My buddy got his D800 - This Canon guy is JEALOUS!

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions
prohidium
Regular MemberPosts: 262
Like?
My buddy got his D800 - This Canon guy is JEALOUS!
Apr 28, 2012

I am a Canon guy, 5Dm2, 7D and a bunch of L glass. My buddy is a Nikon guy, D3x, D3s and a bunch of Nikon glass.

We both do a lot of studio stuff but also just do a lot of anything. We always have the usual Nikon vs. Canon banter but deep down I always noticed a slight edge in the Nikon DR and chalked it up to the difference between a full on pro series vs. my Canon "semi-pro" series.

The D800 just changed all of that.

We took the D800 out of the box, popped on some decent glass and took a few shots of a street sign across the street....the result was wholly f.... look at the resolution!

We took a few more shots and then I got out my 5Dm2 to compare. No comparison to the D800.

We took it to the studio.

We are both absolutely blown away at the quality, resolution, sharpness, contrast, detail, you name it.....we are talking superb everything - except that we found the white balance to be a tad on the blue side.

So, this has really got me rethinking my canon position. This is real. I have seen it first hand now. I think I can now stomach the cost of switching against the reward of the better quality of the d800.

Hmmmm.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D3S Nikon D3X Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ecniv
Regular MemberPosts: 270
Like?
Re: My buddy got his D800 - This Canon guy is JEALOUS!
In reply to prohidium, Apr 28, 2012

Do you feel better now???

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
marksee
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ecniv, Apr 28, 2012

Relax, Canon hears you. Their engineers are working overtime. Hold on to your canon gear.

marksee's gear list:marksee's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 +1 more
cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 501Gear list
Like?

D800 looks gorgeous. If you want one, get it! Costs less than the 5D Mark III and 1DX anyway.

I love the 5D Mark III, myself. Then again, it's my first FF (moved up from 7D) If I already had a 5D Mark II, I doubt I would go for a 5D Mark III. That said, I'm really happy I waited to upgrade.

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
dogcow23
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?

if you 'need' resolution then you definitely should switch.

No doubt the d800 is a great camera, but that's just technology advancing (also Nikon tend to be more generous with the features they give prosumers). Unfortunately these camera manufacturers lock people in with their lens mount systems. So switching is impractical for most amateur and enthusiasts.

Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,452Gear list
Like?

prohidium wrote:

I am a Canon guy, 5Dm2, 7D and a bunch of L glass. My buddy is a Nikon guy, D3x, D3s and a bunch of Nikon glass.

We both do a lot of studio stuff but also just do a lot of anything. We always have the usual Nikon vs. Canon banter but deep down I always noticed a slight edge in the Nikon DR and chalked it up to the difference between a full on pro series vs. my Canon "semi-pro" series.

We took the D800 out of the box, popped on some decent glass and took a few shots of a street sign across the street....the result was wholly f.... look at the resolution!

We took a few more shots and then I got out my 5Dm2 to compare. No comparison to the D800.

We are both absolutely blown away at the quality, resolution, sharpness, contrast, detail, you name it.....we are talking superb everything - except that we found the white balance to be a tad on the blue side.

So, this has really got me rethinking my canon position. This is real. I have seen it first hand now. I think I can now stomach the cost of switching against the reward of the better quality of the d800.

Hmmmm.

Exactly, and glad to see this posted from a long-time Canon user like myself. Beware: You'll be accused of being a troll or worse for simply being honest

We have two fantastic cameras, but the D800 is simply amazing. The people who dont get that haven't shot one and compared. My friend also has the D800 and we compared to the 5DIII and 5DII. We had the same reaction as you.

I have glass for both systems, so I could order a D800 without much nail-biting. I do hope Nikon irons out the AF bugs before mine arrives. That does cause me some concern.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
prohidium
Like?

Ecniv wrote:

LOL, no. Seriously though, the D800 is an eye opener. It is a good thing I don't have any extra cash laying around!

I just hate it when my buddy one up's me though.

Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,019
Like?

prohidium wrote:

Ecniv wrote:

LOL, no. Seriously though, the D800 is an eye opener. It is a good thing I don't have any extra cash laying around!

I just hate it when my buddy one up's me though.

He'll only be one up on you if his images are better than yours and if they are then they would have been better if he'd used your camera

Birdman7
Contributing MemberPosts: 863Gear list
Like?
Re: Wud u have 're-thinked' b4 the D800 arrival....

....of selling ur Canon equipment and purchasing Nikon glass and buy a Nikon body? If ur answer is NO, then wudnt it make sense to wait, cause IM SURE Canon will raising the stakes, and in that case ud just need to invest in a new body, not body & glass to switch to Nikon and loss money in the process.

In the meantime, just be patient & content with what u have and keep taking pics.

Birdman7's gear list:Birdman7's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
altenae
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?
In reply to Dareshooter, Apr 28, 2012

I thought this D800 topics in the Canon forum was over .......

I was wrong and I think Andy asked us something a while ago.
I guess short memory for some users.

Really why telling us again another D800 success story in the Canon forum.
Already 4 topics in the last 10 minutes about the D800

JEALOUS !!!!!! come on it's only photo gear.....
--
Enjoy Photography
http://www.wildlife-photos.net

prohidium
Like?
In reply to dogcow23, Apr 28, 2012

dogcow23 wrote:

Now that I have seen what 36 clean megapixels looks like, I think everyone needs more resolution.

It is true that at 8x10, 9x12 printing there will not be much of a difference but the 24x36 print we made at 360 DPI showed absolutely no loss of detail down to the finest hair and the finest blood vesel in the eye. It is amazing how ugly I look at 24x36. It is like looking into a magnifying mirror.

jamesfrmphilly
Senior MemberPosts: 1,572Gear list
Like?
please buy a nikon nt

mo txt

Peter 13
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,301
Like?

Without samples this thread is worthless.

garyknrd
Contributing MemberPosts: 592Gear list
Like?

prohidium wrote:

dogcow23 wrote:

Now that I have seen what 36 clean megapixels looks like, I think everyone needs more resolution.

It is true that at 8x10, 9x12 printing there will not be much of a difference but the 24x36 print we made at 360 DPI showed absolutely no loss of detail down to the finest hair and the finest blood vesel in the eye. It is amazing how ugly I look at 24x36. It is like looking into a magnifying mirror.

LOL,,,,,,,,

garyknrd's gear list:garyknrd's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Pentax K-5 Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Sigma 300mm F2.8 APO EX DG HSM +2 more
Rickuz
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?

dogcow23 wrote:

And DR. Seriously, Im almost about to switch just because of the D800's huge advantage in DR.

As a whole, it feels like Nikon has spent a huge deal of money on still photography improvements, while Canon has spent most of their money on the video crap.

altenae
Regular MemberPosts: 377
Like?
In reply to Rickuz, Apr 28, 2012

Rickuz wrote:

dogcow23 wrote:

And DR. Seriously, Im almost about to switch just because of the D800's huge advantage in DR.

As a whole, it feels like Nikon has spent a huge deal of money on still photography improvements, while Canon has spent most of their money on the video crap.

You were about to switch 2 months ago.
What have you done in the meantime ?

Not taking pictures I guess.
But posting topics with the same BS contents.
--
Enjoy Photography
http://www.wildlife-photos.net

Greg Pavlov
Senior MemberPosts: 1,878
Like?

Agreed, but this didn't start with the D800: when looking at many of the facial closeups on these forums the last several years, the phrase that usually pops into my head is "too much information."

prohidium wrote:

Rick Knepper
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,303Gear list
Like?
Why switch?

Keep one of your Canon bodies, determine which lenses/FL range/features each company does best, and enjoy the best of both worlds. Plus, you get to laugh at idiots in both forums who make outlandish statements and claims.

prohidium wrote:

Hmmmm.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, photography never for sale, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +16 more
Christian Wagner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,546
Like?

dogcow23 wrote:

So switching is impractical for most amateur and enthusiasts.

This camera made me switch. And it wasn't impractical. I got 80% of what I paid for my 7 year old L's within 24 hours selling on Craigslist. Made the switch VERY easy and frankly a no brainer, especially since the 5diii is $500 more.

-- hide signature --

Chris

jon lake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,425
Like?
Be jealous
In reply to Rick Knepper, Apr 28, 2012

But. Only if your friend is the better photographer. It will always be the image that wins the acclaim, no matter how sharp and great the resolution of the brick walls people like to test their cameras on!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads