rugged Olympus TG-1 iHS Tough enthusiast camera

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions
Knight Palm
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,723Gear list
Like?
rugged Olympus TG-1 iHS Tough enthusiast camera
Apr 28, 2012
 Knight Palm's gear list:Knight Palm's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-400 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
jon404
Senior MemberPosts: 1,778
Like?
Re: rugged Olympus TG-1 iHS Tough enthusiast camera
In reply to Knight Palm, Apr 28, 2012

One concern -- its battery is a 'Li90B' ... apparently different from the Li50Bs in my XZ-1, SZ-10, and older SW1020 waterproof camera.

I like compatibility... and hope that the new battery will work in my older cameras as well!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Knight Palm
Like?
Re: Li-50B/Li-90B Battery
In reply to jon404, Apr 28, 2012

That could be they are compatible. Look at the single line here from Cameta kits for the TG-820 iHS: Spare Li-50B/Li-90B Battery

http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-Tough-TG-820-iHS-Shock-Waterproof-Digital-Camera-Blue-64827-kits.cfm

P.S.
iHS = Olympus Intelligent High-Speed/High Sensitivity Techonology

P.P.S: another acronym translation
IHS = Iesus, Hominem Salvator

Olympus XZ-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-400 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +4 more
eyalg
Regular MemberPosts: 257
Like?

Most exciting thing about it is its max f/2.0 aperture!

-eyalg

bartjeej
Regular MemberPosts: 262
Like?

Great to finally see rugged compacts become more serious as photographic tools! I'd like to see A/S/M modes and raw support, but it's definitely a move in the right direction. I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

Knight Palm
Like?
Remove the mode dial please!
In reply to bartjeej, Apr 29, 2012

I don't like the mode dial, rather I have it soft controlled like on the DSLRs E-3 & E-5. It would have made the cameras back layout a bit cleaner as well. Those mode dials usually spins too easily, which is a main problem on the XZ-1. You always have to look for it's accidentally altered setting, which is a real pain.

-Good to see the custom C1 & C2 modes, however only (P)rogram mode. I agree we would like to see A,S,M modes as well.

-But does this camera really needs RAW?

-I don't know? For what purpose? Correcting WB? No other reasons as far I can see, unless the camera is lacking a noise filter setting like the XZ-1 does. But this camera doesn't have the ambitious i.Zuiko lens like the XZ-1 for ulitmate image quality.

finches50
Senior MemberPosts: 1,238
Like?
Re: Remove the mode dial please!
In reply to Knight Palm, Apr 30, 2012

I just hope this isn't a rumor but is real. And not real into the far future. I've waited two years to get a underwater camera and time is ticking. They've put up new UW cams on their website just recently. wonder when this one might come.
--
finches50

BorisK1
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,869Gear list
Like?
F 2:0, and 25mm wide angle - wow!!!
In reply to eyalg, May 1, 2012

eyalg wrote:

Most exciting thing about it is its max f/2.0 aperture!

If I read it right, F:4.9 on the far end is a bit slow for my taste

But 25mm equivalent - wow. Just wow!

Now, if only my stupid Panasonic TS-1 would finally break down. I've had it for over four years now, and I let my two year old handle it as much as she wants, take it everywhere with me (including swimming pools), but aside from some dings and scratches, the silly hunk works just as well as it did on day 1. Die already! I want in upgrade!

BorisK1's gear list:BorisK1's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
BorisK1
Like?
Re: Remove the mode dial please!
In reply to finches50, May 1, 2012

finches50 wrote:

I just hope this isn't a rumor but is real. And not real into the far future. I've waited two years to get a underwater camera and time is ticking. They've put up new UW cams on their website just recently. wonder when this one might come.
--
finches50

Supposedly, it's a leak from BestBuy website, and Olympus is doing online teaser ads. If not in the stores' storage already, it's probably well on its way.

Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
wolfie
Senior MemberPosts: 2,496
Like?
Remove the tiny 1/2.3 sensor
In reply to BorisK1, May 2, 2012

and put in something at least as big as the XZ-1 - nobody is getting "Pro" quality from a sensor that small ...

-- hide signature --

Shoot the Light fantastic

BorisK1
Like?
Re: Remove the tiny 1/2.3 sensor
In reply to wolfie, May 2, 2012

wolfie wrote:

and put in something at least as big as the XZ-1 - nobody is getting "Pro" quality from a sensor that small ...

A bigger sensor would mean either a bigger lens, a darker lens, or reduced coverage on the wide end. Remember, these waterproof cams have to fit into my PFD pocket, which the XZ-1 decidedly won't be able to do.

The "pro" quality thing is pure marketing. Also, all sensors are decent at base ISO.

Babya
Regular MemberPosts: 374Gear list
Like?
Re: F 2:0, and 25mm wide angle - wow!!!
In reply to BorisK1, May 2, 2012

No aperture or shutter priority modes despite having a f2 lens (maybe cause it's a TOUGH camera), -but it has two custom setting modes and program mode of course.

Babya's gear list:Babya's gear list
Kodak DC3200 Olympus FE-310 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Fujifilm FinePix XP10 Canon PowerShot S95 +2 more
BorisK1
Like?
Manual control
In reply to Babya, May 2, 2012

Babya wrote:

No aperture or shutter priority modes despite having a f2 lens (maybe cause it's a TOUGH camera), -but it has two custom setting modes and program mode of course.

Unfortunately, this is the case with all waterproof compacts - they are all very difficult to control. IIRC, previous Olympus models didn't even let you adjust the basic jpeg conversion parameters like saturation.

The sole exception is the Panasonic TS-4 with its full-manual mode (but no aperture- or shutter- priority modes).

Each time I get a new camera, I have to go through all the modes and figure out which one uses settings that are closest to what I want. For example, in my old Pentax WR43, I mostly used "Portrait" mode (because it was the only one to open the aperture to the max), with "Landscape" focusing mode (because it set the lens to hyperfocal distance and reduced the shutter lag).

I never found a way to prevent that camera from closing down the aperture when flash was turned on.

happypoppeye
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,722Gear list
Like?
Looks great!!!
In reply to Knight Palm, May 2, 2012

I gotta say, a month ago this wouldn't even be on my radar but went to Songkran in Thailand two weeks ago and man, these waterproof guys are great ...I actually bought the cheapest piece o junk I could find, the panny ts20, which worked flawlessly, and my buddy had the TG-610 and it took some spectacular shots ...lets face it, these are point and shoots, not SLR's, but they are fun, and capture some great memories ...that little ts20 is a total piece of crap yet maybe the funnest time I've had with a camera in years. I can't stress how much fun these cameras are. I'll be getting this for sure as long as a few reviews are good...

Good luck getting these with an SLR:

-- hide signature --

http://www.wanderinground.wordpress.com
http://www.pbase.com/happypoppeye

It's almost all opinion folks, gonna have to deal with it.

Equipment: 1 Finger, an eye, a camera body and 50mm (equivalent) lens, half a brain, and a lot of money leftover to spend on using that equipment

happypoppeye's gear list:happypoppeye's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
alasta
Contributing MemberPosts: 540
Like?
In reply to Knight Palm, May 3, 2012

I think this falls a bit short of the 'enthusiast' threshold, but it's certainly getting closer to what I want to see out of a rugged camera. It may well be a worthwhile upgrade for my Nikon AW100 which suffers from an f/4 lens and a few minor quirks.

BorisK1
Like?
In reply to alasta, May 3, 2012

alasta wrote:

I think this falls a bit short of the 'enthusiast' threshold, but it's certainly getting closer to what I want to see out of a rugged camera. It may well be a worthwhile upgrade for my Nikon AW100 which suffers from an f/4 lens and a few minor quirks.

For a rugged cam, it's quite remarkable. The combination of 25mm on the wide end, the fast aperture, the new backlit sensor, and reasonable resolution should make it a huge step forward compared to the older models.

And it is an enthusiast camera - what else would you call kayakers, swimmers, hikers, climbers, cyclists, and surfers it's designed for. (Well, there are the beachgoers, too, but they don't count )

Shame about the lack of manual controls though.

happypoppeye
Like?
In reply to BorisK1, May 3, 2012

Hopefully there won't be major distortion at 25 like the ts20 which has the 25-100 lens already ...massive distortion...

BorisK1 wrote:

alasta wrote:

For a rugged cam, it's quite remarkable. The combination of 25mm on the wide end, the fast aperture, the new backlit sensor, and reasonable resolution should make it a huge step forward compared to the older models.

And it is an enthusiast camera - what else would you call kayakers, swimmers, hikers, climbers, cyclists, and surfers it's designed for. (Well, there are the beachgoers, too, but they don't count )

-- hide signature --

Equipment: 1 Finger, an eye, a camera body and 50mm (equivalent) lens, half a brain, and a lot of money leftover to spend on using that equipment

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS
BorisK1
Like?
In reply to happypoppeye, May 3, 2012

happypoppeye wrote:

Hopefully there won't be major distortion at 25 like the ts20 which has the 25-100 lens already ...massive distortion...

I looked at some image samples at Steves-Digicams - yes, you can see the top of the wall bending in the middle:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/panasonic/lumix-dmc-ts20/P1000078.JPG

Unfortunately, you pretty much have to expect geometric distortion and flare in an ultrawide lens. The best professional lenses suffer from it.

Geometric distortion is relatively easy to fix in postprocessing. Olympus Master software (included with all Olympus cameras) has this feature, I've used it before. Don't know if it works with this particular camera, of course.

Boris

BorisK1 wrote:

alasta wrote:

-- hide signature --

happypoppeye
Like?
In reply to BorisK1, May 3, 2012

Oh yeah, but real world testing shows much worse distortion than an SLR lens ...much worse ...of course this is a $170 camera so it is expected (the ts20 that is). Flare is actually fairly good and quite useful for the "into the sun shots".

Much harder to fix than most wide angles too. Again ...expected.

BorisK1 wrote:

happypoppeye wrote:

I looked at some image samples at Steves-Digicams - yes, you can see the top of the wall bending in the middle:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/panasonic/lumix-dmc-ts20/P1000078.JPG

Unfortunately, you pretty much have to expect geometric distortion and flare in an ultrawide lens. The best professional lenses suffer from it.

Geometric distortion is relatively easy to fix in postprocessing. Olympus Master software (included with all Olympus cameras) has this feature, I've used it before. Don't know if it works with this particular camera, of course.

Boris

BorisK1 wrote:

alasta wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

BorisK1
Like?
In reply to happypoppeye, May 3, 2012

happypoppeye wrote:

Oh yeah, but real world testing shows much worse distortion than an SLR lens ...much worse

Actually, can you show me some examples of that distortion? What I see on imaging-resource is clearly visible, but I wouldn't describe it as "horrible". And the line is just bent, it's not wavy like with some professional ultrawides. It would be noticeable if you shoot subjects with straight lines like architecture or furniture, and that's about it.

...of course this is a $170 camera so it is expected (the ts20 that is). Flare is actually fairly good and quite useful for the "into the sun shots".

Now that is good news. Low flare in an ultrawide camera without a lens hood is surprising.

Boris

Much harder to fix than most wide angles too. Again ...expected.

BorisK1 wrote:

happypoppeye wrote:

Boris

BorisK1 wrote:

alasta wrote:

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads