Panasonic GH3 and G5 Coming-Great News-Still Need GPS!

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions
4thnebula
Senior MemberPosts: 1,500Gear list
Like?
Panasonic GH3 and G5 Coming-Great News-Still Need GPS!
Apr 27, 2012

It is very exciting that a new GH3 and G5 are coming this year. I hope to get one, or an E-M5. They all have articulating or flip down LCDs which are a must for me. I love my G2 and its articulating touch screen. The only thing missing now is a GPS module. I have been using my new Sony HX200V a lot during the past week along with its in-camera GPS. I know now I will never be without GPS on any new purchase.

Yes, this is an call to Olympus and Panasonic to add a GPS module to its lineup (or in camera GPS). I have read the rumours of Nikon adding an in-camera GPS to its new future cameras (great news). I emailed Olympus but they said there is no current plans to add GPS so I am out there.

Here's hoping.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
4thnebula
Like?
If the specs. on 43rds Rumours is accurate for GH3 I'm In!
In reply to 4thnebula, Apr 28, 2012

In-camera GPS!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Promit
Contributing MemberPosts: 907Gear list
Like?
Re: Panasonic GH3 and G5 Coming-Great News-Still Need GPS!

Yaaaaawn. On the list of features the cameras should have, GPS is a waste of thirty dollars or whatever the part costs. I'd rather they left it out and spent the money on something useful instead. Maybe wireless flash control, or a better screen, or sensor R&D, or pretty much anything.

Hell, I'd much rather have wifi than GPS.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II +13 more
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,137Gear list
Like?
In reply to Promit, Apr 28, 2012

Indeed. Better buffer for instance.

Unfortunately, these sensible features usually don't win against headline soundbite ones such as WiFi, GPS, etc.

Also, because of their popularity, features such as GPS and Wifi are much less expensive than 30 dollars per shot. Wireless flash control on the other hand is quite expensive. So by not having GPS they would not save enough to do wireless flash control

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?

For me there is no need for GPS in any camera, but it is an opinion and depends on the needs of each of us

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

God always take the simplest way.

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
snowshovel 1
Regular MemberPosts: 207
Like?

your right

Button Pusher
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?

Agreed.

I'm all for the features that can give me higher image quality first and foremost. Unless the GPS is going to get me to the location of the shot, I don't see it helping much for my desires.

Promit wrote:

Yaaaaawn. On the list of features the cameras should have, GPS is a waste of thirty dollars or whatever the part costs. I'd rather they left it out and spent the money on something useful instead. Maybe wireless flash control, or a better screen, or sensor R&D, or pretty much anything.

Hell, I'd much rather have wifi than GPS.

Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,819Gear list
Like?
In reply to 4thnebula, Apr 29, 2012

I'd like a GPS module in my next camera (not going to happen ecause it looks likely my next camera will be a GH2). I do alot of outdoor activities and it would be nice to be able to acurately place my pictures. I wonder if some sort of digital compass is also possible so I could tell which direction my camera was pointed in.

PhotographicPhil
Regular MemberPosts: 320
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, Apr 29, 2012

I also think GPS is a good idea. It seems cheap and compact enough to fit into compact cameras so why not m43? As well as the obvious benefits of seeing where a shot was taken, it also has implications for filing photos by location if so desired.

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,627Gear list
Like?
DPReview rates GPS in Panny ZS20/TZ30 the best! So...

…if they can fit the best into that little camera, they should be able to fit the same unit into the GH3! I’m not particularly keen on it myself (I navigate with paper maps!), but I can see how others would like it.

Cheers, geoff
--
Geoffrey Heard
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,819Gear list
Like?
Re: DPReview rates GPS in Panny ZS20/TZ30 the best! So...
In reply to Hen3ry, Apr 29, 2012

Hen3ry wrote:

…if they can fit the best into that little camera, they should be able to fit the same unit into the GH3! I’m not particularly keen on it myself (I navigate with paper maps!), but I can see how others would like it.

Even if you navigate with paper maps, would you not like to know where your picture was taken afterwards. Or do you copy out the picture code and stick it to your paper map?

Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,465Gear list
Like?

Dheorl wrote:

Hen3ry wrote:

Even if you navigate with paper maps, would you not like to know where your picture was taken afterwards. Or do you copy out the picture code and stick it to your paper map?

No need for that, we have memory for that

I always know where I take pictures

-- hide signature --

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 +4 more
Jun2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,211Gear list
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Apr 29, 2012

Some vibrational attachment would be better than GPS.

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

For me there is no need for GPS in any camera, but it is an opinion and depends on the needs of each of us

-- hide signature --

Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
Sean Nelson
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,922
Like?

Dheorl wrote:

Even if you navigate with paper maps, would you not like to know where your picture was taken afterwards.

That's why I add descriptive text and tags to the EXIF data in my photos.

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,476Gear list
Like?
Don't want GPS; would restrict my travel.

Perfect solution (for me) would be a separate module, or offer GPS and non-GPS GH3 bodies, like Sony does with some of their dSLRs.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +3 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,475Gear list
Like?

Do not be frustrated: I believe, there will be lots of 3d party GPS modules, and sooner that we think
--
I’m surprised how much Wikipedia contributes to the forum.

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
RDoc
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?

How much battery does the GPS take and how long to get a fix?

I know if I leave the GPS in my phone on very long it eats the battery. If it's going to get an accurate fix in a second or two, I'd think it would have to keep updating satellite positions pretty constantly, especially since it doesn't even have the coarse cell location to help.

4thnebula
Like?
In reply to RDoc, Apr 29, 2012

I just purchased a Sony HX200V and had the same concern regarding battery life. In that camera I got 744 photos with my first battery charge (using GPS with 544 of the photos). The initial GPS startup before taking any photos with the camera was about 3 minutes. After that, cold start-ups were about 40 sec. (was pretty consistent). From a warm set-up GPSwas 2-3 sec. even in my car holding the camera on top of the steering wheel (so will work through the window).

So the final analyses, I was very pleased, and surprised, by the battery usage.

It appears from this post that there are some pretty divergent opinions for GPS added to a camera. For me, obviously (If you read my Sony post last week) it is more a useful need than a want. But I can see where some may just hardly ever use it. Depends. That is where a module would be good. You can buy it and use it as needed or just don't get it.

pschatz100
Contributing MemberPosts: 577
Like?
What do you do with the GPS information?

I do not understand how one actually uses GPS info. On my E-PL2, I often take a picture of a sign as a way to document a location, or use the voice memo function to add comments.

What do you do with the GPS information?

-- hide signature --

pschatz100
It's not how many pixels you have... but how you use them.

PhotographicPhil
Regular MemberPosts: 320
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, Apr 29, 2012

My spare time is precious to me. Adding descriptive text to every photo is a waste of it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads