**** This Week Through Your M43 April 28, 2012 ****

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions
SLOtographer
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,904Gear list
Like?
**** This Week Through Your M43 April 28, 2012 ****
Apr 28, 2012

M43 Onion Rock-Paper-Scissors

A trusted friend of mine has just sent me his official Oly EM5 fanboy version of the game Rock-Paper-Scissors.

It's called Rock-Paper-Scissors-Fuji-EM5. Here's how it's played
Rock smashes scissors
Scissors cuts paper
Paper wraps rock
Rock smashes Fuji
Scissors scratches Fuji
Paper bags Fuji
EM5 is too quick for Rock (FAST AF)
EM5 is too sealed against scissors
EM5 hump blocks paper
EM5 5-axis IBIS chops Fuji

Instructions:

1. Reply to this post and change the TITLE

2. Older photos are fine. Please tell us about how you captured the image.

3. Please reply to at least one other thread.

Thank you for your participation!
--
SLOtographer

"If we limit our vision to the real world, we will forever be fighting on the minus side of things, working only too make our photographs equal to what we see out there, but no better." -- Galen Rowell

SLOtographer's gear list:SLOtographer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III
OdzBodkinz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,425
Like?
Re: Reflection of a bygone era
In reply to SLOtographer, Apr 28, 2012

While walking around the Junkyard, I sw this puddle and worked my way around it to capture several different angles and compositions. I liked this one best.

EM5 and 40-150mm.
--
Money can't buy happiness....It has to be converted into photo equipment first.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Robiro
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,542
Like?
Yellow stuff

Yellow stuff again. The oil made of it now gets added to diesel fuel and then chokes the delicate engine's injection nozzles and freezes during harsh winter...

Luckily, my car craves the good old petrol...

GH2 with manually focusing Zeiss 135mm f2.8 lens set to f16 (hence 1/125) not to blur the background completely.

Wormsmeat
Senior MemberPosts: 3,840Gear list
Like?
Constable Country

Nice intro Stan!

Self-portrait

These reminded me of a John Constable painting.

First is a tweaked raw image, second is HDR. Interested to know which of the two you prefer. People tend to be a little sniffy about HDR in here but often I find it slightly more interesting if somewhat unrealistic. I guess I'm drawn to it as I really enjoy the processing with HDR.

Wormsmeat's gear list:Wormsmeat's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +2 more
Wormsmeat
Like?
Re: Yellow stuff
In reply to Robiro, Apr 28, 2012
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +2 more
Wormsmeat
Like?
Re: Reflection of a bygone era
In reply to OdzBodkinz, Apr 28, 2012

Good stuff - I like it.
--
Wormsmeat

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16702896@N04/sets/

Robiro
Like?
Re: Yellow stuff
In reply to Wormsmeat, Apr 28, 2012

Wormsmeat wrote:

Rapeseed?

Yes, sir.

Robiro
Like?
Re: Constable Country

Wormsmeat wrote:

First is a tweaked raw image, second is HDR. Interested to know which of the two you prefer.

First one.

People tend to be a little sniffy about HDR in here but often I find it slightly more interesting if somewhat unrealistic. I guess I'm drawn to it as I really enjoy the processing with HDR.

It looks unrealistic to me. Just my opinion.

jh404
Regular MemberPosts: 488
Like?
Historic Wetland

I experimented with a slightly different subject & approach this week. And, the processing style is perhaps a bit more heavy handed than my usual work. C&C Welcome!

-- hide signature --
MatW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468Gear list
Like?
GF1 visits Vienna in beautiful spring time (20 images)

A re-post so that the images do not get lost in the old thread, I hope you do not mind.

I spent the week in Austria's capital city, Vienna, for a conference and managed to take some pictures with my GF1. Lenses used were the 20/1.7 and the 45/1.8.

The images were developed in LR 4. I am quite satisfied by how much Lightroom has improved since I started using it (Version 2 if I remember correctly), it handles the GF1 RAW files much better then in the beginning. Especially the handling of highlights has improved enormously.

MatW's gear list:MatW's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
jh404
Regular MemberPosts: 488
Like?

Some excellent work this week, Wormsmeat!

Wormsmeat wrote:

Nice intro Stan!

Self-portrait

Very nice. I especially like the framing & shadow here.

This one is a strange image. It is much stronger viewed small; Once enlarged, I find that it looses much of its impact. That said, I do like it a lot .. when viewed small.

Very nice, but I'm still drawn back to the first.

Interesting concept.

First is a tweaked raw image, second is HDR. Interested to know which of the two you prefer. People tend to be a little sniffy about HDR in here but often I find it slightly more interesting if somewhat unrealistic. I guess I'm drawn to it as I really enjoy the processing with HDR.

I think the processing present a totally different mood. They are almost different images to me, if that makes sense. The thing with tonemapping that I'm not fond of is the unrealistic lighting & halos. I quite like the effect when it's used to enhance existing lighting; Just not quite sure when used to create lighting that isn't there in the first place.

-- hide signature --
Wormsmeat
Like?
Re: Historic Wetland
In reply to jh404, Apr 28, 2012

Really like 'em.
This is like a model:-

Another good 'un

Fascinating spot that.

Wormsmeat
Like?
Re: GF1 visits Vienna in beautiful spring time (20 images)
In reply to MatW, Apr 28, 2012

Interesting series, vibrant colours. But ironically I like the B&W best:-

MatW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468Gear list
Like?
Re: Historic Wetland
In reply to jh404, Apr 28, 2012

jh404 wrote:

I experimented with a slightly different subject & approach this week. And, the processing style is perhaps a bit more heavy handed than my usual work. C&C Welcome!
--
http://jonathanho.smugmug.com

I like the subject very much, I would definitely revisit the place when the light is more favorable, for example in the late afternoon when there would be some nice long shadows and good contrasts on the building and the boat.

As for the processing, the sky looks a bit over-processed to me, especially in the first three of your b&w images. When you compare the contrast of the sky to the contrast of the rest of the picture (house, vegetation) they do not fit together very well, I think. The sky is very dramatic but the landscape rather "flat" because of the cloudy sky and lack of shadows.

MatW's gear list:MatW's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,883Gear list
Like?
More Spring Blooms

I posted a few of these in a separate thread last week, but the rest are new. They are from Tulip Fest, an annual spring flower display which culminates on the first weekend in May with a BIG festival and crowning of the annual Tulip Queen (I kid you not). It begins the Friday before Mother's Day, with the ritual street scrubbing of State Street, and then proceeds from there.

Yeah, it's an odd one. But it's so miserable here most winters (we had an unusual balmy one this year) that this tradition is a most welcome "good riddance" to Winter and welcome to Spring.

-J

The first is an overview of some of the beds with Corning Tower of the Empire State Plaza in the background. The rest are the stars of the show....

PaulChapman
Contributing MemberPosts: 919Gear list
Like?
Viva Italia...!!!

My lovely Leica M9 has gone on holiday to Germany. It was hit by a Cosmic Ray and a whole row of pixies died....lay down.....stone dead!

My son sent me some instant coffee for Christmas; all you have to do is arrange the green beans in the correct way, roast them until black and greasy, grind them (by hand) and stick the dust in the espresso machine. It was raining when I did this and the baro-alt showed that Bristol had risen (relatively speaking) by 1200 ft.

Down at the city centre today...lots of fun...Italian car show

Maseratis lining the streets

Ferraris everywhere

Alfas too...although this one is a home built from a bit of this and that, including an IKEA wine rack

and the wheel spats are converted buckets

My first ever car was a 1934 Fiat Topolino so I was glad to see some later models; this one is from 1937

While I was there I was mobbed by the FLICKR flash mob..about 40 of 'em...tagged along...fine folk of varying gender, some with dustbins attached to their waists to carry the extra long lenses for their NikCanon coffee mugs; staccato shutter sounds....eeeek! Slipped away only to be addressed by the fine Leica cavalry...this time only about ten of them....nicely spoken and very friendly gentlemen mostly sporting M9s and varying Summisomethings. Must be springtime.

PaulChapman's gear list:PaulChapman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Leica M9-P Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +9 more
PaulChapman
Like?
Re: More Spring Blooms
In reply to jalywol, Apr 28, 2012

Not normally a flower person but No.3 stands out as excellent....really excellent!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Leica M9-P Leica M Typ 240 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +9 more
PaulChapman
Like?

2 and 4 for me.....you are right....Constable would be proud of you

markintosh13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,413
Like?

Wormsmeat wrote:

This one is very cool. I love the unexpected green.

Wormsmeat
Like?
Re: More Spring Blooms
In reply to jalywol, Apr 28, 2012

Yup, tend not to comment on flowers shots but #3 has something that lifts it out of the ordinary.
--
Wormsmeat

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16702896@N04/sets/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads