is photography art?

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions
Charles Pike
Senior MemberPosts: 1,198Gear list
Like?
is photography art?
Apr 28, 2012

Have you ever walked along, with the camera at the ready, when something catches the eye, that you don’t know if you should take it or not? With digital that’s not a big issue, while with film it was, because of the cost of film. I was walking down the street in Wilmington, N.C. when I saw this mannequin with body parts on the floor. I don’t know if I had come on this before they were finished with the display or not. Something about it said that I should take the picture but I didn’t know how I would be able to use it. Later when I got home, I edited in Color Eflex Pro 4, using the solarization filter. To give you a better idea of what I was working with, here two views of the same shot. All shot with my new G3, camera set to auto everything.

'

' /

'

' /

When is photography art? That is a question that used to get a lot of coverage in the photo magazines. Artist said that photography couldn’t be art, because anyone could pick up a camera and take photos, while an artist took years to learn. The artist Man Ray experimented with film and a process he called solarization. You took a print that was still in the developer and expose it for just a flip of the switch to the white light and you never really knew what the effect would be. I made a few of these in years past in the wet darkroom. Nice to know I can still do it in the computer. Not many of my shots lend themselves to this.

http://www.photosbypike.com

Bangers and Mash
Contributing MemberPosts: 993Gear list
Like?
Re: is photography art?
In reply to Charles Pike, Apr 28, 2012

Charles Pike wrote:

Have you ever walked along, with the camera at the ready, when something catches the eye, that you don’t know if you should take it or not? With digital that’s not a big issue, while with film it was, because of the cost of film.

You're kidding aren't you. I'm sure you must be. I spent many a year way back in the in the eprehistoric days of film happily taking pictures of anything I saw as worthy to put on film. Sorry pal, but I don't agree with what you are saying here.

When is photography art? That is a question that used to get a lot of coverage in the photo magazines. Artist said that photography couldn’t be art, because anyone could pick up a camera and take photos, while an artist took years to learn.

Photography IS an art form. The difference is that photographers, not the P&S "snap-shot" shooters, paint with light. And in order to do this art form properly, IT DOES take years to learn. By the way, I love your photo art. I'm sure you didn't just decide to pick up a camera and take those pictures on a whim.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Charles Pike
Senior MemberPosts: 1,198Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bangers and Mash, Apr 28, 2012

Been a shooter since 1958. I actually walked past the window, and intuition told me to go back. And yes it takes years of learning your equipment and photography. While I know this forum is mostly for gearheads, the cameras are zipping by so fast, we don't have time to learn all that they can do. And P.P. is so important to play with.

http://www.photosbypike.com

AoxoA
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?

"It's art if you call it art"

...won't make it good, or any sort of judgement on the aesthetic. That's decided by others elsewhere.

AoxoA

AoxoA's gear list:AoxoA's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
yumyum
Junior MemberPosts: 34Gear list
Like?

Art can be in any form, it is not down to any one person to say what is art and what is not. Art is what you as a person want it to be.

95% of the images i take with my G3 are on a whim, i take a photo of anything, but my G3 is just a tool to help me get the end bit of work.

This image is made up of 5 images, 4 of which was photo's i took on the whim, the eye was taken so i could finish it.

yumyum's gear list:yumyum's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL
rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,927Gear list
Like?
In reply to yumyum, Apr 28, 2012

Wow, that combo with the eye is really cool!

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
GingerBread
Regular MemberPosts: 373Gear list
Like?

Bangers and Mash wrote:

You're kidding aren't you. I'm sure you must be. I spent many a year way back in the in the eprehistoric days of film happily taking pictures of anything I saw as worthy to put on film. Sorry pal, but I don't agree with what you are saying here.

When I first took up photograhpy some 35 years ago, the cost of film was always on my mind and impacted how many shots I'd take. I guess you just have to be poor enough for it to matter.
--
Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +2 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,478Gear list
Like?

Photography can be an Art, depends on the Photographer, and there is also Digital Art

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Dreeke
Regular MemberPosts: 265Gear list
Like?

Art is in the eye of the beholder.

That said, this is not my taste of art, but don't take that personally please, I know I have a very "special" kind of taste. If you like it, please take more pictures like this and post them, others will appreciate them. And I will appreciate the work you put into them.

Dreeke's gear list:Dreeke's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +10 more
Lisa O
Senior MemberPosts: 2,117Gear list
Like?

It's not art when it has "copyright protected image" written across the top of it.
--
see about me in my profile for more info
http://500px.com/LisaOsta
http://www.flickr.com/photos/losta

Lisa O's gear list:Lisa O's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 +32 more
hindesite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,275
Like?
In reply to Lisa O, Apr 28, 2012

Lisa O wrote:

It's not art when it has "copyright protected image" written across the top of it.

+1

I have yet to see any example where a watermark added to the viewing experience, and in this case, that watermark is just awful. I can haz cheezburger awful.

I fail to see how somebody can be so insecure - or just up themselves; or perhaps, naive - that they think this is necessary.

It utterly devalues the picture. "Art" indeed! I actually find the watermark offensive. (Can you tell)?

People should have more respect for their audience.

kgwhite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,740Gear list
Like?

Paraphrasing Chuck Close who is an artist and someone with more than a passing acquaintance with photography. "Photography is the easiest artistic medium in which to produce competent work and the hardest medium in which to have personal vision."

From that statement I believe he is saying that a photographer who develops a personal style and vision can produce photographs that could be considered art. Of course that is just his opinion.

I think some photography can rise to the level of art. I also think that much of the photography being passed as art today will not be considered art in a few years time.

trevorn
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
In reply to kgwhite, Apr 28, 2012

Yes

-- hide signature --
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 15,132
Like?

Charles Pike wrote:

When is photography art?

My personal viewpoint (in general, with regards to all that has or might ever be "defined" as "art") is that the humanly invented and prosecuted and defended conceptualization of "art" is but an attempt to fashion a "science" carrying with it the alleged trappings of objectivity, whereas individual human perceptual prehensions, perceptions, and value-judgments are but a "subjectivity" of which it is a Sisyphian fool's errand to embark upon the self-annointed task of prosyletizing ...

Promit
Senior MemberPosts: 1,046Gear list
Like?

Photography is art, so are movies, so are video games. Your digital solarization, however...you might want to expand your horizons to, uh, anything else in the world.

Tip for everybody: If your response to "is photography art" is "this is my artistic photograph", you're going to get beat up. Not to mention that's a pretty egotistical move.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
eagle2a
Senior MemberPosts: 1,894
Like?
In reply to Promit, Apr 29, 2012

I have been into photography for well over 40 years and this question, "Is photography art?" Has been going on for all these years, and I'm sure that it has been going on since the days of Matthew Brady.

The answer that comes to my mind is, "It depends on the photograph, and the viewer."

As far as I am concerned personally, I have seen many photographs that are infinitely more artistic than many paintings that are considered really important works of art. I have also seen many photographs that were considered works of art, by some, that as far as I am concerned, were worthy of the trashcan. At the same time there are many so-called works of art in the world of painting that sell for many millions of dollars, but I would not give $.10 for.

So it's one of those questions that will go on as long as man walk's the planet Earth.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26289929@N05/

Don

IsabelS
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
For your perusal …
In reply to Charles Pike, Apr 29, 2012
hindesite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,275
Like?
Re: For your perusal …
In reply to IsabelS, Apr 29, 2012

Those are just beautiful, absolutely stunning. Absolutely inspired. Really reach out and demand an emotion.

Makes those who present anything less and call it "art" look quite silly, really.

intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,651Gear list
Like?
In reply to Charles Pike, Apr 29, 2012

Charles Pike wrote:

When is photography art?

always has been.

intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,651Gear list