Leaving 5n at 800 ISO ?

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions
wll
wll
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,820
Like?
Leaving 5n at 800 ISO ?
Apr 27, 2012

With the 5n being so good at high ISO's I leave my ISO setting to 800 and forget about it.

It lets me stop down for sharpness and shoot at higher shutter speeds for no blurred images. Very rarely do I lower it to 4oo, and it only goes higher in dimly lit areas.

Whats your take.

wll

D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 5,827
Like?
Re: Leaving 5n at 800 ISO ?
In reply to wll, Apr 27, 2012

wll wrote:

With the 5n being so good at high ISO's I leave my ISO setting to 800 and forget about it.

It lets me stop down for sharpness and shoot at higher shutter speeds for no blurred images. Very rarely do I lower it to 4oo, and it only goes higher in dimly lit areas.

This does seem to be a good all-round speed for hand-held shooting.

I would go lower if on a tripod.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rakurai
Regular MemberPosts: 134Gear list
Like?

Exactly what I did just now

I was walking around downtown main shopping district, went in and out of building. It was around 6pm, so a bit dark outside.

I set the ISO 800, A mode, stopped down to f2 for the sharpness and I just forget about it. I concentrated more on the candid opportunity of the people I came across
--
Kei

rakurai's gear list:rakurai's gear list
NEX5R Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
yairmarx
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
show us some samples please
In reply to rakurai, Apr 27, 2012

I love reading about these different user tips, lets see some samples at these settings!

wll
wll
Like?
In reply to D Cox, Apr 27, 2012

Don't do much tripod stuff, unless it is product shots, and have not used the 5n for that yet. But ya, 800ISO seems to work pretty well.

wll

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 20,210Gear list
Like?
The 16mp sensor = Auto ISO for me...

Until the 16MP sensor cameras, I rarely ever used 'auto' ISO - I couldn't trust that the camera could produce if it crept into the higher ISOs, so I set it manually.

Once I got my A580, I found for the first time a camera I was comfortable setting to Auto ISO most of the time - overriding manually when I needed or wanted a specific setting, but the rest of the time knowing that the camera would produce excellent results anywhere within the ISO100 to ISO1600 range of the auto system, and also give access to some very excellent and useful 1/2 and 1/3 ISO stops that the camera could utilize. About the only thing I really wished I had on the A580 was a user-settable ISO ceiling, as I'd probably raise it to 3200, and even occasionally to 6400, depending on what I'm shooting. Alas, 1600 is the Sony-set limit.

So when I got the 5N with the same sensor, I went right to Auto ISO and tried it out, and sure enough, same reliability factor - I could trust the results I'd get from 100 to...OOH, it goes to 3200!...so now I get an even more usable auto ISO range. And again, it opens up the camera to using 1/2 and 1/3 stop ISOs which are very useful. If I'm shooting long-exposure stuff, I'll manually set 100...if I'm shooting handheld low light, I'll manually set 3200 or 6400 as needed, or use the MFNR settings on my 580 or HHT on the 5N. But otherwise, and especially birding and casual shooting, I love Auto ISO on this 16MP sensor.

-- hide signature --
 zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +22 more
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 8,253Gear list
Like?

you do realize that the higher ISO you use the lower the dynamic range and color depth you get

at ISO 800 your NEX-5n has about 10.5 EV of dynamic range, at base ISO it has 12.7 EV - - for each 1 EV change you double the dynamic range

at base ISO you get 23.6 bits of color depth, at ISO 800 this drops to around 19

by being lazy and not reducing ISO whenever possible you are throwing away dynamic range and color depth

go look at the ratings for the NEX-5n on DxoMark - - under measurements you can see how much you lose by pushing up the ISO.

for best image quality ISO should only be pushed up if it is needed to get the shot JMO

wll wrote:

Whats your take.

wll

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
kaku
Contributing MemberPosts: 552
Like?

Just my humble bumble opinion, but I always aim to shoot at the lowest ISO possible for clear(er) images. Unless, of course, one were going for a grainier look.

Now I get that sometimes you want to have a specific aperture and shuttle speed, which would require you to dial in a specific ISO. But honestly, I think I would get lazy and/or forget to change the ISO. It's just too bad manual mode doesn't have an auto-ISO setting (unless one were shooting with legacy glass).

wll
wll
Like?
Some Samples
In reply to yairmarx, Apr 27, 2012

yairmarx wrote:

I love reading about these different user tips, lets see some samples at these settings!

Go here and my post above this one.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=41305837

wll

jemez
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
In reply to kaku, Apr 27, 2012

I only got my 5n last week, but one of the first things I did was some comparisons of performance versus ISO. For this I took some pictures with distinct shadows, and looked for noise/detail in the shadows. It was really easy to see the improvement down to ISO 200 - in this case I stopped there since I was hand holding and the light wasn't great (I was down to 1/10 s). Personally I've tied ISO to a button, since I know I'll be adjusting this all the time.

GingerBread
Regular MemberPosts: 365Gear list
Like?

The drop in dynamic range as you increase ISO is enough that I prefer to use Auto ISO or just manually adjust it as needed. ISO 800 is pretty good on the 5N, but it is not as good as any ISO below 800, and each step costs you a bit.

-- hide signature --

Ging

GingerBread's gear list:GingerBread's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 +2 more
SamTruax
SamTruax MOD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,722Gear list
Like?
In reply to edwardaneal, Apr 27, 2012

Fortunately 10.5 EV is still pretty darn good... compared to many cameras just a couple of years ago.

I think it all depends on what you are doing with the images afterward as well. If you are just taking snaps then it is a pretty good strategy.

-- hide signature --

Sam

'Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it... albeit probably in colour the second time around.'

SamTruax's gear list:SamTruax's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Canon PowerShot A590 IS Canon PowerShot G7 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G11 +4 more
wll
wll
Like?

On my samples above, I was able to stop down and shoot at high shutter speed and for me, I cant see the noise at those speeds.

Many of you folks are MUCH more particular than I am, I think they look fine.

I don't pixel peep to much, only when it comes to the sharpness of my subject do I then examine.

wll

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 8,253Gear list
Like?
In reply to SamTruax, Apr 27, 2012

you are absolutely correct - 10.5 aint bad, but if you are shooting in good light why throw away the chance to capture more? - - -we have auto ISO it will keep your shutter speed at the greater of 2 times the focal length of the lens or 1/60th whichever is greater. put your camera in aperture priority mode and let the camera pick lower ISO's when it can

is good enough really all you want?

SamTruax wrote:

Fortunately 10.5 EV is still pretty darn good... compared to many cameras just a couple of years ago.

I think it all depends on what you are doing with the images afterward as well. If you are just taking snaps then it is a pretty good strategy.

-- hide signature --

Sam

'Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it... albeit probably in colour the second time around.'

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN
yairmarx
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: Some Samples

very nice. which lens did you use?

scrane
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?

I always prefer to shoot at base iso and only change the settings when necessary. Check out graininess in a blue sky to judge daylight noise.

bobmandwendyv
Contributing MemberPosts: 528
Like?
In reply to scrane, Apr 27, 2012

I am still using my ancient Nex3. It took me a while to get used to 200 being the minimum ISO after my even more ancient Fuji S1000fd where I aimed for 64 ISO.

I mostly leave it on Auto in shutter priority (quick dogs). Seems to work just fine. In Manual mode obviously things get a bit trickier, since there is usually an old lens on the business end. But I manage.

Regards,
Bob

wll
wll
Like?
In reply to scrane, Apr 27, 2012

scrane wrote:

I always prefer to shoot at base iso and only change the settings when necessary. Check out graininess in a blue sky to judge daylight noise.

On my pics ?

wll

scrane
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?
In reply to wll, Apr 28, 2012

wll wrote:

scrane wrote:

On my pics ?

wll

If you like.

maccam
Regular MemberPosts: 345
Like?
In reply to scrane, Apr 28, 2012

I have a problem with this concept. It seems lazy. I guess if you are a frantic shooter, it may be your preferred parctice and maybe even good for that... but. Let's shoot everything at ISO 800? NO! or slumming it at 400/

JAW

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads