and slowly let go. The vacuum created with allow ink to replace it in the cart. Repeat until no more ink with go into the cart. The prime chamber should be about 75% full with just a bit of air in it. There is NO NEED to blow into the cart. Unless you love the taste of ink.

Keep in mind that the build in battery will eventualy die and that will be the end of that cart.

wjwncpro_Ds
Like?
Re: One of best R3000 refill videos
In reply to Petruska, Apr 29, 2012
jtoolman
Like?
In reply to wjwncpro_Ds, Apr 29, 2012

Never gravity fill these types of carts. Vacuum is the only proper way to do the initial fill.

If you ever loose your priming during any subsequent refill, you can force a bit of ink with a syringe ( No Needle ) directly through the exit port till the chamber is full and primed once again.

Otherwise you'd have to seal up the main exit port with some sort of tape and replug the vent hole before vacuum vacuum filling and re priming.

I had to do just that on a set of R1900 carts that lost their priming due to an over estimating ink level chip.

chrisj8891
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Apr 29, 2012

I posted re the Permajet CIS system for the r3000. looking for any current users experience, but clearly still too new,,,, , chip reset by usb not shorting out,, may be worth considering

Chris

ChaseH
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Nov 29, 2012

I just received the R3000 kit from Inkjetcarts but it came with 10cc syringes. How can you do a vacuum fill with a syringe that doesn't even hold enough ink to fill the cart?

Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 12,182
Like?
In reply to ChaseH, Nov 29, 2012

ChaseH wrote:

I just received the R3000 kit from Inkjetcarts but it came with 10cc syringes. How can you do a vacuum fill with a syringe that doesn't even hold enough ink to fill the cart?

Did you contact Inkjetcarts regarding this  --OR-- just post your message here.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

ChaseH
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Nov 29, 2012

I just talked to Ross and he said not to use the vacuum method, to use the "blow" method. My staff is going to be the ones refilling these carts and I don't think having them blow into the carts is going to be a big hit with them.

Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,836
Like?
Watch this video....

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.362672/sc.11/category.53650/.f

You should be able to refill any R3000 cartridge with the vacuum method, but if Ross states not to use the vacuum method then I can only speculate that his cartridges are just maybe sub-par quality and the membrane wall seals can't handle a vacuum and will leak.  Again, I'm just speculating.  You can also purge ink throught the output port using a syring and output port adapter, or the correct size syringe nozzle. You must go in far enough to push back the spring loaded valve.

Cone cartridges are very easy to vacuum fill and are made with very good quality.

Ask Ross again why you can't use the vacuum method.

Bob P.

Kurt Sonderegger
Contributing MemberPosts: 535Gear list
Like?
Re: R3000 vacuum fill without problems

I have two sets of refillable R3000 carts from Inkjetcarts and have vacuum primed both sets (that's 18 carts) without any problems what so ever. You only have to prime them the first time they are filled and then gravity fill after that, unless you should let the ink level drop so far that they need to be primed again. You really don't have to pull back too far on the syringe plunger either. You can do maybe 5 to 10ml and then repeat. That way you are never subjecting the cartridge to a severe vacuum.

I don't want to contradict what Ross tells you, just giving my experience.

Kurt

jtoolman
Like?

You can do it in 5 ml sessions since you only have 10 ml syringes. Ideally 60ml one would be my choice for R3000's almost 30ml capacity.

ChaseH
Like?
Re: R3000 vacuum fill without problems
In reply to Kurt Sonderegger, Nov 30, 2012

Thanks, I'm going to give that a try tomorrow.

Bobjoek
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
In reply to jtoolman, Dec 1, 2012

jtoolman wrote:

A bit of an update: The battery in the R3000 cartridges is replaceable.  Ross Hardy of Inkjetcarts does have a good video showing how to replace the battery.  It is a watch battery that is available in most drug store chains and on Amazon (lower cost).

Bob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads