Started Apr 27, 2012 | Discussions
carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,687Gear list
Like?
Re: The sad fact is
In reply to DotCom Editor, Apr 27, 2012

DotCom Editor wrote:

clager wrote:

After having seen hundereds of shots now, taken by the MIII and the D800, its quite obvious that the overwhelming majority simply havent got a clue of how to achieve correct exposure or doesnt realize the value of correct exposure.

The sad fact is there a lot of people who believe photography is about the gear and little else. We know it's about light and exposure and that the choice of gear borders on the irrelevant. Alas, the number of forums where actual photographers can converse about photography rather than pixel wars seems to be dwindling. Put a 1970s-era manual-focus, meterless camera in their hands and they wouldn't have a clue.

Do you know how to use a slide rule?

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JasonED
Contributing MemberPosts: 777
Like?
Re: Living in the past

DotCom Editor wrote:

Put a 1970s-era manual-focus, meterless camera in their hands and they wouldn't have a clue.

And frankly I would care as I don't have any interest in using a 1970s camera. Times change as does technology and how you can use it.
--
The sky is blue and there is nothing we can do..

Scott Larson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,160Gear list
Like?

DotCom Editor wrote:

Put a 1970s-era manual-focus, meterless camera in their hands and they wouldn't have a clue.

That's because almost all cameras from the 70's had a meter. Even my Canon FTQL from the 60's has a meter in the viewfinder.

Why? So you can expose properly, silly! Isn't that the point of this thread?

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +10 more
carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,687Gear list
Like?
Re: People skills vs photo skills
In reply to bobn2, Apr 27, 2012

bobn2 wrote:

clager wrote:

You are the moron and youre not reading the posts, this is not a conversation about cameras, its about exposure, regardless of camera make.

So then. What is 'correct exposure' and what is its value? (third time of asking)
--
Bob

You can ask three thousand times he still does not have an answer.

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
Kevin Layer
Regular MemberPosts: 126
Like?
Re: learn how to expose laddies!
In reply to bobn2, Apr 27, 2012

The true test of a troll, one that won't have an actual conversation. Just meta-conversation and attacking.

Nothing to see here, move along.

bobn2 wrote:

clager wrote:

Nope! no trolling here, check my past. Now, get the all-bran out.

If you're not a troll, how about answering my question?

You've accused all these people of not knowing about 'correct' exposure and not knowing its value, so what is 'correct' exposure and what is its value?
--
Bob

Mikael Risedal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,927
Like?
Re: Learn how to expose properly! = ignorance
In reply to clager, Apr 27, 2012

you do not have a clue what large DR means and and what medium gray represents and number of stops up to clipping means? Do YOU

DotCom Editor
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,464Gear list
Like?
Slide rule? Still have mine
In reply to carlk, Apr 27, 2012

carlk wrote:

Absolutely, positively yes. Still have my K+E (Keuffel & Esser) slide rule from junior high school and I know exactly where it is.

Yes, they have been superseded by newer technology (remember the Bowmar Brain calculator?), but my slide rule requires neither batteries nor firmware updates.

DotCom Editor
Like?
We learn from the past
In reply to JasonED, Apr 27, 2012

JasonED wrote:

DotCom Editor wrote:

And frankly I would care as I don't have any interest in using a 1970s camera. Times change as does technology and how you can use it.

I'll make a note of that for all the people still using view cameras with 4x5-inch sheet film (and there are lots of them!).

When I was in college (not that long ago), the camera club initiation ritual required each prospective member to shoot with a vintage Speed Graphic, develop the film in Kodak HC-110, and make prints developed in Dektol.

Indeed, today, people still study the Zone System, though one can argue that it is a relic of the 1950s.

With tools such as Live View, photographers are once again learning the advantages of manual focusing.

noirdesir
Forum ProPosts: 10,558
Like?
Re: learn how to expose laddies!
In reply to Kevin Layer, Apr 27, 2012

Kevin Layer wrote:

The true test of a troll, one that won't have an actual conversation. Just meta-conversation and attacking.

That sounds similar to the touring test, maybe trolls could be defined as posters not passing the touring test.

DotCom Editor
Like?
In reply to Scott Larson, Apr 27, 2012

Scott Larson wrote:

DotCom Editor wrote:

That's because almost all cameras from the 70's had a meter. Even my Canon FTQL from the 60's has a meter in the viewfinder.

Not medium-format cameras. Anyone with a Bronica, Hasselblad, Mamiya, or Rolleiflex wouldn't think of leaving the house without the trusty Gossen Luna Pro handheld meter. I should hundreds of weddings using Mamiya RB67 and Mamiya Universal gear shooting 220 roll film. It was all, all manual -- even hand cranking the film to advance it for the next exposure.

ScottieC
Contributing MemberPosts: 643Gear list
Like?
Truth!
In reply to Victor Engel, Apr 27, 2012

Truth!

Victor Engel wrote:
You learned a valuable lesson -- just not the one you expected.

PunkRock wrote:

I came to this thread interested and to learn, I was misled.
--
Meat=Murder

-- hide signature --

ScottieC's gear list:ScottieC's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
tko
tko
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,901
Like?
and you have added value?

In what way are you adding value to the forum? A person who can't post a single photo, not a single gallery, not a single link. A legend in his own mind.

Obviously you have a degree in what? Criticism? You know what they say about teachers. Wow. A whole 360 posts. And such an experience user with brilliant questions like this:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&message=36731102

"well its another question! being used to Nikon, no, I cant find where in the camera or in the menues I go in to set the centre-point only, to AF."

Can't even RTFM, but wants to tell us how to expose? Pathetic.

clager wrote:

Hi David, youre post is brillant!!! but Im afraid you/me, are waisting our time, unfortunately, this is a gear forum, hence, there isnt much knowledge about anything.

Most people here shoot for their family album, cats, dogs, babies, etc. You might say weekend snappers.
Well. I think you can imagine?

Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
A TROLL with the biggest...

... delusion is off his meds:

clager wrote:

The few of us here who has been with it from the old film-days, stand out for miles.

Just not far enough - too bad so we still can hear him. LOL!

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,085Gear list
Like?
Technique

I just walk out on the front lawn and open my trench coat. That is proper exposure.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +14 more
tony field
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,730
Like?
Re: Learn how to expose properly!
In reply to nyc2012, Apr 27, 2012

nyc2012 wrote:

PS. You are welcome to view my gallery

I would love to - but your gallery web page is not in your post/signature nor is it in your profile.
--
tony
http://www.tphoto.ca

Scott Larson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,160Gear list
Like?
In reply to DotCom Editor, Apr 28, 2012

DotCom Editor wrote:

Not medium-format cameras. Anyone with a Bronica, Hasselblad, Mamiya, or Rolleiflex wouldn't think of leaving the house without the trusty Gossen Luna Pro handheld meter.

We're not talking about medium-format cameras or handheld meters. Or pinhole cameras made from oatmeal containers.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +10 more
JasonED
Contributing MemberPosts: 777
Like?
Re: We learn from the past

DotCom Editor wrote:

JasonED wrote:

DotCom Editor wrote:

I'll make a note of that for all the people still using view cameras with 4x5-inch sheet film (and there are lots of them!).

When I was in college (not that long ago), the camera club initiation ritual required each prospective member to shoot with a vintage Speed Graphic, develop the film in Kodak HC-110, and make prints developed in Dektol.

Indeed, today, people still study the Zone System, though one can argue that it is a relic of the 1950s.

With tools such as Live View, photographers are once again learning the advantages of manual focusing.

So what does knowing how to use a 4x5 inch view camera with sheet film have to do with a modern digital camera?
--
The sky is blue and there is nothing we can do..

BigBen08
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,332
Like?
Re: Slide rule? Still have mine

DotCom Editor wrote:

carlk wrote:

Absolutely, positively yes. Still have my K+E (Keuffel & Esser) slide rule from junior high school and I know exactly where it is.

LOL :), and I still have my Pickett from high school. It came with a case that I wore on my belt. I sure looked like a nerd!

Press Correspondent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,342Gear list
Like?
Re: Technique
In reply to Schwany, Apr 28, 2012

Schwany wrote:

I just walk out on the front lawn and open my trench coat. That is proper exposure.

In low light with high ISO?

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
DotCom Editor
Like?
Re: We learn from the past
In reply to JasonED, Apr 28, 2012

JasonED wrote:

So what does knowing how to use a 4x5 inch view camera with sheet film have to do with a modern digital camera?

Absolutely nothing. And that's exactly my point.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads