fixing a write protected SD card

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions
Ben_Egbert
Forum ProPosts: 20,228Gear list
Like?
fixing a write protected SD card
Apr 28, 2012

After uploading my images via a card reader and Breeze uploader pro, I tried to erase the images in my 1DS-mk3 and it says write protected.

I have been doing this with this hardware and software for years on this SD card with no issues. No doubt I hit a hot key or a hidden feature someplace as I was typing. Or maybe I plugged in the reader while the computer was booting.

Anyway, I have tried everything to delete this unwanted hateful feature to no avail. This stupid feature means my card is worthless to me and left me short of card space on a photo trip.

I will order new cards (time to upgrade anyway). But I would like to salvage this card as a spare.

If I put the card on my Win7 machine, and get into properties. It says read only, but I cannot uncheck the box. I also cant erase or format the card here or in my camera.

If you have any insight on how this happens, I would like to know. I don't have a clue how to do "write protect" on purpose and consider it a worthless feature, but would like to know how to avoid it in the future.

-- hide signature --

What I see when I open the image and view it at 100% is very important to my overall attitude toward a final print. When I look at the print I know what’s there and what I had to do to get there. For me, good enough does not work.

http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/

Ben

Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Canon EOS-1Ds
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
wklee
Senior MemberPosts: 2,729
Like?
Re: fixing a write protected SD card
In reply to Ben_Egbert, Apr 28, 2012

Did you physically examine the card to see if the tab is in the lock position? If it's down, then push it back up.

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Eric Carlson
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,382Gear list
Like?
I have to ask the obvious question

Is the write protect switch on the side of SD card set to the protect position?
--

Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Canon EOS 500D Motorola Triumph +1 more
Ben_Egbert
Like?
Re: fixing a write protected SD card
In reply to wklee, Apr 28, 2012

wklee wrote:

Did you physically examine the card to see if the tab is in the lock position? If it's down, then push it back up.

No tab on my card. Its a 4 year old SanDisk. I do see a notch, but its empty and there is nothing inside that moves.

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.

-- hide signature --

What I see when I open the image and view it at 100% is very important to my overall attitude toward a final print. When I look at the print I know what’s there and what I had to do to get there. For me, good enough does not work.

Ben

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
Ben_Egbert
Like?
Re: I have to ask the obvious question
In reply to Eric Carlson, Apr 28, 2012

I was never aware of this lock. On mine there is no lock, but now that I look closely, I see the word lock printed on the side. Maybe the lock fell off.

Still, I could not find any mechanism inside the hole for this that looked like it could be moved or depressed.

Looks like this card is history and when I get a new one, I will be aware of this feature unless I can find a card that does not have it.

Eric Carlson wrote:

Is the write protect switch on the side of SD card set to the protect position?
--

-- hide signature --

Ben

John Bean (UK)
Forum ProPosts: 18,034
Like?

Ben_Egbert wrote:

I was never aware of this lock. On mine there is no lock, but now that I look closely, I see the word lock printed on the side. Maybe the lock fell off.

Still, I could not find any mechanism inside the hole for this that looked like it could be moved or depressed.

There is no mechanism in the card, just a sensor in the reader (or camera) that "sees" the position of the little plastic sliding thing. You can fix it by gluing something in place to replace the "switch".

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

Ben_Egbert
Like?
In reply to John Bean (UK), Apr 28, 2012

John Bean (UK) wrote:

Ben_Egbert wrote:

There is no mechanism in the card, just a sensor in the reader (or camera) that "sees" the position of the little plastic sliding thing. You can fix it by gluing something in place to replace the "switch".

No, not worth it now. Cards are cheap and this one was old. I am glad I know what happened now.

Before I retired, I was an engineer for 45 years and I fought these sort of doo dads usually with little success for the entire time. Not enough guys like me and too many who love doo dads.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

-- hide signature --

Ben

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads