Is the coast clear for buying 5D Mark III?

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions
BillyGoatGruff
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
Is the coast clear for buying 5D Mark III?
Apr 27, 2012

I realize it's a bit early, but has anyone received a new 5D3 since Canon announced the resolution to the light leak issue? If you did, was it an xxxxx1 or xxxxx2 serial number?

Is it possible that unsold defective units are being kept by Canon only to be repaired and sold as refurbished cameras?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
cpkuntz
Contributing MemberPosts: 501Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the coast clear for buying 5D Mark III?
In reply to BillyGoatGruff, Apr 28, 2012

Canon must have been shipping the xxxxx3 models before the announcement, because I ordered my camera on April 9, received it yesterday, and it is, indeed, the xxxxx3 model. There is no "light leak".

cpkuntz's gear list:cpkuntz's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
cyk
cyk
Forum MemberPosts: 51
Like?
In reply to cpkuntz, Apr 28, 2012

Thanks for the info. Good to know.

Jasper in SF
Regular MemberPosts: 334Gear list
Like?

Ordered mine from B&H on April 4. About two weeks ago they said it should be shipping in a week and a half, but that was before the 'recall.' Not a whisper since....

-- hide signature --

'There is no un-suck filter.'

• David duChemin

Which is too bad, because I could sure use one.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasper_rubin/

Jasper in SF's gear list:Jasper in SF's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,145Gear list
Like?

the coast was probably never unclear... I've got a supposedly effected batch. Try as I might I can't get the issue to show. If it's something that subtle you can't notice when looking for it I can't see it ever being an issue in practical use.

BillyGoatGruff
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
In reply to robonrome, Apr 28, 2012

I think that issue has been debated to death.

Some people see it as an issue. And we are the ones who don’t want to buy from the defective or defective/repaired batch.

ArabiaSandStorm
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
In reply to cpkuntz, Apr 28, 2012

Where did you get yours?

robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,145Gear list
Like?

I'm in Australia and bought mine here.

BillyGoatGruff wrote:

I think that issue has been debated to death.

Some people see it as an issue. And we are the ones who don’t want to buy from the defective or defective/repaired batch.

I can understand that. But I'm questioning whether this issue really applies to all serial numbered bodies in this batch - I mean I've thrown everything at this to see If I could get some variation in exposure from the reported conditions and nothing... so now I have a perfect camera body that has been artificially de-valued overnight because of the way this has been handled by Canon.

ArabiaSandStorm
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?
In reply to robonrome, Apr 28, 2012

Maybe they started to "enhance" the 5DM3 with the last bodies of the series 1 & 2 before they decide to announce the range of affected bodies. You are lucky you don't have to go through the return & wait, but you are absolutely right about the value as any prospect buyer will definitely be looking the other way when he knows that it is per-enhanced version.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads