Which photo sharing website?

Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions
Michael McCarthy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,553
Like?
Which photo sharing website?
Apr 27, 2012

What are a few of the better FREE photo sharing/posting sites? High bandwith is prefferable of course. I just signed up with flickr but limited to 200 photos for free, and I don't like the layout too much.

Thanks

mholguin
Regular MemberPosts: 145
Like?
Re: Which photo sharing website?
In reply to Michael McCarthy, Apr 27, 2012

Google+ is nice. But I think non member might not have access to some contents, and I think I've read some concerns with regards of the User Agreement.

Red Bubble is another option to showcase your work, and they even sell it for you...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Camnu
Regular MemberPosts: 118
Like?
In reply to mholguin, Apr 27, 2012

I'm searching a website too.

I agree that Flickr design is not very nice, and we can't see the pictures fullscreen.

There's also: Photobucket.com , but the design is not nice neither.
Imgur.com is simple, but limited amount of pictures.

KilroyWasHere
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
In reply to Camnu, Apr 27, 2012

Fotocommunity.com

Phodia.net

h0tsauce
Forum MemberPosts: 77
Like?

Facebook, picture sharing site is only good if you have people to share it with.

WIMorrison
Contributing MemberPosts: 796Gear list
Like?

Have you looked at PicasaWeb from Google - masses of free space and the Picasa tool is also very useful for cataloging images

All you need is a google mail account

WIMorrison's gear list:WIMorrison's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
El Duende
Contributing MemberPosts: 515Gear list
Like?
500px.com
In reply to WIMorrison, Apr 27, 2012

Love, love, love this site. Best of all the ones I've tried.

-- hide signature --

paul v

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nikon Blog: [ http://www.nikonblog.net ]
Photo Gallery: [ http://paulvachier.500px.com ]

El Duende's gear list:El Duende's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
hatchback
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?

In this world there is nothing really for "FREE" (always there are some hidden costs - like ads, etc).

So maybe better is to purchase domain+hosting and have website which will satisfy you in 100%?

FujicaST605
Regular MemberPosts: 329Gear list
Like?
Re: 500px.com +1
In reply to El Duende, Apr 27, 2012

+1!

El Duende wrote:

Love, love, love this site. Best of all the ones I've tried.

-- hide signature --

paul v

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nikon Blog: [ http://www.nikonblog.net ]
Photo Gallery: [ http://paulvachier.500px.com ]

FujicaST605's gear list:FujicaST605's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II +2 more
Blue Guitarist
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?

I've done the free route, and it served it's purpose. If you choose to go beyond free at some point, its worth keeping SmugMug on your short list. Looks nice, easy to use, easy to share pictures from (anonymously and otherwise), responsive support staff, no upload limits and no ads.

Rob Nagelhout
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to Michael McCarthy, Apr 29, 2012

Hi all, I'm on a small site called Phodia. The average age is a bit higher then normal and the members have spent lots of time on almost every site there is. This site is started because some people get fed up with the hassle on most other sites and the "oh so beautiful" comments. We try to give honest comments and help each other getting better. You're invited for a visit on http://www.phodia.net
Maybe we see each other on Phodia, give it a try
best regards, Rob

raphaelfreeman
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
In reply to Rob Nagelhout, Apr 29, 2012

I use http://www.phanfare.com . You can try it out for free for 2 weeks I believe, but of course it's the paid version that's really interesting. I know your question specifically asks for a free site, but as has been correctly mentioned, free comes at a cost.

However, the ability to try out phanfare for free is great and if you decide that is a direction to go, then it is unlimited upload (I currently have 108 GB of data!)

Check it out once you've decided that you want paid storage.
--
Raphael Freeman

robjons
Regular MemberPosts: 252Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael McCarthy, Apr 29, 2012

Good thread, thanks.

So... this 500px looks nice, but 20 minutes later I still can't determine if its free or if a limited version is free or if not, how much it is. ??

Clarity vs ambiguity. DPreview is one of the best looking, easiest to use sites I've ever seen. I wish others would emulate it.

WIMorrison
Like?
In reply to robjons, Apr 29, 2012

robjons wrote:

Good thread, thanks.

So... this 500px looks nice, but 20 minutes later I still can't determine if its free or if a limited version is free or if not, how much it is. ??

Clarity vs ambiguity. DPreview is one of the best looking, easiest to use sites I've ever seen. I wish others would emulate it.

absolutely agree - might be a good site, cant work out what you get if you dont take out a subscription

If you ant to build a free website then Weebly is cool - and easy to see what is free

http://www.weebly.com

Nikon D7000 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +11 more
robjons
Regular MemberPosts: 252Gear list
Like?
In reply to WIMorrison, May 3, 2012

500px: I do like it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Started uploading some images. (Most of the photos on the site are of better quality than mine and appear semi-pro).

But its a pretty good value ($20/yr), shows images large, plus exif data, google map location, etc.

http://500px.com/jeyerx
...if you want to see a few travel photos: Russia, Egypt, Japan, Norway.

Thanks.

Michael McCarthy
Like?
In reply to Michael McCarthy, May 3, 2012

Michael McCarthy wrote:

What are a few of the better FREE photo sharing/posting sites? High bandwith is prefferable of course. I just signed up with flickr but limited to 200 photos for free, and I don't like the layout too much.

I take pics at my church events and would like a free, simple, easy place for those in the congregation, who are interested, to view them. Have no interest in general public viewing or sale of pics.

WIMorrison
Like?

Michael McCarthy wrote:

Michael McCarthy wrote:

I take pics at my church events and would like a free, simple, easy place for those in the congregation, who are interested, to view them. Have no interest in general public viewing or sale of pics.

Try picasa from google, upload to picasaweb and tell your congregations where the pictures are, it is free and does what it says on the tin

Michael McCarthy
Like?
Lose copyright rights at Picasaweb
In reply to WIMorrison, May 3, 2012

WIMorrison wrote:

Try picasa from google, upload to picasaweb and tell your congregations where the pictures are, it is free and does what it says on the tin

Just took a look at Google's Picasa web and see that Google can use any of my pics for whatever purpose they want. I don't think pics of kids/people in my congregation would approve of that practice.

SleeperSmith
Forum MemberPosts: 75
Like?

Michael McCarthy wrote:

Thanks

Whatever you do. Stay away from these two:

• Facebook : Compresses your photo to absolute utter trash with horrible jpeg artifacts.

• Flickr : Absolutely the worst viewing platform. Every time I view flickr with my 24" monitor, I cringe. Photos are displayed with 640px max on longest side. You click on original, and you are greeted 1/4th of the image in full 12mp. You use the slide show, you are greeted with a 960px image upsized IN BROWSER and get a blurry pile of crap. There's absolutely no way to view photos hosted on Flickr in 1920x1080 screen. Utter trash.

I vote picasa. All you need to do is sign in to Picasa with Gmail account, then sign into Google+ and you are entitled to upload images with 2000px on longest side for free. I uploaded probably a few hundred photos, and I barely used 10% of my free storage. Everyone who view my galleries enjoy full resolution on 1920x1080 screens.

BKile
Regular MemberPosts: 243
Like?
Re: 500px.com
In reply to El Duende, May 4, 2012

I just cancelled my 500px about 2 weeks ago after being on there for 6 weeks. Yes, the images show well there and I made some good friends, but the positives end there. The voting is run by a group of people who spend HOURS a day politicking on the site faving, liking, etc and will dislike any image that gets in their way. The 'dislike' feature weighs more heavily into the vote than any fave or 'like' would. Their voting algorithm is supposed to be a 'secret' but people are figuring it out and LOTS of members have confronted 500px about it, the dislike button, etc. and are just given cliche responses. 2 weeks ago many members decided to email 500px about the fraudulent voting system and 500px returned every one and accused the members of spamming! There is NO customer service, they do NOT listen to their members, and they are in full knowledge of the misuse of the 'dislike' button and refuse to do anything about it. Watch their posts under Q&A or suggestions. As soon as some opposition comes up, they close the thread to future responses. Watch your back - the last image I posted reached 98.4 and with 2 dislikes (500px confirmed that 2 people had disliked the image) the rating tumbled to 96.6 within 20 minutes! Watch your back and proceed at your own risk. Many have left in recent days. Several have gone to Fotoblur. Avoid 500px like the plague and for heaven's sake don't give them money!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads