mFT forum activity currently off the charts

Started Apr 28, 2012 | Discussions
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,125Gear list
Like?
mFT forum activity currently off the charts
Apr 28, 2012

Is forum activity a barometer of interest and trends? Don't know, but currently the mFT forum is running at 3 full pages of posts in less than 24 hours, a veritable torrent of interest the scale of which I haven't seen before. By comparison in mirrorless, NEX is running at 1 1/2 pages, J1/V1 at 1/5th of one page (someone call an ambulance please).

Clearly the E-M5 is the source of much of this interest, as is the build-up to release of DPR's review (now on Monday) of it.

In pro DSLR's, the Nikon Dx/Dxxx page is very lively given the launch of the D800, running at just over 2 pages, while the Canon pro DSLR page is running at one page even with the launch of the 5D MkIII.

Surprisingly slow is the Canon Rebel forum which includes the T3i, running at about 1/5th of a page, and even the Nikon D3xxx/D5xxx/D7xxx forum that's running at less than a page.

The Olympus DSLR page, which I follow along with mFT, is actually doing better than I'd expect at just over 1/2 page given that their available bodies are narrowed down to the pricey and bulky E-5.

Not sure if or how this translates into sales and product growth, just found it interesting. Wouldn't be surprised if Canon and Nikon do as well.
--
Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D3X Nikon D800 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
BungHole
Contributing MemberPosts: 588Gear list
Like?
Re: mFT forum activity currently off the charts
In reply to sderdiarian, Apr 28, 2012

Giggity Giggity Goooo...heheheh Alright!
--

I need TP for my BungHole

BungHole's gear list:BungHole's gear list
Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
007peter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,053Gear list
Like?
Olympus 45mm and OM-D are the reason why I'm here

Just a few month ago, I was sure Olympus, INC was on its death bed after its financial scandals. Without a dedicated portrait prime, I have no interested in a this 'compromised' system then.

Now, I'm a proud owner of a 2nd hand Panasonic GF2. What changed my mind about m4/3 boils down to 2 main reasons:

• Olympus 45mm f/1.8 - finally a dedicated portrait prime, waited too long for this lens

• Olympus OM-D - good enough to compete against any canon dslr toe-to-toe

Thanks to Olympus, these 2 products alone makes me reconsider m4/3 again. While the High ISO is no where nearly as good as a Canon 600d or Nikon D3100, they're good enough and acceptable enough with noise ware professional.

The AF Tracking Speed - while not as good as dslr - getting close and improving all the time. m4/3 won't make me dump my dslr gear yet, but it is good enough that I have already sold some of my canon lens collection. I suspect, a year from now, I'll probably go m4/3 completely.

zkz5
Contributing MemberPosts: 642Gear list
Like?
too hard to follow

They really need to split up mFT into multiple forums. This is getting too hard to follow. The EM5 clearly could use its own forum. Maybe even one forum for the black version and another for the silver.

Macx
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
Re: too hard to follow
In reply to zkz5, Apr 28, 2012

While I agree that at the current rate, it would make sense to split up the forums, the sensible split would be between bodies and lenses, in my opinion. The only dilemma is, should people then post photos according to what lens they use or what body?

zkz5 wrote:

They really need to split up mFT into multiple forums. This is getting too hard to follow. The EM5 clearly could use its own forum. Maybe even one forum for the black version and another for the silver.

rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,916Gear list
Like?
In reply to Macx, Apr 28, 2012

Macx wrote:

While I agree that at the current rate, it would make sense to split up the forums, the sensible split would be between bodies and lenses, in my opinion. The only dilemma is, should people then post photos according to what lens they use or what body?

zkz5 wrote:

I don't think it makes sense to split between bodies and lenses. But it could make sense to split the forum between the higher end and the entry level bodies. However while the high end (GH3 and OM-D) and the lower end (GF2/3/4, E-Pm1) is relatively clear, it is not easy to define where to put the middle bodies like Gs, Gx, Gf1, E-Ps and E-Pls should go. Plus even the entry level bodies have many similarities with the other bodies.

Would it make more sense to differentiate between RF and DSLRs styled bodies ? I'm not even sure because their handling is not so different.

Still with the growing activity of the forum, it would make sense to split the forum.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,291Gear list
Like?
In reply to Macx, Apr 28, 2012

zkz5 wrote:

zing!

Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
sderdiarian
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,125Gear list
Like?
Re: still a sensible format for now
In reply to rrr_hhh, Apr 28, 2012

I think what DPR did in creating this forum was very sensible, putting Olympus and Panasonic together with their shared technologies and lenses, so all could easily see how they continued to evolve by playing off each other with successive models.

Time will soon tell whether we're currently seeing a temporary blip of excitement over a new and important launch, or if it will be sustained. The camera portion of the forums is essentially a gear forum, and susceptible to short term fascination with the new.

I look back at the interest generated by the G3, with people falling over themselves trying to find early copies to buy, and the almost complete lack of posts on it less than a year later.

We'll know in a couple of months. But then, the GH3 will be on the horizon, and possibly a pro-OM-D as well (hmmm...finally fast tracking ability and fast AF with 4/3's zooms, all wrapped in a larger body suited to larger lenses??).

If interest is sustained, I could see the site broken into two new forums, one for full-featured mFT's, one for rangefinder styled mFT's. I still like having Panasonic and Olympus together in one place, their comparable camera models having much in common, makes for fun dialog.

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Marla2008
Senior MemberPosts: 2,380
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, Apr 28, 2012

rrr_hhh wrote:

Macx wrote:

zkz5 wrote:

I don't think it makes sense to split between bodies and lenses. But it could make sense to split the forum between the higher end and the entry level bodies. However while the high end (GH3 and OM-D) and the lower end (GF2/3/4, E-Pm1) is relatively clear, it is not easy to define where to put the middle bodies like Gs, Gx, Gf1, E-Ps and E-Pls should go. Plus even the entry level bodies have many similarities with the other bodies.

Have you shot the GX-1 ? I own one, trust me, it belongs with the top dogs !

Would it make more sense to differentiate between RF and DSLRs styled bodies ? I'm not even sure because their handling is not so different.

Still with the growing activity of the forum, it would make sense to split the forum.

I respectfully disagree, it would make NO sense at all ! We all use a similar mount (m4/3) whatever body and lenses we're using. The system is still in its enfancy enough that all m4/3 users can share a broad data base, opinions, feddback, etc... I personally am interested about everything from top bodies (have the GX-1, and an E-M5 on order), to lenses (even though I'm close to my desired lens selection given what's available today), to older, cheaper bodies (always considering a smaller addtional cam)...

Marla.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

Mike Ronesia
Senior MemberPosts: 2,538Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marla2008, Apr 28, 2012

My time reading and posting in this forum had tripled since Tedof left so maybe it's only up because of the less hostile atmosphere.
--
It's easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads