D4 +300 2.8 + 2.0 TcIII

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions
paulwr
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
D4 +300 2.8 + 2.0 TcIII
Apr 27, 2012

Received my D4 this week (XQD reader included) and decided to test out the TC with the 300mm 2.8. Autofocus speed was great, particularly compared to the same lens setup on the D700 or D7000. Image quality is Ok, but that might be operator error, I was using a monopod that I can never quite get stable and it was pretty windy at the time.

PR

Nikon D4 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Raul
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,487Gear list
Like?
sharpening looks bad
In reply to paulwr, Apr 27, 2012
-- hide signature --

"The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young."
O.Wilde

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David Nall
Forum ProPosts: 13,099Gear list
Like?
Re: D4 +300 2.8 + 2.0 TcIII

They both look great. I would only adjust levels a little on the first one as the bluebird looks a little over exposed. Sharpening looks fine to me. Dave
--
Visit my gallery at http://www.poperotzy.smugmug.com
View of Yosemite Valley, Half Dome, Vernal and Nevada Falls

David Nall's gear list:David Nall's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +10 more
VicC
Senior MemberPosts: 1,240Gear list
Like?
Sharpening OK
In reply to David Nall, Apr 27, 2012

Nice pictures. Exposure is a bit over exposed, and easily improved with anything, say levels maybe. Vic

uncletim
Forum MemberPosts: 85
Like?

Nice shots! Great rig.

I find the 2.0 TcIII is capable of fine images if you stop down and keep it on a tripod. Whenever I hand hold with my 70-200 2.8, I lose any razor sharpness and holding focus on my d200 is difficult. Things go to mush pretty quickly with this rig if not on a tripod.

Looking forward to trying the cam 3500 on the d800 when it arrives.

Are you generally happy with the 2.0 TcIII on the D4? Can you hand hold and get good results? Any AF hunting going on?

Thanks.

LD_50
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
In reply to uncletim, Apr 27, 2012

Are you generally happy with the 2.0 TcIII on the D4? Can you hand hold and get good results? Any AF hunting going on?

I tested my TC-20E III on 70-200 2.8 VRII a few weeks ago at a soccer game and had no issue holding focus or achieving sharp results while shooting handheld. IQ at 400mm EFL was not to the level of the 70-200 without TC but still acceptable. I had no issue with AF hunting with this combo on the D4.

LD_50's gear list:LD_50's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200mm f/2G ED VR II +1 more
weinschela
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
Re: sharpening looks bad
In reply to Raul, Apr 27, 2012

Gee Raul, what a nice note you posted. I assume all of your images are utterly perfect.

weinschela's gear list:weinschela's gear list
Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Raul
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,487Gear list
Like?
usually, yes
In reply to weinschela, Apr 27, 2012

weinschela wrote:

Gee Raul, what a nice note you posted. I assume all of your images are utterly perfect.

-- hide signature --

"The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young."
O.Wilde

degsy_safc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,357
Like?

Ohhh dear

Apologies for speaking my mind but these shots are not at all good examples from such good equipment. Shutter speed, aperture and ISO are all in the right ball park to produce stellar images, but these samples don't come anywhere close at all..

The OP does suggest that they had problems with the monopod and stability and it shows in the first image which looks average point and shoot quality to say the least.

I have seen shots from the 300 f2.8 with the 2.0TC III on a D300 at ISO 320 and 1/60 second which totally blow this away..

The D4 and this lens / TC combo should be more than capable - i don't understand why the quality is so poor.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Derek

paulwr
Forum MemberPosts: 69
Like?
In reply to degsy_safc, Apr 27, 2012

Thanks for all the comments and advice, positive and negative. I dont disagree that the image quality can be improved, that's why i stated Image quality was "OK", my way of saying mediocre. Not totally surprising given these were my first shots with this combo.

Not sure I have found a point and shoot capable of delivering that image though.

PR

Georgino
Regular MemberPosts: 380Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulwr, Apr 28, 2012

The first image is very mediocre, but I was also never able to get fantastic quality with 300 2.8 and TC2. 5% of the time I got stelar quality but most of the time so so even if I use f8
However 300 2.8 with 1.7 TC is fantastic combo

Thanks for sharing

-- hide signature --
 Georgino's gear list:Georgino's gear list
Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
degsy_safc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,357
Like?
In reply to paulwr, May 3, 2012

paulwr wrote:

Thanks for all the comments and advice, positive and negative. I dont disagree that the image quality can be improved, that's why i stated Image quality was "OK", my way of saying mediocre. Not totally surprising given these were my first shots with this combo.

Well done Paul - some people take criticism really badly and react accordingly. However your response is very measured and considered considering the criticism you received including that from me. With your positive outlook and ability to take criticism so well i'm sure you'll get to grips with the new combo very soon.

Not sure I have found a point and shoot capable of delivering that image though.

Looking again at your initial pictures i stand corrected and agree with you based on the fact you shot them at 1600 & 1000..

Good luck with the new camera and lens - its a magnificent combination and i'm sure you'll get to grips with it very quickly.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Derek

sssesq
Contributing MemberPosts: 859Gear list
Like?
In reply to degsy_safc, May 3, 2012

Hi, Nice shot, but there are a couple of things you may want to consider here. (1) was this a super tight crop? The sharpness is just not quite there and you may be getting to the limits of the D4 to resolve small objects - The D800 would serve better for those times when you need to really crop. (2) The focus may be off a few mm as the branch to the left seems (?) a tiny bit clearer. (3) one way that you can get an apparent increase in sharpness is to very sl decrease the exposure (in this shot) and up the contrast a little as sharpness is better perceived when the line separating the objects is more pronounced.

sssesq's gear list:sssesq's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
Gary Anderson
Forum MemberPosts: 72Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulwr, May 3, 2012

Really small DOF for f8, or is something else happening? Post? I'd a thunk the whole branch would be in focus.

Gary Anderson's gear list:Gary Anderson's gear list
Nikon D4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads